AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-07-09, 10:16   Link #9001
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm not saying "magic beats guns" here, all I'm saying is that a mage doesn't become 'better' solely by virtue of holding a gun. It increases tactical options, sure, but the gun isn't automatically 'better' then his magic. From what we've seen so far, excluding framerate-analysis (which I still disapprove of) we've seen no evidence of guns tearing through mages like wet paper. The TSAB still holds firm even though organized criminal groups use regular weapons. The fact that the TSAB isn't being walked over by these groups like dirt leads me to conclude that magic and weapons are on an equal base.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 10:39   Link #9002
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinekochan View Post

I like your dialogue. You've given a lot of thought for Jeno I can tell. But... what's Toaruverse? Another parallel continuum?

Not exactly

I was refering to the [To aru Majutsu no Index] universe Basically it's another anime.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 11:55   Link #9003
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm not saying "magic beats guns" here, all I'm saying is that a mage doesn't become 'better' solely by virtue of holding a gun. It increases tactical options, sure, but the gun isn't automatically 'better' then his magic. From what we've seen so far, excluding framerate-analysis (which I still disapprove of) we've seen no evidence of guns tearing through mages like wet paper. The TSAB still holds firm even though organized criminal groups use regular weapons. The fact that the TSAB isn't being walked over by these groups like dirt leads me to conclude that magic and weapons are on an equal base.
You know, I hope that sooner or later, by the time the TSAB catches up to those M16-toting folks, we actually get to see what happens when they fire guns at mages so we can get specific canonical answers to what bullets do against Barrier Jackets, shield spells, barrier defenses, and vis-a-vis a flying mage's dodging ability .
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 11:56   Link #9004
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
You know, I hope that sooner or later, by the time the TSAB catches up to those M16-toting folks, we actually get to see what happens when they fire guns at mages so we can get specific canonical answers to what bullets do against Barrier Jackets, shield spells, barrier defenses, and vis-a-vis a flying mage's dodging ability .
They should just make Earth clash with Mid-childa. I'm sure that would make a pretty interesting plot in itself.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 12:04   Link #9005
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

ah, but earth does not have the tech to realise cross dimensional transport by themselves, and it's merely a non-administered world with a low well of magicals to tap into. Sure, there were Hayate, Nanoha and Graham, but only 3 known magi of significance is hardly reason for them to pay a lot of attention to.

Quote:
On the other hand, there are some very strange names in there...
... strange... names?

Quote:
Wow nice work! I think I saw some plastic guns like that at a stall in COSFEST last weekend.
You just got pwned lowe. plastic guns lol

Last edited by Nya~n; 2010-07-09 at 12:34.
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 21:29   Link #9006
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
IIRC, the last time someone shot a gun at a mage was in SSX, with some poachers against Erio, and the former didn't fare so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
You just got pwned lowe. plastic guns lol
Not really bothered by it all that much. The term "plastic gun" can be taken in another context actually - back in the 60's, the M-16 was called that, alongside its other name "the Mattel Rifle" - Mattel as in the creators of Barbie, even though Armalite had nothing to do with said toy company.

Besides, most modern guns today are made of composite materials which do look like plastic

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 21:35   Link #9007
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
IIRC, the last time someone shot a gun at a mage was in SSX, with some poachers against Erio, and the former didn't fare so well
...good grief; somehow that had never penetrated my head; particularly the part where the poacher says: "The bullets ... With a spear?!" Suggesting that he didn't even bother with a shield, but just went all Wonder Woman on the shots with Strada!

Still, I'd like to see something with visuals, not just sound effects.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 00:07   Link #9008
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
And here it is, the final chapter of WindS-B!

Spoiler for WindS-B - Chapter 4: Midnight Wind:

Spoiler for Notes:

*runz*
I'll be honest. Although I didn't like the second half of ch 3.5, I just loved how the story developed in ch 4.

If Fuuko does succeed in reviving her parents, I'm VERY curious how the TSAB will respond. I might be the only one saying this... but even if this is the bad end route. I'm actually rooting for Fuuko to prevail. :3

Also, the sketch was done really well. I really love the design for Fuuko's left gauntlet.

As for Dhivallia... She's a unison device, right?

Quote:
Asclei gave Fate the run for her money! Do update soon.
I will. There's a high chance that I will post the continuation tomorrow. Its just that I had to proofread the next part of chapter 3, and at the same time, finish the visual aids that will come with it.

Quote:
It is a simple drawing, but very moving. I thought Null was KOS-MOS for a second though...
KOS-MOS? If you like her, you might as well look forward to the introduction of Sephiria then. Her design was completely based on Xenosaga's KOS-MOS. I'm done with her profile, and illustration. The only reason why I'm not sharing more is because her profile has a lot of massive spoilers concerning Asclei.

TBH, I have like 12 OCs that are ready to be posted but I'll have to save them for later. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Somehow, everybody's coming back, even Nighty

I've taken alot of time to remake my old characters, everything is going out of the window now. I need recreate everything- New Organizations would have to be created... The concept of the Destroyers would have to be tossed out, cause everyone and their trap friends have an evil limey mastermind and a Freelance psychopath behind the scenes, no point adding more. Especially with how the recent FORCE manga is going, mass killing of innocents just to look badass is not in style anymore. I'm also taking some lessons from Toaruverse to spice up magic in Nanohaverse... Needless to say, that's alot of stuff to do.

But one step at a time...

Spoiler for Jeno's new Profile:

EDIT(2):

Spoiler for Management:

I was wondering just what the Nephilim Mages are. I'm glad that you elaborated more about them in detail in the later section. I guess that's another characteristic that Asclei and Jeno shares.

I'm quite impressed with Jeno's tactics and proficiency in combat. Its nice to see another OC that can actually match the aces.

Quote:
------

Speaking of firearms and guns...

In 2007, I created these two devices for my OC's Remington Smith and Colt Wesson, codename Linebackers:

And their combined buster form Linebacker X

Since then I've long felt the device design to be overly simplistic, not to mention poorly designed. As part of my Perfect Grade rebuild project, here are the new and updated redesigns for the Linebacker devices:

Spoiler for Size:

I think I'mma take the Blizzard route of "it's done when it's done" on my character and device profiles...
Whoa! I'm speechless. I'm quite fond of the designs of those firearms. I'm quite envious since I've been trying to design some for Asclei and his comrades, but I just can't seem to come up with a good one.

You deserve a lot of praise for such work. >:3

Quote:

Spoiler for The New Girl:

Lol. I laughed so hard when they spoke about Fate and Nanoha. :lol:

Anyway, Jeno might be a villain like you say, but I find him quite likable.
Will Jeno, Spica, and Linnith join the Bureau in the end? I'm just curious that's all. =D

Last edited by Silvance; 2010-07-10 at 04:43.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 01:39   Link #9009
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Hmm... What about the other effects of conventional firearms? I assume spells require a certain level of concentration? Could the loud gunshots or flashy explosions be enough to render an unexperience mage shell shock and unable to focus?

I sometimes get a tiny bit Disorientated when too many people shooting one after another around me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate T Harlaown View Post
I'm quite impressed with Jeno's tactics and proficiency in combat. Its nice to see another OC that can actually match the aces.
I hope I didn't downplay Nanoha or Fate too much, they are supposedly one of the best of course. Jeno was simply surviving.

But if I have to pick a rival, I suppose Fate would do nicely because of their similar fighting styles. I'll have one Nephilim for every Ace...

Quote:
Lol. I laughed so hard when they spoke about Fate and Nanoha. :lol:

Anyway, Jeno might be a villain like you say, but I find him quite likable.
Will Jeno, Spica, and Linnith join the Bureau in the end? I'm just curious that's all. =D
Hmmm probably not. Maybe some unwilling alliance, but nothing permanent. The whole reason I wanted Jeno to be on the 'bad' side was because there are somethings you can't do as a 'hero'. Certain actions you're force to take because it's the right thing to do. As a villain, Jeno does not have that restrain, he can do anything he wants like whatever it takes to save the people important to him. To do bad things for good reasons, and good things for bad reasons.

This would be the theme that I'll work with for all my OCs in [Nephilim].

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2010-07-10 at 02:41.
Old 2010-07-10, 02:26   Link #9010
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I hope I didn't downplay Nanoha or Fate too much, they are supposedly one of the best of course. Jeno was simply surviving.

But if I have to pick a rival, I suppose Fate would do nicely because of their similar fighting styles. I'll have one Nephilim for every Ace...
Eh? I don't think there's anything wrong with downplaying the Aces though. They maybe the best but that's only within the Bureau's ranks, no? D=

Well, I do understand the feeling of not accepting the existence of any characters that are beyond the capabilities of our favorite aces, but I think its good once in a while to have a threatening opponent that can send chills down to their spine... since it adds more tension. Its just me but during StrikerS, it didn't really feel like Nanoha and Fate were in danger of losing their lives at all.

A rival, huh? Intersting, I can't wait to read more about it. =D

Quote:
Hmmm probably not. Maybe some unwilling alliance, but nothing permanent. The whole reason I wanted Jeno to be on the 'bad' side was because there are somethings you can't do as a 'hero'. Certain actions you're force to take because it's the right thing to do. As a villain, Jeno does not have that restrain, he can do anything he wants like whatever it takes to save the people important to him. To do bad things for good reasons, and good things for bad reasons.

This would be the theme that I'll work with for all my OCs in [Nephilim].
Ah~ I see, I see. I'm relieved since having former enemies join the Bureau is starting to get old. Again, that's just my opinion. D=

*Oh god, I hope I didn't offend anyone >_<

EDIT:

I almost forgot. Do you have a profile for Spica?
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 02:41   Link #9011
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Eh? I don't think there's anything wrong with downplaying the Aces though. They maybe the best but that's only within the Bureau's ranks, no? D=

Well, I do understand the feeling of not accepting the existence of any characters that are beyond the capabilities of our favorite aces, but I think its good once in a while to have a threatening opponent that can send chills down to their spine... since it adds more tension. Its just me but during StrikerS, it didn't really feel like Nanoha and Fate were in danger of losing their lives at all.

A rival, huh? Intersting, I can't wait to read more about it. =D
Everyone wants to do that, it just that they're afraid to come off cheap while doing so Me included.

Well, if they want creative haxx Villains that can bend laws... I know a few from another series that we can borrow from...

Just to clarify, 'rival' as in their opponent for a 1v1 match.

You already know about Jeno who if I have to choose, would be Fate's opponent.

Signum, Vita and Hayate would have someone more interesting than Jeno, I hope

Quote:
Ah~ I see, I see. I'm relieved since having former enemies join the Bureau is starting to get old. Again, that's just my opinion. D=

*Oh god, I hope I didn't offend anyone >_<

EDIT:

I almost forgot. Do you have a profile for Spica?
Not yet, she's one of my earliest characters that I've created during the first incarnation of the OC thread, the more senior residents here would know her already so she's not that high up my remake list yet. But don't worry, it'll come up soon...
Old 2010-07-10, 03:58   Link #9012
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:

See, that's why I made my OC, Noland. Well, his original incarnation was supposed to be a villain of sorts. Though, currently, he's a bit of a nice guy... My initial intention was to have him be one of those reoccurring enemies that no matter how much beamspam you pour on him, he always returns. He doesn't really bend laws, other than being an overwhelming and fearsome tempest (ha!) of RAGE. The way I had him, he could very well crush Mid-Childa as he did ancient Belka.

Hmm... maybe I should go back to that someday...

Though, I am guilty of that "joining the Bureau" thing with Noland... heh.
Old 2010-07-10, 04:32   Link #9013
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Not yet, she's one of my earliest characters that I've created during the first incarnation of the OC thread, the more senior residents here would know her already so she's not that high up my remake list yet. But don't worry, it'll come up soon...
Hence, we desire to see more Tsundere Jeno x Spica in the future. kthxbai-

*SHOT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Though, currently, he's a bit of a nice guy...
Yeah, like starring in some of the most heartwarming sweetcheesium pieces to date right?

Keroland forever

*RUNZ*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 04:42   Link #9014
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

There is a reason why "keroland" is one of the tags for OCT after all

*RUNZ FOR IT TOO*
Old 2010-07-10, 09:37   Link #9015
Heinekochan
Nyaa! ^w^

Quote:
Not exactly

I was refering to the [To aru Majutsu no Index] universe Basically it's another anime.
Oh... Haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
... strange... names?
Sorry I only realized after my post that they were all inspired by cars.

Quote:
Not really bothered by it all that much. The term "plastic gun" can be taken in another context actually - back in the 60's, the M-16 was called that, alongside its other name "the Mattel Rifle" - Mattel as in the creators of Barbie, even though Armalite had nothing to do with said toy company.

Besides, most modern guns today are made of composite materials which do look like plastic
@_@

I didn't mean it in any negative manner! Onii-sama, Sempai and me went to COSFEST, and there were these people all dressed in army/swat uniforms touting plastic replica guns. Linebacker resembled one of the high-tech-looking plastic rifles on sale.

Quote:
KOS-MOS? If you like her, you might as well look forward to the introduction of Sephiria then. Her design was completely based on Xenosaga's KOS-MOS. I'm done with her profile, and illustration. The only reason why I'm not sharing more is because her profile has a lot of massive spoilers concerning Asclei.

TBH, I have like 12 OCs that are ready to be posted but I'll have to save them for later. :3
:banana dancing gif:

I can't wait!

Quote:
Keroland forever

*RUNZ*
Frogland? Where is that place? It sounds like fun.
Heinekochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 10:02   Link #9016
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
I'll be honest. Although I didn't like the second half of ch 3.5, I just loved how the story developed in ch 4.
Good, honesty is good

Quote:
If Fuuko does succeed in reviving her parents, I'm VERY curious how the TSAB will respond. I might be the only one saying this... but even if this is the bad end route. I'm actually rooting for Fuuko to prevail. :3
I'll think about it, right now I'm going back to BreakerS

Quote:
Also, the sketch was done really well. I really love the design for Fuuko's left gauntlet.
Thanks :3 It's based on a fanart of Signum in armor, with a bit of my style in it

Quote:
As for Dhivallia... She's a unison device, right?
No, she's a familiar, a bat to be exact
Old 2010-07-10, 10:38   Link #9017
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
@_@

Finyally, a Kamen Rider fanyaa!

*glomps WildGoose*

I was introduced to LoweGear's Mayura by Onii-sama, but Franz sounds like a nice character to be involved with too. =^w^=
Franz generally an okay person to be around, if a bit... eccentric. He's also known to the Belkas as "Ankoku no Rider, AbareHunter!" due to an incident involving unstoppable rage... said incident was only resolved by a Double Rider Kick from Mayura and one of Mayura's part time students...

One of his most prized possessions was the "Yurusenai!" shirt. Unfortunately, that shirt is no longer in his possession.

Quote:
No, I mean hypothetically speaking, if you can get an assault rifle/shotgun/sub-machine into the hands of a mage, would it be an improvement?

Put aside the TSAB and their laws first.

Put aside all the high-level mages.

For what they've shown us to be an average mage in the Nanohaverse, would firearms help improve their offensive capabilities? Or have magic completely render conventional weapons inrelevant? AMF non-withstanding.
TK and Ark have said most of what I wanted to say...

Regards mages using guns, my OCs are a TSAB blackops outfit affiliated with TK's OCs, and yes, they do use guns. A lot of it is due to deniability on Non-Administered Worlds and also because as a surprise weapon, nothing beats a good rifle - magic has discharges that can be detected, and flying about throwing magical blasts around is a good way to alert the TSAB that something's going down.

By contrast guns. Main detectable emission? Sound. Answer: Supressors. Provided you can ambush the target and take it out quickly enough, there's nothing that can immediately alert the TSAB that you're there.

Guns:
Pro: high rate of fire, harder to detect usage with standard magical means, can be used by anyone.
Cons: Needs ammo, banned by the bureau, not as versatile as magic.

Magic:
Pro: almost-unlimited ammo, more versatile with various spell options, better active defensive options.
Con: needs well-fed mage to provide power, lower rate of fire compared to guns, can be detected by standard magical means.

Solution: A weapon such as Franz's Cobra or Leo Kozlov's Rifle, which can use both standard 7.62mm rifle rounds as well as fire magic attacks and use cartridges.

Quote:
Actually for that last bit, We already have devices transforming into all shapes and sizes with technology far more complex than any firearms. Why not a device-firearm? We have have it transform into different types of weapon rifle/shotgun/sniper.

...Got that Idea from watching E3's Vanquish
I've got that also Franz's device Cobra transforms from a bolt-action rifle to a sword; Leo Kozlov's device is a Mk 14 EBR, with basic mode (standard short barrel EBR with 2x ACOG) and sniper mode (long barrel with 8x sniper scope).

Quote:
Hmm... What about the other effects of conventional firearms? I assume spells require a certain level of concentration? Could the loud gunshots or flashy explosions be enough to render an unexperience mage shell shock and unable to focus?

I sometimes get a tiny bit Disorientated when too many people shooting one after another around me
Quite possible; that disorientation is part of the principle behind the flashbang - loud bang to disorient the target, deafen them, and screw up their sense of balance & a bright flash to blind them. Vita's Eisengehaul is pretty much a flashbang turned up to eleven, so I'd wager similar effects on mages who aren't used to lots and lots of gunfire.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 13:02   Link #9018
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
I'm not saying "magic beats guns" here, all I'm saying is that a mage doesn't become 'better' solely by virtue of holding a gun. It increases tactical options, sure, but the gun isn't automatically 'better' then his magic.
To me "more options" in combat pretty much automatically equates to "better" so you basically just agreed with us.

Quote:
From what we've seen so far, excluding framerate-analysis (which I still disapprove of) we've seen no evidence of guns tearing through mages like wet paper.
We've never seen much evidence that they wouldn't either, or at least that they wouldn't be a significant threat if used in larger numbers of competent disciplined troops.

Quote:
The TSAB still holds firm even though organized criminal groups use regular weapons. The fact that the TSAB isn't being walked over by these groups like dirt leads me to conclude that magic and weapons are on an equal base.
This hardly proves anything and is pretty stupid argument IMO. Criminals that are really heavily armed are acutally very rare. For all the bitching and moaning about gun crime the fact is a vanishingly small number of incidents acutally involve firearms, and of that tiny percentage the number that acutally end in the firearm being discharged is even fewer still.

There are after all counties on earth where most police are armed with nothing more dangerous then a nightstick and yet still manage to keep order. Of course in those countries when someone with a gun and the will to use it DOES show up they quickly call in more heavily armed specialists. The TSAB is likely the same gun crime is probably pretty rare, but when someone with a gun does show up it's likely they call in higher level response teams and they probably attack as a group as well.

There's also the fact that most criminals are going to be working either alone or in very small groups. As in real life the police are likely to be attacking with a much larger number of people which considerably mitigates allot of magics problems. For police work magic is indeed sufficient most of the time and in many cases superioer due to it's non-lethal applications. That said the problem of mage rarity comes up again, as of the small number people that seem to be potent magic users an even smaller number of people are going to interested in government work, and most of them will probably be taken by the military branches, others will going to the civil service or rescue units, and then a small percentage will be given over to local law enforcement. This could of course be combated with some kind of draft (drafting to fill out police ranks is done a few places), but that brings up all manner of problems.

It seems very likely most TSAB police officers acutally aren't magic users, or are extremely weak ones, who must call for back up by more powerful users during any serious incident of violent crime. This system might be workable though an argument could also be made that arming the more mundane officers with firearms could allow them to intervene sooner and possibly save lives. The problem is that's police work and the TSAB is at least in theory also has a military branch. Here the idea that you don't need guns get's allot harder to maintain becasue a military wouldn't just have guns it would have rockets, grenade launchers, artillery, armored vehicles and so on and these can very blatantly give magic a very real run for it's money.

Yeah you probably don't need conventional weapons for dealing with criminals, but if faced with even a modern military the TSAB would probably be forced to rely on orbital fire to really win in any invasion situation. Given there uncertain but seemingly limited number of mages, let alone really powerful ones, and the accuracy and lethality of modern weaponry saying you just don't need conventional weapons in a military context is pretty suspect. Actually this could explain there non-intervention on war torn worlds. Unwilling to just burn the place from orbit, without the manpower pool of mages to absorb losses, and with no conventional weapons to supplement that pool there only option is to do nothing. In a bit of bitter irony the TSAB swearing off of conventional weapons means they can't intervene effectively to stop the abuse of conventional weapons on a large scale unless they're willing to start blasting cities from orbit.

Quote:
To me that's acutally another point in the guns favor, if they were really useless or even just very poorly effectively why would you so blatantly arm yourself with them? They're illegal so simply being seen with them would instantly be cause to arrest you where as if you just kept a lower profile someone might acutally have to investigate and come with a reason to arrest you. It's downright stupid to even have them if they wouldn't be of some use in fighting off a possible intruder.

Thoma certainly didn't seem to think that just jumping down and beating them all up was such a hot idea given that he very obviously made all efforts to avoid the guards. To me this implied he certainly viewed the weapons as a potential threat to be avoided if possible, and he's arguably a much better yard stick of how an average mage would perform them some monster like Nanoha.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2010-07-10 at 13:37.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 13:55   Link #9019
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Soldiers under [Nephilims] are not exactly human. They are dead mages whos bodies have been reanimated back to life using powerful nanotechnology, technically they didn't come back from the dead as the nanomachines are now the ones in control. If a Nephilim becomes unable to function properly, the Nanomachines can leave the body to find another host. However, to find one that is compatible to the individual set of machines is very difficult, one could be searching for years before an acceptable host is found. The Nanomachines are able to cast magic via the host's Linker Core.
One thing I don't get though...the "they didn't come back from the dead as the nanomachines are now the ones in control", so how come they seem to act as themselves?

[EDIT:]
Here's the Preview to the resuming of BreakerS but following the style I used in WindS-B...

Spoiler for BreakerS Ch24 Preview:

As it hints, I'll be finally revealing more of Maren's past as well as the main antagonist (as if it wasn't obvious aready...)

And now, Koji and Maren's Updated Profiles as well as Altea's Profile \o/ (aka, the main characters for the upcoming arcs)

Spoiler for BreakerS - Koji's Updated Profile:

Spoiler for BreakerS - Maren's Updated Profile:

Spoiler for BreakerS - Altea's Profile:

That's it for now :3

Last edited by FlameSparkZ; 2010-07-10 at 16:37.
FlameSparkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 17:10   Link #9020
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

Mages are no more or less vulnerable to disorientation than any other person. Flashbangs and such have already been shown to work against mages, we've seen their magical versions twice already after all.

As for how it would disrupt their concentration... well, loud explosions have never shown to affect mages that much, so I'd say they're trained for that kind of thing. Anything designed to throw people off guard will throw them off guard, but battle sounds are battle sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
To me "more options" in combat pretty much automatically equates to "better" so you basically just agreed with us.
*rolls eyes* Yeah, if you want to be nitpickery like that, sure. But if I have to spell it out for you, what I meant was that giving a mage a gun doesn't automatically make him better than he would be when giving him a device.

Quote:
We've never seen much evidence that they wouldn't either, or at least that they wouldn't be a significant threat if used in larger numbers of competent disciplined troops.
Not counting Erio and Subaru that is, though of course they aren't average mages. And before the whole 'mid guns just suck' pony gets rolled out again, it's not that hard for a criminal organization to just go to earth and get some earth guns.

Quote:
This hardly proves anything and is pretty stupid argument IMO. Criminals that are really heavily armed are acutally very rare. For all the bitching and moaning about gun crime the fact is a vanishingly small number of incidents acutally involve firearms, and of that tiny percentage the number that acutally end in the firearm being discharged is even fewer still.
Which is why I said 'organized' not 'random punks robbing convenience stores.'

Quote:
There are after all counties on earth where most police are armed with nothing more dangerous then a nightstick and yet still manage to keep order. Of course in those countries when someone with a gun and the will to use it DOES show up they quickly call in more heavily armed specialists. The TSAB is likely the same gun crime is probably pretty rare, but when someone with a gun does show up it's likely they call in higher level response teams and they probably attack as a group as well.
Sure, but those heavily armed specialists aren't the equivalent of tanks.

Quote:
There's also the fact that most criminals are going to be working either alone or in very small groups. As in real life the police are likely to be attacking with a much larger number of people which considerably mitigates allot of magics problems. For police work magic is indeed sufficient most of the time and in many cases superioer due to it's non-lethal applications. That said the problem of mage rarity comes up again, as of the small number people that seem to be potent magic users an even smaller number of people are going to interested in government work, and most of them will probably be taken by the military branches, others will going to the civil service or rescue units, and then a small percentage will be given over to local law enforcement. This could of course be combated with some kind of draft (drafting to fill out police ranks is done a few places), but that brings up all manner of problems.

It seems very likely most TSAB police officers acutally aren't magic users, or are extremely weak ones, who must call for back up by more powerful users during any serious incident of violent crime. This system might be workable though an argument could also be made that arming the more mundane officers with firearms could allow them to intervene sooner and possibly save lives. The problem is that's police work and the TSAB is at least in theory also has a military branch. Here the idea that you don't need guns get's allot harder to maintain becasue a military wouldn't just have guns it would have rockets, grenade launchers, artillery, armored vehicles and so on and these can very blatantly give magic a very real run for it's money.

Yeah you probably don't need conventional weapons for dealing with criminals, but if faced with even a modern military the TSAB would probably be forced to rely on orbital fire to really win in any invasion situation. Given there uncertain but seemingly limited number of mages, let alone really powerful ones, and the accuracy and lethality of modern weaponry saying you just don't need conventional weapons in a military context is pretty suspect. Actually this could explain there non-intervention on war torn worlds. Unwilling to just burn the place from orbit, without the manpower pool of mages to absorb losses, and with no conventional weapons to supplement that pool there only option is to do nothing. In a bit of bitter irony the TSAB swearing off of conventional weapons means they can't intervene effectively to stop the abuse of conventional weapons on a large scale unless they're willing to start blasting cities from orbit.
*rubs temples* So... where did I say that guns would be bad for the TSAB? All Chaos asked was 'does a B-rank mage need a gun?' I answered 'well, no I don't believe they do' I never said anything about how the TSAB as an organization might improve through the usage of guns, in fact ever since SSX I've been arguing that the TSAB does allow it's non-magical forces to carry guns. Runessa was one example, and while Vice was certainly surprised, he wasn't going "OMG how does the TSAB possibly allow you to carry that highly illegal piece of equipment? This is bad! This is wrong!" His answers was more along the lines of being a "Oooh, pretty gun, you don't see that every day" gun-nut.

Quote:
To me that's acutally another point in the guns favor, if they were really useless or even just very poorly effectively why would you so blatantly arm yourself with them? They're illegal so simply being seen with them would instantly be cause to arrest you where as if you just kept a lower profile someone might acutally have to investigate and come with a reason to arrest you. It's downright stupid to even have them if they wouldn't be of some use in fighting off a possible intruder.

Thoma certainly didn't seem to think that just jumping down and beating them all up was such a hot idea given that he very obviously made all efforts to avoid the guards. To me this implied he certainly viewed the weapons as a potential threat to be avoided if possible, and he's arguably a much better yard stick of how an average mage would perform them some monster like Nanoha.
I'm not saying that guns are useless, I'm just not convinced they're inherently superior. To me, they're on equal ground, and mage ranks are like the caliber of your guns. A B-rank bureau mage is like a well-equipped soldier, while Nanoha and co are more battleships in level. Sure, Thoma isn't going to charge into a bunch of gun-totting guys, he doesn't stand a chance.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content