AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 195 43.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 18.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 60 13.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 7.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 4.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 2.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 1.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 5.30%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-26, 03:11   Link #161
jinnous

Uhhh....Well where should I begin?

Oh yes, Kanade. I never thought I'd see such a happy and cheerful Kanade (complete with humming and giggling) after 12 episodes of her emotionless epicness. It almost felt like I was watching a totally different person.

Secondly I found that Yusa was even MORE underplayed than the GirlDeMo crew (I can honestly count her appearances in the show with 1 hand)

Thirdly, the idea of "finding peace" just became something like a..."Time to go! *bloop*" thing. If you get what i mean...

Fourthly, did Kanade actually love Otonashi back in the end? Or did she just indirectly rejected him? I don't know, I am kinda dumb, so make it explicit! (Which I am sure a lot of us wouldn't mind seeing too.)

Lastly, I want to see New Kanade with the short hair.

Overall: Definitely something enjoyable for me. Although at times I felt like the time for this to develop totally wasn't enough. I mean, they had to rush the confession to the last 5-6 minutes of the show when they could have had 3-4 extra episodes to do it if they had the 24 episode slot. Personally I don't think OVA's will do the show/script justice, maybe do what they did with Air and Kanon and just REDO the entire show, again, with more episodes, and more explanation. Although such a task would be highly unlikely, one can only hope right? xD
Old 2010-06-26, 03:13   Link #162
Wigwams

btw anyone else noticed that kanade and yuzuru at the end were wearing a similar type of necklace (just different color)...

oh and the whole lights thing going up to the sky, it seems it is their soul? i noticed the light when kanade moved on...
Old 2010-06-26, 03:13   Link #163
CCLemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
And I thought Otonashi himself is the bug, since he is not supposed to come here since he's pretty much fulfilled the regrets of his life.
I just struck me that it was the cruelest irony ever to have Otonashi be the only one to enter the afterlife without regrets, yet end up as the ONLY CHARACTER left in the afterlife before the credits.

Is it just me, or would the ending have flowed a lot better had Kanade simply revealed her secret and the two of them passing on together after exchanging vows to see each other again?
Old 2010-06-26, 03:16   Link #164
CCLemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnous View Post
?
Fourthly, did Kanade actually love Otonashi back in the end? Or did she just indirectly rejected him? I don't know, I am kinda dumb, so make it explicit! (Which I am sure a lot of us wouldn't mind seeing too.)
It initially seemed to me that she was pushing Otonashi away, but then I realized that she wouldn't of asked him to say "I LOVE YOU" again if she didn't reciprocate his feelings.

So, I guess that she really did love him back, but rejected him in a way so both of them could pass on without being tied down by each other.
Old 2010-06-26, 03:17   Link #165
farios

Holy ****! What an unsatisfying ending!

-Everyone really acts out of character
-Takamtsu's strong will to break out from NPC really better to be shown than tell
-I really don't get why Yuri is so in denial in accepting that she has no regret anymore
-To be honest i really think OtonashixKanade pairing to be so much rushed like the anime, YuixHinata and YurixKanade(don't kill me) makes much more sense, oh and his crying voice really lame imo
-What was the point of Noda and the others again?
-MANY THINGS LEFT UNEXPLORED

I rewatched the anime all over again and i realized that this anime wasn't supposed to be rewatched, because you already know all that thing will just went away like crazy, and after the ep 6, you're no longer watching the same anime again.

Final words: I expected much more, goodbye AB i won't be missing you
Old 2010-06-26, 03:17   Link #166
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It would be OOC of Kanade. Basically, she is not the kind of girl that would go for the straight approach. That led to her being targeted by the SSS, a very big misunderstanding which should have been avoidable if she learned how to connect with them

@post above
Takamatsu must have snapped out of it, but it's not because he's strong; since the script containing the files for the shadows are destroyed, like rope frayed beyond support, they let go and Takamatsu was freed.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-06-26, 03:20   Link #167
thefeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

As Proto pointed out they at least managed to pick up the core themes they wanted to present nearing the last 3rd of the series but for me it only barely managed to salvage the series from being an utter travesty.
It would have made sense if that was what they were building up to the entire series, but no, the make up their mind for the direction of the show in the LAST EPISODE. That confession came from freaking outer space and ruined any chance the show had of redeeming itself.

Oh, and Yuri, Otonashi, and Tenshi were all out of character for the last episode. How stupid.
Old 2010-06-26, 03:21   Link #168
Namiey
is busy...
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Namiey
kanade is funny in this episode
Old 2010-06-26, 03:22   Link #169
kyosak
poo

This show had a high point? lol

Good thing I never saw anything in this series because that ending would of been a severe disappointment.
I do like what they did with Kanade though... Never would have guessed who she really was.

This show badly needed a 2nd season. Or more episodes this season. Or less characters. >.>
Old 2010-06-26, 03:26   Link #170
Wigwams

ahh... alot must have happened during the "after 3 days" to make their attitude change...

1) kanade might have loosened up alot
2) yuzuru might have fallen inlove even more
3) naoi and hinata might have done alot of reflection
etc etc... though not being shown just makes us wonder...
Old 2010-06-26, 03:27   Link #171
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
Well, i can understand that, but there wouldve been a little culture shock if that was made more apparent i guess. It just isnt the first thng id think to make sense of it all considering the circumstances.
Not sure why that is. I've always believed that the afterlife functioned outside of our mortal time.
Old 2010-06-26, 03:31   Link #172
Bombo
TSF Fans

kanade...I loooooooooooooooooooooove you <3
what a great episode..emotion...drama..comedy...
Angel beats 100000/10 !!!!!!!!!
I wish if there's S2.!
kanade X otonashi...and the song write from kanade funny lol. "eat before you die...mapo bofu " hahaha.,
Old 2010-06-26, 03:32   Link #173
firehawk12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Kanade never killed someone on a whim or with killing intent.
Also, she admits her Guard Skills are never made for offense, just like what the name suggests.

