AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy anime from Itunes (1 ep = $1.99)?
YES 27 23.28%
NO 46 39.66%
Maybe if it is $0.99 an episode 23 19.83%
I don't have access to Itunes 20 17.24%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-03, 07:42   Link #1
bigsocce

Would you buy anime from Itunes (1 ep = $1.99)?

If there is an identical thread to this, I apologize. Please merge.

Many American TV shows are on Itunes for download at $1.99. I don't see why anime companies can't do the same. With Geneon and now ADV in trouble, maybe a new business model is needed.

Let's assume 50,000 buyers for the average anime. 13 episodes = $1.3 mil
26 episodes = $2.6 mil. How much is the license fee for an average 13 episodes anime anyway?

Just want to survey: Would you buy anime from Itunes (1 ep = $1.99)?

Thank.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 08:01   Link #2
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Yes, because it'd be mirrored with my ISP, and wouldn't count against my quota.

And it'd attract those too lazy to buy DVDs, helping further to support the companies behind.

It's not a bad idea, but I'm sure they have their reasons.
Old 2008-02-03, 08:05   Link #3
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Itunes video resolution is smaller than Standard Definition, right? If so, I really won't buy. Being a big fan of box set arts (I find them pretty to look at ), that's two strikes against it already off the bat.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 08:34   Link #4
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Yeah, same here. I actually prefer to have the case with the packaging and whatnot. I like looking at my shelf full of anime dvds and box-sets. It's kind lame looking at data files only imo (even if there is a thumbnail image of the cover ).
Old 2008-02-03, 08:40   Link #5
Tormenk

I wouldn't mind. Acquiring anime in Singapore is a problematic issue for many. Though quality is a big factor of course.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 08:43   Link #6
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Oh, if the quality was bad, I'd have to pass on it :P
Old 2008-02-03, 08:57   Link #7
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

I would as my obligation to anime Industry, but I'll keep the fansub if the quality is lower than fansub's.

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 09:54   Link #8
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I would if they released good HD episodes, sure. But without being DVD quality at least, not a chance. I use raws/fansubs to watch anime as it airs, and buy the DVDs of series I like when they're over. If I dislike a series I drop it, if I complete it, I'll buy it on DVD, as a general rule of thumb.

However $2 an episode would be cheaper than DVDs, which would be nice. Eliminating the physical manufacturing and shipping costs etc should reduce the cost per episode, so it's fair, I think. Especially if they're sub-only, without cost having gone in to dubs (which I never, ever watch anyway.) it'd be great.

But there's no way I'd pay for anything less than DVD quality. I'd just wait for the DVDs.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 10:55   Link #9
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
However $2 an episode would be cheaper than DVDs, which would be nice. Eliminating the physical manufacturing and shipping costs etc should reduce the cost per episode, so it's fair, I think. Especially if they're sub-only, without cost having gone in to dubs (which I never, ever watch anyway.) it'd be great.
I don't mean to derail this discussion.. but... Some of us like watching anime with English dubs. I've got a habit of re-watching my anime in English and let me say that the voice actors have definitely improved are definitely quite good in some cases (Haruhi, Black Lagoon.. to name some recent ones).

If companies do digital distribution, I would imagine that they will include dual audio.. since in North America.. the primary language is English.
Old 2008-02-03, 11:48   Link #10
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Yes, definitely. That is better than $30 for the first episode of True Tears.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 12:08   Link #11
Xanas

Send a message via ICQ to Xanas Send a message via AIM to Xanas Send a message via MSN to Xanas Send a message via Yahoo to Xanas
I would much rather they make a streaming subscription service for those who "just want to watch" that would be a flat rate (10-20 a month), and stick to the dvd sales for those who want to keep the show. If they want to do the 2$ or x$ an episode thing it really should be done separately.

Also when there is a dub available they need to create a dual audio download similar to the dvd for the fee to be worth it. Of course they don't do this now because the existing proprietary tools don't support it, so they should just use mkv and stop with the DRM nonsense (I tried amazon unbox on the free episodes they were having, that DRM is extremely easy to remove after a simple google search. Why do they even bother, it's pathetic. The annoying thing is I can't play windows media 10 in linux so I had to use virtualbox).

I do buy the dvds, and will continue to do so. But I might be willing to accept a download version if it was in the proper format using good codecs (I do this already myself, I copy all of my dvd media to an external HD after doing quality based x264 encoding).
Xanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:47   Link #12
Kyomi
What do I know?

I got that awful collector gene also. I need to physically own my stuff otherwise it's not worth it.
Though I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. Seems like liscensing companies have their share of trouble right now so I think they might need these kind of solutions.

8$ vs 30$ is still a winning situation (assuming four episodes per DvD) and might actually work for many people, as long as they up the quality.

However, I am materialistic, so unless I can shove the actual thing in other peoples face I won't buy it.
Old 2008-02-03, 16:31   Link #13
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I'd only buy it if it was high quality, correctly translated, uncensored, and in a standard, DRM-free format. And, of course, if it was released in a reasonable timeframe. I have no interest in paying for low quality DRM'd files. And I hate to say it, but I have no interest in supporting the English anime-dubbing industry, either - in my experience, English licensees often generate an end product substantially worse than that of good-quality fansub groups, which is inexcusable.

$1/episode sounds fair to me for subbed-only TV series (more for OVAs and movies), in which case the money would mostly be going to the Japanese producer rather than the American middleman who adds no value aside from translation. At that rate, a popular series - say, 24 episodes and 100,000 viewers - would net $2.4 million, which is probably way more than Japanese production studios generally get by selling an American distribution license.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:57   Link #14
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post
Let's assume 50,000 buyers for the average anime.
On average you may get 5000 buyers if you are lucky.

Quote:
How much is the license fee for an average 13 episodes anime anyway?
$30k-50k per episode.

Quote:
Just want to survey: Would you buy anime from Itunes (1 ep = $1.99)?
Nope. Rather pay for the ~$3/ep DVD.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:59   Link #15
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

No doubt in my mind I would.
Old 2008-02-03, 17:29   Link #16
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Not really. There's a good chance the anime would be dubbed instead of subbed. Besides, I like actually owning the disc and case for it. That, and I usually like watching anime on my tv or computer, not so much on Ipod, unless I've already seen it before, and though you would be able to watch it on your computer, I'm not a fan of Quicktime. It would be easier for me just to buy the actual DVDs or watch them on the internet.
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 18:12   Link #17
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
i dont' think i would. Owning a dvd is just so much more......satisfying. Seeing all those cases side by side on a shelf, smiling at your collection. It's not the same seeing a folder with 50-100GB worth of files. However I don't buy dvds often. I will now since some of the shows i enjoyed are being released. I'm more of a manga collector. It's a bit cheaper. (but it's still like 11 bucks for a half hours worth of enjoyment) I think i'm at 110-120 now.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 18:59   Link #18
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I can kind of understand people wanting to own the physical DVDs, but for me... I already have a massive amount of them, and they take up a lot of room. I'd rather have a few hundred series on a 1Tb HDD than needing an entire wall unit bookshelf to hold them all... but that's just a practicality issue. Also, as I said, only if the episodes are decent quality (I'm happy with most 720 fansubs, so if they can do better with original source instead of TV, brilliant!) of course backups are important, cuz a drive dying and losing that much stuff is a big drag. Only reason DVDs win for me. =p

I also don't see why they can't do cheaper, faster sub-only releases, then have dubbed releases (which will naturally cost more due to the extra production costs) later.

But, it all hinges on the quality of the video. I wouldn't stand for DRM that demands some propitiatory player, either. I don't mind the concept of DRM, but I want to be able to play my videos in MPC, not a bloated player like WMP or something made by the releasing company.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 19:04   Link #19
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

I sure would
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 21:08   Link #20
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
$1.99 an episode is about the price I'd pay for high quality on a physical medium for a show I was very enthusiastic about.

In other words, it's more than I'd pay for digital distribution.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote