AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 55 30.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 24.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 19.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 13.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 6.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.19%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.73%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-21, 23:57   Link #181
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
More than anything else, I was really surprised in this episode by the undisguised and extremely iconic view of the Kobe waterfront shown during the fireworks show. I mean, they've never really made much of an effort to hide where the series is taking place, but I'm pretty sure it's the first time they've had such an unmistakable shot of a major Japanese city (not far by rail from the characters' hometown of Nishinomiya Anytown, Japan). It breaks the illusion (however flimsy) of the series taking place in a generic "Japanese" location, and brings with it all the built-in assumptions related to Kansai.

Just to prove my point, here's a picture of the real thing (Kobe Harborland ferris wheel just out of frame):
http://wikitravel.org/upload/en/5/54...Port_Night.jpg

EDIT: Link fixed.
What are you talking about? That's not where that scene is supposed to be... Why, from looking back at that scene, they must be 200, maybe even 300 yards to the right of where your picture was taken... The angles are all off... ^_^
Old 2009-06-22, 01:04   Link #182
OkamiNoKaze

Just watched the AFK sub, great translation, compared to the two other versions I've seen
Old 2009-06-22, 02:42   Link #183
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Just watched the AFK sub, great translation, compared to the two other versions I've seen
Just watched it myself. Though, I actually waited for the a.f.k release. Didn't feel like downloading the same episode several times.

A sort of easygoing episode I must say. Was a bit disappointed to see Yuki in school uniform through several scenes since I like seeing the girls in plain clothing whenever the situation arrives.

I am also quite fond of the new opening, specially that part at the very end where Tsuruya and the rest of the characters do that no-no thingie.

Of course, I love everything Tsuruya does. Show me a scene of her reading the phone book and I'll probably find the moe in that too.
Old 2009-06-22, 03:45   Link #184
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempura View Post
And besides, what normal people would agree to tie a bunch of fireworks on the butt of his bike?
What kind of people do you hang out with? : |
Old 2009-06-22, 04:16   Link #185
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

TEMPURA!!! WHY?!!! lol

Just watched the subs. So that's what Haruhi is talking about then.
Old 2009-06-22, 04:38   Link #186
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Good ep. Koizumi's bug catching ability was a definite plus, though I did find myself once again paying more attention to Mikuru than anyone else. Really hope that stops soon

7/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Was a bit disappointed to see Yuki in school uniform through several scenes since I like seeing the girls in plain clothing whenever the situation arrives.
It's Nagato. The school uniform is "plain clothing" for her.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-06-22, 04:49   Link #187
Friday
Im shy too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
same here.....

this was definitely a meloncholy episode!!!!!
Old 2009-06-22, 07:44   Link #188
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
KyoAni is making Haruhi nicer. We must remember to thank them somehow.

I prefer a less jerky Haruhi myself.
Me too. Haruhi is already a hard one most of the time. Besides, Yuki deserves all the compliment in the world. ;D

And i was disappointed to see Yuki in the school uniform too, but hey, it's Yuki. It almost looks like it's the only clothes she got(at least now she has an yukata. ).
Old 2009-06-22, 09:58   Link #189
Dop
Mmmm....

Fantastic. Like the new opening with it's halftone very comic-like effects. I'm with Daniel E on the 'no-no' bit.

I loved Kyon's 'Itano Circus', although I wonder how many people might turn up in emergency with burns to their posterior attempting to emulate that feat.

So that's where the frog outfit came from.

Yuki + straw = adorable.
Old 2009-06-22, 11:23   Link #190
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Just saw the afk sub, and since they translate the credits, I noticed something somewhat interesting. Shouji Gatoh (Full Metal Panic! author) got the script credit. This wasn't his first Haruhi script, of course, as he scripted "Day of Sagittarius" during the "first season", and we all remember how well that one was adapted. Next episode should be good.
Old 2009-06-22, 11:24   Link #191
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
It's Nagato. The school uniform is "plain clothing" for her.
Can't really argue there. She was already using it three years before school even started after all.
Old 2009-06-22, 12:45   Link #192
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Wow. Just wow. This episode reminded me of why I love this series so much. Love the new OP, and having a slice-of-life look at the SOS Brigade during summer vacation was just plain fun. But the bit that put this episode over the top for me was Kyon's tribute to Macross. Bicycle Macross missiles with a "Kakizaki!!!" to top it off...so much win I can't put it into words. 10/10 episode for me.

As a side note, I also waited for a.f.k.'s subs before downloading. I'm glad I waited, it was worth it.

And so many solo shots of Yuki. You'd almost think they're trying to tell us something about her...
Old 2009-06-22, 14:35   Link #193
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The funny thing is that Kyon's bicycle moment may have been a nod to Macross but,
1) it wasn't a strapped-on moment. Lots of people have done that with fireworks (hell, we used to do it with our cars)
2) NO knowledge of Macross was necessary nor did it seem out of character.

That's what I call a good easter egg. Its there for those who notice a connection and doesn't leave others saying "wtf?? o.0?"

I would never have thought it as a reference to anything - just part of the summer night's fun.
Old 2009-06-22, 14:40   Link #194
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Just saw the afk sub, and since they translate the credits, I noticed something somewhat interesting. Shouji Gatoh (Full Metal Panic! author) got the script credit. This wasn't his first Haruhi script, of course, as he scripted "Day of Sagittarius" during the "first season", and we all remember how well that one was adapted. Next episode should be good.
Wait, seriously? Shouji Fucking Gatou wrote this episode?

Next episode SHOULD be good...
Old 2009-06-22, 14:43   Link #195
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... while I was kinda nervous about this week's episode, I think that has alleviated the problem
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-06-22, 15:04   Link #196
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Episode 2 was entertaining, but not what I expected out of since it shows about the same summer activities they would in other series... Nevertheless, it was still a nicely done episode, but I can't give perfect marks since this episode haven't reach the expectations of Suzumiya Haruhi Season 2 yet...

Rating: 8.5/10 -> 9/10

Full Episode 2 Thoughts
Old 2009-06-22, 15:51   Link #197
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
So it totally didn't take me five minutes to find this section.

Totally... didn't.

Anyways, Itsuki's butt was in my face for around five seconds, which, on it's own, deserves a ten. However, that wasn't the point of the episode. On a whole, it was fun, but at the end it was kinda... "THAT'S IT?" It felt a little lackluster to me, I suppose, so an 8. It's a nice set up for next week.

Also, was I the only one expecting "I'll Be There For You" by The Remembrandts to start playing during the montage? ...Anyone? Anyone at all?

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops
Old 2009-06-22, 15:55   Link #198
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanme View Post
Also, was I the only one expecting "I'll Be There For You" by The Remembrandts to start playing during the montage? ...Anyone? Anyone at all?
You're not alone, although I didn't really expect it to play so much as think that it would be a better time than most to play the song.
Old 2009-06-22, 16:21   Link #199
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanme View Post
So it totally didn't take me five minutes to find this section.

Totally... didn't.

Anyways, Itsuki's butt was in my face for around five seconds, which, on it's own, deserves a ten. However, that wasn't the point of the episode. On a whole, it was fun, but at the end it was kinda... "THAT'S IT?" It felt a little lackluster to me, I suppose, so an 8. It's a nice set up for next week.

Haruhi's butt was in our face for a much greater length of time.

And nobody minds.
Old 2009-06-22, 19:14   Link #200
OkamiNoKaze

Give it time and there your wish will be granted on Youtube, for the Rembrants Haruhi video
Closed Thread