AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-03-31, 03:23   Link #21
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Indeed. People that worried too much probably weren't worth listening to anyways.

And you can't neg me now for this! /runs away.
Meh, it literally brought "acting" into the forums.
Forums are not a police station where you must watch for every word you say, however, keeping on-topic is wanted and needed.
Also, keep in mind that these are Anime-focused forums and anime is entertainment. Although people should keep on topic, they began being all serious when Reputation system was here and that was bad.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 06:29   Link #22
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's not that people are fearful of a little bit of criticism, it's that it's annoying to get it from someone who you can't even respond to.
Truth to be spread...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 11:21   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Indeed. People that worried too much probably weren't worth listening to anyways.

And you can't neg me now for this! /runs away.
Oh now I'm sad
Old 2013-03-31, 17:10   Link #24
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Meh, it literally brought "acting" into the forums.
Forums are not a police station where you must watch for every word you say, however, keeping on-topic is wanted and needed.
Also, keep in mind that these are Anime-focused forums and anime is entertainment. Although people should keep on topic, they began being all serious when Reputation system was here and that was bad.
I really can't say that the rep-minigame is anything like policing. Yes, insults are never cool when unwarranted, though I sincerly doubt anyone would really change their thoughts based on the Christmas tree seen in the control panel.

But yea, fun minigame but caused too much discomfort, won't be missed.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 17:35   Link #25
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
I really can't say that the rep-minigame is anything like policing. Yes, insults are never cool when unwarranted, though I sincerly doubt anyone would really change their thoughts based on the Christmas tree seen in the control panel.

But yea, fun minigame but caused too much discomfort, won't be missed.
If you take a look at my registration date on AnimeSuki Forums, you can see that I don't know much about what the Reputation System was here, so sorry for being so smart, I shouldn't be, hehe.
However, I did come in contact with it on two other Forums and it didn't really leave a positive impression. That is the reason why I decided to post on this thread and support the OP.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 17:54   Link #26
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

hi
is this a thread where I can gloat and go I TOLD YOU SO?
figured

well, toodles
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:47   Link #27
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Glad that it's gone, and hoping that it never comes back.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:50   Link #28
Suomi
Kaiba

If we end up putting some feedback system in place...what about a thumbs up/down button under each post, but a requirement for explanation? If a post is meta or offensive or spam, or people just want to comment on a post to say "nice job" or something but don't want the trouble of VM/PM...this would work nicely, I think. Anonymous or not...I don't think it should be anonymous because then if someone thumbs down a post just for the reason of "that's stupid" or something, mods will know who it is and can take care of it.
I am thankful for the retirement of the rep system though...it's like a breath of fresh air. Like an unnecessary accessory gotten rid of...or a popularity contest done away with.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:30   Link #29
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Honestly, I seen too many of these rep systems on forums being used as contests for "I have more rep than you, so hahaha, you fail." Even I'll admit that I was tempted to see the number of green squares I had go up (it was three back when the rep system was abolished.) And while it might not have been widespread on AS, I'm pretty sure stuff like this DID exist.

I don't really see THAT much of a difference either way now it's gone...the same people talk, and anyone caught posting stupid shit gets quickly criticized anyways.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 22:33   Link #30
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
I don't really see THAT much of a difference either way now it's gone...the same people talk, and anyone caught posting stupid shit gets quickly criticized anyways.
But you can't deny it's became more livelier in the debate sections..

No more anonymous bashing, pointless insults and death threats...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 22:42   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusore View Post
If we end up putting some feedback system in place...what about a thumbs up/down button under each post, but a requirement for explanation? If a post is meta or offensive or spam, or people just want to comment on a post to say "nice job" or something but don't want the trouble of VM/PM...this would work nicely, I think.
I think this is a bit too similar to the "vote up/down" system you see on certain blog comment systems, and I don't think that's really what we want (as it just adds new problems).

I personally prefer the solution proposed by brocko above, whether that exact implementation is easily-doable or not. (Others have proposed a similar idea before too.) Basically don't care about the "good/bad" aspect, but just a quick/easy way to "send comment about this post" that's not anonymous and links back to the post in question. It's like using the post as a "conversation starter" for a side discussion, or could also be just for saying "thanks" or whatever else.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:54   Link #32
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

We should get a "<list of users> like this post" system instead.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 23:05   Link #33
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
We should get a "<list of users> like this post" system instead.
Which would then create things like this;

Quote:
(Insert user here) is a fucking retard
This post got a thumbs up from; user 1, user 2

I doubt it would get that bad (unlike most forums where I have seen this implemented), but I'm sure something similar to this would cause mods new problems.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 23:33   Link #34
Westlo
Lets be reality

^ like they wouldn't get moderated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
hi
is this a thread where I can gloat and go I TOLD YOU SO?
figured

well, toodles
Gotta admit its more boring now you can't read people's tears.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 23:34   Link #35
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
I doubt it would get that bad (unlike most forums where I have seen this implemented), but I'm sure something similar to this would cause mods new problems.
Yup, I (personally anyway) wouldn't support this sort of system either for that sort of reason (it'll cause more problems than it solves). It encourages the same sort of pettiness and factions. I also wouldn't support a "<x> people like this post" thing either because now it adds the anonymous dimension again (and this adds its own problems).

I don't think we want to trade one set of problems for another just for the sake of having a system. Something that encourages personal conversation while keeping meta out of threads is better, IMO.
Old 2013-04-01, 08:39   Link #36
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think we want to trade one set of problems for another just for the sake of having a system. Something that encourages personal conversation while keeping meta out of threads is better, IMO.
Actually I agree with that. It generates and consolidates ideas into interesting stuff.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 02:19   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The only thing I miss is the ability to kudo a post and not have it clutter up the thread (see "pointless me, too" post rule). Lately, I've taken to saying something on their public profile (*nice job! gold star!* whatever).

Other than that, meh, not missing it.
Old 2013-04-02, 07:44   Link #38
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I miss being able to chop down large trees. Then I decided to start chopping down everything.

I haven't been called out much directly for any of my posts since the reputation system was taken down though. And here I thought it was supposed to create more discussion. Oh well~
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 21:20   Link #39
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I actually forgot about it until I saw this thread. Then again, I have been busier and also invested in a larger number of currently airing series, so I've been focusing in the threads instead.

I see no problem with it staying the way it is.
Old 2013-04-03, 16:20   Link #40
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Too bad I only learned in the anouncement thread for rep system removal of the great power that was at my disposal.
Apparently, if you charge the rep strike for some years (that's several 100 episodes!), it becomes really scary to the puny younglings and it can even blow up entire planets.

Never got to use it though.

Over all the forum is a better place without it.
But it also added some spice to the entire thing. I still remember my favorite negs, like for 'supporting terrorism' or random neg rep on a post from 2005.
I'd say the forum should still have some sort of dynamic feedback system. Just don't calculate a highscore from it.

My dream feature would be a way to attach short comments to posts that only show up as a number/icon and stay invisible until someone actually bothers to click them. A way to comment on certain posts, or fork the discussion, without disturbing the original thread.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote