AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-08-19, 09:09   Link #1
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Shoujo/josei that aren't fujioshi-centric

Not long ago some people commented my MAL account which I don't see much shoujo and josei shows. Instead most of favorite shows are in fact men-centric ones like K-On! and Nichijou. Why? Not because I love moe shows but rather I hate to see what's going on recent shoujo shows nowadays. Most shoujo shows today are obviously tailored for fujioshi audiences like Starry Sky and Utau no Prince-sama for examples. No offense to actual fujioshis out but I really hate them with passion. They gave my gender a bad reputation and I'm probably one of the few female anime fans who aren't fujioshi. I'm not seeing myself as a real-life Kirino but if I want to see some good-looking guys I rather attend parties and conventions instead. Of course my man of dream is born and raised like any other human beings, not a cartoon character.

I deliberately not to use word "gender equal" as there's no such thing in anime. I still believes there are some shoujo and josei shows which aren't marketed towards fujioshi crowds and I saw some of them like Maria-Sama ga Miteru series for an example. Pretty Cure series was good too but unfortunately it also have unconformable fanbase among 30-something lonely men like My Little Pony.

Do NOT recommend these shows:

Maria-sama ga Miteru(the only shoujo show where 90% of the characters are females)
Lovely Complex
Itazura na Kiss(yes the male lead is a cold-hearted but at least plot wise it's good)
Nodame Cantabille
Honey and Clover
Hanasaku Iroha(yes it's a seinen but I really hope most shoujo shows can be as good as this one)
Kamisama Kiss
Ouran Highschool Host Club(it may mock real-life fujioshi but unfortunately I ends up hating it as it lack decent female characters)
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 09:21   Link #2
Qilin
Romanticist

Fruits Basket is a classic. It has it's share of pretty boys, but I assure you that it goes way deeper than simple appearances.

Kare Kano is another wonderful classic. It's old, and the anime is questionable, but it has one of the best female leads I've seen in the entire genre (or demographic, if you're nitpicky about this sort nonsense).

Cardcaptor Sakura is a show that will forever hold my heart. It's mahou shoujo though, so I don't know if it counts. It's a bit long, but has a pretty good cast backing it up.

Daa! Daa! Daa! is a fun show if you like fluff and heartwarming. It also has one of those slow, budding romances as well.
Old 2013-08-19, 09:54   Link #3
hyl
reading #hikaributts

The only shoujo anime that i have watched the last year was probably Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and while it has some flaws, i did find it very enjoyable as a romantic comedy
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 10:56   Link #4
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Chihayafuru
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Kaichou wa maid-sama
Usagi Drop
Kuragehime
Sukitte Ii na yo
Old 2013-08-19, 11:13   Link #5
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Full Moon Wo Sagashite
Princess Tutu
Kodomo No Omocha

..........best three shoujo anime ever. E-VER. And shame on the rest of you for not mentioning them before me.

Quote:
I'm probably one of the few female anime fans who aren't fujioshi.
I'M WITH YOU, MY SISTER.
..............though I do drool over hot anime guys quite a bit....just...not over fantasies of every single guy being gay with each other.
Old 2013-08-19, 11:56   Link #6
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I add

Please save my Earth (Boku no Chikyuu wo mamotte)
The anime is nice and well done, but if you want to know the whole story you need to read the manga.

also

The twelve kingdom (Juuni Kokuki)

and

Magic Knight Rayearth

Furthermore I don't know how much you are into very very old classic but

Versailles no Bara

Is one of the most influential and known shoujo of all time. I recommend it even in spite of its age.

There's also Utena which was extremely popular on its time, I've been watching it for the past few days and I almost finished it, but I have really mixed feelings about it. There are elements of pure genius mixed into sloppy and repetitive storytelling, bad animation, and retarded comedy.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 12:33   Link #7
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
There's also Utena which was extremely popular on its time, I've been watching it for the past few days and I almost finished it, but I have really mixed feelings about it. There are elements of pure genius mixed into sloppy and repetitive storytelling, bad animation, and retarded comedy.
Eh, I agree. The series is rather overrated....the characters are barely likable except for Utena herself and a couple minor ones. There's also nothing of romantic value if you're not into yuri, yaoi, or incest.
Old 2013-08-19, 16:09   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Saiunkoku Monogatari isn't on that forbidden list, so I'll recommend it here. It includes a stellar performance by Kuwashima Houko in the lead role. She portrays a young woman who wants to become an imperial official despite women being banned from the office. It has the trappings of a reverse harem, but Shurrei is hardly the love-struck heroine.

You might also like Hataraki Man. It follows a 28-yo magazine editor as she deals with patriarchy in the workplace and a relationship where both partners are overworked. Do a Google search for the torrents for this by Arienai.

Finally I'll suggest the two adaptations of novels by anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko, Seirei no Moribito and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. I'm not sure what demographic category to put these in, but they both feature strong female leads with few silly romantic entanglements and no bishie boys to ship.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 09:38   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Chihayafuru
Usagi Drop
Kimi Ni Todoke
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 08:08   Link #10
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I'm a classic male otaku viewer so I can't help you much about it except I can suggest you to see Special A. It may not the best shoujo ever made but let me tell you, this one is NOT an Ouran clone! In fact I prefer this one much better than Ouran as it has some good several female characters especially my all-time favorite Akira(she was voiced by the same woman who voiced Shizuma in Strawberry Panic go figures), better overall characters and more importantly it's not a reverse harem. I think what most people confused about this show and Ouran is its theme: both features elites among elites though ironically Special A fits to that description far closer than Ouran was. It is sad to see Special A was hated and panned where Ouran was loved and acclaimed.

By the way I can't really recommend you to see it at least 7-8 episodes of it before you can give your own judgement about it.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote