AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 03
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 49 22.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 39 17.65%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 52 23.53%
7 out of 10: Good... 46 20.81%
6 out of 10: Average... 18 8.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 6 2.71%
4 out of 10: Poor... 6 2.71%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-22, 10:07   Link #241
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Not gonna talk about the LN much, but yea, after reading this short short sidestory (like 8 pages)

The adaptation was fine. Any pacing issues or 'rushed' feeling is pretty much traced back to the source material.
That's not much of an excuse. You're supposed to take a few liberties to fix those issues. Besides, there are things that work in print that don't work in anime, and vice versa.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:08   Link #242
dmaxzero

The main problem is that the original vol 1 novel didnt include these side stories, hence why its so different between the first episode and those 2. They do happen in the chronology of Aincrad, but since the author tells those after the main volume as a Side Story, he doesnt assemble the events that connect every part, thats why some actions feel like not becoming of Kirito, because in the LN when you read those, you already know why. Problem is, the anime would have to make original content to fill those gaps and I personally think that would have been bad. In the end the episode and the series is not being friendly with the non-LN reader, but to me at least it does not feel bad in any way, agree is not perfect or really really good, but not bad. And I at least am enjoying it.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:14   Link #243
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maybe it would have better empowered Kirito to say "Nope, we shouldn't do that, it's too risky". "Well, if even Mr. High Level himself thinks that, then maybe we shouldn't take that risk".
This is where I really do blame Kirito. I feel that the guild elimination could have been avoided entirely if he had spoken up in the first place and told them that their idea of going to a level they weren't really prepared for was a very bad idea. Also, as a MMORPG player myself, you don't just rush into a mostly empty room with a treasure chest sitting in the middle of it. Well, now he'll have to live with that guilt.

Sachi was really a wrong choice to be a tank. She clearly didn't want to do it, even with reassurances from the guild leader that she would be fine. Death flags all over the place for her.

Sachi: I don't want to die.
Kirito: You won't die.
Endless Soul: Oh yeah, you're so dead.

Her Christmas message did pull on my heart strings quite a bit.

Endless "Nicolas the Renegade" Soul
Old 2012-07-22, 10:17   Link #244
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm not denying the fact that Kirito messed up here and there. But considering the circumstances I understand how it ended up that way.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:22   Link #245
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Spoiler for Ep3 sentiments:

And I'd just like to say this - there are PLENTY of shows that have had to be significantly compressed or only go partly along the way due to time and financial constraints. It's not something that goes down well but sometimes it does work. Okay, there's 9 novels worth of content to cover (not to mention side stories) but be realistic...if Fate/ Zero still didn't manage to avoiding compromises when trying to fit its length (about half of SAO) into an anime version, why would you even conceive that SAO could avoid it when it has double the material to cover in the same amount of time? The real question is how much do they plan to cover? 4 novels is plausible and roughly seems to be a good timepoint. Perhaps it will go longer with a future adaptation depending on fandom? Considering the confusing mode of story progression regardless of which version you follow, perhaps a bit of faith and seeing how things unfold would be worthwhile?

I don't consider the following spoilerish, so I don't think it's offensive. I will avoid revealing anything that will spoil the story, but for the sake of keeping the peace, I will use a spoiler tag, so people can choose whether they want to read it or not. I don't spoil any events, content or plot points. I'm only detailing when Episode 3 content happened and why it will seem rushing/confusing/out of place to people. There are reasons.

Spoiler for How Ep3 fits in:

One simple fact you have to get used to regardless what version of SAO you try first is that time skips happen. So if you want to continue, get used to the fact. If you can't handle some events being changed with their order to try and create a more linear progression in the anime, then stick to the novel. I don't see what the big deal is. I'm enjoying reading the light novels but the time skipping and non-linear storytelling method provides a challenge that requires a lot more focus and patience to appreciate. This method is not going to appeal to everyone, nor will the way things happen in the anime. And that is up to you and your right to choose. Ultimately people will decide with their wallets as to whether A-1 Pictures made the right choice or not.

My two cents - I don't mind seeing that part of Kirito's journey being put forth at this point. If events are tied together and will allow the viewer to understand the chronological order - but not at the expense of some of the good matieral within the relevant novels - then I will approve of this adaptation. Episode 3 is too early to call this as a botched adaptation. Let's just see how they go. I just hope they aren't operating on the assumption most viewers will have read the novels in full. I'd like to see them cater to newer people enough to find their way. Personally, I wasn't expecting a rundown of how they got through every floor - doing that for 100 floors in 25 episodes? That was never going to happen. And MMO grinding isn't entertaining. Take it from someone who has played MMOs for 7 years. End game/climactic sections are where it is more fun. Why wouldn't it be any different here?

As for Episode 3 itself:

Spoiler for Episode 3 discussion:

Is Kirito being colder/less emotional than the average person that bad? I don't think so - one of my reasons for continuing with this title was because Kirito was more rational/silent than emotional. MMO players aren't generally excitement machines or drama junkies. Drama tends to break up guilds/friendships, so seeing Kirito the way he is fits in with what I would expect in such a setting. I really don't get the issues people have with him. Frankly, in various media, I'm getting rather tried of seeing melodrama or overly emotional lead characters. I like Kirito. He is believable and I will continue to watch him.

I can understand why some people have issues with Episode 3. But frankly, I think this is being blown out of proportion. And really, if you have issues with how this is playing out in the anime, please don't ruin the experience for others who are taking SAO on board from only the anime perspective. It's their right to experience it that way. The least you could do is let them do so. There is legitimate reason for the hype. But the problem with hype is that it gives you unrealistic expectations. Pull yourself back from the hype and just take the title for what it is. And if you prefer the light novel, that's a legitimate stance and fine by me.

But yeah, this show is going to cause havoc for its entire airing. Have fun keeping it under control, mods. I don't envy your task in doing so.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2012-07-22 at 10:37.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:36   Link #246
Sixth
Hu Tao

Wow...Kirito just solo'ed an event boss. How could this even possible?

Also, how the hell Klein and his friends manage to fend off other guild with 0 casualties?

There was one part I don't get it. Why is Klein said something like " that's bugging you huh"? What does he mean about that?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:40   Link #247
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's not much of an excuse. You're supposed to take a few liberties to fix those issues. Besides, there are things that work in print that don't work in anime, and vice versa.
That's just on what some people are commenting on. I noticed no particular pacing issues worth mentioning. In fact most of the complaints from LN readers are about them cutting stuff that works in print, but doesn't in anime. Meaning the anime made the correct choice in their directing decisions so far.

IMO, I feel the 'pacing' complaint is the most overused line here on talking about anime episodes. Not even this one, 90% of every anime episode on here, many mention pacing issues. I chalk it up as static nowadays on forum threads since its seems to be a line people throw around because it sounds like standard critique lines people should be saying. Like a circle group in some college writing class, where 8/10 say the same generic critique on something without really expanding on it, for the sake of participation points.

But that's another story lol.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:47   Link #248
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

I myself wouldn't have minded a few flashbacks in this episode. Just to perhaps explain how Kirito saved the guild members at the start, or to show us where Asuna went or what she was doing.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:52   Link #249
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'm anime only watcher, and I watched a few minutes of episode 3 and then had to stop.

I mean, no follow up to the previous episode, I'm thrown into a bunch of new characters who I could already guess were going to come to some terrible end. This whole show has disaster written on it as a mash of disconnected rushed stories that don't characterize the players outside of the single main protagonist. Plot has devoured the characterization, but without even providing a consistent plot flow to compensate. It has made this show painful to watch.

I'm debating now whether to just drop the show or not.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:55   Link #250
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post

Also, how the hell Klein and his friends manage to fend off other guild with 0 casualties?

There was one part I don't get it. Why is Klein said something like " that's bugging you huh"? What does he mean about that?
I think that scene was AFTER the Black Cats already died.

Now that I think about it probably pays off to look at the dates shown onscreen for this particular episode.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:05   Link #251
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

not a really good episode I guess....
well not about the story in this episode itself though... the story is a necessary for Kirito to grow even more... just the arrangement of the story is not really good...
Suddenly showing many new characters at the beginning...
it will be better if this episode is make into later at the future while he remembering...
and next jump again into another side story.... So I guess vol 2 will be in the story first except for one chapter and then the main story will then finally begin, huh...

Quote:

I guess about Kirito leaving Klein by himself at the beginning...
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:06   Link #252
Utsuro no Hako

The problem with the time skips could've been fixed simply by using a framing story. Begin the episode with Kirito getting the info from Argo, going into the woods up until the point where he pulls his sword on Klein. Then flash back to the Black Cats and show the happy part of their story until Kirito promises Sachi she won't die. Cut back to the present with the Holy Dragon Alliance showing up and Kirito going off to face Nicholas the Apostate. As he makes his seemingly suicidal charge, cut back to the story of how the Black Cats met their end, then return to the present for the last part of the story.

Quote:
He's just that awesome. If he had five more charisma points, he'd be the hero of the story instead of Kirito.

Quote:
Kirito still feels bad about abandoning Klein in the Starting City even though Klein's willing to put it aside. It doesn't help that Fuurinkazan has become a super awesome frontline guild, proving that Kirito could've joined them without slowing his own progression in the game that much.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:06   Link #253
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Don't understand too much about copyright law, but wouldn't this fall under the Fair use act?
No. It's not meant for educational use.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:08   Link #254
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

Quote:

...kirito was lvl 70 by then...so i guess he was considered OP to solo...
...btw is there a lvl cap? ...or we looking at disgaea lvls?
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:11   Link #255
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To answer your question, let me draw a comparison between the first three episodes of Sword Art Online, and the first thee episodes of another famous anime called Madoka Magica.

Spoiler for Major Madoka Magica spoilers for comparison purposes:
Spoilers
Spoiler for Madoka Magic and SAO comparison
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Long story short, I really think it would have been better if this episode had been spread out over two.

Imagine if this episode had ended on a relatively happy, upbeat note, and then you were hit with a ton of bricks as the guild was decimated in the first half of Episode 4.

It also doesn't help that we already had named character death in Episode 2. People can get accustomed to named character death if it happens frequently. It starts to yield diminishing returns, emotionally.
In terms of emotional impact, yes, it definitely would have. No argument there. The problem is that, as I've pointed out a few times before, there just isn't enough material to make it span 2 whole episodes. The studio could've created some filler scenes to make up for the lack of material, but fillers usually do more harm than they do good. In my experience, anyway.

Ahh, that's right; I had completely forgotten Diabel bit the dust back in episode 2. And yes, that's very true.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to how easily each person gets attached to characters; one episode is enough for some, and it isn't for others.

Quote:
Clannad made me cry a few times, and I certainly don't mind saying that. But Clannad did that, in part, because I was given a chance to get attached to its characters before anything all that bad happened to them.
Mhm. That's the formula for tragedy; get the viewers successfully attached to a certain before letting something horrendous befall them.

Quote:
Who's to say the event boss is so much more powerful than the other bosses? Plus, it's more than likely that Kirito's level was much higher than the Nicholas'.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:12   Link #256
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I mean, no follow up to the previous episode
Kirito is a loner and there was a time skip. Furthermore, no real deviation from source material here. What exactly did you want to see - months of Kirito soloing content? If you were looking for Asuna content, there is a reason there wasn't Asuna content here and is a major plot point.

Quote:
I'm thrown into a bunch of new characters who I could already guess were going to come to some terrible end.
There were devices for character development...

Quote:
This whole show has disaster written on it as a mash of disconnected rushed stories that don't characterize the players outside of the single main protagonist.
...Why...because they all went away for one episode? If you watch a little longer, you will see that this is anything but the case.

Quote:
Plot has devoured the characterization, but without even providing a consistent plot flow to compensate. It has made this show painful to watch.
Non-linear source material tends to do that, so that's a plausible reaction, considering linear mode adaptation.

Quote:
I'm debating now whether to just drop the show or not.
If you would kindly have the patience to see what happens the next time Kirito and Asuna cross paths, you might be surprised. I can understand why you're frustrated, but I can't provide you with an explanation that isn't spoilerish. I can only tell you that things do get explained rather soon and that there is an elaborate plot in the works which also mixes in character development for several characters.

I can't help but feel plenty of reactions like Sackett's are imminent for A-1 going for a linear storyline versus Kawahara's method of storytelling.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:26   Link #257
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i don't even care if the new characters had no introduction. it was still sad that Kirito had temporarily found a group he could enjoy himself with, and it was all torn away from him. plus the message at the end...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:31   Link #258
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post

i don't even care if the new characters had no introduction. it was still sad that Kirito had temporarily found a group he could enjoy himself with, and it was all torn away from him. plus the message at the end...
At least someone got the point. Free tissue for you.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:01   Link #259
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Kirito still feels bad about abandoning Klein in the Starting City even though Klein's willing to put it aside. It doesn't help that Fuurinkazan has become a super awesome frontline guild, proving that Kirito could've joined them without slowing his own progression in the game that much.
Make that Super awesome guild where nobody dies in.
And are full of Samurai.
Honestly they looked like they jumped out from Sengoku Basara.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 12:04   Link #260
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
Make that Super awesome guild where nobody dies in.
And are full of Samurai.
Honestly they looked like they jumped out from Sengoku Basara.
Must be how they survive. They all pull those outrageuous skills causing massive explosions and such.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote