AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-25, 02:03   Link #1
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The Grudge

k ... who saw this sad excuse for a horror movie ...

I was hoping for around 2$ of the 9 I paid to get in ... and Sarah just laughed in my face with her awful acting.

Canceling out the cheap 'jump at you' scare, the plot(if you can call that a plot) without any plot twists, the ring ripoffs and Sarah's awful performance ... this movie could have been ok. Ohhh but wait if you cancel all that out there really isn't much left.

God bless modern graphics and thrilling previews ... without them I would never find a way to blow my ten bucks...

*your que to comment on it*
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 02:16   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That's a disappointing thing to read. I watched the original Japanese version of this (subtitled) and it scared me so bad that my couch turned brown. (figuratively speaking)

It's a little upsetting to think that they blanded out such a scary movie. Moral: Always watch the original and avoid remakes. (Except for Sabrina since the 1995 remake pwned the 1954 original.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 02:25   Link #3
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Welcome to America...where we must thrust the 'hot' actresses and dumb-down any scary movie...we must dumb down the scary movies because someone might sue.
Old 2004-10-25, 02:30   Link #4
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I should probably get my hands on the japanese version ...

It's strange though ... the director is the same.

They relied too much on a hollywood type of scary ... the story seemed like it was going somewhere, but nothing happend! Even the murder ... they tired so hard to make it seem special, but in the end you realize how common the scenario really is. You are also lead to believe that the boy is going to help her somehow, but in the end all the dialogue seems pointless because there is no closure. The movie ends with very little progression.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 02:32   Link #5
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

If you look at the current trends in the media industry, notably hollywood, they seem to be running low on ideas and as a result, are "borrowing" ideas from other countries. Current films such as Motorcycle Diaries, The Grudge, and even *ugh* Quentin Ternetino Presents: Hero, are, in my opinion, pretty desperate cries for help from hollywood.

And that whole thing about Brad Pitt re-doing Infernal Affairs? Puh-lease.

Its great that international cinema is having such an influence on hollywood, but it'd be nice to see credit given to where it is due, rather than having hollywood taking great movies.. and turning them into hollow portraits of what they once were.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 02:45   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
I should probably get my hands on the japanese version ...

It's strange though ... the director is the same.

They relied too much on a hollywood type of scary ... the story seemed like it was going somewhere, but nothing happend! Even the murder ... they tired so hard to make it seem special, but in the end you realize how common the scenario really is. You are also lead to believe that the boy is going to help her somehow, but in the end all the dialogue seems pointless because there is no closure. The movie ends with very little progression.
Don't expect the story to go somewhere in the Japanese version either. The movie wasn't about the story. The Japanese version was 90% mood and 10% making me care about the characters. From what you say about the remake it had neither mood nor characters you cared about. That doesn't really leave much of what made Ju-on so scary.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 02:55   Link #7
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
If you look at the current trends in the media industry, notably hollywood, they seem to be running low on ideas and as a result, are "borrowing" ideas from other countries. Current films such as Motorcycle Diaries, The Grudge, and even *ugh* Quentin Ternetino Presents: Hero, are, in my opinion, pretty desperate cries for help from hollywood.

And that whole thing about Brad Pitt re-doing Infernal Affairs? Puh-lease.

Its great that international cinema is having such an influence on hollywood, but it'd be nice to see credit given to where it is due, rather than having hollywood taking great movies.. and turning them into hollow portraits of what they once were.
A couple of your examples don't fit. Hero only had Tarantino's name to hook potential audiences. Other than Jet Lee, there isn't anyone that could garner a larger audience that Miramax wanted. Motorcycle Diaries is based on Che Guevara writings from the 50's. I wouldn't really put it in the same category as The Ring and The Grudge. How is Hollywood reworking foreign films a bad thing? Most people don't have access or any interest in another country films due to the language barrier. A reworked film could also open up a viewer eyes to another countries work and cause a person to seek out the original.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 03:29   Link #8
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
A couple of your examples don't fit. Hero only had Tarantino's name to hook potential audiences. Other than Jet Lee, there isn't anyone that could garner a larger audience that Miramax wanted.
I disagree. CTHD didn't have many household names, except for Chow Yun Fat, and it was an unprecedented success. I'd say that Jet Li is more recognizable to an American audience than Chow Yun Fat.

Quote:
Motorcycle Diaries is based on Che Guevara writings from the 50's. I wouldn't really put it in the same category as The Ring and The Grudge.
I'm not so much putting Motorcycle Diaries in the same category as The Ring, and The Grudge, but i'm pointing out that hollywood is looking towards other countries more and more for their inspiration. Its no coincidence that Motorcycle Diaries is getting so much hype.. afterall, Salles is responsible for another movie that was a hit in the states; City of God.