I think Kanade thought that she can find the person who has given her heart is by stabbing them straight into the chest. (There are no proofs for this, but this might be the reason why she ends up being an enemy.) That thought caused a misunderstanding which lasted for a long time.

Also, there is no god.
Otonashi believes the same thing, and Yuri has been proven wrong after seeing many proofs debunking her ideology within the series.

And I thought Otonashi himself is the bug, since he is not supposed to come here since he's pretty much fulfilled the regrets of his life.
I'll admit I erased as much of the Matrix ending of the last episode from my memory as I could, but who else would have a vested interest in "rebooting the program" other than some outside observer who is afraid that Love would create an unexpected paradise that would be intolerable?

Although, I might be able to see that Kanade randomly stabbed some person in the heart and that caused everyone to think she was insane but how does one even get to that point in the first place? Certainly she must have been there a long time to figure out how to manipulate the world with her computer, but that doesn't really explain how or why she becomes the emotionless Terminator robot we see at the beginning of the series.

I'm not sure Otonashi is an "accidental" glitch in the system. Then again, with the way the ending played out, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLemon View Post
I just struck me that it was the cruelest irony ever to have Otonashi be the only one to enter the afterlife without regrets, yet end up as the ONLY CHARACTER left in the afterlife before the credits.

Is it just me, or would the ending have flowed a lot better had Kanade simply revealed her secret and the two of them passing on together after exchanging vows to see each other again?
I think it's a rather fitting ending. Kanade stuck around because she had to wait for him, but since he has no regrets, I'm assuming he takes on the "Angel" mantel and decides to stick around to help other people move on before eventually moving on himself at some point in the future.

And yeah, the post-credits ending wasn't really necessarily... that was just "emotional" fanservice to keep the internet hate down.
Old 2010-06-26, 03:33   Link #174
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Here is what I and most others thought while watching this series.

Initial episodes
Me: It looks like a random gag comedy
Most others: Best anime ever

Mid-epiodes
Me: Wow, it's so rushed and the story is just a pile of random ideas from other shows.
Most others: Best anime ever

Last episodes
Me: Ok, this series failed
Most others: The ending will be the best ever

Final episode
Me: I knew it...
Most others: Disappoined...
Old 2010-06-26, 03:46   Link #175
RedWing

Holy character undevelopment batman!

Within two seconds 12 episodes of character development (the little there was) was dissolved into this long ridiculously stupid gag. What a way to end a series! We have this forced melodrama, with crying, and tears and oh I feel so sad. No chance.

Then we have the ending, which is just damn stupid. The idea that someone came up with this as an actual plotline is too preposterous to even contemplate. Is this Terminator? Why introduce this silly timeline mashup? Besides, are they telling me that someone who lost their legs in real life would have ended up with no legs? What if they donated their eyes? Wait, wait didn't Otanashi donate everything? So why does he only have no heart?

Maybe the end would have been somewhat dramatic if Otanashi hadn't just done the unthinkable. I'm preety sure entering into suicide pacts with no intention to go through with them is illegal - no it's immoral, unethical and a darn right dickish move. He deserved 1000 deaths for even coming up with that selfish deception. His crying at the end was silly - if he was believed even a micron of the bull that came from his mouth he would've just moved on, but instead we're treated to this scene that is somehow supposed to be emotional. Don't make me laugh.

The actual epilogue makes no sense to me.
Old 2010-06-26, 03:54   Link #176
Gono

They are all in comas. This spirit world is actually doesn't contain any dead people at all, by accepting their life they then wake up and after having such a strange dream, don't believe it. Then chance meetings occur and season 2 takes place in the real world.
Old 2010-06-26, 04:07   Link #177
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gono View Post
They are all in comas. This spirit world is actually doesn't contain any dead people at all, by accepting their life they then wake up and after having such a strange dream, don't believe it. Then chance meetings occur and season 2 takes place in the real world.
How can they all be in Coma when Yuzuru gave up his heart? I'm sure he is pretty much dead.
-----------------------------

(I hope I don't get burned to the cross for this ) I'm not really disappointed for watching this series even though there was many unanswered questions. I didn't really expect anything when I watch shows so I'm not too disappointed. Actually, I watched the episode where Noai was the class president first before watching episode one and it was entertaining. This series was always entertaining to watch every episode so I'm glad I saw it. Plus I get to see one of my favorite chracters in action Yurripe in the series and how she progressed. I'm glad she was not considered a Haruhi (don't get me wrong Haruhi is a cool chracter too) personality wise. It shows you can change a characters looks to a new level. I had some laughs in too so once again I'm glad I saw the series despite a lot of inconsistances especially the ending where Kande had Yuzuru's heart.

The ending could have been worst. Cough Cough: Eureka Seven
Old 2010-06-26, 04:14   Link #178
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gono View Post
Then chance meetings occur and season 2 takes place in the real world.
And maybe then without all the Lost-like elements it might actually be good.
Old 2010-06-26, 04:18   Link #179
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

if anybody complain about undeveloped character. i susgest go read track zero LN or heaven gate manga because it explain SSS before otonashi appearance. so it explain many hing like creation of SSS and other members back story (yes, it official and written by jun maeda)
Old 2010-06-26, 04:20   Link #180
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
if anybody complain about undeveloped character. i susgest go read track zero LN or heaven gate manga because it explain SSS before otonashi appearance. so it explain many hing like creation of SSS and other members back story (yes, it official and written by jun maeda)
And that's all well and good.

It's doesn't excuse the anime for being a narrative mess, though.
Closed Thread