Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-02, 08:22   Link #2441
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
This.
The ending of anime is perfect and no other ending from VN would fit it better IMO (I'll explain in detail why I think so once I find more free time). I am just glad that Beetrain decided to not end the show with a nicer ending because of fanservice.
A better ending would have to let them both live or at the very least just kill Elen and let Reiji live in despair, but still alive. But then people would complain there was no Elen ending or no Mio ending or something. Either way, if they didn't kill him, no one would have come up with it.

I just didn't like the ambiguity with Elen's fate. Its like she got the worst part at the end, being all alone.
Old 2009-10-02, 09:55   Link #2442
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Man what a Diabolus Ex Machina at the end. I was gonna give it an 8/10 but now it's dropped to 7.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 12:39   Link #2443
The1
Relentless sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Man what a Diabolus Ex Machina at the end.
I totally agree with you, that's why i flamed BeeTrain.
The1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 15:07   Link #2444
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Huh? Who are we to say that the ending was "doing it wrong?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Yes, because of theme of series is all about karma, you got what you deserve for what you have done is the crux of the story here.
His death is necessary because the theme is karma? I guess I could buy that on a philosophical sense but that doesn't take away the fact that his death was gratuitous.

Why do you think some people are miffed, going so far as to put out versions without the last 8 seconds? It's because the audience would have been satisfied without his getting shot. The story could have been complete without his death. That's why it's unnecessary. Have you seen that movie "Pay it Forward" with Spacey and that kid from Sixth Sense? Anyway, the kid dies in the end for no reason, and it's kinda the same thing here. Sorry if I spoiled the movie for you, but the movie was god awful so consider it a good thing. Hah.

Quote:
Elen/Ein has no reason to go rampage since she is satisfied with new found her identity and memories thanks to humane Reiji. She is content to live her life quietly or wait for retribution for her history as Phantom which shown in the end where she lie dead on the quiet plains of Mongolia, staring at sunset with small smile on her lips forever. She found her peace within herself and willing to face death for her past deeds. That is pretty brave of her, to be honest. Perhaps too, it would explain why she is giggling as she saw the assassin in the end.
Ehhh, she should have been the one to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
How many times do we have to say it:

Title: Phantom ~ REQUIEM for the Phantom ~
First OP song: KARMA
Dead Key Characters: McCunnen, Lizzie, CAL
Last ED song: Transparent

With all that foreshadowing... the ending fits perfectly. Once again, this is Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and not Phantom - Phantom of Inferno.
It's not Requiem for Reiji, it's Requiem for the Phantom. It could refer to Cal or Reiji or both. It should really just have referred to Ein though. She's rather annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
And why was it unnecessary? He would have to pay for his actions sooner or later. Inferno was after him, he would get killed anyway. Animators decided to kill him now, probably signaling that there will be no season 2.

And even though I like Elen, having second season only with her will be a bit boring There are no phantoms to stop her. Unless that guy in carriage was a secret Scythes child who is Phantom 0
Yeah I agree. Ein would be boring unless she turns into a complete psycho war machine, in a series that perhaps can do without the constant tragic tones. Then there's a chance it could be fun to watch.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 17:17   Link #2445
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
His death is necessary because the theme is karma? I guess I could buy that on a philosophical sense but that doesn't take away the fact that his death was gratuitous.

Why do you think some people are miffed, going so far as to put out versions without the last 8 seconds? It's because the audience would have been satisfied without his getting shot. The story could have been complete without his death. That's why it's unnecessary. Have you seen that movie "Pay it Forward" with Spacey and that kid from Sixth Sense? Anyway, the kid dies in the end for no reason, and it's kinda the same thing here. Sorry if I spoiled the movie for you, but the movie was god awful so consider it a good thing. Hah.
People are upset for similar reasons people got made when any protagonist/character dies in a series. The same thing happen when Cal died. They liked that character so it sad when they die. This issue has gotten overblown because of VN fans or people who learned the VN endings had there hearts set on a certain VN ending. When BeeTrain changed that ending it surprised and shocked them. They thought this was going to be a happily ever after ending but BeeTrain decided differently. They need to get over it.

This ending is certainly nothing out of the blue for this genre and I've seen it a number of times. The ending could have been different but then Cal could have lived too and so could have Claudia and everyone else but it doesn't leave the same emotional impact nor have the same message. It certainly not random for an assassin to die by the way they lived.

If you cut off the 8 secs you really are doing yourself an injustice. The ending was beautiful and sad. A nicely put together tragedy. Tragedies have there own appeal. Happily ever after doesn't always have to be a given. In this type of show its almost always the opposite like a Ga-rei Zero, Death Note, Code Geass, Gunslinger Girl etc.
Old 2009-10-02, 17:50   Link #2446
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
They thought this was going to be a happily ever after ending but BeeTrain decided differently.
Worst of all: the VN ending doesn't guarantee that they even survived the day, yet alone reached the goal of successfully running away from Inferno.

Still for some reason, Elen fans act as if they got a message "And they lived happily ever after" at the end of it.
Old 2009-10-02, 18:03   Link #2447
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Worst of all: the VN ending doesn't guarantee that they even survived the day, yet alone reached the goal of successfully running away from Inferno.
The same could be said for the anime ending. It's not guaranteed Reiji died.

The ending was very similar, if not influenced, from the anime Gungrave. I wasn't surprised they left an open ending for Gungrave, since I never played the game. This wasn't the case here, however.
Old 2009-10-02, 20:00   Link #2448
Spinner187
Too old for Anime?

I found an edited version of the last episode where all the subber did was cut the cart scene out and have it end with Elen smiling a fading. And you know what it made sense. Not realistic, but it seem like a typical happy ending.
Spinner187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 21:59   Link #2449
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

With all the editing of the last ep., it doesn't bode too well for the series imo.

Bee Train might as well do it themselves and make some money off the fans who wanted the canon ending.
Old 2009-10-03, 07:44   Link #2450
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

What was the canon ending?
Old 2009-10-03, 07:58   Link #2451
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
What was the canon ending?
There are five canon endings. The anime one minus dead Reiji is one of them.
Old 2009-10-03, 08:00   Link #2452
klare

i have read some of the suggested endings here, but i would prefer to stick with this anime's unique ending (the guy who shot Reiji could be the newest Phantom)

and yes they may not die

if the sales are good, they will be back to take down Inferno
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 08:04   Link #2453
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It didn't get good ratings though. Will that count against them?
Old 2009-10-03, 18:04   Link #2454
The1
Relentless sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It didn't get good ratings though. Will that count against them?
Ratings are more or less guidelines, if the sales are good they will continue producing it. Ratings atm say that the sales won't be that good.
Old 2009-10-03, 18:05   Link #2455
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I want an alternativ ending where Reiji will beat inferno .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 10:35   Link #2456
The1
Relentless sinner

Making alternative like 'end of evangelion' would be cool but chances for that happening are next to nothing.
Old 2009-10-05, 10:51   Link #2457
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Alternative ending? Sure. All of us have to chip in and invest the production. At least, few million USD? Then get some studio to animate it.

Profit.
Old 2009-10-06, 16:33   Link #2458
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Takagaki Ayahi and Irino Miyu have talked about their feelings after finishing Phantom. I have translated Ayahi's remarks at the end of this blog post. I found them so interesting that I will copy-paste them here:
Spoiler for Takagaki Ayahi's impressions of the show:
Check out the full blog post, which is mainly about the CANAAN character songs she just released. They're great. I've linked there to YouTube audio of one of the songs.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 23:09   Link #2459
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Just watched this show to ep 15... and skiped to the ending. Why did I do this? They go and start reviving everyone again.

I was happy, with Ein's death in the beginning, it felt like a fresh new start for Zwei. Finally, when they introduced a bright character(Cal), they just had to go and revert the show back to its dark and gloomy self. Basically, Ein's revival made the show feels really emo again and I didnt want to go through the slow trainwreck that is bound to happen.

Ah.... I guess I am just flaming b/c they gave the ending to the person that LEAST deserved it. I was expecting more of a death note ending to this... Oh wells
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 04:54   Link #2460
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Ah.... I guess I am just flaming b/c they gave the ending to the person that LEAST deserved it. I was expecting more of a death note ending to this... Oh wells
u mean they should not let Elen live?
klare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, eroge, gunfights, seinen