AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-11-05, 14:15   Link #121
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
downright HILARIOUS for a Female Admiral.
Why would it be hilarious? A feminine touch is better for a delicate ship like Kongou~
Old 2013-11-05, 15:04   Link #122
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Why would it be hilarious? A feminine touch is better for a delicate ship like Kongou~
Never knew BUUURRRNNIIIINNGGG LOOOOOOOVVEEE was considered delicate. Seems new to me.
Old 2013-11-05, 15:10   Link #123
Seitsuki
Onee!

You need to understand a maiden's heart more.
Old 2013-11-05, 15:16   Link #124
Gravitas Free Zone

Slightly off-topic, but I have to admit this: Whenever I see BURNINGGGGGG LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE I think of some strange crossover with Macross 7.
Old 2013-11-05, 19:43   Link #125
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
*snips*
Kantai isn't as good a crossover material as Touhou is though. Moe ships is a limited demographic, and while you see obvious crossovers with Arpeggio (even the endcards agree!), not much else comes to mind for artists (you'd think Strike Witches, ESPECIALLY with Fumikane drawing original Russian ship girls now, but nope!). Though there are some weird ones using Legend of Galactic Heroes...
Old 2013-11-05, 19:56   Link #126
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Never knew BUUURRRNNIIIINNGGG LOOOOOOOVVEEE was considered delicate. Seems new to me.
Inside a playful character like Kongou, there is a delicate maiden hidden...
*she will nagged you for attention if you gone idle for 30 minutes
Old 2013-11-05, 20:09   Link #127
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Yeah, Kongou is the clingy girl that always needs your attention in-game. Wonder how that will work out in the anime.

Edit: A few stuff Ithekro will definitely like. Because, Yamato.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2013-11-06 at 06:58.
Old 2013-11-15, 23:04   Link #128
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Moe ships is a limited demographic
I dunno, military equipment nerdery has never been as popular as now. I never thought I'd say there was something good about the Cold War, but at least that era's living memory of WW2 and Damoclean threat of mutually assured destruction ensured a certain awareness in the public consciousness of the harsh realities of war. The connection between a moe battleship browser game and a Predator drone might not be readily apparent, but in my mind it's there, and it's called "gamification".
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2013-11-16, 03:03   Link #129
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I dunno, military equipment nerdery has never been as popular as now. I never thought I'd say there was something good about the Cold War, but at least that era's living memory of WW2 and Damoclean threat of mutually assured destruction ensured a certain awareness in the public consciousness of the harsh realities of war. The connection between a moe battleship browser game and a Predator drone might not be readily apparent, but in my mind it's there, and it's called "gamification".
Well, it would also help in that they got guns. Big Guns.
Old 2013-11-18, 09:28   Link #130
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Well, if anything, they sure got the most convenient times to be popular... considering the situation in East Asia is making Japan more wary of its Chinese and North Korean neighbors, I wouldn't be surprised if that actually helped.

Though outside the scope of KanColle, I haven't been doing much reading to know how much of an in-thing this is in general (military equipment nerdery) at present times compared to before.

... Despite being a non-player I sure do have a lot of fantasies I should be making fan art out of this series. Thing is, I've been alternating between actually caring about my university projects and getting stoned in front of the monitor and nothing much in between to do that.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2013-11-18, 22:46   Link #131
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Pantyhose is a tag here, wow....xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2013-11-18, 22:51   Link #132
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Assassin View Post
Though outside the scope of KanColle, I haven't been doing much reading to know how much of an in-thing this is in general (military equipment nerdery) at present times compared to before.
Look at World of Tanks. Look at the Battlefield series and Call of Duty. Look at all the billion books about WW2. Hell, look at Girls und Panzer. Pop culture loves idolizing soldiers and describing their equipment in ever-increasing detail. It's a disturbing trend, really.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2013-11-19, 01:19   Link #133
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

I don't think it's much of an issue here, as the moe is given more of a focus over the "hard" military hardware statistics, where even in the game are given "generic" names (see the Long Lances just called 61cm torpedoes, or the Zeroes called Type 52s etc). You guys are overthinking this too much.

Seriously, this is a series that makes much on how slim Yuubari's waist is, or how Nagato's jealous of Yamato being the center of attention post-WW2.
Old 2013-11-19, 09:32   Link #134
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Seriously, this is a series that makes much on how slim Yuubari's waist is, or how Nagato's jealous of Yamato being the center of attention post-WW2.
It doesn't help that we do really like to overthink things to the point of our own frustration and self-annoyance, but we're just too masochistic to just stop overthinking.

Jokes aside, I don't really we can put much weight into what is depicted in the 4koma apart from that they are mostly played for the laughs. Though I wouldn't bet against that being played up in the anime - or the anime adapting the 4koma instead (which would make fans go ballistic I suppose).

In the first place "generic" names like the Long Lance and the Zeroes are all actually what the Western side calls them for convenience, at least better than having to mention mouthfuls like "61cm torpedoes" every single time.

In the end, after you take out the "military" part and gameplay aspect, all you're going to see is cute girls... doing cute things (I... just had to say that).

Old 2013-11-19, 09:48   Link #135
CBredbeard
Banned

So is this going to be slice of life? Cuz I think they'd have a hard time depicting battles at sea without it being really dumb. Yeah, I know, Strike Witches I thought that would be dumb when I first saw it, but when you got down to it it was girls flying around, carrying over-sized machine guns, with a few magical powers here and there.

Battles at sea are slower paced. Not being able to fly makes any action less dynamic. Not being able to use their limbs to fight with either to wield a weapon or to throw a punch or kick, it'll be difficult to connect with the actions the girls perform.

If they're all made into giants, it might work better. If they're portrayed to be on the same scale as the actual sea battles, it might work. However, most depictions of the "admiral" are that he's basically the same size as the girls. Even in the game it doesn't seem like they're hundreds of feet tall carrying around thousands of tons of equipment.
Old 2013-11-19, 10:24   Link #136
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Assassin View Post
In the end, after you take out the "military" part and gameplay aspect, all you're going to see is cute girls... doing cute things (I... just had to say that).
Sinking each other is hardly a cute thing.
Old 2013-11-19, 10:46   Link #137
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
Battles at sea are slower paced. Not being able to fly makes any action less dynamic. Not being able to use their limbs to fight with either to wield a weapon or to throw a punch or kick, it'll be difficult to connect with the actions the girls perform.
Several girls wield hand-held weapons, like Tenryuu, Tatsuta, and Murakumo, ya know, while the carriers are actually archers. A good number of the Destroyers use their main guns as "handguns" as well.

And the Tenryuu manga does make it seem like the combat is more like ice-skating over the ocean too.
Old 2013-11-19, 10:52   Link #138
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Sinking each other is hardly a cute thing.
I already mentioned taking out the military and gameplay aspects...

Old 2013-11-19, 13:02   Link #139
Gravitas Free Zone

Another meta scaling thing that goes through my head is that the Strike Witches are individual pilots, while the kanmusu are ships. If you sink Kongou, that's 1200 people who just died.

Mostly the side material has sidestepped this topic (after all, the 4komas are trying to be funny and cute, not grimly depressing), but it occurs to me every so often. Like how seeing Hanna Marseille freefall toward a landing reminds me that the real one died that way.
Old 2013-11-19, 21:40   Link #140
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Mostly the side material has sidestepped this topic (after all, the 4komas are trying to be funny and cute, not grimly depressing), but it occurs to me every so often.
Even the 4koma detours into pretty serious stuff. See how Maikaze keeps on looking for Nowaki (which in real life sunk with all hands AFTER it rescued the crew of Chikuma), or how Hibiki turned into Bep overnight because she got scared that her sisters left her alone again (Hibiki was the only ship left of the Akatsuki class that survived the war).

Tags
ship girls