AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 06:26   Link #31461
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Support unit in what way?
Old 2012-05-27, 06:27   Link #31462
greedyspectator

... I just realized something about IS Sniper rifles...

They're particle accelerators right? Which means they have a limited range because charged particles tend to repel each other and bloom. So their effective range is limited, right? Is this why Madoka and Cecilla, both who use sniper rifles, attack at 400m range (approximate diameter of the arena in the IS academy) instead of at, let's say, 2000m? Because the effective distance of a particle accelerator is limited?

Or is it just because the author wants melee fighters to be as good (if not superior) than ranged ones? Or in other words, to give the main protagonist a break?

Even if it is the second reason, if those Laser rifles are actually particle accelerators, than there is a scientific justification as well...
Old 2012-05-27, 06:35   Link #31463
demino_hellsin
That one guy

@zero: For example. Support unit of gundam Mk II allowed it to combine with said support unit to become a super gundam(which I find a stupid name to this day) to allow it atmospheric flight and increased firepower to compensate for only having beam sabers and a beam rifle. 0 Raiser supported 00 by providing stabilizing equipment, the GN missiles were just an afterthought or the 0 raiser's own defense mechanism. Case in point, if It's Byakushiki's support flighter, I can only guess it provides reinforcement to the shield, or provides an additional layer of shielding. The fact of the matter is that Byakushiki already possesses overwhelming attack capabilities with it's one hit KO weapons and speed. The support unit, rather than adding more destructive power, would make more sense in stabilizing and erasing the weaknesses of the destructive arsenal Ichika currently has. Just my opinion though.

@greedy: Hence focusing lens. Blooming is very common problem and most beam weaponry with that problem are marketed as splash beam rifles. beam rifles of decent range have high quality foci lens which either concentrate the photo laser, or continuously compress charged particles to an extremely high density.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 06:37   Link #31464
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

It's the second, but also inverse case. Madoka IS superior to any close range fighter during her attack in Cannonball because she wasn't unrestricted by the arena wall and having an edge in technology, while Cecilia is at the bottom of the rung because her loadout totally suck for a duel confined in an arena.

And demi, did you refer to magnetic ring as lens?

BTW yes, again, their main function is to provide extra energy using extra banks of capacitor. Optional armament, armor, shield generator, thruster, or even sensor suite is all depending on the manufacturer's taste when designed the unit.

The first unit ever deployed was called 'flying pizza' because it's a simple circle-shaped backpack with thruster to offset it's own weight and of course fly toward the I.S., flight control using small wings and rudders, simple CPU, and of course connector. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by ZeroXSEED; 2012-05-27 at 06:49.
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 06:38   Link #31465
greedyspectator

@Demi
Particle Accelerators cannot be focused using a lens. They're like usual guns, except that they shoot out small particles at relativistic velocity. Lasers can be focused using a lens, particle accelerators cannot. If the sniper rifles is IS Verse are actually particle accelerators, then their short range is justified. If they're actual laser rifles... then the pilots must be really bad shots.
Old 2012-05-27, 06:44   Link #31466
demino_hellsin
That one guy

@greedy: refer to zero's comment about the magnetic ring thing.

I think rather than the standard circuit particle accelerator, they use a chamber type. Or maybe even a dash type(straight line). Though I personally vouch for the chamber type. The whole barrel of a beam sniper rifle(in my ideal design) would be lined with magnetic forces which continuously compress the charged particle shot until it's out of the barrel. blooming will eventually occur but the beam density would be so high as well as the magnetic field that binds it so strong that it takes longer than unfocused beam weapons to dissipate.
Old 2012-05-27, 06:49   Link #31467
greedyspectator

@Demi:
And just to add, particle beams CANNOT be focused. Seriously, they can't. They are initially fired by a linear accelerator, basically a railgun, and once they leave the barrel they immediately bloom. They leave the barrel relatively straight and compact, but then blooming occurs and their damage greatly decreases. Also, note that the fired particles will lose energy heating up the air and such. The divergence angle (how badly the blooming is) of a particle accelerator beam is dependent on factors such as (but not limited to) how strong the charge of the particles is, the density of the beam, and the temperature of the beam.

EDIT: So, no, a magnetic ring in front of the barrel WILL NOT reduce blooming. The blooming will simply start after it leaves the magnetic ring, and it will continue at the same pace as if there wasn't a magnetic ring, unless you intend to extend the magnetic ring all the way to your target, in which case you're firing the beam at point blank. Blooming in the case of particle accelerators occurs in a pace completely independent on the existence of magnetic rings or the length of the barrel. You can actually neutralize the beam after it leaves the barrel to reduce blooming, but in the atmosphere this does not do much (although in space, this tends to allow much greater range).

2nd EDIT: Don't take my word for it. There's a sci fi source with actual science here: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spa...Particle_Beams

3rd EDIT: And no, you can't extend a magnetic field to your target. Physics does not work that way. Seriously, have you ever seen a magnet attract only one object at a great range both not any others? And the beam density accelerates blooming, it does not reduce it. And the denser the beam, the greater the charged particles will attempt to repel each other.
Old 2012-05-27, 06:51   Link #31468
demino_hellsin
That one guy

must be why most beam weaponry have small barrels...
Old 2012-05-27, 06:52   Link #31469
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I hate to say it, but it's handwave time apparently

Simply put, all particle accelerator in I.S. can extend the 'field' as far as it's power can support and as far as the CPU can made precise calculation. Otherwise, 'flexible' (that is, bending beams mid flight) is impossible.

The blooming effect DOES present then the field is too weak, notice that Gospel fire big effing beams and it... disappear after few hundred meters or even less.

And greedy, I do read projectrho regularly. Thank you for reminding me.
Old 2012-05-27, 06:54   Link #31470
demino_hellsin
That one guy

What's the rate of blooming?
Old 2012-05-27, 07:00   Link #31471
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Well, I assume RoE (Range of Engagement) outside of Arena is <50m for close range, 50-500 m for medium range (since it's more like a dogfight), and beyond that for long range combat, I believe 20-30 km is considered long end for accuracy reason (most I.S. are not stationary object ).
Old 2012-05-27, 07:04   Link #31472
greedyspectator

@Zero: Seriously? Another projectrho reader! Awesome! It's a great source for science fiction
@Demi: The rate of blooming in space, where there is no air, is:
V = 1.4 SQRT(T) m/sec, for T in Kelvins
or
V = 1.4*((T*m)^1/2) m/sec, for T in Kelvins

Notice that the size of the barrel is not included in this equation. Mostly because the size of the barrel has no effect on the rate of blooming, although the density of the beam does.
Old 2012-05-27, 07:11   Link #31473
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

....well, as they said, if you use plasma weapon, might as well using steam gun
Old 2012-05-27, 07:20   Link #31474
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that barrel size can affect the beam because it dictates the cross sectional area of the beam path. Which increases density. The focus is also used to increase particle density. Also, the blooming effect may possibly be taken into account when designing beam weapons with smaller barrels because the blooming allows the beams to expand anyway. In another way of putting it, the blooming is part of the design.

I don't really see much in the page that disproves anime physics on particle weapons.
Old 2012-05-27, 07:41   Link #31475
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I remember they said somewhere that 'extended field containment' is a BS (so plasma bolt is impossible). Let me search it for a while
Old 2012-05-27, 07:46   Link #31476
Eratas123

.....Techwank :/
Old 2012-05-27, 07:49   Link #31477
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Well it's in the tags after all.
Old 2012-05-27, 07:56   Link #31478
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Eras
I want to write something but my brain is frozen for a moment. I do techwank for a warming up exercise
Old 2012-05-27, 08:05   Link #31479
Eratas123

Need some help? Maybe I can unfreeze it.
Old 2012-05-27, 08:17   Link #31480
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Ideas are scrambled and juggled around, don't even know where to start.

Suppose the most probable point for now is the first day in the junior high. What could be written around this situation? You might have some advice.

This was the first few paragraphs

Quote:
March 3, 2013, Sainan City, Central Tokyo region.

It was the first day where school activity resumed again in Japan as a whole. Sainan Junior High is no exception.

The freshmen were all gathered in the auditorium, as per usual tradition; the Principal is giving a paragraph or two regarding the vision and the mission of the school, or something like that. Only small portion giving worthy attention, the rest is either having their own thoughts, chatting, or even making some trouble.

But something caught their attention, for a surprise.

It was the announcement regarding the next schedule for aspiring pilot screening. Due to being literally hundreds of times larger than female counterpart, they’re not held in a few days, but literally almost everyday on a whole year.

It was necessary, or rather desperation measure. Ever since Meister Sasuga and Takatoshi Tsuda found as first and second generation I.S. pilot who have XY chromosome, it was frenzy. The world barely misses what considered a ‘modern feudal feminism’ situation where men are barely treated as slaves in the worst places, and oppressed in the better ones.

By barely, women are regarded a bit higher than men. But considering the sheer influence those ‘damned machine’, it could be worse. Much worse.

Every potential male pilot is conscripted, though with far, far larger rewards following. Which almost everyone agrees that it was worth the effort.

Third, fourth, fifth, sixth all missing their share, the seventh being Kotegawa Yuu, the eight once again missing, and the ninth being Motemitsu Taizou

The entire male pilot found so far are indeed, Japanese. Plenty of countries are losing hope, however, it’s seems that wind of change has come.

The next generations of male pilot were started with Australia, of all places, that announced their first male Cadet Representative, Len Elsie Jewelria.

This founding made the countries who have given up started their screening program again.

Ichika Orimura, 12 years old, however, is not interested with the slightest.

He wanted an easy life, and therefore, never hoping of strange occurrence such as being a male pilot or something.

Not much interesting about school today except for new friends. He is, however, annoyed, since the first question they asked always referring to his relationship with Orimura Chifuyu, who is his sister, and technically his legal guardian.

He had no parents; it was his sister who raised him. There’s also Shinonono family, but as of now, they have left under the protection of the government.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest