AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-02-12, 09:01   Link #18801
Jimmy C

It's not faithful, it's being lazy.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 09:04   Link #18802
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

While somewhat endearing if written right, the only case where I see the use of Japanese in an english-written fic as being appropriate is if the setting allows it - like if the characters are native Japanese or so.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 09:07   Link #18803
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soljashy View Post
A practice which needs to die in my opinion, but that's irrelevant.
Of course, you do realize that means the death of Fate-chan as well, right? Better leave out the -chan from now on whenever you write a name.

In my opinion, it's not that bad. Personal preference, but sometimes a japanese terms conveys the character better then an English term. Like Signum's 'Ah' for example.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 09:09   Link #18804
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Soljashy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
While somewhat endearing if written right, the only case where I see the use of Japanese in an english-written fic as being appropriate is if the setting allows it - like if the characters are native Japanese or so.
I beg to differ. Japanese dialogue has no place in an English fic, unless the writer is proficient in Japanese (lest he embarrasses himself as so many such writers do) as well as his intended readers. Otherwise, what's the point aside from showing off his "elite" knowledge of the language? There's a reason you don't see professional writers doing this.

In the case of suffixes like "chan" and "kun", the line is a little more blurred, in my opinion, since these terms have no direct translation, and most of the intended readers are familiar with them anyway.
This user has been diagnosed with a very rare and dangerous mutation of type Al of the pandemic Kugimiya disease (Retroviridae Kooguencephalitisvirus Kugimijavirus). The source of his infection has been identified as a Kamyu bite. Please be sensitive to him.
Soljashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 09:19   Link #18805
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
It's not faithful, it's being lazy.
Either that or the translator is too deeply in love with the original hira/katagana form to change them. But personally, I agree with Jimmy.

Just in case anyone's interested, for most Chinese translations I've seen so far, Nanoha is usually rendered as 奈叶, Fate as 菲特 and Hayate as 疾风. The "-chan" honorific is either ignored or rendered as 酱, eg. Fate-chan -> 菲特酱.

To me, this is quite hilarious, since 酱 means sauce in Chinese =3. AFAIK, this usage is usually informal and are seldom, if not never, found on translations for official materials and most doujins.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 09:27   Link #18806
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Soljashy
Thanks for the scoop, Estavali. That's certainly very interesting.
This user has been diagnosed with a very rare and dangerous mutation of type Al of the pandemic Kugimiya disease (Retroviridae Kooguencephalitisvirus Kugimijavirus). The source of his infection has been identified as a Kamyu bite. Please be sensitive to him.
Soljashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 12:02   Link #18807
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

I'll just go back to staying away from fanfics.... I think all those mediocre ShizuNatsu ones killed me to the point where I don't want to finish reading the good ones I found. :<

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 05:53   Link #18808
Windragon

Please, can somebody post oficial art and sketches of Zafira? Specially his human form.
Thanks in advance!
Windragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 10:42   Link #18809
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windragon View Post
Please, can somebody post oficial art and sketches of Zafira? Specially his human form.
Thanks in advance!
Old 2009-02-13, 10:58   Link #18810
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't think that's what he asked when he said 'official' art, Rick.

In terms of sketches, I have this one:

Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 11:04   Link #18811
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I don't think that's what he asked when he said 'official' art, Rick.

In terms of sketches, I have this one:

I missed the "official" word
Old 2009-02-13, 12:05   Link #18812
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windragon View Post
Thanks in advance!
Keroko's pic is the best quality.But how about these.
JINNSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 13:21   Link #18813
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Hmm, there might be some more random Zafira in the scans, but I'm sure these two were missed....
← TUG IT, VITA, TUG IT!
Spoiler for NSFW-y:
-waits for the flood of NanoFate Valentine's Day pictures- >_o

Er, any passing-by translator interested in Nanoguru? A good chunk of them have already been done, but the first page has been completely missed and there's a page later on that has a piece missing as well. I haven't looked much into the ones where Signum appears and is completely jealous of Nanoguru, so I can't say too much. :B

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 14:51   Link #18814
BPHaru

Hi AnimeSuki,

Look at what I friend found, it's a cute short NanoFate doujin in Chinese:

-

Here is the full doujin:

Spoiler for Titleless doujin?:

May I /R/equest translation? If we made an English version, I would like to share this in our site with the rest of the people ^^

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
BPHaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 18:44   Link #18815
hoshiakari

^
the reason this is nameless was because the pages are inserts for a ss, in another words, japanese fanfiction.

Page one
F: nanoha, Vivio

page two
N: fate-chan
V: fate-mama
N: what's wrong? (standing there by yourself dazing

page three
N: mn, it fits you perfectly! Fate-chan
V: vivio also have one for Fate-mama
V: here!

page four
V: wah!
F: ........thank you
* stares-----
* ha ∑ (ºд º;; )
N: how sly, only to vivio?
F: sorry sorry
V: huh?
F: thank you.
F: .... i love you

page five
F: ah, actually i meant it was very well done
N: mn
V: really?
V: eheheh
N: oho-ho, change of topic huh
F: ....mn

============================
also, i know you got this off yamibo, but the thread host clearly said you can't use it outside of yamibo, since they actually spend their money to bought the doujin and scan it. now if you post this on your site, everyone will be getting it for free. i suppose it doesn't matter now, since it's already been posted.

Last edited by hoshiakari; 2009-02-13 at 18:54.
hoshiakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 19:13   Link #18816
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshiakari View Post
^
the reason this is nameless was because the pages are inserts for a ss, in another words, japanese fanfiction.
Nice, thanks a lot hoshiakari.
So this was a SS, and some pages were in comic format, right?

Quote:
also, i know you got this off yamibo, but the thread host clearly said you can't use it outside of yamibo,
this on your site, everyone will be getting it for free.
Actually, a friend of mine posted it in the Spanish Nanoha forums as I said in my previous post, in this thread. I asked her for the source but I haven't received a reply get, so I tried looking for it at Yamibo without any luck, but I may have missed it since my knowledge of Chinese is zero, I only found 2 new NanoFate doujins at the Japanese section, but not this one. We post our personal raws in that forum for free too, so I don't think there would be a problem if we translate theirs as they do with ours, but if they are specifically requesting to don't share the raws, I think we should try asking them first.

Thanks again for the translations and the information ^^

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
Old 2009-02-13, 19:39   Link #18817
hoshiakari

^
yes, you are correct. this was insert pictures for a fanfiction. as for the fanfiction itself, it has yet to be posted on yamibo.

as for the taking without asking... i really don't think is big of deal, i do know you post raws on yamibo too. there isn't any gaining or loosing here, but i feel doujins should be bought instead of sharing it for free, since the artist worked so hard for them. so really i feel bad for the artists themselves, not much of taking it without asking. so if you think it's ok of whatever you are doing, i'm not going to continue on, because it was what you decided. i guess good luck on editing them.
hoshiakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 20:14   Link #18818
BPHaru

Quote:
as for the taking without asking... i really don't think is big of deal, i do know you post raws on yamibo too. there isn't any gaining or loosing here, but i feel doujins should be bought instead of sharing it for free, since the artist worked so hard for them. so really i feel bad for the artists themselves, not much of taking it without asking. so if you think it's ok of whatever you are doing, i'm not going to continue on, because it was what you decided. i guess good luck on editing them.
Yes, I agree with you, but I think there is also a problem in the distribution of the original works, because even if people outside of Japan wanted to buy a selection of specific doujinshis from a certain Comiket; they wouldn't be able to do it in most cases (leaving far behind that people may want to read them but lack of any knowledge in Japanse).

I think the real problem should be the distribution of the original raws, that Japanese people download instead of buying the original.

Also, I wonder how many artists would feel bad because their work was translated to foreign languages, and how many will feel proud because there are 10.000 persons in occident enjoying of their work. I think this should be more a matter of how many of them work for money, and how many for hobby.

Cuidense y sigan sonriendo
Old 2009-02-13, 20:41   Link #18819
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Lets end this before it turns into an argument...

...So here is a picture of Fate

and also...
Spoiler for ...Vivio, Fate, and Fate with chocolate:
Old 2009-02-13, 22:08   Link #18820
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph42 View Post
Lets end this before it turns into an argument...

and also...
Spoiler for ...Vivio, Fate, and Fate with chocolate:
Syn would like that picture. Vivio in "Naughty Librarian" mode FTW!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
images, nanoha, nsfw