AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-02-14, 15:13   Link #1
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

English Translated Visual Novels

Hmm, I'm a little nervous about posting this thread since it's my second one, I have no idea if this is the right place or there's already a place on the forum I could ask this.

Ok, well, just days ago I started the first ever english translated Visual Novel I've done which was Katawa Shoujo. I always wanted to play games like these since I started watching anime, but I always thought that you could only get them in Japan or they would only have the Japanese language.

Then, my friend showed me Katawa Shoujo and told me that it can simply be downloaded, so obviously I did and i'm enjoying it a lot. I saw on the desciption of this section of the forum that you could ask for game suggestions as well as anime and manga.

So, I guess basically what i'm asking is, are there any other english Visual Novels similar (Or unsimilar) to Katawa Shoujo that can simply be downloaded from an official website or someplace similar?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of thing =S
Old 2012-02-14, 15:24   Link #2
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

G-senjou no Mahou: thriller/mistery, with a lot of suspense, 5 routes, settled at school: you are the son of a boss of yakuza, who, while fucking around at school, have a company. There are some weird happenings, regarding a certain Devil (Mahou), who... You aren't left with many choices, since it's more like reading and once in a while making a decision, which is even easy, but the story is very cool. I enjoyed it very much

Canvas 2: don't mind the "2", it's a totally different story. You are a teacher in his early twenties, but the game makes you feel like you were a student, because you are lazy and always fucking around. There are like 8 routes, and here there are fuckloads of choices you can make. It got some touching moments, enjoyable game overall. However, once you finish the first 2 routes, doing the others will be very boring, so i suggest you pick up the main routes (Elis and Kana), that are the best (imo).

My experience stops here. I wasn't able to find any other FULLY translated title. Have fun (the first is better plotwise, but the second lets you play and interact WAAY more)
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 15:29   Link #3
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

These suggestions aren't going to work since both G senjou and canvas are commercial games so.

Free EN VN around:
-True Rememberance
-Narcissu
Old 2012-02-14, 15:43   Link #4
Jarulf

As an alternative to translated professsional games, there are also quite a few visual novels made by non-professionals.
Check out Ren'Py, where you can find all sorts of games, free or pretty cheap.
Old 2012-02-14, 15:45   Link #5
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
G-senjou no Mahou: thriller/mistery, with a lot of suspense, 5 routes, settled at school: you are the son of a boss of yakuza, who, while fucking around at school, have a company. There are some weird happenings, regarding a certain Devil (Mahou), who... You aren't left with many choices, since it's more like reading and once in a while making a decision, which is even easy, but the story is very cool. I enjoyed it very much

Canvas 2: don't mind the "2", it's a totally different story. You are a teacher in his early twenties, but the game makes you feel like you were a student, because you are lazy and always fucking around. There are like 8 routes, and here there are fuckloads of choices you can make. It got some touching moments, enjoyable game overall. However, once you finish the first 2 routes, doing the others will be very boring, so i suggest you pick up the main routes (Elis and Kana), that are the best (imo).

My experience stops here. I wasn't able to find any other FULLY translated title. Have fun (the first is better plotwise, but the second lets you play and interact WAAY more)
If you want more, check the TL;Wiki website and you find a number of visual novels that would fit for your tastes or not.
If you like Steins;Gate, you could also do with Chaos;Head (but I understand you have only watched the anime version of S;G) : Play the game first, then watch the 12-episode TV anime. It has some romance in it.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 21:10   Link #6
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
Ok, well, just days ago I started the first ever english translated Visual Novel I've done which was Katawa Shoujo. I always wanted to play games like these since I started watching anime, but I always thought that you could only get them in Japan or they would only have the Japanese language.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Katawa Shoujo was not translated into English: English is its original language. It wasn't made in Japan, it was made by English-speaking japanophiles. The shocking truth is Katawa Shoujo is a game that spawned from 4chan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The game originated in a sketch created by Japanese doujinshi artist Raita.[3][4] From January 2007, the sketch was discussed extensively on the 4chan image board, and a development group was assembled from users of 4chan and other internet communities. The group took the name Four Leaf Studios (based on 4chan's logo). On April 29, 2009, the team released an "Act One" preview.[5] Act 1 has since been updated for several additional languages; As of v5, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, German, Hungarian, and both Traditional and Simplified Chinese are included. As of January 4, 2012, the full game has been released in English only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
are there any other english Visual Novels similar (Or unsimilar) to Katawa Shoujo that can simply be downloaded from an official website or someplace similar?
Ehh, you won't be able to go to any official website and download commercial visual novels. But some of them have been translated by fans into English and are unlicensed outside of Japan. Really, if you know how to download fansubbed anime then it should be easy.

Anyway, if you like Katawa Shoujo I have to recommend Cross Channel: a gem among eroge.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 21:25   Link #7
Divini
Senpai!

If you're into Mystery/Drama/Survival/Romance I suggest playing Ever 17.

Hell even if you're not into those genres you should still play it. One of the best fully English translated VN's I played.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 22:24   Link #8
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
If you're into Mystery/Drama/Survival/Romance I suggest playing Ever 17.

Hell even if you're not into those genres you should still play it. One of the best fully English translated VN's I played.
+++ Ever 17 is my favorite VN, followed by Fate/Stay Night and Katawa Shoujo

These aren't free, but picking my memory of the VNs I've played, I liked the following:

Ever 17: Totally awesome. No adult content. You must play all routes to get the true end, and it's well worth the time investment. Highly recommended
Fate/Stay Night: Needs no introduction
KiraKira: Music club story. Flavors of K-ON, just more down-n-dirty in the club music scene and stuff
Tsukihime: Another good one. I love anything with vampires lol
Brave Soul: RPG like. You actually have to fight and stuff
Ai Yori Aoshi: Amusing little adventure, pretty light weight
A Drug That Makes You Dream: Interesting story of 3 f'ed up girls
Come See Me Tonight: If I'm remembering correct, story of a guy who becomes an apprentice cook
Family Project: Interesting, if lengthy
Kana Little Sister: Keep tissues around and get ready for man-tears lol
Saya no Uta: Awesome thriller/guro type story
Katawa Shoujo: Freakin awesome, even more so when you realize it's just fan made
Let's Meow Meow: Anthromorphic. Light on story, heavy on adult content, but was amusing
Moero Downhill Night: Wasn't too bad, about street racing
Princess Waltz: Very good, kinda reminded me of F/SN
Shuffle: Another that needs no introduction
Snow Sakura: Can't remember much about it at all, but I know I liked it lol
Tears to Tiara: Awesome RPG/combat style game
The Sagara Family: Like Meow Meow.. not a heavy story, basic harem story but it wasn't bad
Wanko to Kurasou: More anthromorphic cuteness
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 04:00   Link #9
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

I strongly recommend Fate Stay Night
Old 2012-02-15, 15:38   Link #10
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it
Old 2013-03-04, 17:22   Link #11
Magicflier

Try playing Rewrite
I strongly recommend it.
Magicflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 17:55   Link #12
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

I can't believe nobody suggested Muv-Luv. You have to first start with the first one which is composed of two parts: Muv-Luv Extra (recommended to be cleared first) Muv-Luv Unlimited, this two might not seem special at first but once you start Muv-Luv Alternative you will be absorbed and glad you went through the other two, Alternative is a masterpiece, and my favorite work.

I also second G-senjou no Maou the main heroine route is an epic story, the other routes didn't really cut it for me but the main route was on a whole new level.

I also enjoyed the D.C. novels, D.C. ~Da Capo~=> Kotori Love Ex P=>D.C. II ~Da Capo II~
Old 2013-03-06, 05:33   Link #13
Pacify

Id suggest Muv-luv extra/alternative and Ever 17. Easily 2 off the best VN's period.
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 10:26   Link #14
xland44
Otaku

What's a visual novel? :L I know what a light novel is, but you act as if a visual novel is a game or something.
xland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 10:44   Link #15
DanielMors
Second Stake of Sloth

Well, it is a game. Kind of. Visual Novels are interactive novels mostly for pc, but there are also ports for handhelds and other consoles. Some VNs have a linear story, while others have choices that influence the course the story takes.
Since there are different kinds of VNs (NVL, ADV, RPG hybrids etc.), I would suggest reading this wikipedia article, if you are really interested in the topic.
DanielMors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 14:18   Link #16
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Something like this:
Old 2013-06-27, 03:36   Link #17
Gshin

Thumbs up Well...

Well I hope I wasn't too late to reply... coz I just star VN 1 or 2 months ago...

Actually I also like visual novels...
AND I AM HERE TO RECOMMEND A VN that I think it is hyper nice... well at least myself do...
Moe Cure Net, this vn have a translated english version and do have a free(pirated version), just search Moe Cure Net(EN) apk on google and 1 of them will bring it to the free download site... Well I do prefer purchasing... just to support the producer cause I love the vn lolz
Gshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 05:40   Link #18
Bern-san

Hadaka Shitsuji
The other people already recommended good VNs.
These 2 are free and you can play it online, the main problem is that they're very short:
Phantom Seeds
Ripples

Zeiva (they've created many English VNs) has recently released Area-X, it is an otome (aimed at female) but the plot is really good with time traveling elements, puzzle games and excellent art. You can play the demo and then purchase it if you liked it on the website.
It is a companion game/prequel for X-Note (it is not necessary to play X-Note before the other one but some of its characters appear in Area-X).
Spoiler for OP of both games:
Old 2013-06-27, 10:38   Link #19
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Megatokyo has a (3x fully funded) kickstarter for a Visual Novel to be released sometime next February.

Proof of concept:

Megatokyo is an English webcomic set in Tokyo, written by a fan of anime and visual novels. It already had some visual novel elements referenced in the webcomic, so it should fit rather well.

Basically the comic has two main protagonists. Piro and Largo, both Americans. Piro is the kind of anime fan that watches Clannad, Magical Girl series, plays Visual Novels, knows Japanese, and reads Shoujo manga. Largo is the kind of fan that watches Gundam, Action shows, horror, and never learned a word of Japanesem though he is fluent in l33t. They take a trip together to Tokyo, were they end up up broke with no way to get back home.

The both live in the same place, and interact with the same characters, but they see Tokyo very very differently. Piro essentially starts living a visual novel like experience with overlapping love triangles. Meanwhile Largo is busy defending the city against an attack of the Army of the Dead, Godzilla, and various other enemies. I repeat: They interact with the same characters, and occupy the space, yet perceive events very differently. It makes for a rather hilarious comic, and will probably do the same for the visual novel.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2013-06-27 at 11:37.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote