AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 26 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 43.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-29, 13:49   Link #21
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think the director change announcement is a fake, inserted on the KyoAni site by vandals. Here is my reasoning:

1. No press release would say "because he has not reached the level of being a director yet," as I read this one to do.
2. The announcement was posted sometime between midnight and 3am Monday morning, when staff is normally not at work.
3. It says the change will take place with episode five, but episode five will already have been completed by now.
4. The announcement opens in a small new window, unlike other announcements in the news list.
5. The announcement page was made in Adobe GoLive, using the "x-sjis" character set. The rest of the site appears to be simply in "shift_jis" and gives no creating software.

In my opinion, Lucky Star is a unique and superior show, and one of the best comedy anime I have ever seen, at a higher level of humor than all but a few other anime.

It seems to me likely that some kimo-ota, emboldened by their success over Gurren Lagann, are now turning their sights on someone else with a higher aesthetic sense than theirs.

Time will tell. It is now not quite 4am Monday in Japan. KyoAni staff will not be on the job for a few hours yet.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-29 at 18:14.
Old 2007-04-29, 13:49   Link #22
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Omni sure got it fast this week.

Random curiosity - Lucky Star Eps. 04

Is that a Death Note parody that I see!

EDIT:

Sorry my bad, the entry was made by Jaalin and not by Omni.
Old 2007-04-29, 13:55   Link #23
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Question for those who have watched Ep04 and understood the dialogue. Why did Kagami cry?

*sniffle*

(I should be asleep already... but I am burning to know answers from this and StrikerS... Man... I am going to "die" tomorrow...)
Spoilers! SPOILERS!

Old 2007-04-29, 13:57   Link #24
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Man, out of all the episodes this one sure was the fullest of references. While there were plenty of visual gags (the To Heart one was absolutely BRILLIANT considering some of the fan-art floating around), but there were a few voice-only ones too.

Spoiler for some thoughts about ep 4:
Old 2007-04-29, 13:57   Link #25
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As long as we distinguish between 'advertising product placement' and 'this is the normal sort of thing Konata would be chatting about' .... just the use of fad items is okay if it is in context because this is what these sort of people would actually discuss.

Rather like "Want a Coke?" is not an inherent product placement.

In a real sense, *ALL* anime is advertising --- they want us to buy the manga, the figures, and CDs, DVDs....

I'd make a distinction between what I call "Direct Advertising" and "Indirect Advertising". An example would be Konata's "Don't You Feel The Urge To Buy Things Related To A Particular Title" comment in reference to Comptiq's Refill Card Plan. Once your character starts endorsing your products within an anime it becomes direct advertising (Plus in this case it's a double whammy, because the naive may not know it is happening AND it is being advertised by a cute character, which is almost the "Autosell", whatever I mean by that). Ultimately, most of anime I like to think of as indirect advertising where you want to make people buy your product based off of the content they see and enjoy.
Old 2007-04-29, 14:01   Link #26
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think the director change announcement is a fake, inserted on the KyoAni site by vandals. Here is my reasoning:

1. No press release would say "because he has not reached the level of being a director yet," as I read this one to do.
2. The announcement was posted sometime between midnight and 3am Monday morning, when staff is normally not at work.
3. It says the change will take place with episode five, but episode five will already have been completed by now.
4. The announcement opens in a small new window, unlike other announcements in the news list.
5. The announcement page was made in Adobe GoLive, using the "x-sjis" character set. The rest of the site appears to be simply in "shift_jis" and gives no creating software.

In my opinion, Lucky Star is a unique and superior show, and one of the best comedy anime I have ever seen, at a higher level of humor than all but a few other anime.

It seems to me likely that some kimo-ota, emboldened by their success over Gurren Lagen, are now turning their sights on someone else with a higher aesthetic sense than theirs.

Time will tell. It is now not quite 4am Monday in Japan. KyoAni staff will not be on the job for a few hours yet.
Wow. Your reasoning seems good.

Like you said, time will tell.
Old 2007-04-29, 14:39   Link #27
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Spoiler for some thoughts about ep 4:
Spoiler:
Strangely, I found it easier for me to understand this episode then the others. Perhaps the many blatent references helped.
Old 2007-04-29, 14:49   Link #28
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Wow, the ending song was totally random. Kagami was watching this '81 series with Tsukasa a while ago?
Edit: Apparently there was a remake of the series last year... never mind my comment above.
Spoiler for Episode 4 Ending song by Kagami:
Another episode that was over my Japanese level. Although I have to admit, Konata's presents for Kagami and Tsukasa was a totally win moment for me. By far (for me) the funniest moment.

As for the not able to study on a hot day + mosquitoes, and staying up all night reading after casually picking a book up, that is so true...

Next week: festivals and Yukata!

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2007-04-29 at 14:56. Reason: Remake of the series...
Old 2007-04-29, 14:52   Link #29
Woland
Latin Rascal

Konata has a very good taste for manga

Spoiler for reference get:
Old 2007-04-29, 14:53   Link #30
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
As for the not able to study on a hot day + mosquitoes, and staying up all night reading after casually picking a book up, that is so true...
Yup. I could completely sympathize with Konata's study methods. I too have more than once delayed learning for a test (or a report etc) until the last minute by simply setting my alarm clock earlier and doing it early in the morning. Though usually I would not end up staying up until 2 am in such cases. Not exactly feeling like learning after waking up so early like Konata subsequently also happened to me (as well as simply running out of time because I had not set the alarm clock early enough).
Old 2007-04-29, 14:55   Link #31
Meophist

That reminds me… I have a project due for tomorrow. Instead of doing it, I'm watching anime and am on Internet posting on message boards. I'm telling myself that I need to do the project, but here I am.

In other news, I avoid reading books because I have a hard time putting them down. When I do read books, I often end up staying up all night just to finish it(in one sitting), as my perception of time goes away.
Old 2007-04-29, 15:01   Link #32
krln99

Did anyone see the Fumoff Bonta-kun in Kagami's room? That was a nice touch. Also LOL at Kona watching Haruhi while posting on 2ch.

The ending song, if anyone was curious, was "sailorfuku to kikanjuu," (Sailorsuits and magine guns) orignally by Hiroko Yakushimaru, but most recently re-made and redone by Nagasawa Masami.
Old 2007-04-29, 15:02   Link #33
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post
Konata has a very good taste for manga

Spoiler for reference get:
Spoiler for more info:
Old 2007-04-29, 16:15   Link #34
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Yeah, I can sympathize along with you all. I have a 12-page Political Science paper draft to turn in tomorrow (I'm on pg. 4 atm), yet here I am posting on this forum...
Old 2007-04-29, 16:40   Link #35
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Spoiler for episode 4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDPro
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-29, 17:23   Link #36
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Question for those who have watched Ep04 and understood the dialogue. Why did Kagami cry?

*sniffle*

(I should be asleep already... but I am burning to know answers from this and StrikerS... Man... I am going to "die" tomorrow...)
She lost weight, so she started eating her favorite snacks again, and her weight increased once again. www

Random thought:

Hirano Aya's mimicry of Nohara Shinosuke's voice is superb. GJ!

Last edited by kj1980; 2007-04-29 at 17:55.
Old 2007-04-29, 17:23   Link #37
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

It seems to me likely that some kimo-ota, emboldened by their success over Gurren Lagen, are now turning their sights on someone else with a higher aesthetic sense than theirs.

There really aren't that many good comedy anime I find. Most of them miss the mark, so I'll agree to that. Not much competition.

By the way, this sentence, "It seems to me likely that some kimo-ota, emboldened by their success over Gurren Lagen, are now turning their sights on someone else with a higher aesthetic sense than theirs." I really don't understand what you are talking about here. Could you elaborate.
Old 2007-04-29, 18:07   Link #38
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
...By the way, this sentence, "It seems to me likely that some kimo-ota, emboldened by their success over Gurren Lagann, are now turning their sights on someone else with a higher aesthetic sense than theirs." I really don't understand what you are talking about here. Could you elaborate.
kimo-ota="disgusting otaku," a Japanese catch-word. For others: a producer of GL resigned recently when controversy erupted on 2channel over a change in styles for one episode and it came out that he (I'm not sure why I thought it was she; I'll accept your correction from the GL thread) and a staffer had posted insults on a supposedly private site about kimo-ota on 2channel not knowing anything about animation but thinking they were smarter than anyone else, and about 2channel being the "anus of the Internet." 2channel posters on their GL thread are triumphant. I thought it may be someone of that group finding a way to hack the KyoAni site. There was a lot of negative reaction to Lucky Star on 2channel when it came out. I basically like this show and liked ep4 of GL at least as well as other eps, so I was denigrating the taste of people on 2channel who don't, and making wild accusations against them.

I hasten to add that I actually enjoy 2channel and will defend it in other contexts.

As for comedy anime, I'm sure our tastes differ, but I agree there aren't many I love. Ichigo Mashimaro is my favorite. The current Hayate the Combat Butler is pretty good, too, in a totally different way from either LS or IM.

As for episode 4, the raw is as usual above my Japanese comprehension but still funny. So much win in Konata's half-hour of studying to four hours of nap, reading, playing, etc., and in Kagami's all-night read. Also in Konata's comment about a game (?) where the small-breasted character has an advantage -- Aya being notoriously small-breasted. And Tsukasa's musing: "I guess I'm all right too, then." And I continue to be thrilled with Aya's work as a female kimo-ota. That voice keeps giving me the feeling that Konata doesn't bathe enough, lol.

kj1980, am I right in thinking that the announcement on the KyoAni site says that Yamamoto "hasn't reached the level of director yet"? This is the main thing that makes me think it's bogus.
Spoiler for Japanese text of supposed KyoAni announcement:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-29 at 19:08.
Old 2007-04-29, 18:46   Link #39
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
kimo-ota="disgusting otaku," a Japanese catch-word. For others: a producer of GL resigned recently when controversy erupted on 2channel over a change in styles for one episode and it came out that he (I'm not sure why I thought it was she; I'll accept your correction from the GL thread) and a staffer had posted insults on a supposedly private site about kimo-ota on 2channel not knowing anything about animation but thinking they were smarter than anyone else, and about 2channel being the "anus of the Internet." 2channel posters on their GL thread are triumphant. I thought it may be someone of that group finding a way to hack the KyoAni site. There was a lot of negative reaction to Lucky Star on 2channel when it came out. I basically like this show and liked ep4 of GL at least as well as other eps, so I was denigrating the taste of people on 2channel who don't, and making wild accusations against them.

As for comedy anime, I'm sure our tastes differ, but I agree there aren't many I love. Ichigo Mashimaro is my favorite. The current Hayate the Combat Butler is pretty good, too, in a totally different way from either LS or IM.

As for episode 4, the raw is as usual above my Japanese comprehension but still funny. So much win in Konata's half-hour of studying to four hours of nap, reading, playing, etc., and in Kagami's all-night read. Also in Konata's comment about a game (?) where the small-breasted character has an advantage -- Aya being notoriously small-breasted. And Tsukasa's musing: "I guess I'm all right too, then." And I continue to be thrilled with Aya's work as a female kimo-ota. That voice keeps giving me the feeling that Konata doesn't bathe enough, lol.

kj1980, am I right in thinking that the announcement on the KyoAni site says that Yamamoto "hasn't reached the level of director yet"? This is the main thing that makes me think it's bogus.
Spoiler for Japanese text of supposed KyoAni announcement:
That's a word I would like to add to my vocabulary. Thank you for providing its definition, it will come in handy for sure in the future.

Also on the game discussion with the character having an advantage. I wonder if its an H-Game, because I've noticed the small-breasted characters in H-RPG's and Strategy games always seem to be either event-loss bosses, or very very powerful. From my point of view, Konata speaks the truth.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-29 at 18:57.
Old 2007-04-29, 19:10   Link #40
krln99

The next ep looks really good, especially for those critics who say they "don't do anything" in this series, cuz they're going to a summer festival.

What I don't get is that we assume Konata and the Hiiragi sisters have been friends since at least 1st year of HS, yet they were surprised when Kona told them her mom died when she was little. I think somewhere in the first year that would be revealed in some way.

I hope Kona drags her friends to the Comike or the Comp Matsuri. Those would definitely provide for some great laughs.

BTW, am I the only one who enjoys the fashion in this series? Each of the girls' fashion suits their characters. Kagami is always well dressed. One would imagine she pours through fashion magazines and always buys what's in-style at the moment. Tsukasa dresses much more casual and wears "cute" things suited to girls her age, or maybe even younger. Just the opposite is Miyuki, who is very lady-like in her appearance always in long skirts and long sleeves. Least fashionalbe, unsurprisingly, is Kona, who dresses like a tomboy, and is mostly seen in t-shirts and shorts.
Closed Thread