AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-09-22, 21:20   Link #1
Seiryuu

A certain type of childhood-friend story

There's plenty of childhood-friend stories out there, but there's one that I've seen several times as a substory or something similar. In these stories, the childhood friends are suddenly separated at a young age, not because of a parent's work or some other situation, though that may play a part in the separation or guarantee the separation lasts; the major force though is some major event involving the pair, one which ends very badly and results ultimately in the two being driven apart.
One of the most common setups has the girl in very bad health (something that happens frequently in anime), and the boy tries to cheer her up or play or something but ends up hurting her. Due to the girl's already fragile condition, the injury caused by the boy drives the girl's parents to panic and forbid him from ever seeing her again.
In these stories, naturally the two meet up again years later, by coincidence or deliberate action, but the events of the past are a heavy burden, often with a good bit of guilt in one or both characters' hearts, making it all the more difficult to try and start again.
As I said, I've seen this a few times in anime and manga, generally as a sub-story or something like a "lost route" that happens after the main character has already made up his mind about things. In cases where the girl was sick, the reunion is often triggered either by the girl's recovery, or by the girl's option to take a risky route that could grant her full recovery.
While I've seen this a few times as side stories, I was wondering if there were any where this is actually the MAIN story, dealing with old and new feelings, quilt, maybe even anger, as the pair is brought back together once more. My only wish is to avoid stories where someone is terminal; there's enough depression out here in RL so I try to steer clear of stories where you know it's going to end with an early death.
Also, while the most common story setup I can think of has injury of a sick person or severe enough injury to have major lasting effects, this is not necessarily the only setup. There are plenty of other ways that a something major could happen to drive a wedge in. I don't care what sort of event happened or how it drove the two apart, so long as the children were involved enough to carry some feelings of guilt or responsibility and the story actually sees the characters' relationship through to a proper conclusion.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 21:31   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ai Yori Aoshi is the one that leaps to mind.

I guess Martian Successor Nadesico would also count... and uh... Elfin Lied... yeah.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 00:01   Link #3
jedinat

Honeymoon Salad comes to mind... though it's not really about childhood friends, but a high school friendship/romance that was sort of mysteriously and harshly cut off (by the girl)... The story takes place 10 years later when the girl suddenly shows up again.

Nothing closer to your request is coming to mind...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 01:58   Link #4
Pepito

While it doesn't involve exactly a childhood friendship, I think Kimi ga Nozomu Eien have a feeling like the one you're looking for.

Also, I second Ai Yori Aoshi
Pepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 02:59   Link #5
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Ai Yori Aoshi definitely should be on top of the list.

Love Hina also counts (though it's a lot more lighthearted in nature), though I would highly suggest the manga instead of the anime.

Someone suggested Elfen Lied but I would advise against it if you have a weak stomach

Also, I have another superb title popping out of my head right now. Sadly it's a VN and very unlikely to get any translations done so I'll leave that one out.
Old 2013-09-23, 08:40   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well.. yeah.. Elfin Lied is probably not what he wants but it certainly matches the requirement.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2013-09-25, 05:56   Link #7
Seiryuu

Yeah, a girl who chops people in two and rips their organs out with a glance is a little extreme for a romance heroine, but she does certainly fit. The same may be said of AYA (and I've seen both btw). KGNE may fit, but it's hard to want to watch it with the stuff I've heard the guy does; I suspect if I watch it I'll be hoping he DOESN'T get the girl.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 14:04   Link #8
Pepito

KGNE is a long shot, but the guy isn't that bad in my eyes (maybe you're confusing it with School Days, which have one of the most repulsive protagonists I've ever seen...).

Now, another one you can try is Kimikiss Pure Rouge it literally starts with the long gone childhood friend returning to home.

And, I think Sora no Manimani fits your request too, with the guy coming back to his hometown after 7 years of absence, it's not that romantic centered, but the romance is in there nonetheless.
Pepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 14:35   Link #9
jedinat

I watched KGNE back in a time when I was under the impression I had to finish every anime I started. It's probably one of the most masochistic things I've ever done.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 20:21   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Yeah, a girl who chops people in two and rips their organs out with a glance is a little extreme for a romance heroine, but she does certainly fit. The same may be said of AYA (and I've seen both btw). KGNE may fit, but it's hard to want to watch it with the stuff I've heard the guy does; I suspect if I watch it I'll be hoping he DOESN'T get the girl.
Oh yeah Sora no Manimani would fit the request I forgot about that one.

Maybe even Ano Hana could count if you stretch things a little bit.

Still, if you've seen Aoi Yori Aoshi then the next best I can suggest would be Martian Successor Nadesico.

Last edited by Sackett; 2013-09-26 at 10:18.
Old 2013-09-25, 22:44   Link #11
Dawnstorm

I wonder if Myself;Yoursef counts? Nothing happens that separates them, but something happens to the heroine after they separate, and when they re-unite the hero is utterly baffled why she's so cold to him (but still jealous).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote