AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-09-05, 03:59   Link #81
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Maybe it has been answered elsewhere. But if the NerveGear intercepts all signals from the brain, how does it keep the body functioning. Recently i read an article about alcohol poisoning that stated that alcohol overdose kills because it depressed the autonomic breathing function, so the body "forgot" to breathe. If all signals are being intercepted, the body would die in 3 minutes. Tops.

Also, it's really the "game time" in sync with the "real time" I'm convinced it isn't, for the argument above and a the fact that so far the only deaths reported are people who got their helmets out by relatives and people who were killed by the game. Nobody has died of starvation/dehydration of their real body.
EnOfEridu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 04:10   Link #82
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post
Maybe it has been answered elsewhere. But if the NerveGear intercepts all signals from the brain, how does it keep the body functioning. Recently i read an article about alcohol poisoning that stated that alcohol overdose kills because it depressed the autonomic breathing function, so the body "forgot" to breathe. If all signals are being intercepted, the body would die in 3 minutes. Tops.

Also, it's really the "game time" in sync with the "real time" I'm convinced it isn't, for the argument above and a the fact that so far the only deaths reported are people who got their helmets out by relatives and people who were killed by the game. Nobody has died of starvation/dehydration of their real body.
Obviously you don't intercept ALL the signals. just the signals pertaining to the 5 senses of the body is enough. Also, isn't there something like IV for people in comatose so that they won't die?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 04:16   Link #83
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Also, isn't there something like IV for people in comatose so that they won't die?
I saw this answered elsewhere but i think it was from the LN (didn't read them myself so...) and i'm referring to the people that couldn't get care because of "reasons" (live alone, no relatives, you don't know where they are, public healthcare doesn't exist, etc...)
Old 2012-09-05, 04:26   Link #84
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
I saw this answered elsewhere but i think it was from the LN (didn't read them myself so...) and i'm referring to the people that couldn't get care because of "reasons" (live alone, no relatives, you don't know where they are, public healthcare doesn't exist, etc...)
Well Klein survived. The gov't must have done something. Or moreover, it's possible that they tracked everyone who bought SAO. It's safe to assume everyone is in their houses when they first opened SAO...unless you're crazy to connect to the internet on some damn place.
Old 2012-09-05, 08:03   Link #85
Adigard

Quote:
Considering potentially every single SAO subscriber is doing so from their home, it'd be fairly easy to find the vast majority of the subscriber pool. Please don't suggest you'd lay down on a bed and log into a MMO from inside a coffee shop or net cafe ^^

With that in mind it'd be fairly easy to find *most* everyone... and the people you didn't find, well, 2000 people died in the first two months, so there's a LOT of room for people to simply waste away because they logged in from a foreign country / an unlisted address / somewhere other than their registered address. Heck, the player's likely wouldn't even know why they died... they would feel full from eating in game.

It's fairly safe to assume Kayaba published the details of every single subscriber to the government before starting his 'tutorial', so it wouldn't take much to track down 'most' everyone in those first few hours.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 08:11   Link #86
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Honestly, I think that the posts regarding how SAO is fair should be placed here and not in the Episode threads. -_- sometimes they're quite repetitive...
Old 2012-09-05, 08:42   Link #87
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
It's fairly safe to assume Kayaba published the details of every single subscriber to the government before starting his 'tutorial', so it wouldn't take much to track down 'most' everyone in those first few hours.
Beyond that possibility, this is the sort of thing that would be incredibly major news. Not only would it have authorities checking bank records to see the billing addresses associated with credit cards used to purchase SAO, you'd have authorities making public appeals for people to check on friends/family that live alone and may have purchased SAO.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 09:45   Link #88
Clarste
Human

Or the government could just track the IP addresses of everyone connected to the server.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 10:08   Link #89
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Or the government could just track the IP addresses of everyone connected to the server.
Yeah, that's another possibility. Really, the point is that the government has a variety of means to use to locate everyone, including those that live alone, and would likely be utilizing all of them.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 10:14   Link #90
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Wild Speculation:

Maybe in the end it's a joint government conspiracy to put a lot of people in a controlled virtual environment an Kayaba is just a victim of it. The deaths at the beginning may be errors in the initial stages and now that they have corrected the bugs, just oversee everything. That would justify extensive and government funded health care.

Or maybe they're all batteries.
Old 2012-09-05, 10:39   Link #91
Adigard

Quote:
Wild Speculation:

Maybe in the end it's a joint government conspiracy to put a lot of people in a controlled virtual environment an Kayaba is just a victim of it.
Even if it didn't start that way, it's highly possible it would end that way... I'm fairly certain most any government would be very interested in that information once all was finished and the hostages managed to 'escape'.
Old 2012-09-05, 10:48   Link #92
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Wild Speculation:

Maybe in the end it's a joint government conspiracy to put a lot of people in a controlled virtual environment an Kayaba is just a victim of it. The deaths at the beginning may be errors in the initial stages and now that they have corrected the bugs, just oversee everything. That would justify extensive and government funded health care.

Or maybe they're all batteries.
:O Then what would be the REAL experiment? Creating an AI? Training ultra high responsive swordsmen? Creating killers willing to join wars? The possibilities are endless!
Old 2012-09-05, 11:24   Link #93
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Honestly, I think that the posts regarding how SAO is fair should be placed here and not in the Episode threads. -_- sometimes they're quite repetitive...
SAO as an MMORPG game could definitely be categorized as one of the fairer ones. But as a death-game, well, it really doesn't matter whether it's fair or not. Russian Roulette is fair that each player has equal chance to live or to die (assuming a perfectly random re-roll of the gun after each player and the game continues with new bullets even if a player is dead).

Basically even if it was originally a game with the fairest rules in all universe, the moment it becomes a death game then all that fairness lost their meaning. Is it possible to survive a perfect Russian Roulette like the one above? Very possible, but that possibility isn't gonna be any comfort if you have a huge gaping hole in your head.

At the very least though, even in SAO's case as a death game, I think it is "unfair" in the sense that it traps its participant there against their will. If everyone was given the knowledge of the death game beforehand and still plays it anyways and died as a result, they have no one but themselves to blame.

Personally, the problematic notion that I have with calling SAO in its current entirety as "fair" is that it implies the innocent victims who died as legitimate "losers", as inevitably exist in any fair game. And I can't sit really well with that.
Old 2012-09-05, 11:28   Link #94
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Let me raise another point, that i'm sure someone else has raised but i'm the lazy type.

Are we really, really sure that people who die "in game" die "in real life"? I mean, the system seems very closed, people inside have no ways to be contacted from the outside (so far, that is) so they only have the word of Kayaba about the fact that the game kills for real. That concern was also raised by a character in a previous ep, but everyone quickly dismissed.

Of course, nobody will try to test that theory because what if it's real? Of course the anime told us so in the end of EP 1, but can you really trust anime?
Old 2012-09-05, 12:01   Link #95
Clarste
Human

Well, from their perspective it doesn't really matter. It's like speculating on whether or not there's an afterlife. If there is, then that's great, but for most people that doesn't mean the best idea is to kill yourself.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 12:12   Link #96
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Well, from their perspective it doesn't really matter. It's like speculating on whether or not there's an afterlife. If there is, then that's great, but for most people that doesn't mean the best idea is to kill yourself.
But it would justify a storyline about a weird cult bent on "mass suicide" getting hold of SAO. And maybe the Laughling Coffin think themselves that they are doing a "charitable work" PK'ing people. (They don't, i'm sure of it, they seem driven by greed mostly, but you know, speculation)
Old 2012-09-05, 12:14   Link #97
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
:O Then what would be the REAL experiment? Creating an AI? Training ultra high responsive swordsmen? Creating killers willing to join wars? The possibilities are endless!
I don't see SAO being a plausible military project. For one, swords have been obsolete for centuries, and if by ultra high-responsive you mean, as in like dodging bullets or something, that is simply not physically possible due to limitations human reaction time and the human body.

As for creating killers, I suppose if you believed Akihiko was telling the truth, it might desensitize you to the idea of killing a person, but it wouldn't desensitize them to the act itself - there is no blood in SAO, the avatar disappears immediately, so you don't see or hear the person suffer before they die, no feeling of blood on your hands or smell of death, the body disappears immediately so there's no decay. Even in the most violent of real life video game is nothing to the feeling of actually killing or seeing someone die a violent death (That said, I have never seen or felt this, and I hope I never have to, but listen to any interview with a war veteran or something like that.).

Besides the point, the military actually does psychological screening to AVOID recruiting individuals with sociopathic or otherwise homicidal tendencies. The psych eval isn't perfect, and occasionally one gets through, but the point remains, a sociopath is a liability in the military as they could snap at any time and kill friendlies or civilians.

Finally, the military has, in real life, invested in video game-like simulators- There was one on display once for a Javelin missile that I actually used once, and I've seen fancier ones from other hand-held weapons, tanks, and jets, however, the point of these, and most likely any simulator in the SAO universe, would be for the familiarization of a soldier with the equipment without expending ammunition (especially if, as is the case with the Javelin missile, the ammunition is exceedingly expensive).

That said, if someone does something like the "Chronicles of Amusphere" fic idea posted a while ago (basically about various games for the Amusphere including sequels to IRL games), a military grade training simulator could be included, not to mention training simulators for other things that are expensive or dangerous to use, such civilian aircraft.

Although, I suppose some the AI technology featured in SAO could be useful for numerous purposes, both civilian and military.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 01:21   Link #98
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

btw, I forgot, did the anime told us how they simulate voice when you talk in-game?
Old 2012-09-08, 07:28   Link #99
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
btw, I forgot, did the anime told us how they simulate voice when you talk in-game?
Did not, but since we have voice comms today in most MMO's... it's probably not too much different.
Old 2012-09-08, 07:38   Link #100
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

In the episode 9 thread the conversation was drifting towards girls up at the front line. The SAO Nerve Gear from what I gather interact directly with the brain. Now recent studies have shown women and men of the same IQ actually do have different brain structures. Men have more grey matter (processors), whilst women have more white (interconnections).

So with this in mind do you think there would be any advantage between women and men? For example I think that women would have a tiny advantage since it doesn't matter how fast you can process if data gets bottled up at the interconnects, so I think that more white matter should be information flows quicker and therefore allowing the gears to interact quicker.

Link to a quick summary of the report