AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-15, 18:27   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Character Discussion - Homunculi

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Homunculus related. This goes for all Homunculi.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Fullmetal Alchemist fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2009-07-16 at 09:16.
Old 2009-07-15, 19:41   Link #2
Vicious108

Well here is what I consider to be one of the best villain organizations in anime and manga. Right up there with the Genei Ryodan of Hunter x Hunter as my favorites.

The idea of a group of baddies named after the seven sins is pretty interesting, and I must say Arakawa has executed it perfectly. Even if two of those sins don't really act like their respective sin all that much (Lust and Wrath).

The first anime kind of tried too hard to make them sympathetic IMO, and I much prefer their true villainous selves that you love to hate in the manga.

Here is a pretty awesome promotional poster for Brotherhood of them, in case anyone missed it. Just beware cause it's a little spoiler-ish. Well not really, it just shows the whole face of someone the anime's been hiding.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...te/Poster4.jpg
Old 2009-07-15, 20:28   Link #3
Haladflire65
*Artist

I've always found Envy most interesting...

But I think the scariest one's
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2009-07-15, 21:30   Link #4
GaimeGuy

Wrath and Pride are by far and away the strongest Homunculi.

Actually, Pride isn't exactly strong, he just has a bunch of very handy abilities.

Wrath, on the other hand, is raw talent and skill, and every moment he has had has been awesome. I'm not actually sure anyone can match him one on one
Old 2009-07-15, 22:23   Link #5
Vicious108

Wrath is definitely the most skilled homunculus in terms of fighting (in fact probably the only one with real skills outside their special ability), but I'm not sure whether he's more powerful than Pride. I think Pride's ability puts him a little above Wrath. And Mr. Yoki himself said Pride was the strongest homunculus, that's got to count for something.

Though none of that really matters to me since I choose my favorites based on personality and actions and not power levels.
Old 2009-07-16, 03:01   Link #6
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Well here is what I consider to be one of the best villain organizations in anime and manga. Right up there with the Genei Ryodan of Hunter x Hunter as my favorites.

The idea of a group of baddies named after the seven sins is pretty interesting, and I must say Arakawa has executed it perfectly. Even if two of those sins don't really act like their respective sin all that much (Lust and Wrath).

The first anime kind of tried too hard to make them sympathetic IMO, and I much prefer their true villainous selves that you love to hate in the manga.

Here is a pretty awesome promotional poster for Brotherhood of them, in case anyone missed it. Just beware cause it's a little spoiler-ish. Well not really, it just shows the whole face of someone the anime's been hiding.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...te/Poster4.jpg
Agreed with all of your points! FMA Homunculi = Best villains I've ever seen! They're badass and funny, evil and loveable at the same time!

And, awesome poster! although it made me curious: why is Wrath the only one not shown in the poster?
Old 2009-07-16, 04:09   Link #7
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I'll just leave this comment on these fellows: "Kill them. Kill them again and again. Reduce them to dust, because if you don't, they will do the same to you."
Old 2009-07-16, 09:14   Link #8
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Agreed with all of your points! FMA Homunculi = Best villains I've ever seen! They're badass and funny, evil and loveable at the same time!

And, awesome poster! although it made me curious: why is Wrath the only one not shown in the poster?
They probably didn't wanna spoil the twist. Which is why...

Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2009-07-16, 09:54   Link #9
Kirarakim

Quote:
I don't know I think Wrath fits his namesake very well

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2009-07-16, 10:15   Link #10
Vicious108

Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2009-07-17, 20:46   Link #11
ChronoReverse

Wrath isn't the same thing as berserker rage

If Wrath is anything like the 7 deadly sins version, then it's possible his fate could be one of the ultimate expressions of wrath, which is suicide (interestingly enough).
Old 2009-07-17, 20:50   Link #12
Vicious108

It's also not the same thing as calmness, which is what I think Bradley displays more often than not.
Old 2009-07-18, 00:53   Link #13
GaimeGuy

It could also be a biblical interpretation of wrath, that is, divine retribution (for committing sin). We certainly see this with Wrath, as he delivers punishment upon those who sin against the country (or, in Greed's case, against Father...)
Old 2009-07-18, 03:13   Link #14
Sannom

Expanding on what GaimeGuy said, Wrath could simply refers to Father's wrath in a biblical way, where Bradley is the one who punishes those that go against Father's will : Greed, the rebels, etc. In since Bradley is near-unstoppable, it has that "inevitable feel" about it too.
Old 2009-07-18, 10:20   Link #15
Vicious108

So, Wrath as in Tenchu? Well looking at it that way it kinda fits I suppose. But I doubt that's what Arakawa was going for.
Old 2009-07-18, 11:30   Link #16
ChronoReverse

Quote:
It's also not the same thing as calmness, which is what I think Bradley displays more often than not.
Don't be silly. You can have have tranquil rage just as well. Furthermore, calmness is independent of wrath.

Besides, from what we've seen of the homunculi, not all of them actively fires up their respective sin at all times. It's the basis of their character though. For instance, Envy's base is ultimately his envy of humans, but you don't see him exploding that way all the time. It's more subtle than that even as it underlies his actions.

Likewise, there's no reason Wrath needs to be exploding in rage all the time. Wrath also encompasses meticulous planning in order to take vengeance or lay out destruction upon the target of one's wrath (think The Count of Monte Cristo; now that's serious wrath). In particular, biblical wrath is often of this sort.

Quote:
So, Wrath as in Tenchu? Well looking at it that way it kinda fits I suppose. But I doubt that's what Arakawa was going for.
This remains to be seen but aren't you being presumptuous here in forcing the intent of the author instead of trying to interpret what we've been given so far?
Old 2009-07-18, 11:43   Link #17
Vicious108

Wrath is also commonly called "Anger", which I believe is what most people associate the sin with, and not divine punishment. Being the most common meaning of the sin, I would assume that that's what Arakawa was going for when she created the character.

But you're right it may not be so, and then again I don't know jack about the bible, so I guess I'm not really qualified to say whether the author intended to use its meaning of the sins or not.
Old 2009-07-24, 00:50   Link #18
Ziziphus
Whatever

Speaking of Wrath, I've always been wondering at his power, the Ultimate eye.

The eye's power was explained clearly in the 1st anime, but I don't remember if it was in the manga. For all I know, Wrath only said something about it having helped him revive fierce battles. So, his unearthly sword skill and inhuman speed, are they a gain from the eye or are they his own strength as a homunculus? If the eye helps improve his skill, how can it do so while being constantly covered by an eyepatch? Unless the eye has the power to see through the eyepatch as well. *confused*
Old 2009-07-24, 07:36   Link #19
Sannom

I thought that was the manga discussion thread, and so my message is full of spoilers! Sorry to anyone who has read it and didn't know the things I talked about.

And yeah, if we only consider the anime, I would say that people should wait, they will learn more about Wrath in due time, and then I think we can start talking about it.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-25, 06:32   Link #20
Ziziphus
Whatever

^That helps clear things up a bit for me! Thanks Sannom!