Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-21, 06:45   Link #1
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)

New Tales game to be announced in early June:

Quote:
The game is indeed a mothership title. The catch phrase for the game is "Are you prepared to destroy the world for the girl?" This phrase apparently has some ties to both the story and gameplay systems.

Previous titles were "high fantasy" games with swords and magic. This time, the game will have a more modern theme. The game's world view will be thick with cultural elements.
Full article: http://andriasang.com/con115/next_tales/

http://andriasang.com/con12z/next_tales_art/
Old 2012-05-21, 06:59   Link #2
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

I just hope it was localised before 2020
Old 2012-05-21, 07:01   Link #3
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
I just hope it was localised before 2020
I was thinking the same thing. I guess that shows how highly we think of Namco.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 08:25   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Can we please have a 360 release Bamco kthxbai.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 09:45   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The catch phrase for the game is "Are you prepared to destroy the world for the girl?"

Ahhh... So it's one of THOSE kind of things... >.>
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 10:31   Link #6
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Someone also mentioned something about the concept art. Noticed that the towns seem surrounded by desert and connected by railways? He said that it might be because the world is at it's limit (if you've played World Destruction or watch Regios then you'll probably get what I meant.) and that's probably why it's like that.

...and considering that the theme is about sacrificing your girl / saving the world, I don't think it's kinda off >_>;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 10:49   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Not really the best idea, in term of audience and especially "cash potential" if you ask me.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:58   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well I'd rather have a cheap passable port if I may. It makes sense in terms of audience potential in Japan where PS3 rules, but in the rest of the planet where 360 still remains at the top, probably not so much. So years after Vesperia I'm still waiting for my next main series game.

To me it's still really the way Bamco doesn't market the Tales series as they do others, but meh, I'd say it's their own fault for the most part why the Tales series isn't as big as it could be.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 11:00   Link #9
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As mentioned by Baba (Tales of producer), their team specifically set their game for the Japanese audience, and it is only afterwards they oblidge to make release for the western market.
And frankly, that's quite understandable, since the sales in Japan just slaughter any count they can ever have in the western market.
Old 2012-05-21, 12:53   Link #10
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I'm not the biggest enthusiast of the Tales series, but I admit the supposed "modern" theme and those concept arts of this upcoming title really have me intrigued. Tales has been pretty much nothing but medieval fantasy worlds with some scif-fi elements as far as I know, so this step outside normal ground is an interesting thing to see and it really piques my curiosity.

All-in-all, I'd like to see something darker from this series. The games all tend to be rather lighthearted, but considering the target audience though, that's probably unlikely to change.
Old 2012-05-21, 15:37   Link #11
GDB

Quote:
No, you won't. Your only chances are PS3 and/or WiiU. The 360 is a complete bomb in Japan, there's zero chance it gets another Tales. And last I checked, the Wii had more market penetration than the 360, so I wouldn't really say it's on top everywhere outside of Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
All-in-all, I'd like to see something darker from this series. The games all tend to be rather lighthearted, but considering the target audience though, that's probably unlikely to change.
They actually aren't that light-hearted. Cities are constantly destroyed, usually along with the people in them. People/characters die protecting your group all the time. You're betrayed in every damn game since at least Abyss. Just because the characters are able to crack some jokes in skits and such doesn't mean there aren't dark elements to it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 16:43   Link #12
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Well I'd rather have a cheap passable port if I may. It makes sense in terms of audience potential in Japan where PS3 rules, but in the rest of the planet where 360 still remains at the top, probably not so much. So years after Vesperia I'm still waiting for my next main series game.

To me it's still really the way Bamco doesn't market the Tales series as they do others, but meh, I'd say it's their own fault for the most part why the Tales series isn't as big as it could be.
The 360 isn't that great. The gap between the 360 and PS3 in the States is far smaller than the gap between the PS3 and 360 in Japan.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 17:35   Link #13
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

First promo video:

Not a lot to see, though.

The game will be officially announced on June 2, but there will be another commercial a bit sooner than that.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-05-21 at 17:50.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 21:13   Link #14
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
As a big romance buff, I'm happy to note how that line for the new game sounds like a nice romance game line. C'mon Bamco, you gave us Emil and Marta in ToS 2, give us more of that.
Old 2012-05-21, 21:22   Link #15
GDB

There's been romance of some degree in most of the Tales games that I've played. They aren't thrown in your face (with the exception of Graces and maybe Xillia), but they're still there. Though having not played Ratatusk, not sure if maybe they're on screen making out and such and that's what you mean.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 21:55   Link #16
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
As a big romance buff, I'm happy to note how that line for the new game sounds like a nice romance game line. C'mon Bamco, you gave us Emil and Marta in ToS 2, give us more of that.
Well with a catch phrase as dark as that, I was kinda hoping the protagonist would be more along the lines of Ratatosk (Not Emil) and Yuri than the standard Tales Hero.

Not that there's anything wrong with the normal heroes, it's just that the situation probably requires someone with a different 'mindset'.

...Plus It's abit overkill if Yuri wins Number One Character 4 times in a row Onosaka-san would really cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Though having not played Ratatusk, not sure if maybe they're on screen making out and such and that's what you mean.
No visual on-screen make out, but apparently it does feature the first confirmed in-game kiss
Old 2012-05-21, 22:54   Link #17
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

If they're gonna pitch such a decision as the tagline for the game, I really hope the main character doesn't pull a "I'll save the world AND you" option out of his ass again like other protagonists have. Have him actually choose one or the other.

I'd prefer they keep the romance downplayed as well. Too much focus on that will eventually just start taking away from whatever other characterization the characters may have to offer.

BTW on a random note, am I the only one who sees something like Manhattan Island in New York surrounded by a dried up Hudson River in one of those concept arts?
Old 2012-05-21, 23:22   Link #18
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
If they're gonna pitch such a decision as the tagline for the game, I really hope the main character doesn't pull a "I'll save the world AND you" option out of his ass again like other protagonists have. Have him actually choose one or the other.
That might be a bit too literally, it could mean that the protagonist would fight against the world to protect the girl.
Old 2012-05-22, 11:40   Link #19
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Anyone knows what's the translation for this picture? http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...es-tease03.jpg

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 16:00   Link #20
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
No, you won't. Your only chances are PS3 and/or WiiU. The 360 is a complete bomb in Japan, there's zero chance it gets another Tales. And last I checked, the Wii had more market penetration than the 360, so I wouldn't really say it's on top everywhere outside of Japan.
well it can be multiplatfrom.

anyway lack of platfrom announcement make it sound fishy. it can be something out of field like online

well that how i fell

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote