AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-01-09, 18:39   Link #81
Tenzen12

I wonder if Kato is supposed be main heroine here. I know it's sort of point but somehow I just can't imagine her step out of her side character personality. To be honest even that moment between them on the end felt pretty forced to me. Well, let's see how it will work out, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was pretty terrible. The jokes have no bite and the dialogues no wittiness, so all we're left with is a run-of-the-mill harem anime that thinks it's better than the rest because it's self-aware. It's not. Its only saving grace is its fanservice, which was definitely high grade. It could have been enough for me if only there were nipples. I've been too spoiled by series like Qwaser, DxD or TLR to be content with this level of service anymore.

I'll watch a few more episodes to see the direction the series is going to take, but if it's anything like this ep, I won't last long.
I will put aside your evalution of selfaware humor here (it was pretty smart), but what I have problem with far more is comparing it to tasteless fanservice like DxD or Quasar. As you noted Saenai definitely has first class fanservice, shows you mentioned in other hand NOT.
Old 2015-01-09, 18:58   Link #82
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I wonder if Kato is supposed be main heroine here. I know it's sort of point but somehow I just can't imagine her step out of her side character personality. To be honest even that moment between them on the end felt pretty forced to me.
I'm pretty sure that whole point of why she is the heroine. She's less tropey and more normal compared to the others and story goes out of it's way empathize that loudly (see: her and Tomoya's convo near the end). It's meta within meta.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 19:33   Link #83
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I'm pretty sure that whole point of why she is the heroine. She's less tropey and more normal compared to the others and story goes out of it's way empathize that loudly (see: her and Tomoya's convo near the end). It's meta within meta.
Did you miss that part when I said: "I know it's sort of point, but..."?
Old 2015-01-09, 20:33   Link #84
Iron Maw
Banned

I dunno how I missed that part... I way to tired I guess. Well your question more or less answered right? She is the only one who isn't throwing herself at him and Tomoya happens to have the most meaningful conversations with her compare to others else... whom tend to be more about gags and harem shenanigans then anything else really. Maybe if all that gets toned down later on and more serious interactions take place perhaps then there will more sense of ambiguity on who ends up with who.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 08:03   Link #85
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Hehe

Well, the "normal" episodes will definitely be less fanservicey.

I can only strongly recommend _not_ to expect another WA2, this is definitely NOT the focus of this show. WA2 was a heavy epic drama, Sodatekata is a lighthearted harem romcom. This is for fun, not for tear-wringing.

DragoonKain3: So you are full steam ahead for Eriri? I really do like her, but if you love witty banter, she is going to get bloody noses against Utaha. Still, please don't kill Utaha in a fire. Like someone already wrote, Utaha is Maruto's alter ego in this show.
Are you really sure about this? I mean, from what I read about people who are following the LN the more recent volumes are just like WA2 regarding the drama
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 08:07   Link #86
MgMaster

Okay, gonna keep this simple, as if fitting for such shows:

So basically, we're in for fun times with otaku "Kirito-kun" & his harem. The fanservice seems pretty well-handled & the show seems to be self-aware at times, which is always a plus in my book. As with most of the harem,ecchi anime that do show some potential, the 1st episode was pretty fun and definitely deserving of at least a 3 ep rule. There's always the risk of it getting boring & repetitive as it moves along tho', but we'll see.

And oh yea, Utaha best girl.

But more important, mr.Maruto Fumiaki. WHERE'S MY 2ND SEASON OF WHITE ALBUM 2? I'm starting to loose hope here.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 15:05   Link #87
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Halfway through episode 0 and I realized something that may as well forebode into its next episodes...

It's like the production team took a look at the original source material and decided to put their own branding.

In a way I think it's quite good. The source material though has character development... which I am getting a bit weary to go through. I still have yet to figure out Utaha's character, I don't really like Eri in most mediums I've seen (the Egoistical Lily and the main series), there's another character I don't really I know yet based from the materials that's out there (so far I only read the manga) and... Megumi is sidetracked as expected when I think Tomoya's planning to "produce" her to be the perfect heroine (per the series title).

The anime seems to be altering things from what I know for a bit, and I think I'm liking it. Though still confused as well.

P/S: They're making Utaha look like a pervert waiting to chance upon her prey (Tomoya), I don't know if that's a plus or a minus point. A minus point for some maybe but not me.
P/S II: "Your hair's gotten pretty long"... Hey, does this mean we're in a in medias res opening to the series? Because I recalled Megumi's hair were shorter when I started with the manga.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----

Last edited by Master Assassin; 2015-01-10 at 15:24.
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 21:07   Link #88
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
Are you really sure about this? I mean, from what I read about people who are following the LN the more recent volumes are just like WA2 regarding the drama
Based on the mangas, yes (unfortunately, there are no LN translations I am aware of). Yes, there's some climax drama, but it's nowhere near WA2 levels. This is mostly romcom.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 21:17   Link #89
Somnus
Eh?

Just watched ep 0. Is this going to be my guilty pleasure of the season?

You bet.
Old 2015-01-11, 01:05   Link #90
karuroso

Quote:
Based on the mangas, yes (unfortunately, there are no LN translations I am aware of). Yes, there's some climax drama, but it's nowhere near WA2 levels. This is mostly romcom.
If you haven't read any vol from the LN you can't exactly affirm (me neither since I haven't read any) it's nowhere near WA2 levels of drama or if its mostly romcom (even though it does seems so) if you are basing this only on the mangas =X isn't the LN the main source?
Old 2015-01-11, 02:42   Link #91
Mazryonh

I was under the impression that Michiru Hyodo (the purple-short-haired girl) was a minor character, but they seem to really be pushing her in this special. Does she have a spin-off manga of her own, like Eriri and Utaha do? I'm sure a lot of people would like to see a more realistic K-ON! about getting into music from doujin/amateur origins.

I can't remember the last time I saw Sayuri Yahagi (Michiru's seiyuu) as a significant character role, but this show is shaping up to be a nice addition to her repertoire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
And oh yea, Utaha best girl.
Not likely she'll be the main girl, though. But what's her deal with trying to seduce Tomoya and calling him "Mr. Ethical" anyway? Does she have a history with him? I can't think of any reason why she'd rationally want to hang around him beyond a "strictly business" arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
But more important, mr.Maruto Fumiaki. WHERE'S MY 2ND SEASON OF WHITE ALBUM 2? I'm starting to loose hope here.
Hopefully this series helps to cement Maruto's reputation in the anime world and he gets to write some more nice anime series.

Speaking of WA2, if there's going to be unrequited love in this series, I hope that the makers had some good sense and rehired the song writers from WA2. That series had a lot of heartbreakers for songs, alright, and combined with Maruto's writing they were beautiful.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 11:09   Link #92
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
If you haven't read any vol from the LN you can't exactly affirm (me neither since I haven't read any) it's nowhere near WA2 levels of drama or if its mostly romcom (even though it does seems so) if you are basing this only on the mangas =X isn't the LN the main source?
This.
I saw what was on the novels and depending on how far the anime goes we coulde see some delicious tears and some netorare drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Not likely she'll be the main girl, though. But what's her deal with trying to seduce Tomoya and calling him "Mr. Ethical" anyway? Does she have a history with him? I can't think of any reason why she'd rationally want to hang around him beyond a "strictly business" arrangement.
She is the LN series' face.

Also there is a manga adaptaion called Saekano - Metronome : http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51465324.html
Vol.7 is on sales: http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51465310.html
Scan:

Last edited by Miraluka; 2015-01-11 at 12:15.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 19:51   Link #93
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Guys. White Album 2 is a milestone in textbook drama. Yes, there were occasional jokes mixed in, but the tone of the story was very serious overall. The story was all about the meticulously worked out lead triangle.

Saekano is a _romance comedy_. It doesn't really take more than the OVA (which would have been impossible in WA2), the amount of jokes and the various existing mangas. They are no dramas, they are romcoms with a big com element. Yes, of course, during their resolutions we'll also get tears and drama, but it is _not_ the focus of the show. And I find it very hard to believe that the LN would be so different to manga/anime.

If you tell any person not familiar with the material that it's the next WA2, you are doing them a big big disservice, by raising wrong expectations.
Old 2015-01-11, 20:27   Link #94
karuroso

Quote:
Guys. White Album 2 is a milestone in textbook drama. Yes, there were occasional jokes mixed in, but the tone of the story was very serious overall. The story was all about the meticulously worked out lead triangle.

Saekano is a _romance comedy_. It doesn't really take more than the OVA (which would have been impossible in WA2), the amount of jokes and the various existing mangas. They are no dramas, they are romcoms with a big com element. Yes, of course, during their resolutions we'll also get tears and drama, but it is _not_ the focus of the show. And I find it very hard to believe that the LN would be so different to manga/anime.

If you tell any person not familiar with the material that it's the next WA2, you are doing them a big big disservice, by raising wrong expectations.
And like I said you are basing this only because of the mangas and this first episode, you haven't read the main source yet (and I'd guess WA2 vn also, since it isn't trasnlated), who knows if the anime will try to be more serious than the manga from ep 1 and so on for example? or if the LN is more serious than what you think? because again you havent read it.

However I do agree with you that it doesn't seems it would be like another WA2, at least the anime (but the LN I do believe it could be though)
Old 2015-01-11, 20:32   Link #95
Mentar
Banned

So you seriously think that no less than _three_ compatible manga series AND a fanservice OVA ep0 are still insufficient to make a call? And that the LN would be _completely_ different to all of them? Why the heck would anyone expect that? *blinks*

I mean, more power to you, but...
Old 2015-01-11, 20:42   Link #96
karuroso

Quote:
So you seriously think that no less than _three_ compatible manga series AND a fanservice OVA ep0 are still insufficient to make a call? And that the LN would be _completely_ different to all of them? Why the heck would anyone expect that? *blinks*

I mean, more power to you, but...
Like I said the anime as you pointed, it doesn't seems like it will be like WA2 but the LN is a different medium with the author himself participating more directly and because of what I heard from people that are actually reading and spoilers I believe theres a chance for the LN be more serious just like WA2 (the later volumes mainly), and the anime highly unlikely it could be =X
Old 2015-01-11, 20:45   Link #97
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Oh, so that means the manga that's been available thus far were created with more seriousness in mind, I seriously thought Saekano was a honest-to-goodness serious story.

If that means I'll see more of ep 0 Utaha, though I fear for the safety of Tomoya's virginity (tongue-in-cheek), it's a big welcome for me. I just love that kind of comedy.

Old 2015-01-11, 20:49   Link #98
IceHism

It's a big drama. I'm not sure where you are getting that it's gonna be mainly romcom.

I put a link in here that reviews the plot of the first 7 LN volumes. Spoil yourself at your own risk.

Spoiler for If you want to spoil yourself:

edit: Besides, are people forgetting the first 6 episodes of White Album 2??? The first 6 episodes were used to introduce the characters, there was no drama until after.

Last edited by IceHism; 2015-01-11 at 21:27.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 21:10   Link #99
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Assassin View Post
Oh, so that means the manga that's been available thus far were created with more seriousness in mind, I seriously thought Saekano was a honest-to-goodness serious story.

If that means I'll see more of ep 0 Utaha, though I fear for the safety of Tomoya's virginity (tongue-in-cheek), it's a big welcome for me. I just love that kind of comedy.
Erm... nope. It's serious but what the manga some people've seen so far isn't reaching those moments.

*points out at IceHism's post*
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-11, 21:33   Link #100
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Erm... nope. It's serious but what the manga some people've seen so far isn't reaching those moments.

*points out at IceHism's post*
Oh well.

Time to gear up for the drama. *loads magazine*

I guess episode 0 really doesn't intend to give off that vibe. Presumably to keep people watching I guess, before the lid to the sand trap is opened.

Tags
comedy, romance