Quote:
How is Hollywood reworking foreign films a bad thing? Most people don't have access or any interest in another country films due to the language barrier. A reworked film could also open up a viewer eyes to another countries work and cause a person to seek out the original.
You're right, the concept of reworking foreign films for a western audience isn't really a bad thing. Afterall, its not like Hollywood is purposely TRYING to declass foreign cinema. However, what Hollywood doesn't seem to understand (or is turning a blind eye to) is that much of the original context of a movie is lost when the setting, characters, and language are changed. And yes, I am aware how tedious it is to subtitle movies from one language to another.. the process is mind numbing.

Using The Ring as an example.. the movie itself was pretty bad. Cheap jump-at-you-every-ten-minute surprises followed with some sort of cursed cassette. Not such a great movie. But, Ringu has since become a cult-classic.

Personally, i wasn't thrilled about The Grudge, until i heard it was a remake from a previous Japanese horror movie. Who knows, maybe it'll make another classic :P

However, most people will only become interested in the original version if the remade version entertained them to some extent. If the remade North-American version sucks beans up the wazoo, who would want to see the original version?
Such is the case with The Grudge.. by making a shody version of a scare-you-pantless-till-you-cry-for-mommy kind of film, they are actually defacing foreign cinema, and convincing eager movie-goers that the ideas behind foreign films are blase and predictable.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 10:18   Link #9
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Yeah Ju-on is the movie to watch if you have to choose between the two.
I also hate Sarah's bad acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It's a little upsetting to think that they blanded out such a scary movie. Moral: Always watch the original and avoid remakes. (Except for Sabrina since the 1995 remake pwned the 1954 original.)
Yeah right.. here goes NSW with his/her weird movie tastes
Lol I saw Sabrina at the premiere in Florida (this is pure odd) you know I like Harrison Ford ^^ Anyway remakes are usualy bad like you said but I saw some good ones. Mostly Japanese shows ^^
Old 2004-10-25, 10:41   Link #10
method

Well CTHD had a couple more names that helped. Ang Lee who had directed a couple well known movies. Michelle Yeoh who also had a following among a certain American audience. Probabaly the biggest name known to audiences was Yuen Wu Ping who was the stunt coordinator on the Matrix. Ok I see your point on Motorcycle Diaries. I don't really know if Hollywood is reaching more to other countries than in the past. We have more access to foreign movies than in the past due to the internet and allows us to see the original version.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 12:34   Link #11
guess

I like the American version of The Grudge much better than the Japanese version. The story of Japanese version is linear, so flat. The American version has different layers, layers upon layers. As for the “horror” part, the movie is about building the character and story plot. I don’t think it’s meant to be like Friday the 13th type.

I guess if you don’t like the American version, I doubt if you are going to like the Japanese version.
Old 2004-10-25, 13:22   Link #12
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Not to knock off Japanese movies in general. Heck I love Asian horror movies. I've seen Ringu, the Eye, Dark Waters, A tale of two sisters, even that stomach churning Odishon. Ju-On in my my opinion is the worst of the bunch. It's scary the first 6 or 7 jumpy moments but after that it gets so repetitive that it becomes tedious.

I dunno why but I went to see the remake anyway. I guess I just want to support the Japanese movie industry in a way. I actually thought it was better than the original although not that much better. But man, the audience in the theatre just couldn't shut up. Some people scream at the top of their lungs every five minutes while others laugh at the most inappropriate time. It ruins the experience. At the end of the night I just felt nothing. You know that lingering uneasy feeling whenever you've just seen a potently chilling horror movie. Nothing.

This movie critic said it best;
"Takashi Shimizu sets up a scary moment, and then repeats for 90 minutes."
- Jeffrey Chen

Last edited by Bullsquat; 2004-10-25 at 15:46.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 13:04   Link #13
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
i disliked "the grudge" but forgive me, i also disliked "ju-on."

when i saw the previews for "the grudge", i admit, i was excited to see it. and...luckily at my schools japanese student association, they were showing "ju-on" the night before "the grudge" came out on friday. after watching "ju-on" i wasnt impressed at all, but i was more excited about seeing "the grudge" because i thouht they were going to build on it and/or maybe embellish alittle bit. because i thought the american version of the "ring" was much better than the origional "ringu."

but i was wrong! i thought ju-on was weak, and worse, the grudge was weaker. but im glad i watched ju-on first.

i need something to restore my faith in japanese movies.
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 22:05   Link #14
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:32.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote