AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-01-09, 04:57   Link #181
Zippicus

Chalk another one up for "better than I thought it would be". The synopsis I read made this sound kid of silly but it worked out much better than I thought. Definitely looking forward to episode 2.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 07:17   Link #182
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Good introductory first episode. Hopefully this show turns out well. I'll keep my eye on this one.
Old 2010-01-09, 07:24   Link #183
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
Weirdly, I love the ending sequence. I think it's the character design, it's fairly simple yet works.
Yeah i love the ED, and along with the OP it makes for good material to remember each character. Thankfully the OP comes with names, so it makes it much easier. Plus when it comes to trying to remember names, it gives me yet another excuse to rewatch an episode.

& yeah, Yasuda's designs really shine in the ED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoghu View Post
I don't know if I'm alone, but have anybody feel a similarity in the "feeling" of the anime that looks like "Persona"?
For a reason I can't explain or even clearly think about, as I watched the episode, I feel the same feeling from when I read Persona or played the games. (But that's me... Might be my senses that are going crazy... XD)
I guess it's the "there's something dark going on in this town" theme that reminds you of Persona, because i felt it quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The character designs looked to me a bit like a cross between Baccano! and Kure-nai. I've not seen Yozakura Quartet so I have no basis for comparison.
Yasuda Suzuhito's designs are quite unique in my opinion, so i really don't understand the connection you've made. Very interesting though, i must say.
Old 2010-01-09, 09:19   Link #184
davie

Looks really promising to me. Watched the first ep and was really enjoyable to watch.
Old 2010-01-09, 09:33   Link #185
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just rewatched on CR, and on this watch i spotted that the screen shown a number of times was showing different scenes from Baccano (not just the one scene i noticed on my first watch), along with this epic poster of Miria and Isaac:

Old 2010-01-09, 10:46   Link #186
Sxerks

I started an open wiki for this if anyone is interested. Durarara Wiki
Sxerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 11:33   Link #187
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
It was definitely interesting. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the show but it's right there anyways.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 12:08   Link #188
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well I finally got round to watching the first episode and all I have to say is...What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made On Drugs?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 13:08   Link #189
Iron Maw
Banned

For a bit of fun, I found this:
http://tubedubber.com/#x_3WjhUBavU:i...0:100:0:0:true

EDIT:

Actually this even better and more fitting:
http://tubedubber.com/#x_3WjhUBavU:w...0:100:0:0:true

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-01-09 at 14:55.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 15:55   Link #190
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

Had relatively high expectations for this one before airing and judging by the first episode alone, it did not disappoint. Will definitely keep watching.

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 16:53   Link #191
Sol Falling

It's been a while since Bacanno but from what I remember of it, my one issue with the show was that despite the large cast of characters, I found hardly any of them especially interesting or likeable. I am kinda getting the same feeling here. I am kinda struck by how uninteresting main guy and his, umm, 'flamboyant' friend are right now. I'm gonna echo earlier sentiments that the most interesting character so far was the guy with one line who was spying?? (<-- or not) on the kidnappers and that I kinda hope the story doesn't focus too much on Mikado.

lol, I did watch Bacanno all the way through despite anything though so yeah I will be following this.

On the episode itself, the blatantly plot-and-setup-oriented dialogue was pretty weak. Now of course, the introduction of the characters of a story is a narrative necessity. And indeed to a degree, the main character's fresh arrival at Ikebukuro makes it natural. However when, after half an episode of introductions, your dialogue starts going 'So, who else should I look out for?' to be honest that is really quite a bit too much.

Anyway, I liked the OP and ED. The animation for the ED makes it a bit more memorable; I do like the character designs. Although I was a bit confused about Shiroth's 'large breasted' comment earlier, now that I think of it, the dark haired glasses girl, presumably 'Anri' and the third main character of this series, did strike me with the fullness of her chest :P.

lol, speaking of OPs and EDs and breasts, though, I also noticed that the cast seems to have a noticeable lack of women. There are only three in the ED/OP? as opposed to however many men. The episode itself, though, featured two women (not counting the Dullahan) not in the opening/closing sequences: the neck-scar girl and the kidnapping victim. Anyway, I don't really know what's up with the neck-scar girl but the reason I'm bringing all this up is that due to the lack of presence of the kidnapped girl in the OP/ED sequences, as well as an ominous mention of 'death' in the preview where she did show up, I am getting an unpleasant premonition that she will die. That would be quite unfortunate, really--I hope I am wrong.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 17:10   Link #192
gonzo562

love the op and ending songs. FIrst episode was alright probably give it a few more episodes to see if i stick with it
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 17:55   Link #193
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

This totally reminded me of the first epi of Baccano, lots of things going on with no explanation I do like how the OP is just like Baccano's since all the characters I liked that the OP had all their names.

Lol at the Horo cut out
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 19:12   Link #194
Nvis
Where are the good animes

How many episodes will this be?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 19:14   Link #195
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

really good start, enough to convince me to start reading the novel perhaps. Was that a Horo they were carrying?
Old 2010-01-09, 19:50   Link #196
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStrike View Post
really good start, enough to convince me to start reading the novel perhaps. Was that a Horo they were carrying?
Yup, and I am now convinced that those two are the ones who are responsible for the overpriced-but-only-available-from-one-person anime merchandise on the internet. Oh, and does anyone have a guess who was talking during the online chat? The speaker in blue was obviously Mikado and someone might be able to tell from the voice who the other two are, any ideas?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 20:02   Link #197
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Oh, and does anyone have a guess who was talking during the online chat? The speaker in blue was obviously Mikado and someone might be able to tell from the voice who the other two are, any ideas?
I was trying to figure that out too but since Kida talked so much during the epi I had a hard time hearing other voices even when he wasnt in the scene Never thought Id actually want Miyano Mamoru to shut up XD
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 20:13   Link #198
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Yup, and I am now convinced that those two are the ones who are responsible for the overpriced-but-only-available-from-one-person anime merchandise on the internet. Oh, and does anyone have a guess who was talking during the online chat? The speaker in blue was obviously Mikado and someone might be able to tell from the voice who the other two are, any ideas?
Wasn't one of the guys in the online chat the one with the glasses that was part of the kidnapping scenario calling himself Kanra-san? He's using a female avatar. He wears a lab coat in the OP. Offline called Nakura in ep. 1.

Last edited by orion; 2010-01-09 at 20:30.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 20:26   Link #199
Kunagisa

Quote:
This should be fun.

There are 3 iirc.

(Blue)Taro Tanaka: Dude who said he's moving to Ike.
(Gray)Setton: Silent guy, doesn't really say much.
(Orange)Kanra: Talks a whole bunch, mentioned the mysterious Dotachin and the Headless Monster.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 20:32   Link #200
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

OMG! Finally the sub released.!
Cant wait to watch the 1rst episode! xDD
Bea Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen