AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-02-19, 15:52   Link #6781
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I remember it being advertised, but was it ever really that popular? It has some pretty poor reviews on MyAnimeList.net (5.41 for the first OVA and 5.29 for the second - some of the lowest scores I've come across).

If it was popular, it probably has to do with the time that it was released. That was in the late 1980's in Japan and the early- to mid-1990's in America. I can't really speak for Japan, but the anime scene in America was pretty different back then, as were the types of themes and styles that you would see in series. MD Geist may not fare so well against productions that came after it, but at the time it was rather intriguing.
Also, not much was released in America at the time, so people took what they could get. They didn't have anything better to compare it to.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 23:25   Link #6782
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I've not read any papers about how respiratory disease affects hair loss and maintenance.

And AFAIK the MSG thing leading to hair loss isn't actually true.
For a moment I thought MSG meant Master Sergeant...in which case yes, my sgt major does give us hair loss lolol
Old 2013-02-20, 11:19   Link #6783
Green-ill

Is thick hair better than straight hair?
Old 2013-02-20, 13:22   Link #6784
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-ill View Post
The two are not mutually exclusive, my hair is thick and straight.
Old 2013-02-20, 14:14   Link #6785
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-ill View Post
You can have thick and straight hair, they are not related.

Thick hair means the thickness of the strand, not how much hair you have on your head.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 14:29   Link #6786
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Thick hair means the thickness of the strand, not how much hair you have on your head.
I thought it did? For instance, as a person ages and they lose hair, it is often said their hair is "thinning".

Though I guess it could be either. It's not a precise quantity, and hair thickness is generally "how much mass" you have. That mass can come from quantity of hair, or how thick the strands are.
Old 2013-02-20, 22:13   Link #6787
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I thought it did? For instance, as a person ages and they lose hair, it is often said their hair is "thinning".

Though I guess it could be either. It's not a precise quantity, and hair thickness is generally "how much mass" you have. That mass can come from quantity of hair, or how thick the strands are.
I do think that thickness could be used to refer to how much hair. But on the hair websites I go to they call that hair density instead, how many hairs are in a square inch or so.

They call it "thinning" because the hairs are actually getting thinner, the ones that stay on the head in the bald spots anyway. They get thinner because the hair follicles get weaker, so weak that they cannot output regular sized hairs anymore. They can only output immature "baby" hairs, until finally the follicle becomes dormant and any hair falls out. Also hair loss usually occurs along with old age so the thinning may also refer to how gray/white hairs appear thinner than darker hair.

Question: Anyone know art sharing sites that allow you to upload multiple pictures all gathered under one submission? Like a comic. All I know now that does it is Pixiv, but I don't want to use pixiv because I don't like some of their other policies.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:35   Link #6788
Dextro
He Without a Title

I think imgur supports galleries.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:48   Link #6789
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think imgur supports galleries.
Thank you!! But I don't mean galleries. I'm looking for the ability to upload multiple pictures all under one single submission.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:51   Link #6790
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Thank you!! But I don't mean galleries. I'm looking for the ability to upload multiple pictures all under one single submission.
imgur. you can just drag multiple picture into browser and it will be automatically uploaded

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:26   Link #6791
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Not really a question but anyway...

I am doing a lesson plan on Julius Caesar for secondary school learners, and I have to search for videos to introduce the concept of friendship. Not that students at that age are unaware of what friendship means, but this video will serve as a lead-in activity before moving on to the main lesson. I am thinking of using anime. Perhaps you peeps could tell me which anime and the particular episode that you think highlight the theme of friendship? It doesn't have to be shounen animes.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2013-02-21 at 16:45.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 19:17   Link #6792
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
imgur. you can just drag multiple picture into browser and it will be automatically uploaded
Thank you, but no no I'm not talking about that. I can just do that on deviantart. I need the pictures to all tile under one single submission. I don't think imgur does that unless someone can tell me how.
Old 2013-02-21, 19:27   Link #6793
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

what you mean by "one single submission"

Old 2013-02-21, 21:46   Link #6794
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
what you mean by "one single submission"
Like this (image from jyuri.net):

This is a comic on pixiv. I would link to an actual pixiv page, but too bad because pixiv has that stupid policy that makes you login to see anything. Anyway see how the pages are tiled up behind the cover page? All of the images are gathered under one submission. All comments and pageviews for each page/picture go to that one parent submission. The only other way I know to do this is to put all the images on one long ugly strip like so (also from jyuri.net):

on Deviantart.

Question: Is fansubbing anime from television illegal? Only the episodes that come on on TV for free.
Old 2013-02-21, 22:27   Link #6795
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Question: Is fansubbing anime from television illegal? Only the episodes that come on on TV for free.
If the anime is unlicensed in a region of the subbers' then it's not illegal, or legal and falls into a moral gray-ish area, if the anime is Licensed or airing on CR or similar sites than it's somewhat illegal which is why AS's policy only allows torrents for series that fall into that gray zone to be listed.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 22:41   Link #6796
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
If the anime is unlicensed in a region of the subbers' then it's not illegal, or legal and falls into a moral gray-ish area, if the anime is Licensed or airing on CR or similar sites than it's somewhat illegal which is why AS's policy only allows torrents for series that fall into that gray zone to be listed.
But even if it's licensed reuploads of free TV broadcasts should be fine right?
Old 2013-02-21, 23:10   Link #6797
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
But even if it's licensed reuploads of free TV broadcasts should be fine right?
Depends on who owns the license, some will pursue that even (like funimation is know to) and if it's regionally licensed or on CR, it's considered illegal to AS at the least.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 23:16   Link #6798
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Depends on who owns the license, some will pursue that even (like funimation is know to) and if it's regionally licensed or on CR, it's considered illegal to AS at the least.
Ok. I just hate getting fansubs from DVDs or BDs rips because they came from media you're supposed to buy. It's just like stealing and downloading a whole DVD/BD of a movie off of Bittorrent. But I thought that TV episodes would be okay (before any licenses) since they're shown for free, usually as advertisements to buy the series on BD later. In my opinion if you want the high quality from discs you should pay for it like the owners want you to.

So let's say a series is only out on TV, which usually means there is no license. So, is it legal to upload and download those episodes that someone records from TV? Since the owners are putting it out for free on TV, internet fansubs would seem to only generate interest and not lose money. Fansub watchers would either buy the series later (owners get money), or just ignore and move on (owners get nothing b/c the fansub watcher did not like their advertisement, but every advertiser expects that some/most people who watch their ads won't commit to buying). It's not like DVD and BD ripped fansubs, in which case the owners do lose money because why buy the discs when you already have disc quality for free?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-22 at 00:14.
Old 2013-02-22, 02:33   Link #6799
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Like this
isnt that basically alblum

Old 2013-02-22, 05:01   Link #6800
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Ok. I just hate getting fansubs from DVDs or BDs rips because they came from media you're supposed to buy. It's just like stealing and downloading a whole DVD/BD of a movie off of Bittorrent.
And what if the movie never makes it to a cinema near you? How are you going to view the movie first, to decide if you wish to buy a DVD/BD of it later?

Quote:
But I thought that TV episodes would be okay (before any licenses) since they're shown for free, usually as advertisements to buy the series on BD later. In my opinion if you want the high quality from discs you should pay for it like the owners want you to.
No, TV viewing is never "free". You forget that you pay a TV licence fee. And that's before you even consider subscribed cable or satellite channels.

Quote:
So let's say a series is only out on TV, which usually means there is no license. So, is it legal to upload and download those episodes that someone records from TV? Since the owners are putting it out for free on TV, internet fansubs would seem to only generate interest and not lose money. Fansub watchers would either buy the series later (owners get money), or just ignore and move on (owners get nothing b/c the fansub watcher did not like their advertisement, but every advertiser expects that some/most people who watch their ads won't commit to buying). It's not like DVD and BD ripped fansubs, in which case the owners do lose money because why buy the discs when you already have disc quality for free?
In principle, as long as you're making a copy and distributing the copy without permission or licence, you're doing something illegal. It makes no difference whether you ripped the content from TV programming or DVD/BDs.

There might be some ambiguity over whether simply making a copy is already considered an offence. The Laws of Anime was recently published on Anime News Network. I read the first part, but not the second. A clearer answer might be found there.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious