Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-08-31, 14:09   Link #1
Apathy
does not compute

Laptop slow to start up

Hi,

My laptop has recently been pretty slow to start up, sometimes taking around 15-25 minutes to get going, and I've had to restart it occasionally when it's seemed to get stuck. It seems to run normally once it's gotten started, but it's pretty frustrating until then.

As it's around a year and a half old, I suspect it's more to do with the number of programs running at startup and less to do with its age, but who knows. I've also run virus scans and nothing's come up.

In any case, I'd appreciate any advice. |D; Being pretty tech-incompetent, sometimes I feel like kicking it.

(Here's a HijackThis log, if it helps).

Spoiler for HijackThis log:
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 14:24   Link #2
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
25 minutes? .. I suggest reinstalling Windows after backing up photos or whatever it is you want to backup. If the problem persists, or you can't even install Windows, then there must be something wrong with the HDD.
Old 2011-09-01, 05:31   Link #3
sa547
*Author

My, that's a lot of programs to load up. Guess you'll have to uninstall programs that you're not really using or quite too useless to the laptop.
Old 2011-09-01, 14:28   Link #4
Apathy
does not compute

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if reinstalling Windows would help, although it came preinstalled, so I guess I'd have to find an installation disk somewhere.

25 minutes seems to be when it's at its worst, though (today it took more around 5-10 minutes), so I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing if I can try to speed it up some other way before I do something that big. Would you have any suggestions as to which programs I can safely uninstall/prevent from automatically loading at startup? If there doesn't seem to be another way, though, then I'll see what I can do about reinstalling Windows.

Thanks again.
Old 2011-09-01, 14:39   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

mine take about 5 min or so to startup (one of the reason i am planning to buy a new one). With 25min i am thinking you got a virus or something in there.
Old 2011-09-02, 07:51   Link #6
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
Thanks for the input. I was wondering if reinstalling Windows would help, although it came preinstalled, so I guess I'd have to find an installation disk somewhere.

25 minutes seems to be when it's at its worst, though (today it took more around 5-10 minutes), so I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing if I can try to speed it up some other way before I do something that big. Would you have any suggestions as to which programs I can safely uninstall/prevent from automatically loading at startup? If there doesn't seem to be another way, though, then I'll see what I can do about reinstalling Windows.

Thanks again.
If you are no sure which one to pick for faster startup,you can try these program:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/startuplite
http://www.soluto.com
Old 2011-09-02, 13:09   Link #7
Dist

No matter how ancient laptop you have, it should not take even 10 minutes to boot up, let alone 25 minutes. Even if you reduce the programs starting at startup, I highly doubt you have so many that it would take 25 minutes. Besides if the time seems to change, sometimes 10 minutes and sometimes 25 minutes it's even more of a reason to suspect HDD failure or problems in the HDD anyway (not necessarily leading to a completely broken one).

Try booting your computer in safe mode (press f8 when it's starting up before Windows loads up and it should let you pick). If it still takes considerable amount of time with no programs being loaded, then there's definitely something wrong with the HDD. If it loads up fast, then the problem is in massive amounts of programs at start up, or probably virus(es).

In that case, download HiJackThis and have it save the logfile, then post it here.
Old 2011-09-03, 05:24   Link #8
Apathy
does not compute

I tried starting it in Safe Mode, and it did seem to boot a lot faster than if I had started it normally. I guess it's possible that it's still an issue with the HDD, but here's the HijackThis logfile, for now.

Spoiler for HijackThis logfile:
Old 2011-09-03, 05:51   Link #9
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Don't expect your laptop to run faster any time soon as long as you have ~80 processes running at the same time. The ideal number of processes should be somewhere between 20 and 30, or a bit above 30.

Startup should basically contain the following:

- Essential Windows processes
- Essential drivers
- A few programs of your choice

Get rid of anything that doesn't fit in the above categories.
Old 2011-09-03, 05:53   Link #10
EroKing

1. type msconfig in "run"
2. deselect/disable things you don't want on startup
3. profit ???

seriously though that's still a hell load of softwares you got on startup. If you don't find any viruses/malwares just reinstall windows.
Old 2011-09-03, 05:57   Link #11
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
I tried starting it in Safe Mode, and it did seem to boot a lot faster than if I had started it normally. I guess it's possible that it's still an issue with the HDD, but here's the HijackThis logfile, for now.

Spoiler for HijackThis logfile:

If your computer is still taking around 10 minutes to boot even using Safe Mode, then the problem will still be the hard drive. The additional time to boot is for your conflicting software. Case in point, you seem to have 3 different anti-virus (including biggest offender, Synaptic), some ad-aware software, and yahoo-messenger services (which you shouldn't load at start-up anyway). One quick way to solve your problem is to go to your Start menu, select Run, type in "msconfig" and this will open up the Services Menu. In the General section, select Diagnostic Start-up, which will load only the most basic drivers and services at start-up (basically you'll be running in Safe Mode without being in Safe Mode). If you know what you're doing, you can instead keep Normal Start-Up and navigate to the Services and Start-Up tabs and turn off extra services individually. If the services in question are determined to be the culprit, then you can uninstall them. You should probably only keep one anti-virus (AVP), but there's probably a better anti-virus out there.

Again, if the hard drive still takes at least 10 minutes to load Windows, then you still need a new hard drive, so just bite the bullet, back up your programs and files and ferry them over to a new hard drive. Otherwise, it's like repairing a kitchen while the building's on fire.
Old 2011-09-04, 13:08   Link #12
Dist

I doubt it's the HDD if it loaded up faster in safe mode. The HjT logfile is safe (no viruses), but there's WAY too many processed as has been said. Write the msconfig command and delesect EVERYTHING, then pick the essentials that must be launched on boot such as Antivirus. Messenger or camera software or anything like this does not have to launch at boot.

Also I can only wonder why on earth do you have multiple AV software and ad-aware softwares.. They will conflict with each another and will not work as expected. Uninstall all but one..whichever you prefer of them.

Also read thisarticle. I still recommend you to reinstall whole Windows after backing up whatever you want to back up. While disabling the software that starts on boot won't take long, chances are, there are also other issues in the Windows and fixing it would require a lot less effort by reinstalling Windows. And when you're in the fresh install of Windows and you're going to install programs again, be sure to check their settings and disable automatic start on boot.
Old 2011-09-06, 05:48   Link #13
Nihokon

Reinstalling windows is probably the easiest way to escape this mess.

CCleaner is a good tool to keep to clean unnecessary files and registry that might slow down your laptop, also to manage and disable startups.
Also, if you're planning to install Spybot S&D after reinstalling windows, might be a good idea to disable the teatimer unless you're really paranoid.
Nihokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 00:09   Link #14
ReverzerO
Disabled By Request

For me the effective way to boost my laptop is to reformat and install only those important applications I needed. I also check the requirements of its applications before installing. Some applications now a days needs a higher specs. Before doing such things, be sure to back up your important files and don't do some tweaks to boost your laptop if you are not sure about it.
ReverzerO is offline   Reply With Quote