AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-18, 23:57   Link #181
blue skies
noch einmal?

I have a crazy idea. Let's just use this thread to focus on the adorable silliness that is Axis Powers Hetalia! Some people are taking this way too seriously. No more politics plzkthx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unasuvas View Post
Spoiler for Just a cute strip of the North American brothers as babies:
D'awwwww. Could they be any cuter? If I could, I'd reach through my computer screen and hug them. So freaking adorable.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 00:05   Link #182
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Cute images are awesome~~

From the community LJ: Chibitalia!
Spoiler:

So cute with HRE. -coughs- Hehe.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 14:17   Link #183
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Check out South Park I bet it is aired all over the world ithas so much worse themes >.> anyway....
Matt and Trey have a spine. A rather large one, I must say. And so does Comedy Central.
Japanese broadcast stations does not. They never have, and they never will.

I do feel that the "Japan" character could have used a little bit more offensive stereotyping. From the little I've seen of the comic strips, I think our own stereotypes were much tamer in depiction than other nations.
What's great about Simpsons and South Park is that as much offensive jokes they make of others, they make double that of their own culture.
Old 2009-01-19, 16:53   Link #184
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

I don't even get America's stereotype... I mean why does he not look down on everyone
Old 2009-01-19, 17:37   Link #185
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I did know some koreans, and in fact they did claim they invented a lot of stuff (like moveable type), and made a fuss over it. Whether they did or not is another matter, but what few Koreans I met (and they were all nice people) have generally been pretty nationalist, I don't think the korean character is as off as any other character.

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2009-01-19 at 18:09.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 23:19   Link #186
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

You know I have a questions to you guys? Why are you upset that the show won't air? The show is still going to be available via stream and other means. Most of you are not even going to watch it on TV and most likely you will just torrent it or watch it online through stream. So I don't see why some of you guys are upset.
Old 2009-01-20, 03:35   Link #187
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
You know I have a questions to you guys? Why are you upset that the show won't air? The show is still going to be available via stream and other means. Most of you are not even going to watch it on TV and most likely you will just torrent it or watch it online through stream. So I don't see why some of you guys are upset.
You aren't quite getting the point here. -wry- It could be the reason it's not airing that fans don't really care for. Also, if it airs on TV, there's more exposure...which could result in more fans appreciating Hetalia. ^^ Of course, negative publicity might well have done that. :P

The show will only be available via streaming on animate.tv, and mobile streaming. Seeing as how I'm not in Japan, the latter's out, and there hasn't been much info about the former...personally, I'm kind of worried about whether I can actually view the streams. Hopefully they don't block it by region, too (animate is a Japanese site, I'm not gonna wrack my brains looking around)...I remember when I wanted to stream Heroes and it wasn't 'available in my region'. Similarly, if fansubbers have trouble getting to the streams, they might just not do it...
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 06:30   Link #188
CPOK
Gun Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennkei View Post
And Australians would be bogans wearing flipflops and scaring tourists about drop bears. -sniggers-
*Snerk* I would love to see them animate that! (and yes, I am an Aussie)
CPOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 12:24   Link #189
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I deleted a lot of posts that didn't get my earlier hint. This is a show that satirizes international politics and stereotypes, but we should be discussing the show and what it presents, rather than discussing the meta-politics around a makeshift controversy.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 01:07   Link #190
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Thank you very much for cleaning things up around here.

Maybe we should follow JP fans' lead and use the character's names (instead of saying America, Germany, etc.) so that people understand that we aren't conflating them with entire modern-day, real-life political bodies....
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 01:37   Link #191
gaguri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Thank you very much for cleaning things up around here.

Maybe we should follow JP fans' lead and use the character's names (instead of saying America, Germany, etc.) so that people understand that we aren't conflating them with entire modern-day, real-life political bodies....
Please don't feel pressured to do that. I think most Koreans here, well at least in this forum, understand that there's no hatred found in the way different races are portrayed in this anime. I wish to avoid any further misunderstandings that might arise from such a proposal. Unless people want to use characters' names of course, then by all means.

Last edited by gaguri; 2009-01-22 at 01:52.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 02:07   Link #192
Hourai
MINES

Send a message via AIM to Hourai
Speaking of the character names, is there a list of which country has what name?
Hourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 02:26   Link #193
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Found this list on Facebook, of all places:

Spoiler for Character names, ages, heights:
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 03:05   Link #194
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
Funny that America and Canada don't have the same name if they're brothers... Maybe Canada is using an alias
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 04:41   Link #195
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalman View Post
Funny that America and Canada don't have the same name if they're brothers... Maybe Canada is using an alias
The character names aren't official. They're just more of a "what if..." kind of thing to give each character a name that comes from their country of origin. They're never used in the actual series, though; just by fans when they want to be cautious about speaking about the series in the presence of people who may be unfamiliar with it (so no one will be accidentally offended).
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 16:15   Link #196
Apathy
does not compute

Quote:
The character names aren't official. They're just more of a "what if..." kind of thing to give each character a name that comes from their country of origin. They're never used in the actual series, though; just by fans when they want to be cautious about speaking about the series in the presence of people who may be unfamiliar with it (so no one will be accidentally offended).
I think that the names used to be on the author's old (now-deleted) blog, or the like. I'm not sure if they've shown up since, as I'm still pretty new to the fandom, but if they are used, they seem to be used in fandom.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 16:43   Link #197
FireChick

I don't necessarily see why a Korean character in a manga is a bad thing. I don't see anything bad about having a Korean character in a manga. I mean, look at Kamichama Karin for example. That has a Korean character and there was no prejudice about it at all. I'm not being mean or anything. Heck, there are even English and Italian (Gunslinger Girl) characters in anime/manga and they aren't prejudiced in any way. Just making a point.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 18:35   Link #198
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Of all the countries in Hetalia (those who has appeared in the strip at least... Just mentioned also seems to count ), only Prussia, Canada, Belarus, Sealand and Turkey don't have their own Profile Page/Pictures. So I guess those 5 are either fan-name or unannounced names :x

All other countries' names are official names from Himaruya (sp.?), the author

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 16:44   Link #199
Klarr

Today is the day!! I hope they upload it soon ^^
Klarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 16:58   Link #200
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MFBC-1 First DVD is up... will have episodes 1-7

Hmm, appears that you can get it on cellphones now, but it won't appear on animate.tv until the 26th? "1/26 16:00 animatetv" :x

Last edited by Koroku; 2009-01-24 at 17:34.
Koroku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy