AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-09-04, 08:33   Link #1
shermanramni

Japanese satellite TV?

I've been wondering for some time and after finding next to none answers, here is my question:
Is it possible to subscribe to Japanses TV channels (such as BS-i and WOWOW) via satellite (especially HD content)? How can be done? Did anyone do it?

Cheers!

Sherman
shermanramni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 09:57   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Not outside Japan, unless your satellite company specifically carries those channels. Animax is available in places like Singapore and Malaysia, but it's not the same as the Japanese Animax.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 11:43   Link #3
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

You would need to be in Japan. Can't be done using sane methods, basically. bs-hi and wowow aren't avaliable outside of Japan either.

Short answer; move to Japan, live long and prosper.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 11:53   Link #4
shermanramni

I see... then, other jap channels? (TV Tokyo, Asahi TV, NHK, etc.)
shermanramni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 12:27   Link #5
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

E* (Dish Network) has TVJapan, which is basically some NHK programming like dramas, sumo wrestling, blah blah... no anime though. I think you're out of luck if that's what you're looking for...
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 13:30   Link #6
bayoab

Some people claim that if you live on the West coast of the US, you can pick up one of the pan-asian satellites for TV Tokyo. I've only heard of one person doing this ever. Otherwise, your SOL.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 13:38   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay View Post
E* (Dish Network) has TVJapan, which is basically some NHK programming like dramas, sumo wrestling, blah blah... no anime though. I think you're out of luck if that's what you're looking for...
I was browing the channel lineup for Verizon's FIOS TV service today and discovered that TVJapan was available. At $25.00 per month, it is the most expensive foreign programming service Verizon offers, a full $10.00 per month more than TV Asia, and more than half the $43 price of the basic 200-channel package.

JapanTV's anime offerings are, frankly, pathetic. I've stated in other threads I'd gladly pay $25.00 per month for a service that packages together a good sampling of the anime shown in Japan with English subtitles (as is some of JapanTV's programming). That's like buying one DVD per month. There's BS2 programming on TVJapan, but nothing like Seirei no Moribito.

It's also poorly marketed. The website doesn't appear to offer any samplings of programs, even just clips in Flash. The program guide links to the programs' websites, but the couple I visited didn't have any samples either.

The high premium price and lack of free samples makes me think TVJapan is really targeted at the overseas Japanese community who probably can pay $25/month for the link to home that it offers.

I don't know how big the Japanese audience in America is, but I wonder how it compares to the anime audience in size. Certainly TVJapan's audience is a lot wealtheir than an anime audience still made up mostly of people under 25. Some of today's 15-year-old anime viewers won't be watching at age 25, but I bet a good number of those 25 year-old will still be watching anime in 5-10 years. TV becomes a bigger part of your life when children arrive, especially things you can watch at 3 am with a baby in your arms and a bottle in your hand.

Does anybody here live in a home that subscribes to JapanTV? Do you watch it?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 16:23   Link #8
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Let me refer you to this thread where some options are discussed.

The short of it, though, is that while there are a couple of options, there are no good options, unless you're in the region.

People who are really serious about their Japanese television end up streaming over the internet from capture devices located in Japan, but that requires a fair amount of money up-front and a very willing contact in Japan.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 21:16   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I checked out TVJapan as well and was seriously disappointed as well. Its really pretty stupid that one can't arrange to have a channel or two arriving from anywhere on the planet.

(sigh, there go some posters using "jap" again... fyi, it pisses many folks off so unless that's the intent ....)
Old 2007-10-22, 01:11   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanramni View Post
I've been wondering for some time and after finding next to none answers, here is my question:
Is it possible to subscribe to Japanses TV channels (such as BS-i and WOWOW) via satellite (especially HD content)? How can be done? Did anyone do it?

Cheers!

Sherman
I believe it's impossible if your Satellite provider does not allow it. I think Direct TV, which is what I have don't offer any Japanese Channels. Not that I care for it ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 07:38   Link #11
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Has anyone used sopcast before? Not knowing what channels (not only in Japan, I do know of only one other channel outside of CN and that's Hero TV in the Philippines) to look for and having NFI as to video quality I was wondering if it was worth checking out.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote