AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-20, 20:02   Link #121
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
I think they wear that for fun on Saturaday afternoon.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 21:11   Link #122
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Can somebody tell me the name of the 'Heavenly Chorus' that plays in the background in Ep02 when Sunako is unbuttoning the guy's shirt? It is a very familiar tune, and it has been bugging me. They played it in Ep01 as well, when they were contrasting her darkness to the guy's brightness.
Just bringing my question to the next page.

Narf.
Old 2006-10-20, 21:34   Link #123
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Sorry Skane, I really don't know.

I'm hoping to see a beautiful Sunako. Here's hoping.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 02:06   Link #124
Shiro_Ryu
Anime Rookie

Ep 2 was funny when Sunako compared becoming beautiful to Defying the will of God. Toi is right. It would only take a little bit of effort to make Sunako "beautiful". I believe that this is a fun show, and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
Shiro_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 02:54   Link #125
JediNight
キズランダム

I just couldn't really get into this series, but Sunako reminds me of the Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy episode where Mandy enters the beauty pageant. At the end of the episode Mandy smiles and it brings about the end of the world LOL...
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 03:43   Link #126
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

After seeing episode 2 I came to the realization that this show might just be the single most superficial thing I have ever seen in my life. The amount of importance that this show places on appearance is absolutely staggering. Absolutely nothing except for one's "brilliance" is even remotely considered importance. And everyone seems to think that becoming more attractive is only important part of becoming a better person.

Perhaps most anime (and other media) are willfully ignoring the real world when they talk only of one's "heart" and other inner qualities as if they can really cement someone's place in the world. However this is just so far in the other direction that I get almost ill watching Sunako told that she can come in out of the dark to rejoin society if she is willing to work on her physical appearance.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 03:54   Link #127
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
After seeing episode 2 I came to the realization that this show might just be the single most superficial thing I have ever seen in my life. The amount of importance that this show places on appearance is absolutely staggering. Absolutely nothing except for one's "brilliance" is even remotely considered importance. And everyone seems to think that becoming more attractive is only important part of becoming a better person.
Time for some lamblasting.... did you read the manga? The answer to your question actually is: no, it isnt the case. And after reading 15 volumes of it, I can only say: no, it is not that cheap -- it never really tries to invalidate sunako's persistent choice of isolation, love of horror stuff and such..... and well, it is at least less superficial than say, your favorite show, Bleach, which breaks every single record imaginable in my book as as the laziest and talentless shonen manga I have ever seen.

I can understand up to episode 2 that may be the impression it gives, but well, it is still only ep. 2......

And I am glad it seems to be as shown in ep 3 the series has a tendency to steer away from the my fair lady thing even further than the manga. It is a good combination of the last 2 chapters in vol. 1.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 03:58   Link #128
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Thank you for reassuring me that this show is going to have more depth than I've seen the first 2 episodes. I'll continue watching on your assurance.

BTW, I'm well aware of Bleach's limitations (of which this thread is certainly not the place to go into) and it is very far from my favorite show. I'm not sure why you felt the need to put down another less-than-stellar show in order to make this one seem more attractive. That very nearly managed to make me ignore the rest of what you had to say.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-10-21, 04:05   Link #129
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Thank you for reassuring me that this show is going to have more depth than I've seen the first 2 episodes. I'll continue watching on your assurance.

BTW, I'm well aware of Bleach's limitations (of which this thread is certainly not the place to go into) and it is very far from my favorite show. I'm not sure why you felt the need to put down another less-than-stellar show in order to make this one seem more attractive. That very nearly managed to make me ignore the rest of what you had to say.
Maybe it is called -- a taste of his own medicine? My bad I still thought you are a big fan of bleach anyhow -- sorry for that. However, you dont wanna judge any series by 2 ep., without anyknowledge of the series at hand. It is very basic rule of evaluating any stuff, and I suppose you are smarter than that.

And I dont need to remind you that you are purposedly the admin of this forum, and Sir, please stay away from this kind of emotional response if you think you have watched something you dont like.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 04:14   Link #130
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Actually the vast majority of shows give a good sense of what they are like by the second episode. There are exceptions of course, but they are less than 1 show out of 10. That's why I bothered to post about the show instead of simply writing it off. When something I watch has no promise at all, I don't bother to post anything in its thread. There are a staggering number of threads I don't bother to post in.

PS. If I posted everything from the point of view of being an admin while ignoring the fact that I am also a fan, then I would be a very boring person. Most people can simply accept that my opinion and point of view is different from their own as long as I am polite about it. You should not fear that I will chase other people from liking this show just because of my status. They really aren't that impressed by me.

Old 2006-10-21, 09:07   Link #131
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Lol, I know where you are coming from but I didn't take it that way.

I thought what they were trying to say was that a positive attitude, self respect, confidence, and courtesy makes you more beautiful and attractive.

Someone who lacks those qualities will diminish their natural beauty (like sunako does). Of course the show acknoledges that there is a limited range in which a person can improve (barring plastic surgery, etc)

The conventional wisdom in the US is that beauty and personality have no connection whatsoever, that there are beautiful but evil types, and ugly people with hearts of gold.

Perhaps it is a buddhist influence that allows people to accept that the two are linked:
supposedly anger is what makes you ugly. So if you were born hideous, but are a very calm and sweet person, perhaps you were a very angry person in your previous life Being positive and striving towards beauty might not have a big payoff in this lifetime, but perhaps you'll be born with commesurate beauty next time?
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 12:52   Link #132
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I don't take this show too seriously, but I can't help being critical. Sunako must have one hell of an inferiority complex to think of herself as ugly. Fact is, dry skin and pimples aside, she's among the best looking girls in the whole show, if not the best. The goth lolis disturbed me, and it didn't help that their drawings were ugly; the same can be said about the ganguro girls. I almost even shouted when she cut her bangs; if that's how ugly she thought she was, she probably has a skewed imagination - a really twisted one. Really, I like how she looked when she cut off her bangs; I hope a love story develops between Sunako and Kyouhei, because I want a happy ending. An ending like Ouran would be very good, however, but if there would be a little more closure, then so much the better (like an implication of them ending up?).
Old 2006-10-21, 13:13   Link #133
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

You have issues when you think you're ugly despite looking as good as this:

Spoiler for not really, but to save space:

In fact, you have a lot. :|
Old 2006-10-21, 15:54   Link #134
Nvenya

I don't think you have to have a lot of issues. The ones you do have are probably pretty severe such as anorexia, Body Dysmorphic disorder, etc. It is pretty common in the United States for attractive women to have inferiority complexes. Men are also falling into this trap now with the metrosexual movement. In some people's minds it is hard for the average person to compare to plastic surgery and airbrushing.

Example: I told someone I was a Mexican woman and they asked me if I looked like Jennifer Lopez or Salma Hayek. I'm not ugly, but I really didn't want to be compared to them. Nor was there any reason for that person to even bring them up as options for comparison. I guess Mexicans are rare and exotic animals.

I'm really enjoying this show and can't wait for Ep 03.
Nvenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 17:16   Link #135
JediNight
キズランダム

Well from the exposition at the start of ep1, it seems more a mental issue with Sunako. She really liked that one guy and he was a superficial jerk and said she was ugly. So now she believes it no matter what else people say.
Old 2006-10-21, 18:40   Link #136
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I really love this show. It certainly puts a twist in its story. In fact, other than her inferiority complex, I seem to like her more than Haruhi. (I think she's hotter ... :P)

I find something really inviting in Sunako that I can't really find much in other anime girls. This show is most definitely unique in that sense.
Old 2006-10-21, 19:34   Link #137
JediNight
キズランダム

Is her name supposed to be a pun on her personality? "sunao" is "honest" so Sunako could be a pun on that. Because she isn't honest with herself
Old 2006-10-21, 20:34   Link #138
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I watched ep2 three times already; I'm besotted with this series so much that I procured the manga just to know what happens - Sunako is such a unique character ...

This season rocks. Really.
Old 2006-10-22, 02:12   Link #139
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
...This season rocks. Really.
When I've looked at the previews of each recent season, they have looked to me like duds. Then when the season starts, I don't have enough time to watch all the good shows. It's amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
After seeing episode 2 I came to the realization that this show might just be the single most superficial thing I have ever seen in my life. The amount of importance that this show places on appearance is absolutely staggering....
I've only read the manga as far as the anime has gone, but I see this show in the exact opposite way. To me, the subtext of much of the humor is how stupid the emphasis on outward appearances is. Now, I also see this show as bizarre comedy, so I'm not looking for much social philosophy in it (I'll be happy to be surprised). But to me, just about everything on US commercial TV, even the newsreaders, is shallower than this anime in the way you describe. TV takes outward appearances seriously, and this show is making fun of the idea.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 02:52   Link #140
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Heck, I've read the manga as far as volume four, and I'm not stopping - it's a very entertaining and absorbing read; I do have one qualm, however: both the anime and manga need to show more of the real Sunako - the non-SD, beautiful Sunako rather than her SD form. What's wrong with permanently showing her as somewhat representative of a real life figure? I definitely won't get bored looking at her. ^_^ I await the next episodes fervently ...

How many episodes will this series be? I would really like to know - does anyone have a good inference? Because I've read the manga to a point of no return (total addiction, that is) ... I REALLY would like the anime to end with Sunako transforming to become a real lady once more.

KyouheixSunako FTW. Dissenters will be executed. :|