AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-11-24, 14:54   Link #1
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Question Looking for animes with wizards, mages?

Hey, im looking for anime with wizards, mages, sorcerers or something alone those lines... A perfect example for what im looking for would be Bastard, it has a high fantasy setting, mature stuff like gore, a great antihero character like Dark Schenider,etc. I dont really like much comedy on my animes. Kaze no stigma is another one i liked.
its hard for me to watch stuff with annoying characters like zero no tsukaima or shakugan no shana.

ive seen slayers, sorcerer hunters, scrapped princess, rune soldier, ruin explorers, Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Record of Lodoss War, Fairy tail, Fate/zero.

Any more you can think of??

Thanks.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 15:53   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd consider the Apothecary in Bakeneko and its sequel Mononoke a wizard. The stories are mature, particularly the original, not so much because of gore but because of the subject matter.

Having just introduced a friend to Yondemasu-yo, Azazel-san I'll mention it here. It's a ribald comedy, though, just to warn you. It features a wizard detective who summons demons to help him with his cases.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 16:26   Link #3
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Thanks Seiji, ive seen Mononoke and i love it. Quite an unique anime; the stories, the characters and the animation is top notch. Ill give Yondemasu a try.
Old 2013-11-24, 19:23   Link #4
jedinat

Witch Hunter Robin is pretty good. The main character is basically a fire sorceress. Dark ambiance, little comedy.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 19:26   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you have not seen the original Bakeneko, you owe it to yourself to do so. The story is more poignant than any of the ones told in Mononoke including its modernized retelling of Bakeneko at the close. I also love the rapidly-paced animation in Bakeneko when the Apothecary spreads ofuda across walls to block the advance of the bake neko.

Ofuda make a comic appearance in Dennou Coil as "metatags," a hacker's tool to manipulate the cyberspace that the kids experience.. Yasako's grandmother Megabaa sells metatags to the kids for ridiculous sums.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-11-24 at 19:43.
Old 2013-11-24, 19:51   Link #6
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Witch Hunter Robin is pretty good. The main character is basically a fire sorceress. Dark ambiance, little comedy.
Witch hunter Robin has been on my to watch list for a while, i tend to enjoy shows with a dark ambiance so ill give it a try, thanks jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If you have not seen the original Bakeneko, you owe it to yourself to do so. The story is more poignant than any of the ones told in Mononoke including its modernized retelling of Bakeneko at the close. I also love the rapidly-paced animation in Bakeneko when the Apothecary spreads ofuda across walls to block the advance of the bake neko.

Ofuda make a comic appearance in Dennou Coil as "metatags," a hacker's tool to manipulate the cyberspace that the kids experience.. Yasako's grandmother Megabaa sells metatags to the kids for ridiculous sums.
I did watch the Ayakashi series, and the bakeneko arc was my favorite. I tried watching Dennou Coil but dropped it probably because at the time i thought it was a kids show, but with the lack of quality animes these days ill probably give it a another try. Thanks.
Old 2013-11-25, 00:03   Link #7
Kaken

You can try Orphen, it's pretty old, but not that bad. The only thing is that there are several annoying characters.
Old 2013-11-25, 11:47   Link #8
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

You already have these on your "want to watch" list, but Kara no Kyoukai and Ga Rei Zero are pretty good ones.

Seconding Dennou Coil. The second half of that show was absolutely fantastic and it's not really a kid's show despite having kids as the protagonists.
Old 2013-11-25, 12:01   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
I tried watching Dennou Coil but dropped it probably because at the time i thought it was a kids show, but with the lack of quality animes these days ill probably give it a another try. Thanks.
Isako in Dennou Coil displays "wizard-like" powers. In the very first episode we see Isako draw a hex on the ground that makes her invisible to the pursuing bot. She possesses the "Imago" ability which is pretty much magical.

I place Dennou Coil in my personal anime top ten. Few shows top it for sheer inventiveness, writing, and animation. I do wish its creator, Iso Mitsuo, would return to the industry someday soon. Saito Tsuneyoshi's score for this show is also extraordinary, using a wide variety of styles and instrumentation.

I find many Japanese science-fiction anime to have more in common with fantasy and myth than with "hard" science. That's true even for a show like Noein which draws its story from the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics. Most of the "reizu" powers the characters possess in Noein are pretty indistinguishable from magic.
Old 2013-11-25, 17:24   Link #10
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I tried watching Dennou Coil but dropped it probably because at the time i thought it was a kids show.
It is a kid's show, it just treats kids as smart viewers meaning that adults can enjoy it too (which is the case for any "kid's show" that's worth something)
Old 2013-11-25, 20:34   Link #11
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaken View Post
You can try Orphen, it's pretty old, but not that bad. The only thing is that there are several annoying characters.
Exactly what i asked for, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzushinaYuriko View Post
You already have these on your "want to watch" list, but Kara no Kyoukai and Ga Rei Zero are pretty good ones.

Seconding Dennou Coil. The second half of that show was absolutely fantastic and it's not really a kid's show despite having kids as the protagonists.
I watched Kara no Kyoukai first movie and it was ok but never got pulled for some reason. Ill give Ga Rei Zero a try. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Isako in Dennou Coil displays "wizard-like" powers. In the very first episode we see Isako draw a hex on the ground that makes her invisible to the pursuing bot. She possesses the "Imago" ability which is pretty much magical.

I place Dennou Coil in my personal anime top ten. Few shows top it for sheer inventiveness, writing, and animation. I do wish its creator, Iso Mitsuo, would return to the industry someday soon. Saito Tsuneyoshi's score for this show is also extraordinary, using a wide variety of styles and instrumentation.

I find many Japanese science-fiction anime to have more in common with fantasy and myth than with "hard" science. That's true even for a show like Noein which draws its story from the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics. Most of the "reizu" powers the characters possess in Noein are pretty indistinguishable from magic.
Ill try Dennou coil and Noein has also been in my to watch list for a long time. Thank you sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
It is a kid's show, it just treats kids as smart viewers meaning that adults can enjoy it too (which is the case for any "kid's show" that's worth something)
Well i did watch Kemono no souja erin and a few other kid shows that were good. Thanks.
Old 2013-11-26, 08:17   Link #12
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaken View Post
OMG you were right, that Volcano kid might be the most annoying character i´ve ever seen....
Old 2013-11-26, 09:07   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

l'll just warn you that the online version of Noein has only the awful English dub. The DVDs are cheap, or use "other methods."

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-11-26 at 15:14.
Old 2013-11-26, 13:09   Link #14
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Quote:
OMG you were right, that Volcano kid might be the most annoying character i´ve ever seen....
Orphen is great for season 1 but i recommend ignoring S2 existence.
Old 2013-11-26, 20:25   Link #15
Kaken

^ I agree, it wasn't good.

Quote:
Yeah he is super annoying.
Old 2013-11-27, 18:23   Link #16
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Tears to Tiara. Definitely has high fantasy and a kick'n Demon Lord
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 20:34   Link #17
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Record of Lodoss War and .hack//Sign would be my recommendations.
Old 2013-12-03, 20:12   Link #18
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Perhaps A certain magical Index, though perhaps you won't like a few of the characters, but the number of characters is quite high and the most annoying character (IMO Index) gets less and less screentime.
Old 2013-12-10, 21:44   Link #19
Kuka Innocent

Watch sailor moon ik its old but so cool ♥
Kuka Innocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-11, 13:31   Link #20
L7997
Paraph

well, I assume you've already watched Mushishi. There's also Natsume Yuujinchou. The magic is more spiritual and supernatural, like Mononoke. The story is bittersweet- not comedic at all. Mononoke, Natsume Yuujinchou, and Mushishi are all episodic, each episode focuses on a particular event and leaves an impression.

you HAVE to watch Shin Sekai Yori. It's a thriller, it is dark, with good characterizations. The show isn't focused on characters, but more on society. It's so worth it! Do it!
L7997 is offline   Reply With Quote