AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 132 80.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 12.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 4.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.61%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-07, 07:18   Link #101
CatOfTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_pintu View Post
Though I do wonder why he didn't come back himself and change the past.
Well I see few possibilities:

1) If future Okabe came to help with the past changing and met past himself there could be time paradox issues and he didn't want to take that chance.

2) The "deceive the past Okabe, deceive the world" might involve talking to Kurisu and I'd think that it would be weird for Kurisu to meet two same looking guys that aren't really same age (therefore look a bit different)

3) This option just fit more nicely with the rest of the plot.

I wouldn't overthink that part. There has been few other incidents that were a bit "mysterious" and made viewers ask themselves why Okabe didn't do that, and why he did that etc. As long as the logic isn't too stupid I can go with it :P

Just my opinions, don't know the real reasons...
Old 2011-09-07, 08:25   Link #102
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Alright... although I didn't fully buy the previous episode (as many 10s as this episode lol), I totally bought this one. This was a FANTASTIC penultimate episode. Lots of buildup, lots of twists and lots of character development. And fuck yea, Okarin is back to his mad scientist self! Male character of 2011 imo.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-09-07 at 18:45.
Old 2011-09-07, 08:56   Link #103
Qikz

Easily the best episode. Okarin is back to himself and Kurisu is definately going to be saved. Oh man the tension, the build up. Just amazing!
Old 2011-09-07, 09:15   Link #104
Sefveron

This episode was fantastic, really blew me away! everything from the updated intro, to the fantastic outro music, i immediately watched it a second time because i liked it so much and i cant say ive wanted to do that for any Anime for a long time! i surprised at how shocked i was at the episode and thats after i already figured out it was Okarin that kills Kurisu! (i back tracked and watched the first episode a while back, pretty easy to pick up on if you watch carefully) but i seriously never expected the foney science lecturer to be Kurisu's father! that was a huge shock to the system! not to mention how she wrote on a report that made time travel possible?!?! wasnt she giving a lecture on how it was impossible to travel back in time? and i neednt mention how incredibly the episode ended!

But now how will he save Kurisu and manage to destroy the paper? Okarin is already back at the present time, Kurisu has been dead for 3 weeks and her father has defected to Russia with the all important Time travel report, Future Okarin says that its impossible to change the established past and events MUST happen, so no matter what happens the events at the radio building MUST TAKE PLACE, so that means Kurisu must be stabbed by Okarin and her father has to escaped with the document and head to russia otherwise the established past will be changed! what an exciting next few episodes we have ahead!
Old 2011-09-07, 09:25   Link #105
Guildleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOfTime View Post
Well I see few possibilities:

1) If future Okabe came to help with the past changing and met past himself there could be time paradox issues and he didn't want to take that chance.

2) The "deceive the past Okabe, deceive the world" might involve talking to Kurisu and I'd think that it would be weird for Kurisu to meet two same looking guys that aren't really same age (therefore look a bit different)

3) This option just fit more nicely with the rest of the plot.

I wouldn't overthink that part. There has been few other incidents that were a bit "mysterious" and made viewers ask themselves why Okabe didn't do that, and why he did that etc. As long as the logic isn't too stupid I can go with it :P

Just my opinions, don't know the real reasons...
IMO, the reason is simple. The time machine has the same limitation as a time leap machine. It cannot change world lines.

However, a D-mail can. By sending that D-mail to his past self (present Okarin), he had actually accomplished his goals.
Old 2011-09-07, 09:41   Link #106
j4c06

While a great episode, I think I liked the previous one better. This episode brings some distracting questions to mind. Like, why was the video file previously empty (but still there), does that mean that the video was sent but not recorded? I.e. it was sent not at the time when it was made? Also, if there was an "international time machine arms race", why isn't the place swarming with military time machines? SERN, at least, tried to make things go their way, but the military seem clueless

PS. Red jelly, anyone?
Old 2011-09-07, 09:45   Link #107
Qikz

I just watched that message back.

What's this odd shadow infront of Okabe?

Is that a hand?
Old 2011-09-07, 09:49   Link #108
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_pintu View Post
Wow, that was an awesome episode. This episode just did so many things right. I really love how Okabe didn't coincidently find a way to save Kurisu but he actually worked on it and suffered for 15 years before finding a way and then telling it to his past self.
Though I do wonder why he didn't come back himself and change the past.
You can't do that, the Attractor Field would most certainly guarantee that interfering would just give rise to another cause of death for Kurisu as in Mayuri's case. This is also why Okabe must experience the Alpha time line to understand how Attractor Field work to come up with the plan to save Kurisu.

Quote:
As for the plan itself, how exactly does deceiving Okabe into thinking Kurisu died saves her when she is still alive? Does this mean that world only tries to stay true to the past according to the memories of the one attempting to change it? Since Okabe remembers Kurisu(and Mayuri in alpha timeline) dying, the attractor field recreates the future according to the past he remembers just to arrive at the same outcome?
This is exactly it. The logic is based on the Strodinger's Cat thought experiment for Quantum Mechanics, it's a good idea to read on it.
Old 2011-09-07, 09:50   Link #109
ookamigirl

Mission: Save Kurisu! Okabe's lucky she showed up with the time machine again.
OMG never saw that one coming. Never would have thought her own dad would kill her over a paper about time machine in the original time line. So much hate & jealousy!
Amazing how trying to save someone can lead them straight into another unexpected death.. Poor Okabe just doesn't have luck with girls. The video message was interesting!

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-09-07, 09:51   Link #110
Sefveron

While were swapping screenshots,

Is that dated 2025?
Old 2011-09-07, 09:58   Link #111
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Yes, its the message 15 years from the future.
Old 2011-09-07, 10:04   Link #112
Sefveron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I just watched that message back.

What's this odd shadow infront of Okabe?

Is that a hand?
By the way thanks alot for pointing this out!, Okabe could very well be deceiving himself indeed.

By the way anyone else recall how to save Chrono in Chrono Trigger?
Old 2011-09-07, 10:21   Link #113
Sefveron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Yes, its the message 15 years from the future.
OK if that message to turn on the tv was a D-Mail from 15 years in the future, then why is the date of the message with the movie file this?

screenshot from episode 1
Old 2011-09-07, 10:38   Link #114
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

As usual , *slap* saved the day
Old 2011-09-07, 10:41   Link #115
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefveron View Post
OK if that message to turn on the tv was a D-Mail from 15 years in the future, then why is the date of the message with the movie file this?

screenshot from episode 1
They messed it up. "受信日" means "Date received". So the one in episode 1 is correct as Okabe received that D-mail that day at that moment.

The cap for ep23 should probably read "送信日" which would be "Date sent" if they were intending to show that the mail came from the future, they probably recycled art but forgot to change the words.
Old 2011-09-07, 10:56   Link #116
Sefveron

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
They messed it up. "受信日" means "Date received". So the one in episode 1 is correct as Okabe received that D-mail that day at that moment.

The cap for ep23 should probably read "送信日" which would be "Date sent" if they were intending to show that the mail came from the future, they probably recycled art but forgot to change the words.
Thank you very much for your post! this actually goes exactly with my current thought process! if the date shown is for the date received, then it would mean that it would say the date the phone was set to right at that very moment right?, which means during the time that Okabe was in the past, the phone that mayushii was holding for okabe was swapped with the phone from future okabe which explains exactly why he could only watch the video after he failed to save Kurisu once
Old 2011-09-07, 11:04   Link #117
CatOfTime

It's kind of funny how they tell us the characters are supposed to be around 18 years old but they act nothing like 18-year-olds. Sure some moments are silly and would fit into their age category but overall Okarin and others are more like 25+ or so when it comes to matureness.

Maybe it's just that people like characters that are young but it just seems so odd for me everytime they tell they are so young and yet they invent time machines etc. (yeah... I can buy the time machine invention but 18-year-old person that acts like a 30-year-old is a no no... )

Still so hyped because of this episode! Woo! Will probably rewatch the whole episode. Already replayed the end scenes like 30 times already, this episode was that awesome.
Old 2011-09-07, 11:13   Link #118
j4c06

Some more questions:

How can this be that Kurisu in the Beta timeline thinks time travel is possible, and in the Alpha timeline she initially claims the opposite - when timeline forks into Alpha and Beta only on the day of the conference, when the first D-mail is sent.

By the way, please forgive my ignorance, but who did save Kurisu who is alive in the Alpha timeline? Was it SERN?
Old 2011-09-07, 11:14   Link #119
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Huzzah! They trimmed out the transition scenes (I just finished the visual novel true ending two days ago) and still managed to keep it moving at a good pace.

One more week!! It feels longer.....

I have a few questions, but the only spoiler-free one is:

Will they still use Another Heaven by Kanako Itou as the final credits song?
Old 2011-09-07, 12:06   Link #120
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Okabe took away all the wishes of his friends. He has had to entertain mental torment for weeks, something he'll live with for the rest of his life. The pain, the struggle, that doesn't go away.

It was not an easy struggle either.

So how can you honestly say that this is coming as cheap? I think his struggle is rendered meaningless if someone stayed dead in the end. It makes more literary sense for him to triumph.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but none of those people gave up anything they had before all the manipulation started. Ruka was already a boy, Feyris' father was already dead. Emotional anguish? Undeniable. I'm just wondering if in terms of cosmic justice, there doesn't need to be some sort of material cost.

Again, emotionally I'm rooting hard for a happy ending and I do think Okabe deserves it. I'm just conflicted on whether it makes sense from a poetic justice standpoint.
Closed Thread