Why does it have to end so soon? DX
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 06:04   Link #402
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 10:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Another truly fantastic ep. My favorite moment was the same as Shiroth's, and I loved Shu's reaction in Inari's apartment as well. I just bemoan that this is ending when I feel like we've barely scratched the surface with these characters.
Oh, I think that's my problem. Ten episodes and we've only barely scratched the surface of the characters. We're still stuck on the exact same issues. I'm growing seriously tired of hearing Tsukimi whine about not being beautiful. Yes, we know she has some serious self-confidence problems, I don't need it to be highlighted in every single episode. It'd be a lot better to see her work towards solving her issues, which incidentally, is what the first few episodes were about. However lately, I feel like Tsukimi is backtracking, which is quite frustrating. Damn you, vixen!

Kuranosuke's development has been perfect so far though.
Old 2010-12-25, 08:46   Link #403
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm slightly perplexed at the relative lack of shock and/or outrage at the way Shuu is being played like a fiddle and pussywhipped by that woman. It's very good of him to finally show her that he refuses to be lead around on a leash, even if it means that he's going away from this potential scandal.

If this follows previous NoitaminA series then this may likely end next week and... I don't really see how they'll wrap it up without a second season. I think there's far too many loose threads to tie up in 1-2 episodes.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 08:51   Link #404
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm slightly perplexed at the relative lack of shock and/or outrage at the way Shuu is being played like a fiddle and pussywhipped by that woman. It's very good of him to finally show her that he refuses to be lead around on a leash, even if it means that he's going away from this potential scandal.
Well Shuu being wraped around the bitches finger was just more of the same to me and I'm not sure what to make of Shuu slapping her and then hitting her in a childish way like that. It almost made it seem as if it was hinting those two were starting to fall in love with each other, which is an incredibly warped aesop no matter how you look at it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 12:57   Link #405
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Shu, I think, is a very simple person - direct, honest, hardworking and a slave to propriety. It would never occur to him to manipulate someone's feelings the way Inari does to him, and it seems he reached a breaking point at last and fled in defeat. Perhaps now the poor, sweet guy realizes that there's nothing to be gained in being solicitous of Inari - his chivalry is lost on her.

Kanon, I see the "scratched the surface" thing as a compliment, not a criticism. It's not as if these characters haven't developed - I think they've evolved more than most characters in two-cour series already. The issue is the characters are so well-written and complicated that it would take at least 26 episodes to really get to know them.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 17:48   Link #406
CWW
Lurker

I don't think the writing has been as perfect as people claim to be. It's crystal clear that they're rushing it because of time restraints. Tsukimi in particular is suffering from the lack of breaks. She is too wishy-washy even up to the final episode. It's understandable considering her past, which is why she needs time to gradually develop. Do it too fast and it won't come off as believable. This is why I think the last episode won't end on a high note. There are still too many loose ends to cover.

Despite that, this is still one of my favorite shows of the year. There's just something about the chemistry between Tsukimi and Kuranosuke that comes off as genuine and appealing. Polar opposites attract apparently.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 18:25   Link #407
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Kanon, I see the "scratched the surface" thing as a compliment, not a criticism. It's not as if these characters haven't developed - I think they've evolved more than most characters in two-cour series already. The issue is the characters are so well-written and complicated that it would take at least 26 episodes to really get to know them.
I knew you meant it as a compliment. I just don't share your point of view

The very short length of the series is its real problem. Even so, I think they could have done better with the limited time they had. If we get a second season, it'll be okay, but if we don't, I'll be very disappointed. As CWW said, there is no way the series will (believably) end on a high note. Tsukimi has made zero progess lately, she can't just change suddenly in the last episode.
Old 2010-12-25, 23:07   Link #408
achirist

This has been such a great show, but I was shocked to learn just now that there is only one episode left. There have been so many issues brought up, and yet the story has just been inching along (and I don't really like all the 'to be continued' moments)--it would be farcical if they really tried to shove a conclusion of everything into one episode. The secret woman behind the door, the missing mother, the girl's issues, the love square, the makeovers (they only actually happened once, and I don't think the girls learned very much)... It seems headed towards something unsatisfying, but I'll have to look for the manga.
Old 2010-12-26, 14:32   Link #409
Falkor

episode 10 - a lukewarm life is enough for me.

I don't want this show to end...

anyway, I have been liking the music for the past few episodes, but especially in this one. I have to love the piece at the beginning and the one towards the end (which has been played a couple of times in the past).

I would love to have another season of this show, if only for the humor: Shuu's virgin dream, Chieko's god-like skills, Tsukimi's geek talk, Hanamori's comments and antics... It's great that the laughs come from different places and in so many ways.

I was taken a bit aback when Shuu slapped Inari in the face. I could sort of understand Shuu's emotions, but it was still a surprising reaction, if not shocking. I think something clicked in Inari's head after the events of this episode. Shuu, on the other hand, had his feelings played by someone who thought of making a joke on him. This did nothing more than reinforce the idea that Shuu has a pure (if not naive) heart. I'm not quite sure what exactly the work is trying to say with regards him. His reactions, his inexperience and awkwardness towards the opposite sex is different between Tsukimi and Inari. His relationship with the former is idealized if not superficial; with the latter, it's neither, but in many ways more troublesome and at times one-sided. There's a lot of tension with Inari, which is good most of the times; but his feelings gravitate towards Tsukimi (plus they are both virgins). I think the work is trying to play with this idea "virginity" (or purity), which shouldn't exactly be associated to one gender, status-quo, or character in particular. Everyone is born a virgin, so to speak.

There was a line by Tsukimi that I really liked: "a lukewarm life is enough for me". I could understand her thoughts; I too wish for a lukewarm and relaxing life.

The development between Tsukimi and Kuranosuke continues to be subtle (almost understated), but still very interesting. Past episodes showed the strong connection of these two characters with their respective mothers, and how this relationship and attachment had a great impact in their current lives and interests. We have learned a bit more about the two, about who they are today, but still perplexes me how this link and common element actually has a much greater importance than I first thought. Last time I pointed out how Tsukimi's memories of her mother created sadness and comfort in her. This episode made me realize that she not only draws jellyfish because she likes them, but also because doing so allows her to connect with her mother, to yearn for her---to cherish, remember and treasure the tender love and comfort she received. Similarly, I believe Kuranosuke wants to cross dress not only because he likes this hobby, but also because in doing so he can feel close to her mother and her wishes. In other words, cross dressing is a projection of this yearning, attachment and love towards his mother, similarly so to Tsukimi and her interest in drawing jellyfish. I think the development of both characters relate immensely to how each of them understand and project their respective mother's words, which has been one of the major themes for most part of the work, especially as of late. I have to love the way Tsukimi finally did something for Kuranosuke out of her own volition (after the latter had done so much for her), or how we are discovering more about Kuranosuke through the flashbacks.

No matter what happens next episode, my opinion and love for this show are not going to change. This has been my favorite show of the past year (or two); I personally think it's really good (to the point where I watch each episode more than twice or thrice, and even bother to write something about it). From the OP to the ED, the humor, the characters (and their interactions), the references, the writing, and they way themes and motifs are handled using a jellyfish, everything is exactly what I'm looking forward in a show, and I feel greatly satisfied with this one. Of course, I get the feeling there's still more story to be told, so I truly hope there's a second season to this.

=====

I noticed while checking the manga scanlatations that the titles make reference to another works, and so has the anime by keeping them in the majority of the episodes.

Spoiler for space:

I think the most interesting one is the title for episode 5: "I want to be a jellyfish", which is actually a real book.

=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I don't think the writing has been as perfect as people claim to be. It's crystal clear that they're rushing it because of time restraints. Tsukimi in particular is suffering from the lack of breaks. She is too wishy-washy even up to the final episode. It's understandable considering her past, which is why she needs time to gradually develop. Do it too fast and it won't come off as believable. This is why I think the last episode won't end on a high note. There are still too many loose ends to cover.

Despite that, this is still one of my favorite shows of the year. There's just something about the chemistry between Tsukimi and Kuranosuke that comes off as genuine and appealing. Polar opposites attract apparently.
I think the writing of this show has been truly great, despite what happens next episode. For me, writing is not just what kind of story a work is trying to tell, but how this story is told. At least from this perspective, the humor, the characters and the themes have been handled as nothing but exceptionally. The OP sequence is a good example of this: it's humorous, genuine, and makes references to different works, but also tells something about the characters (and their relationships), integrates the motif of the jellyfish, and introduces some form of foreshadowing (and it's sung by chatmonchy, which makes it even better :P).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oh, I think that's my problem. Ten episodes and we've only barely scratched the surface of the characters. We're still stuck on the exact same issues. I'm growing seriously tired of hearing Tsukimi whine about not being beautiful. Yes, we know she has some serious self-confidence problems, I don't need it to be highlighted in every single episode. It'd be a lot better to see her work towards solving her issues, which incidentally, is what the first few episodes were about. However lately, I feel like Tsukimi is backtracking, which is quite frustrating. Damn you, vixen!

Kuranosuke's development has been perfect so far though.
I think development has been very very subtle with regards to the main characters, especially Tsukimi. Personally, I don't think the issue is her lack of confidence, and in that sense, it's not the kind of growth the show may be aiming for. I believe her development has been actually more about "realization", how she's slowly understanding her mother's words and projecting them to her current life and interactions. There are many layers to this element, and the work for the most part has spent a good time elaborating on it.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 01:44   Link #410
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Shu's fantasy was awesome once again. Too bad it will never come true. He's more than likely going to end up with the vixen, who's slowly but surely starting to fall for him.
In the version of The Graduate that appears in the OP, it's Shuu who plays Benjamin's role, screaming through the window behind the church pews. In the movie Ben is trying to stop the wedding of his beloved Elaine to someone else; in Kuragehime, Shuu is trying to stop a wedding between Inari and Kuranosuke. Since that seems an unlikely ending to this story, I'm guessing the scene in the OP is designed to tell us more about Shuu.

Like others here, I'm mystified how this could all possibly be resolved in one episode. I realize that anime are designed to promote manga, and this is as true of Noitamina shows as any others. Kuragehime reminds me most of Hataraki Man. That show, too, lasted just eleven episodes, but the writers did manage to cover a couple of story arcs in that time and left Hiroko's future sufficiently unresolved to encourage viewers to read the manga. I suspect we'll see a similar conclusion to Kuragehime.

One problem I've had with Kuragehime is the supporting cast of apartment dwellers. Other than Chieko, the Amars remained undeveloped stock characters. Each week Mayaya screams about the Three Kingdoms, Bamba makes a reference to trains, and Jiji looks fondly on some old men. They were somewhat funny in the first couple of episodes, but now I find their antics a waste of time. If the writers could have pared down the Amars' screen time in favor of developing the main quartet, I think we wouldn't all feel quite so concerned about the show's pacing.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-12-27 at 01:59.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 00:23   Link #411
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Okay, episode 11 really did air yesterday, right? I've seen reviews for it but Funimation hasn't put it up or announced any delays on the episode, am I going crazy here?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 08:42   Link #412
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^
Yeah, it's aired. Just watched it (raw) myself...and..

Spoiler for finale:

More thoughts once more people have seen it I guess.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-12-31 at 08:53.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 12:35   Link #413
Blaat

Honestly I never expected a conclusive ending considering the pace of the series, the number of episodes and the manga which it's based on is still on going.
Indeed I'm more disappointed by the fact it ended than how it ended.

Ah well hoping for a second season although Noitamina's track record with sequels is really poor (unless the show is called Nodame Cantabile or Honey & Clover)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Spoiler for finale:
Nearly all anime these days can be described as such.
Old 2010-12-31, 13:14   Link #414
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Honestly I never expected a conclusive ending considering the pace of the series, the number of episodes and the manga which it's based on is still on going.
Indeed I'm more disappointed by the fact it ended than how it ended.

Nearly all anime these days can be described as such.
Maybe it's just me, but I've found that fewer of the series I watch nowadays give me that feeling. I still remember being incredibly annoyed at adaptations like Fruits Basket and Karekano after all...

I don't really mind inconclusive endings if it makes sense for a series, but this one just rubs me up the wrong way because it looks like they just didn't bother trying to make the anime capable of standing alone. No wonder people were surprised that Kuragehime had an anime greenlit so early - seriously, doing it just for more manga sales leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Manglobe did a better job with Saraiya Goyou earlier in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Ah well hoping for a second season although Noitamina's track record with sequels is really poor (unless the show is called Nodame Cantabile or Honey & Clover)
Or ~Ayakashi~Bakemono. Incidentally, whilst the original had sales of less than 3000 copies, Mononoke at av. ~13000 copies sold per volume had better average sales than Nodame Cantabile or Honey and Clover. Sadly, the one I REALLY want a sequel for is doing very badly in DVD sales...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-12-31 at 13:32.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 15:11   Link #415
Dop
Mmmm....

I have a bad feeling about this.

Not about the show itself, or the way it finished. I've really loved this show since it began and while it didn't have any conclusive ending it had rays of hope for the future...

My bad feeling is that this will be another one of those great Noitamina shows which stopped leaving the path obviously open for a sequel which we never get.
SeijiSensei mentions Hataraki Man, but I can also think of things like Moyashimon where I for one would have much rather have had a second anime series continuing on from the first, than the awful live action travesty!

Fingers and jellyfish tentacles crossed for more of this delightful series. Tequila!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 21:40   Link #416
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for End:
Old 2010-12-31, 22:26   Link #417
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Spoiler for episode 11:

Anyway, a very sweet anime and I did really like it a ton. One question however, does anyone know how many volumes of the manga this series went through?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 23:02   Link #418
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's a wrap(up)!

Spoiler for Why the ending worked for me - sort of:
Old 2010-12-31, 23:45   Link #419
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Anyway, a very sweet anime and I did really like it a ton. One question however, does anyone know how many volumes of the manga this series went through?
Volumes 1 to 4 were almost completely adapted. The last episode, though, is a travesty that takes a bit of volume 5 and 6 and adds original material, making a freaking mess of everything that was great about those two volumes.

Overall though, I really liked the series. I just don't like the last episode.
Old 2011-01-01, 02:39   Link #420
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Wow...talk about some seriously wasted potential right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The last episode, though, is a travesty that takes a bit of volume 5 and 6 and adds original material, making a freaking mess of everything that was great about those two volumes.
...and that makes me feel even more annoyed with the last episode. Sigh. Such a sad feeling after i was loving this series so much.

One thing i particularly disliked is how Shu's character was handled later in the series. Even if Inari developed feelings for him, the main reason he's confused and can't push her away is because he thinks they did it, which is perfectly normal considering he's a virgin. And that's why i can't help but feel sorry for him. His half-assed "closure" was terrible and forced too.

Anyway...what's with that high school girl's drawing on the plane?

Last edited by Goty; 2011-01-01 at 02:55.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance