081 - 090: Great 66 20.43%
071 - 080: Very Good 46 14.24%
061 - 070: Good 50 15.48%
051 - 060: Average 24 7.43%
041 - 050: Below Average 17 5.26%
031 - 040: Bad 6 1.86%
021 - 030: Very Bad 4 1.24%
011 - 020: Awful 10 3.10%
001 - 010: You would rather watch Britney Spears exposing her crotch. *shudder* 22 6.81%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-20, 21:08   Link #981
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
My problem is, I remember how much of a cosmic sized TOOL and DOUCHE he was from season 2. I was on my knees begging for him to just fuck off and die, but he didn't.

I didn't exactly get my wish for the movie, but...I'll take it.
I think he had his redemption which is why I sort of hated him before and liked him the best. I also think among all the characters that had the misunderstanding issue in TAB, Andrei's is probably the strongest relevant one and his crying scene was the saddest to me. (Billy's and Sumeragi meant absolutely nothing to me, didn't think it was a good example as Andrei and his father)

Last edited by SonicSP; 2011-02-21 at 00:42.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 22:45   Link #982
yurifanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
I think the epilogue was well done and is well needed but I think a lot of people may be a bit disillusioned with the lack of elaboration for what happened to the main characters post movie. Well, except Setsuna and Marina that is. So I think the main complaint maybe in regards to the main cast rather than the epilogue, of course the epilogue was well needed and played it's role well IMO.

Of course, I do think the ending wasn;t executed in the best way, just felt like it ended so abruptly. I don't have much problem with the lack of elaboration of the main cast like some people may have but I wish it didn't just switched to the credits so abruptly with a random giant flower to boot. I can't exactly explain it but I don't aprove of the way the scenes were executed in the last few minutes although I liked Setsuna scenes before he Transitioned, it just feels like everything after that abruptly ended and I just did not like the way they chose to execute it this way for some reason.

It's not a movie breaker of course and the awesome epilogue vastly makes up for it still, it's slightly sour IMO.
Maybe they ran out of money animating all those action scenes! As much as I hated Andrei, his death scene with that song was pretty awesome.
yurifanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 02:08   Link #983
Serp
Moving along....

I hate to bring it back up but I loved this movie and I can't really understand why people let the flower get in the way of enjoying it. The music to this movie has surpassed a lot of any OST's that I've heard. The animation wasn't the best but it was good. I came out liking every character in that show after this movie. The people that went out did it in style nevermind the brevity. I think the movie was a condensed version of what it could have been but I loved it for what it was. It was not just another UC clone.

I don't know what Gundam could follow up such a bold series but it'll be a while before I can get impressed. Turn A and 00 are the stand out's of the franchise.

This song just won't get out of my head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLwk...eature=related
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 02:21   Link #984
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

The flower doesn't prevent me from enjoying the movie at all, it's just big minor thing that I really dislike a lot. Relative to the whole movie, it is like a small dot in a movie that is mostly good IMO and it's almost a non factor in my overall score of it. I just cannot emphasize how much I dislike the thing, that's all but it doesn't affect my opinion of the movie or how I enjoyed it, well maybe a tiny bit of a minus, I won't be lying if I said that I'd rather it not be there though but as I said it's a really minor factor overall. I haven't seen anyone have a big problem with the flower alone either, if they don't like the movie anyways, the flower won't be a main factor on why they dislike the movie and if they liked the movie and dislike the flower, the flower would be a relatively minor minus issue. Essentially, the flower is not a make or break factor, it's just.............there.
Old 2011-02-21, 10:32   Link #985
Clegger

Quote:
I think he had his redemption which is why I sort of hated him before and liked him the best. I also think among all the characters that had the misunderstanding issue in TAB, Andrei's is probably the strongest relevant one and his crying scene was the saddest to me. (Billy's and Sumeragi meant absolutely nothing to me, didn't think it was a good example as Andrei and his father)
I agree with you here, both of them wanted the exact same thing but Sergei didn't know how to fix it and Andrei thought it was something his father didn't want. Certainly plays into the whole understanding each other and things like this are avoided message.

As for Andrei, I don't think he was that bad of a guy in S2. I won't deny that he was a tool and was certainly naive but outside of his Sergei problems he seemed to be a decent guy to me. And even in regards to Sergei, he had a perfectly good reason to feel the way he did about him. Sergei admitted he wasn't much of a father and appeared to have abandoned Andrei from an emotional level after Holly's death, so it's easy to see how he could take that as Sergei not caring.
Clegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 12:41   Link #986
yurifanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
I hate to bring it back up but I loved this movie and I can't really understand why people let the flower get in the way of enjoying it. The music to this movie has surpassed a lot of any OST's that I've heard. The animation wasn't the best but it was good. I came out liking every character in that show after this movie. The people that went out did it in style nevermind the brevity. I think the movie was a condensed version of what it could have been but I loved it for what it was. It was not just another UC clone.

I don't know what Gundam could follow up such a bold series but it'll be a while before I can get impressed. Turn A and 00 are the stand out's of the franchise.

This song just won't get out of my head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLwk...eature=related
I liked the whole flower thing considering that the ELS were shapeshifters. It is the brevity of the epilogue after the flower scene that i hated.
yurifanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 14:12   Link #987
Flame-X
Anti-fan

The whole flower thing was prevalent ever since the very first OP of the TV series. To back this up even more, watch ep 21 of season 1 and 22 of season 2. I know there's more that's all I'm gonna bring up for now. Because Setsuna views this flower as a symbol of peace, the ELS shape shift into that to end the battle after merging with his thoughts. I don't know how some people did not see this coming.
Even after reading the spoilers before the movie came out on dvd/bluray, it made sense to me.
Old 2011-02-22, 20:27   Link #988
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame-X View Post
The whole flower thing was prevalent ever since the very first OP of the TV series. To back this up even more, watch ep 21 of season 1 and 22 of season 2. I know there's more that's all I'm gonna bring up for now. Because Setsuna views this flower as a symbol of peace, the ELS shape shift into that to end the battle after merging with his thoughts. I don't know how some people did not see this coming.
Even after reading the spoilers before the movie came out on dvd/bluray, it made sense to me.
It's just the whole "OMG A GIANT FLOWER IN SPACE?! HOW FAGGY!!!" mentality people are having.

In fact, that seems to be all I hear about the flower from naysayers. They think it's gayer than Boy George.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 20:39   Link #989
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame-X View Post
The flower thing makes sense to me as well and the symbolism has been there since the beginning and I was still able to make the connection immediately after I saw it.

I just did not like the whole randomness and suddenness of it's appearence, and the weird design did not help either so I still dislike it a lot even now.
Old 2011-02-23, 00:26   Link #990
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Nice seeing you here SonicSP.

It's alright if anyone doesn't like it. I'm just trying to have people understand the significance.
Old 2011-02-23, 04:37   Link #991
fizzmaister
The Tall One

And yeah, speaking of the giant flower, I enjoyed it because in addition to understanding what happened, I have been following the symbolism of the flower throughout the course of the show. Also, I tried making an abridged series of 00 and the flower would have become a running gag/character. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I only got one episode out before I gave up.
Old 2011-03-02, 01:15   Link #992
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
To help protect the Drives from being replicated. Not having the Drives technology being copied was an important priority according to the MG Exia manual, which was one of the reasons so little of them was made. (as well as them being hard to make of course)

I think the HD screenshots shows they're still there.

As for Celestial Being killing their own scientists out of place, it isn't really. The groups operate on end justifying the means basis over the years. They've caused an energy crisis (as to increase the promotion of Aeolia's SES) in the past as well as to help ensure the creation of the blocs, they've kidnapped scientists, etcetc.

The Ptolemaios faction seem to be the exception to this rather than being the rule. They were made out of people who wanted to change things for the better but they have their own limits to the extent their willing to go, and they're mostly unware of a lot of the things their larger organization has done over the years since it's always on a need to know basis. Even the Observers were mostly unhappy with the method that the Ptolemaios faction has been conducting their interventions(which kinda shows what moral grounds they stand on), due to their perceived incompetence as well as their effect of not terrorizing the world as much as they should have. That's why they were so willing to approve of the Trinities when Alejandro presented them, they didn't like the current members of the Ptolemaios faction.

Even during the 0 Gundam's test run like 6 years prior to S1, Ribbons was under orders to kill all witnessess that saw the 0 Gundam but he disobeyed the order and spared Setsuna on a whim, because he saw Setsuna looked up at him "like a God", and this was the inspiration for him to start his deviation from the Plan as well as to choose Setsuna as a Gundam Meister later. (it's because of Ribbons forcing the position onto Setsuna was why Tieria was so suspicious of him because he saw that they were some altered data on the Exia Meister seat and the position was locked from the start. The other two human Meisters was chosen by scout "closet" Innovade named Grave)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
The energy crisis had been the issue since Aeolia's time. You can't pin it to Celestial Being to be responsible for that. The one I remember they did was advocating the solar power and preventing the world to use the nuclear power.

EDIT: Oh yeah, SonicSP, I found that 90% no conflict source: http://ninteenpointzerofour.wordpres...-mechanic-dx7/

It was from Great Mechanics DX7. It talks about S2, so I think UN/ESF have some share of the results.
I was looking through my Gundam 00 text data files and I found where I got the (CB incited energy crisis) info from. It came from the 00 World Report book summary that someone translated. I don't remember where I got it from except that I just copy pasted it from a forum where someone just copy pasted the translation from somewhere else (mechatalk I suspect, those are impossible to backtrack) before the days I became a regular forumer so to speak. I can give you the .txt file if you want, contains the translation and the original japanese characters. I don't know where the summary came from, but I'm suspecting kouryakukan perhaps if not some other random Japanese blog.

Specifically though, it mentions that Veda incited the energy crisis rather than Celestial Being but I guess that sort of falls under the "The Plan" macro group so to speak I guess.
Old 2011-03-02, 08:25   Link #993
kakakka

Would greatly appreciate it
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 02:53   Link #994
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

It also mentioned that the period without energy lasted a long time, so the world must have suffered a lot during this time. Maybe this relates to the economic crisis the Union president was referring to early in the series? I mean the blocs did spend half a century planning and building the SES, and a lot of resources had to be put into it before it regenerated a single cent worth of energy. I imagine investing in a large energy source without immediet reutns while suffering an energy crsis must have hurt badly. And as an economist myself, it does appear like an energy crisis would be bad for the economy as well as everything else in life pretty much. Hell, it may even explain why the population in 2314 is so low given the current real life of growth in the last half century (six billion in 300 years from now would be a pretty low projection). A large energy crisis would definitely incite that plus possibly a natural sociological change due to modernization.

It also mentioned large part of the de-nuclearisation movement was due to one single Middle Eastern nuclear accident. Given Aeolia's persistance that nuclear cannot be developed at all costs as mentioned in the book plus it mentioning that Veda incited an energy crsis, I wonder if it means that Veda was somehow involved in initiating the ME Nuclear incident? The book doesn't directly say it, but sure is suspicious and I certainly wouldn't put it above Celestial Being's more "for the greater good" moral, since their morals appear be much more "at whatever cost" (especially given the scientists kidnappings and the Drive Crew massacre) than the future Ptolemaios Faction which appear to be far far more moderate. I'm quite certain Veda took advantage of it though whatever the case, regardless or not it directly caused it.

On a more trivial notes, the World Report book one of the original concepts of the series was a "fighter gundams versus space monster" kind of thing. Well, that explains how the ELS got there eventually. There's your Macross reference folks. This was a an S1 sourcebook, so it's interesting to see the context now, after both S2 and the movie are finished.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2011-03-03 at 03:17.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 11:00   Link #995
velocity7

I'm pretty sure Veda took some nasty steps although necessary, which included inciting the energy crisis and causing the nuclear "accident" which happened in the Middle East. Though knowing Veda, it will probably hide this sort of information from everyone for eternity, so no one will ever know that Celestial Being inadvertently caused a lot of mayhem there, even if the "ends justify the means" in this scenario.

That said, I wouldn't have a clear conscience if I were the one who allowed that sort of thing to happen in the first place.
Old 2011-03-03, 14:53   Link #996
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
I'm pretty sure Veda took some nasty steps although necessary, which included inciting the energy crisis and causing the nuclear "accident" which happened in the Middle East. Though knowing Veda, it will probably hide this sort of information from everyone for eternity, so no one will ever know that Celestial Being inadvertently caused a lot of mayhem there, even if the "ends justify the means" in this scenario.

That said, I wouldn't have a clear conscience if I were the one who allowed that sort of thing to happen in the first place.
I think the ESF may know to a certain extent since they have some control over Veda now and is actively initiating the Plan or whatnot. Probably not the general public though, still some things like the nature of the Thrones did got revealed by Robert Spacey's book and whatnot and the study of historians.
Old 2011-03-03, 21:54   Link #997
kakakka

I doubt ESF knows. Their control of Veda was limited to the Innovades, who were in turn bound to Veda. They wouldn't get an info of that nature out of Veda.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 04:35   Link #998
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

calubin found something interesting, thought I'd share:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calubin_175
I found a little credible blurb from 2chan which was originally from Fukuchi's Twitter account.

福地先生のtwitterによると、劇場版最終決戦で参加した連邦軍の全艦艇は数十隻程度。
1期以前は輸送艦中心だった上、2期終盤でアロウズ、カタロン、反乱軍合わせて多数の
艦艇が失われたため、宇宙艦艇を100隻単位で揃えるのは無理だったらしい。
50隻すらいなかったのな…しかも半分くらいは軍艦じゃなく輸送艦だったし…
むしろ、そんな中で新型戦艦や改造巡洋艦を作ってた連邦軍も凄いがw

According to Fukuchi, the Federation only fielded few 10s of ships in the movie final battle. On top of its primary composition being transport ships from season 1, since many ships were lost from the battle in season 2, reaching a 100 ship count was impossible. As a result, there weren't even 50 ships and furthermore, half of it were transport ships. He also comments that the Federation was pretty amazing with their new ships(Nile) and modified ships(Volgal).
Well, that explains why even the less advanced ships were being fielded. They really didn't have much choice.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:19   Link #999
velocity7

So in the end, it was Ribbons' fault for causing so much mischief that the ESF couldn't oppose the ELS as much as they could have.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:53   Link #1000
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
So in the end, it was Ribbons' fault for causing so much mischief that the ESF couldn't oppose the ELS as much as they could have.
That honestly does not surprise me.