AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-07-13, 23:16   Link #1041
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
is it just me or did anyone else feel that the guy owned himself by losing the letter and that was supposed to be the 'key'

but personally for me it's hard to believe that someone could hold onto their feelings for 10+ years like that. i mean he should have changed completely but it doesn't seem like it
Takaki had changed completely; he no longer possessed the same youthful enthusiasm towards life, and instead had allowed himself to become a hollow drone that methodically went on with his meaningless life in an endless stagnancy. He realized that there was a void in his heart that he simply could not fill, and in the third part of the story we see this nadir of his depressive state. It is only by the shear coincidence of walking into that convenient store and being reminded of his childhood and his early love with Akari that Takaki experienced a rebirth. The scenes that follow combine his nostalgia, anguish, and passion into an explosion of recollected experience. However, while he reminisces of Akari, the final scene with the passing train suggests that Takaki understands the reality of his life and of their relationship, and thus he finally moves on.
Proudleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 01:09   Link #1042
velvet nightmare

i was referring to his feelings for akari that never changed, but i do agree that he did end up moving on at the very end

though it begs the question why akari decided not to continue the relationship, was it mainly because of her personality? or just the plot. if tataki was able to hold on to those feelings for so long why couldn't she?
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 09:30   Link #1043
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
i was referring to his feelings for akari that never changed, but i do agree that he did end up moving on at the very end

though it begs the question why akari decided not to continue the relationship, was it mainly because of her personality? or just the plot. if tataki was able to hold on to those feelings for so long why couldn't she?
If I remember correctly, in the movie while he was in highschool or middle school, you see him walking with that girl that liked him while Akari was walking around with a different boy...maybe she found someone else I guess.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 11:46   Link #1044
velvet nightmare

yeah i think so too, and she ended up walking past her mail box while he was still checking it or something like that
Old 2009-07-14, 12:42   Link #1045
Hakuoro917
Obsessed Anime Syndrome
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Hakuoro917
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
"The feel-good romantic comedy of the year."
Feel-good Romantic Comedy?

Care to Explain?
Hakuoro917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 12:45   Link #1046
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I found the contents of the letter.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-14, 12:53   Link #1047
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleri View Post
I found the contents of the letter.

Spoiler:

Wow... I was touched for some seconds after reading this letter.

Well..

Spoiler for letter:

Btw, i got a question about the Novel(s). Are they aviable to buy/order in english? Or only jap? I would LOVE to order and read them.
Old 2009-07-14, 12:58   Link #1048
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Btw, i got a question about the Novel(s). Are they aviable to buy/order in english? Or only jap? I would LOVE to order and read them.
I read the summaries(although they are pretty damn long) which includes the 3 chapters of the novel from here http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/5-centi...-second-novel/ , if you scroll down you can see Episode 1,2,3 summaries of the novel.
Old 2009-07-14, 14:39   Link #1049
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
I read the summaries(although they are pretty damn long) which includes the 3 chapters of the novel from here http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/5-centi...-second-novel/ , if you scroll down you can see Episode 1,2,3 summaries of the novel.
Ah thank you for the tip.
Old 2009-07-14, 20:50   Link #1050
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuoro917 View Post
Feel-good Romantic Comedy? Care to Explain?
Feel-good romantic tragedy?

Many thanks to Fleri for the letter and the link to the summaries, etc.

Time to watch this again. When I saw it the first time (or three times), when it came out, I thought it was the greatest animated film ever made.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 21:46   Link #1051
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

is that the real content of the letter, or something you composed? if its the latter, kudos for that.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 22:53   Link #1052
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
is that the real content of the letter, or something you composed? if its the latter, kudos for that.
It's the real letter from the novels.
Old 2009-07-15, 02:01   Link #1053
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
That's a really good site. Thanks for linking me.

In my real-life, I feel "friendships" in adulthood feel so scripted and superficial, so 5cm really, really makes me miss childhood. I hope others have had better luck!
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 03:59   Link #1054
Fishman

Quote:
is it just me or did anyone else feel that the guy owned himself by losing the letter and that was supposed to be the 'key'

but personally for me it's hard to believe that someone could hold onto their feelings for 10+ years like that. i mean he should have changed completely but it doesn't seem like it
That is the point of anime, real life sucks compared to them(in most cases). That is why slice of life animes are so popular
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 04:46   Link #1055
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Well, there was that much difference. How else was I supposed to do a comparison?

Anyway, nice to see the 5cm discussion ongoing again. Don't forget there's little bits of interesting info about the making of the movie too in the artbook... Seems he likes to re-use props and backdrops a fair bit but still looks great!
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 00:43   Link #1056
feRfe

i don't find 10 years unbelievable
feRfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 01:39   Link #1057
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Part of the reason that I, at least, like anime is that sometimes it can show us the most idealistic tendencies we have as reality. I personally do hope that love would exist for ten years or more. So seeing it in an anime is something I would like. Is it realistic? I dunno...

But in regards to the this film itself, well I never felt that the characters were adequately made to be cared about in a significant way (I used the term "blank slates" in a previous post) and that the director focused more on evoking "snapshots" of certain feelings and atmosphere through different devices...... Perhaps if they had really made me care about the characters I wouldn't even question that devotion.

Just my opinion.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-07-16 at 11:21.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 16:27   Link #1058
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

you'd be surprised at how long love lingers.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 18:14   Link #1059
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
In my real-life, I feel "friendships" in adulthood feel so scripted and superficial, so 5cm really, really makes me miss childhood. I hope others have had better luck!
In many ways, I'd have to agree. Adulthood can feel rather scripted and superficial at times. And 5cm really did a magical job of making me look back to my childhood and reminisce. Memories. I really think I should re-watch this movie now.
Old 2009-07-16, 19:58   Link #1060
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Part of the reason that I, at least, like anime is that sometimes it can show us the most idealistic tendencies we have as reality. I personally do hope that love would exist for ten years or more. So seeing it in an anime is something I would like. Is it realistic? I dunno...

But in regards to the this film itself, well I never felt that the characters were adequately made to be cared about in a significant way (I used the term "blank slates" in a previous post) and that the director focused more on evoking "snapshots" of certain feelings and atmosphere through different devices...... Perhaps if they had really made me care about the characters I wouldn't even question that devotion.

Just my opinion.
makes sense. can only have so much character development in 3 episodes

but i guess the other message the director could be giving is that life is short and even small romances (small as in it started small and didn't go all that far) can make a big impact

after considering it a bit more, i guess the director caters to both sides. if you don't think love can last that long, you get to side with the girl. if you do, then you side with the boy.

im sure in the grand scheme of things the two had to separate (given 3 episodes), b/c im sure i'd probably be complaining about the realism/probability if they suddenly got back together in their 20's after a huge gap in their relationship

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai