AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2013-08-23, 17:36   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Sword Art Online - Light Novels and Manga Licensed by Yen Press

As announced at Japan Expo and confirmed by ANN, Yen Press has licensed the Sword Art Online Light Novel series, along with the Aincrad and Fairy Dance manga series.

This thread can be used to discuss anything related to the licensed release, but for spoilers from the Japanese release please use the Light Novel Discussion thread.
Old 2013-08-23, 18:19   Link #2
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Wonder when we can expect a release for the LN. Do you think it's more likely that they'll translate this from scratch or use B-T's with their permission and several changes?
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 19:09   Link #3
Sasukeuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Wonder when we can expect a release for the LN. Do you think it's more likely that they'll translate this from scratch or use B-T's with their permission and several changes?
Well if they ask one of the translators or Tap to help with the work, that'd be fantastic. Also, they announced volume 1 for an early 2014 release, so maybe January-March.
Sasukeuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 22:11   Link #4
Utsuro no Hako

Unfortunately if they follow the release schedule they've used for Haruhi and Bungaku Shoujo, it'll be 2020 before we catch up to where Japan is now. If you're really interested in finding out what happens next, best pray for a season 2 or start learning moon runes.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 00:10   Link #5
chocolatemilkgod
The "Insane" Biochemist

[mod edit: removed discussion of fan translation]

From how tap worded it, it seems unlikely that he's been asked/will be asked to help with the translation. All in all, though, I'm quite happy since volumes 1 and 2 of the light novel are among my favourites and I'd love to add them to my ever-growing collection of guff high quality anime-related merchandise. Also I hope nothing is censored/omitted in the official localised version, but we'll see.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-08-27 at 21:55.
chocolatemilkgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 00:58   Link #6
majestix1988

OR maybe we could ask for current light novel Fan translation are still in the work
with removal system for those released volume[ V6 released = V6(Fan) removed ]on the net system...instead translation are going off then our hibernation would start.......

if they do it.......it Could affect fans of Sword Art Online Readers due waiting for the versions that where you are reading.....(for example if you are reading Vol.6 after that fan translation is now off due its Abandoned...then you are gonna wait for 3year released of that novel

it could lose more fans.......if that happens
Old 2013-08-24, 02:48   Link #7
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestix1988 View Post
OR maybe we could ask for current light novel Fan translation are still in the work
with removal system for those released volume[ V6 released = V6(Fan) removed ]on the net system...instead translation are going off then our hibernation would start.......

if they do it.......it Could affect fans of Sword Art Online Readers due waiting for the versions that where you are reading.....(for example if you are reading Vol.6 after that fan translation is now off due its Abandoned...then you are gonna wait for 3year released of that novel

it could lose more fans.......if that happens
It's going to be complete deletion, and yes, I am miffed that I have to lose 5 volumes of work...

But at the end of the day, I have to accept that this is the result of the story's popularity that makes this licensing possible, so I have to stand tall and take it head on.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 04:31   Link #8
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Unfortunately if they follow the release schedule they've used for Haruhi and Bungaku Shoujo, it'll be 2020 before we catch up to where Japan is now. If you're really interested in finding out what happens next, best pray for a season 2 or start learning moon runes.
Seriously?! That sucks!
I have no problem buying the books, but if they follow that sort release schedule then...dammit!

Well, I'm happy to see that the series has become this popular.
Old 2013-08-24, 09:58   Link #9
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Seriously?! That sucks!
I have no problem buying the books, but if they follow that sort release schedule then...dammit!

Well, I'm happy to see that the series has become this popular.
Same here. If they go with 3-4 books a year then I'd be okay with it. Though 3 seems to be a bit more likely to me since LNs aren't that big in NA for now, that is, if they decide not to release them at the same rate as Haruhi and Bungaku Shoujo.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 10:38   Link #10
User210120

Sorry but I feel the need to say something.
You guys forget that one of the reasons this series have had that level of disclosure outside of Japan was thanks to groups like this that discuss and provides translations for the general public.
In my opinion the Yen Press is taking advantage of what was created here!
User210120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 10:58   Link #11
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
It's going to be complete deletion, and yes, I am miffed that I have to lose 5 volumes of work...

But at the end of the day, I have to accept that this is the result of the story's popularity that makes this licensing possible, so I have to stand tall and take it head on.
That's one of the reasons why I decided to focus more on niche stuff, or stuff that are unlikely to be licensed. On a side note, Mahouka might follow the same fate if it gets animated and well-received. However, there's no doubt the availability of the work from you guys did contribute to higher awareness in the west which to some extent would have helped the SAO anime to be better received (my English looks weird and I can't seem to fix it, think I have a bit too much today).

One thing I do hope to see in licensed light novels is that the English publisher add more value to it; aside from better quality (though that itself is sometimes dubious), have small tidbits such as illustrated bookmarks, stickers, etc. etc. It will give leechers more incentive to buy them for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdsj00 View Post
You guys forget that one of the reasons this series have had that level of disclosure outside of Japan was thanks to groups like this that discuss and provides translations for the general public.
However, you must also understand that Kawahara doesn't receive royalties from fan-translations. While SAO is not in my top 10 list; maybe not even top 20 (because a lot of things in the story bugged me like crazy though I do acknowledge that it's overall good), I do like Kawahara a lot because he has a good attitude, and a very open mind, so I'm happy that he gets what he deserved.

While it can be mortifying that fan translators don't get recognition from being a possible factor that help the official work to succeed outside of Japan, it's a part and parcel thing that any kind of fan translator would have to accept. After all, it's all about spreading our 'love' to others (for most of us at least), and we should be pleased that the creator is getting monies for his stuff.

Last edited by larethian; 2013-08-24 at 11:15.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 11:05   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Same here. If they go with 3-4 books a year then I'd be okay with it. Though 3 seems to be a bit more likely to me since LNs aren't that big in NA for now, that is, if they decide not to release them at the same rate as Haruhi and Bungaku Shoujo.
Somehow even that seem very optimistic.

Maybe once a year.

Quote:
I hardly think that's the issue right now, regardless of how this community was build up things are going to have change.

lol @ taking advantage...

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-08-24 at 11:21.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 12:00   Link #13
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Honestly though, I wonder who is the one taking advantage here...and who has been taking advantage?

Anyway, all we can do is to await the new volumes. I doubt they would do any value-adding when there had been no instances of it in any of the other LNs they translated. I'm guessing however, since Bungaku Shoujo main series is ending in Jan 2014, that SAO will be the story taking over.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 15:07   Link #14
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Somehow even that seem very optimistic.

Maybe once a year.
Two per year is almost the minimum, pending odd delays. That's the schedule for Haruhi, at least. They know they can't just leave people wanting for extended periods without causing them to either go to other sources (re: they no longer get money) or they lose interest (again, they no longer get money). On the same token, they do not want to "flood the market" (I don't agree with this idea, but it's an idea a lot in the manga business have), so I doubt more than 3 per year, and even then that'd just be for SAO. Accel World almost definitely won't get 3 per year.

Quote:
And... what do you want them to do? Publish a thanks, and thus bringing awareness to the existence of fan translations? You really think the Japanese licensor is going to be cool with that? Or not publish them at all? While that may not matter for SAO, it would definitely suck for Accel World fans, since last I checked only 3 volumes were translated and the rest had sparse translations and summaries at best.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 19:14   Link #15
blackwhite67
Banned

As an avid fan of this series, I have very conflicting feelings about the recent licensing and imminent English release of SAO and Accel World. I am upset that the fan translations made with the blood, sweat, and tears of generous fans will be lost, except on my computer and various others. At the same time, I am happy that when I go to my local Barnes&Noble I will see these series on the shelf in English. Hell, maybe I'll even buy them.

I personally believe that these will be well received by English audiences. Previous licensed works such as Zaregoto, Shana, and Harui were too removed culturally for American audiences to understand. Twisted murder mysteries that read like something that Gen Urobichi spat out, supernatural fight mechanics with crazy names, and crazy school antics are concepts way too difficult for average Americans to wrap their heads around. As one who has read American novels, I believe that SAO and Accel World will be the perfect hook to bait American audiences to Japanese entertainment.

What's so hard about SAO, which is already airing on Adult Swim? Virtual world, you lose you die. No American wouldn't fall for that. Accel World is a a bit more eccentric, but I think it will do decently.

To tap and all you other translators, I'm guessing, as a useless leecher, that you must be somewhat upset about these two series being licensed. If you are, then know this. You're work was not in vain. I can still remember the day, Summer of 2010, I stumbled onto Baka-Tsuki, which wasn't as big as it is now and found SAO. I read the whole volume 1 right then and there. It was my first light novel. You guys gave us 12 volumes 4 years early. Thanks for everything.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 22:48   Link #16
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
At the same time, I am happy that when I go to my local Barnes&Noble I will see these series on the shelf in English. Hell, maybe I'll even buy them.
I'm more shocked that you still have a local Barnes & Noble than anything else.

Quote:
Twisted murder mysteries that read like something that Gen Urobichi spat out
Wait, what's this? You just piqued two of my interests (murder mysteries and Gen Urobuchi).

Quote:
What's so hard about SAO, which is already airing on Adult Swim? Virtual world, you lose you die. No American wouldn't fall for that. Accel World is a a bit more eccentric, but I think it will do decently.
I'd say, overall, Accel World is probably the one that would interest more people. The Aincrad stuff is amazing, but Fairy Dance is horrible. Not sure about the ones after that, but a second arc that bad can kill a series. Accel World at least keeps its general tempo and narrative throughout (as expected of a later work).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 01:37   Link #17
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Anyway, all we can do is to await the new volumes. I doubt they would do any value-adding when there had been no instances of it in any of the other LNs they translated. I'm guessing however, since Bungaku Shoujo main series is ending in Jan 2014, that SAO will be the story taking over.
If that's the case, I'm legitimately sad. I don't know many translators who are able to TL on the same level as professional translators from Yen Press. And I so want to eat- I mean, read side stories.

On the topic of SAO being licensed, it's pretty cool altogether. A bit more publicity, a big plus for some avid fans wanting to read the original but put off by translation of the first volume on BT (let's say honestly, it wasn't perfect in terms of readability) and some other things. Some fan translations from English will suffer, but it's a small price to pay for people's favorite franchise to be more widespread.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 01:45   Link #18
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

There's something else you might want to prepare yourself just in case- and that is the 'professional translators' might not use the same terminology that you all are familiar with.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 01:48   Link #19
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wait, what's this? You just piqued two of my interests (murder mysteries and Gen Urobuchi).
He's referring to Zaregoto by Nisioisin. Del Rey published two volumes before they got out of the whole manga and light novel business. Unfortunately it looks like the first book is out of print and going for insane prices on Amazon, though you can still get the second volume.

Now excuse me, I'm going to see if anyone is actually willing to pay $100 for a used-like-new copy.

Quote:
There's something else you might want to prepare yourself just in case- and that is the 'professional translators' might not use the same terminology that you all are familiar with.
But "Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime" is such a great title.

Seriously, though, aren't most of the specialized terms in SAO English to begin with?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 02:13   Link #20
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
It's not like it's Shana. Also, I liked Touko being called goblin instead of monster.
By the way, indeed, most of terms are in Engrish.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote