AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-24, 06:01   Link #1141
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
but let's face it, he's still best known to the very casual non-seiyuu aware fan as Kyon
Don't agree with that for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The manga didn't adapt this volume though.
I'm sure orion meant for the whole series.
Old 2008-11-24, 07:41   Link #1142
yozaku
Always Idle

My thoughts on eps 8

baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index... baka index...
Old 2008-11-24, 09:11   Link #1143
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The manga didn't adapt this volume though.
For some reason I think after the manga is done with Vol 3 it will go on to adapt Vol 2...
Old 2008-11-24, 10:11   Link #1144
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
For some reason I think after the manga is done with Vol 3 it will go on to adapt Vol 2...
I've thought of that as well, but I don't know if there would be any problems with the general storyline to switch Vol 2 and 3's position.
Old 2008-11-24, 10:29   Link #1145
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Don't agree with that for a second.
Nonsense. That's just you.
Old 2008-11-24, 10:40   Link #1146
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Theres nothing like using your partner cannon fodder while you escape. That was just so wrong yet funny i cant blame Touma for landing that punch at the end i think i would have done the same thing. The story has taken an interesting turn and has actually picked up my interest again. I was wavering for a while but im starting to enjoy the episodes more now.
Old 2008-11-24, 12:36   Link #1147
MagicaLideaL
Madder Sky~
*Graphic Designer

Why did the so call 3333 monks skill is used there and Izzard recovers it? Is it just to show Izzard real power?
Old 2008-11-24, 13:30   Link #1148
Kouvley

Hmm...I'm still finding this show disappointing.

More vague explainations about things that may or may not turn out to be lies later on. So far this show has been rife with lies and contradictions.

In ep8 alone we had

- People on "the other side of the coin" can't see us
nope, the students in the cafeteria can

- Espers in academy city cannot use magic
nope, students in the cafeteria again

- Gregorio's choir needs a large amount of people for it to work, 3333 for the true version to be exact
nope, 7 guys can do it and it's the true version apparently

And off the top of my head, in previous eps we had

- Stiyl and Kaori are the bad guys out to harm Index
nope, they are Index's friends

- Index will die if her memories aren't wiped
nope, the church lied

- Index cannot use the magic stored in her brain
nope, in her automated defense mode she can

- The legendary Dragon's Breath White Feathers of Doom! Touch one and die!
nope, only causes amnesia even after a head shot

Speaking of Touma's amnesia, that's another thing that's been bothering me. I don't feel like we actually know Touma well enough for the amnesia to make a difference to his character at all, to me he is the same cookie cutter shounen protagonist as he was before except now he occasionally thinks "oh no I've lost my memories!" as if to remind us of that fact.

Back to ep 8, how does Index know Touma well enough to know for certain what he might or might not say in any given situation? They've only known each other for a few weeks at most right? And to be so bothered by it to go out and look for him? The answer is she probably shouldn't know but she has to end up in the clutches of the bad guys somehow! This is just poor writing IMO.

Wow it sounds like maybe I should drop this show
I probably will which is a shame because I was impressed by the first episode, I think I might have set my expectations too high because of it - like getting lured by the aroma of a plate of food with all the ingredients to be delicious and expecting it to be, only to find it was cooked by an amatuer upon actually eating it. Oh well, I hope the people who are enjoying this show continue to do so.
Old 2008-11-24, 13:38   Link #1149
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I've thought of that as well, but I don't know if there would be any problems with the general storyline to switch Vol 2 and 3's position.
Maybe they chose to reverse volumes 2 and 3 hoping that readers will forget about volume 1's mention of espers not being able to use magic.
Old 2008-11-24, 13:58   Link #1150
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouvley View Post
- People on "the other side of the coin" can't see us
nope, the students in the cafeteria can

- Espers in academy city cannot use magic
nope, students in the cafeteria again
Technically, those students were being control by Izzard so thus:

a) He was using them as his mind control watchmen and the magic they were using was probably an alarm to activated the spell to attack Touma & Styil.

or

b) In the 6th episode, Aleister allows Magnus to 'borrow' Touma since he was a Level 0, technically a normal human who's neither psychic nor magician. Those Cafeteria students were probably level 0's who still haven't got esper powers and Izzard just brainwash them to use magic and be his guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouvley View Post
Gregorio's choir needs a large amount of people for it to work, 3333 for the true version to be exact
nope, 7 guys can do it and it's the true version apparently
Actually, Gregorio's choir was actually done by 3333 monks at the Vatican and the knights were just helping being spotters to aim and increase the fire power of the spell.
Old 2008-11-24, 14:13   Link #1151
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
a) He was using them as his mind control watchmen and the magic they were using was probably an alarm to activated the spell to attack Touma & Styil.
There was a system set on them to flip to the other side of the coin when they spotted intruders. And attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
b) In the 6th episode, Aleister allows Magnus to 'borrow' Touma since he was a Level 0, technically a normal human who's neither psychic nor magician. Those Cafeteria students were probably level 0's who still haven't got esper powers and Izzard just brainwash them to use magic and be his guards.
Regardless! Even level 0s have taken power development, thus! According to a previous episode, means they cannot use magic.
Or... it should have been...

@Kouvley

There aren't too many contridictions, but plot devices are many...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-11-24, 14:50   Link #1152
Kouvley

I'm sure there can be plausible explainations to most of my points but I guess my main point is, with the frequency it's been happening(lies, contradictions, plot devices etc), it's hard for me not to react with a "ORLY?" the next time someone "explains" something.
Old 2008-11-24, 17:02   Link #1153
SkoolRumble4Ya

Touma uppercut is a win. It looks like Izzard is one strong bastard that could even reverse the buildings that was being destroyed. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 2008-11-24, 18:06   Link #1154
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

@Kouvley

I believe I read before in a blog that- Oh wait, let me copy-pasta:

Quote:

“Complication” and “consistency” are part of the reason why there is so much explanation in Magical Index. Kamachi, the author, likes to play with perceptions, and ends up having to explain away the audience’s original false impressions. For example, Stiyl looked like Index’s enemy in Episode 2, but it turned out he was her friend. So there had to be an explanation of why Index would be running from Stiyl and Kaori as though they were enemies. Index had lost her memories, Stiyl and Kaori periodically erased them, and had given up on being friendly to her because they were frustrated at her forgetting their friendship with each erasure.

That had to be explained. But the explanation didn’t stop there, because there had to be a reason why they were erasing her memories. And then after that, the reason turned out to be a lie and that had to be explained away as well. And so on.

Maaahh~ The original contents of the message was for the people who whines about explaination, but the point is still clear.
Old 2008-11-24, 18:23   Link #1155
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
@Kouvley

Maaahh~ The original contents of the message was for the people who whines about explaination, but the point is still clear.
Interesting. Well, putting overloaded amounts of explanations aside, it doesn't mean anything about plot devices and contradictions, which was something Kouvley was talking about.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-11-24, 18:28   Link #1156
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

That's fine too Lies makes everything interesting, you shouldn't buy what every/anyone says on face value, People are just people and they're capable of being lied to and lie themselves.

Well, not so much for you if/since you know all the answers already
Old 2008-11-24, 18:41   Link #1157
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
@Kouvley

Sorry... Had a bit more on this.
I assume the person writing the blog is talking about the novel...
Yes, those things needed to be explained. Of course, after all. But that is not what bogs down the novels. It's the information required to even understand a centimeter of the plot. Explanation is okay, but when you get pages and pages of it, plus information that is unnecessary and sounds like it came from wikipedia, that's when we have a problem.

Quote:
That's fine too Lies makes everything interesting, you shouldn't buy what every/anyone says on face value, People are just people and they're capable of being lied to and lie themselves.

Well, not so much for you if/since you know all the answers already
Unfortunately, that is what people might call bad/boring writing, when you can't keep to what you write and act too freely and contradict your own words. Well, you definitely won't win any awards at a writing contest if your story doesn't make sense, no matter how "interesting" it is.

Old 2008-11-24, 20:38   Link #1158
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It's not so much a matter of making sense or not, it's that the plot is overly convoluted. When you pretty much set every little plot point or explanation up to be contradicted down the road with a plot twist revelation, it ceases to be surprising after it's done often enough. We begin to expect the plot twists, so we aren't terribly surprised when they happen.

Mind you, I do find this show much more tolerable now that Touma has a brain and isn't so hot-headed. Funny that: lose memories, gain brain. And some of the music in this show is pretty good. Yeah...

Index walking into a trainwreck in the most recent ep to set up a cliffhanger is a pretty blatant plot device, but I'll live with it.
Old 2008-11-24, 20:57   Link #1159
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
With regards to using magic while you are an Esper, from novel volume four, while you can still use magic, however it becomes self damaging while you are doing so. Which is the case here in this ep.
Old 2008-11-24, 21:00   Link #1160
ellifeedn
Thinker

Despite the self-contradicting story, how are the ratings?
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen