AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-12, 20:53   Link #761
ila
Asian Zing

Send a message via AIM to ila
Does Riichi Mahjong have another name to it? I'm looking at this Four Winds Mahjong Program and I'm not seeing anything named that.

Also that online one that was linked to is good, but is anyone else getting a "No Multiplier" error when they try to call Tsumo or Ron? Or maybe its not an error and I'm missing something.
ila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 21:56   Link #762
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
In riichi Mahjong you only play a max of two rounds, you never play the west and north rounds (unless a tie breaker is needed, and you only play an extra or two games from the west round).
An East-round game on tenhou that I was playing in recently basically went for a full chan. Everyone won 4 times as dealer and by the end, everyone was screaming for it to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
Also that online one that was linked to is good, but is anyone else getting a "No Multiplier" error when they try to call Tsumo or Ron? Or maybe its not an error and I'm missing something.
There is a rule that you must have 1 yaku/1 fan/1 point/whatever you want to call it when you win. If you don't have that, you have a 0 yaku/0 fan/0 point hand and thus get no multiplier.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 21:59   Link #763
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
You are probably missing a yaku. In Riichi mahjong, you cannot win with just any hand, but your hand have to meet certain characteristics, like those explained in the wiki article I linked.

Why is a yaku a multiplier? For each yaku you get, the value of your hand roughly duplicates.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-05-12 at 23:22.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 06:24   Link #764
ila
Asian Zing

Send a message via AIM to ila
And suddenly this game gets that much more complicated.

Ugh I happen to have a tileset already, wish I had people to learn the game with.
ila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 06:31   Link #765
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Saki has the potential of an overall 10/10 anime, it has great and cute characters, great comady, decent plot and qualitys. But the Mahjong part completely takes away 2 points and gives it a 8/10... But it also has its flaws, I dont hate Mahjong, as a matter a fact I enjoy it, but how they take Mahjong so serious and how the whole lightning and "BOOM AND BANG" and the whole "Omg She Has A Deadly Mahjong Aura Dun Dun Dun Dunnnn..." just makes whole game look pretty ridiculous.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 06:34   Link #766
Proto

No, it makes it look cool. In fact it is one of the reasons I enjoy the series so much. How it takes itseff ridiculously serious. And I'm sure it's the same for many people here.
Old 2009-05-13, 06:42   Link #767
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
No, it makes it look cool. In fact it is one of the reasons I enjoy the series so much. How it takes itseff ridiculously serious. And I'm sure it's the same for many people here.
Well I guess everyone have there own opinion on the matter which is alright like how I felt about Saki.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 06:55   Link #768
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
But it also has its flaws, I dont hate Mahjong, as a matter a fact I enjoy it, but how they take Mahjong so serious and how the whole lightning and "BOOM AND BANG" and the whole "Omg She Has A Deadly Mahjong Aura Dun Dun Dun Dunnnn..." just makes whole game look pretty ridiculous.
I won't call it "flaw", but it "positive point" instead. Or should I say, that's the only stand out point of this anime.
Old 2009-05-13, 07:35   Link #769
Peanutbutter

Quote:
but how they take Mahjong so serious and how the whole lightning and "BOOM AND BANG" and the whole "Omg She Has A Deadly Mahjong Aura Dun Dun Dun Dunnnn..." just makes whole game look pretty ridiculous.
Those effects are there to bring out the dramatic flavor of the game, that's all.

There's still "real" mahjong being played and I managed to learn a few things or two thus far.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 09:21   Link #770
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Is there any reason why ALL other schools have the same uniform with the exception of Ryuumonbuchi who has 4 different kinds of uniforms? (5 if Koromo has another one as well)
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 10:41   Link #771
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Is there any reason why ALL other schools have the same uniform with the exception of Ryuumonbuchi who has 4 different kinds of uniforms? (5 if Koromo has another one as well)
Considering that Touka's name is "Ryuumonbuchi Touka" somehow I'm guess she makes the rules at her own school. And she doesn't seem to be the uniform dress code type.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 10:41   Link #772
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Do you see fanservice and moe tag under this thread?
Old 2009-05-13, 10:56   Link #773
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Saki has the potential of an overall 10/10 anime, it has great and cute characters, great comady, decent plot and qualitys. But the Mahjong part completely takes away 2 points and gives it a 8/10... But it also has its flaws, I dont hate Mahjong, as a matter a fact I enjoy it, but how they take Mahjong so serious and how the whole lightning and "BOOM AND BANG" and the whole "Omg She Has A Deadly Mahjong Aura Dun Dun Dun Dunnnn..." just makes whole game look pretty ridiculous.
Guess you haven't watched Akagi then

And the obviously exaggerated effects on their godlike hands is exactly the whole point of the way this series deal with mahjong (not to mention adds a whole new layer of hilarious to an otherwise quite boring matches to watch if they don't intend to go down the SERIOUS route that is Akagi). The thing is viewers who don't know the game need such stimulation otherwise I could imagine some of them falling asleep.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 12:55   Link #774
4Tran

Quote:
In riichi Mahjong you only play a max of two rounds, you never play the west and north rounds (unless a tie breaker is needed, and you only play an extra or two games from the west round).
The two hanchan games are the standard for Riichi Mahjong, but the name itself implies that this isn't necessarily the only way to play. As far as I can tell, it's quite possible for full games to be played for all four winds instead.

Quote:
Does Riichi Mahjong have another name to it? I'm looking at this Four Winds Mahjong Program and I'm not seeing anything named that.
It probably wouldn't. The name "Four Winds" implies that your program is based on Chinese rulesets, and it'd be unlikely that it would include Riichi Mahjong. There are quite a few differences between the two - Riichi doesn't have any flower tiles, it has very different scoring rules, dora tiles, and so on. Riichi (also spelled as "Reach" ) Mahjong is also called Dora Mahjong, but that seems to be a much less popular name.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Riichi Mahjong is one of the most arcane rulesets out there for the game , and strategies that would be used with some other variants aren't that great here. Here are some useful tips for anyone wanting to learn Riichi Mahjong: http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq/mjfaq08.html#d
Spoiler for For Space:

It's a very good idea to learn all of the different winning hands, and remember wether they have to be concealed or not. The flash game is quite a useful learning tool because it doesn't let you make an illegal move, and because it lets you know whenever you can declare Riichi.

Quote:
But it also has its flaws, I dont hate Mahjong, as a matter a fact I enjoy it, but how they take Mahjong so serious and how the whole lightning and "BOOM AND BANG" and the whole "Omg She Has A Deadly Mahjong Aura Dun Dun Dun Dunnnn..." just makes whole game look pretty ridiculous.
That's sort of the point of this, and pretty much all sports anime . There will be lots of lighting, sparks, rivalry poses and so on as well. You're missing out a bit if you can't appreciate the appeal of this kind of presentation.

Quote:
Another explanation can be that Ryuumonbuchi simply doesn't use a standardized uniform. There are some high schools in Japan like that.
Old 2009-05-13, 12:58   Link #775
Osamu

Quote:

Riichi/Reach Mahjong is the name of the European variant of Japanese mahjong

Japanese ruleset should be listed under the name "japanese modern/classic" IIRC.

I recommend you to use AImahjong or something if you just want to play Japanese mahjong, I find 4winds interface to be crap.

Also, is there a mahjong thread on animesuki?
Osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 13:26   Link #776
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

will they go to china, after all it is the biggest over there.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 13:34   Link #777
Proto

They don't share their rule sets, so it would be like preparing for a very different game altogether.
Old 2009-05-13, 17:09   Link #778
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Almost fell asleep from all the Nodoka hyping they kept pounding us with...Gimme Tacos anyday.

Cheap that they didn't show the president's match though...She reminds me of one of those completely broken characters in Shonen shows that they leave their true abilities vague until they come out of nowhere and destroy everyone when the chips are down...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 17:36   Link #779
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Im claiming Kunihiro Hajime from Ryuumonbuchi highschool <3
I seriously need to stop claiming (more or less) side characters, already did that with Kazekoshis Mihoko Fukuji =_=
Cashing my chit and claiming Amae Koromo....or maybe she claims me, who knows.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 17:46   Link #780
Proto

I'll take the chance while the dark horse is still undercover and do the same with Tsuruga's Yumi

In any case, the Mahjong thread might be a good idea. Then we can stop hijacking this thread with mahjong talk.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen