AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-12-01, 20:56   Link #101
Suomi
Kaiba

IE just plain sucks, imo. At least for me, it's slow and unruly, and it crashes/doesn't respond more often than it works.
Opera I've used before , it's decent, but not my favorite. Don't really have a lot to say about it.
Firefox! I love firefox to death! It's fast, has a bookmarks bar that I like, can be personalized, doesn't crash as often as IE (rarely crashes actually), and it's where I have all my stuff.
Chrome is annoying because I can't find the menus anywhere, and it's horrific to navigate. The only thing I use it for is Incognito (for when I'm supposed to be doing stuff like homework but am on asuki or some such), and when firefox isn't working.
Old 2010-12-02, 05:11   Link #102
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Yeah, it has bad implentation of Hardware Acceleration. It litterally hogs memory and is just bad, speed-wise.
Which version are you using (32/64/win/linux/etc). Actually the nightly-builds from the beginning of last week aren't that bad, no more (or less) flash problems with the 64bit version on windows. Not sure about the 32 bit builds, but the 64bit versions are getting better and more stable.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 05:21   Link #103
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Not sure about the 32 bit builds, but the 64bit versions are getting better and more stable.
Thanks. Links for x64 builds please.
Old 2010-12-02, 05:29   Link #104
Sides

Quote:
Thanks. Links for x64 builds please.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../latest-trunk/
Nightly builds are updated almost daily, once you have it running, just go to the menu -> about and it will update it.
remember to get the Adobe Flash Player "Square" if you want flash support
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 13:52   Link #105
seiftis
~defying fate

I don't know why... but seems like I'm the only one not preferring FireFox. I tried it when I used my friend's laptop before, but stayed on Opera/Chrome on my own laptop.
Old 2010-12-02, 17:39   Link #106
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiftis View Post
I don't know why... but seems like I'm the only one not preferring FireFox. I tried it when I used my friend's laptop before, but stayed on Opera/Chrome on my own laptop.
Because NoScript is the best thing to happen to the internet ever, and until another browser supports I wouldn't consider changing .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 17:53   Link #107
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Because NoScript is the best thing to happen to the internet ever, and until another browser supports I wouldn't consider changing .
Opera has a Noscript extension.
Chrome also has a NoScriopt extension.
Old 2010-12-02, 18:29   Link #108
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I've never tried Opera tbh , though I might consider it since has support for NoScript I wasn't aware it did.

Though for Chrome I disliked layout/navigation of it and I heard google has supposedly "tweaked" NoScript on Chrome so that it wouldn't block their Ads [or at least not by default] and possibly hurt their income , if anyone has knowledge of Chrome's NoScript I am curious if that rumor is true or not.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 06:58   Link #109
Nihokon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I've never tried Opera tbh , though I might consider it since has support for NoScript I wasn't aware it did.

Though for Chrome I disliked layout/navigation of it and I heard google has supposedly "tweaked" NoScript on Chrome so that it wouldn't block their Ads [or at least not by default] and possibly hurt their income , if anyone has knowledge of Chrome's NoScript I am curious if that rumor is true or not.
NoScript wasn't created to block ads in the first place...
And there's an AdBlock extension for chrome.

Last edited by Nihokon; 2010-12-05 at 09:45. Reason: you can guess.
Nihokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 09:08   Link #110
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukahana View Post
NoScript wasn't created to block ads in the first place...
And there's an AdBlock for extension chrome.
The point is that it blocks scripts which is what google uses to deliver their adverts which is why the blocking of any google scripts is not allowed on the chrome version of NoScript plus the chrome version of adblock is complete and utter pants as well.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 10:04   Link #111
Nihokon

At least there were no google ads displayed when I used google chrome with adblock installed without NoScript.

I don't use chrome pretty often btw. I'm one of those firefox faithful followers.
Nihokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 13:32   Link #112
Fuyuhotaru

woah I use Opera but didn't know theres a noscript for Opera
i don't know about others or its only mai laptop but Opera is not so flash friendly
Old 2010-12-05, 15:32   Link #113
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You got it the other way around: the latest flash is not so Opera friendly. Also, it's not just Opera. In the order of fail: Firefox, Opera and Chrome all have the flash hic-ups lately. Unless it's youtube or some other video site, I just open Chrome for anything flash. My friends as well. That being said, problems seem to manifest in all flash content if the page (and implicitly the browser) are left open for long periods of time...

Hopefully it will be fixed in the next version... (can't say this is the first time in history flash has become unstable).
Old 2010-12-06, 01:00   Link #114
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

try flash 10.2 beta... It seems to work better for FF
Old 2010-12-06, 17:26   Link #115
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Why thanks, this could be the turning point here.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 17:47   Link #116
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
try flash 10.2 beta... It seems to work better for FF
Thanks, but since I'm building some stuff in Air rather not risk messing with it.
Old 2010-12-06, 18:56   Link #117
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I've used IE for years, one of the older versions (I wanna say at least IE 7, but I can't recall it off the top of my head). I've never had major issues with it despite how it seems to be viewed as one of the worst browsers. Probably my only main complaint is the downloading/uploading speed.

Recently switched over to Chrome, and after getting over my initial OMGWTFSOSHINY reaction, I have to admit thus far I've preferred it to IE, especially in terms of speed. I still have IE installed on my system as back-up, but currently Chrome is my default browser.

I've used Firefox at work, but for some reason I've never been especially sold on it.
Old 2010-12-06, 19:09   Link #118
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I've been using Firefox for so many years I'm just really used to it.

Really serious browser question: does anyone know of an Android browser that allows for a full-screen landscape keyboard (the upper section with the "Go" button) in Android 2.2? The stock browser REMOVES this very helpful upper section in favor of allowing you to see the page in landscape view. The problem with this is the soft keyboard will block page elements, frequently those you are trying to type in!
Old 2010-12-06, 19:49   Link #119
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I've used Firefox at work, but for some reason I've never been especially sold on it.
It used to be these were your only options you would hear about: IE6, Firefox and Opera. Opera was the first to come up with such things as "tabbed browsing" and undoing closed tabs; but was Ad supported, as in you had to pay to get rid of the Ads. So many people shun away from it. The now popular Google Chrome did not even exist back then...

Firefox in the 1.x series was one big mess, however, it was the first browser to support Extensions. Compared to IE6 it was brilliant, and compared to other browser it was decent/good. With the added flare of being Open Source (which to this day people don't seem to comprehend what it means), and surrounded by hype and good publicity, all 95% of people at the time knew was Firefox/IE6, and that's about it.

Since we web developers like developing in the most technically advanced browser we can get our dirty little hands on, at the time there was no choice but to develop in Firefox. To put it simply, the word "standards" did not exist back then, and as far as the majority was concerned, Firefox was pushing forward with all it's nonsense extensions to CSS and the like.

In 2.x Firefox was pretty much at it's peak. Because websites were being built in Firefox and then later tested in other browsers, Firefox became a sort of de facto standard browser, where whatever it looked in Firefox, was the correct way for "half" the internet, and IE6 covered the other (so called) "half". This lead to many flocking to firefox (either via publicity on the sites, or "best viewed in" banners - which can still be seen on some sites today).

Now, Firefox is feeling the backlash of that success. The programing world has moved forward from cryptic disorganized development, to more clear cut standardized ways. Consequently web development has also. Thus Firefox which since the start of the 3.x series has been in a ever deeper dive, and in the upcoming 4.x series doesn't look any better, is slowly loosing the flair it once had. I don't think I've seen a "firefox is the fastest/best in [...]" article in ages, while every other browser has had their fair share of technological advancement.

The reason firefox is so hyped up and everywhere is because it still has many users. And, the reason why you still see many "firefox users" is because of "first browser" syndrome. To give a comparison, the browser Netscape which was the first "alternative browser" to go against Microsoft's IE, was effectively killed ("scrapped") at some point when Firefox 1.x was becoming popular, however many users still continued to use the browser to until effectively every official download link was erased from the web. People just like the first browser that impresses them.... It's a sort of "first good impression", it's also annoying to some to adapt to even minor differences.

You know what they say: "passing knowledge though speech". Well, it's sort of the same things. People will continue to use old wording to describe Firefox even though the original (valid) context is long since dead.
Old 2010-12-07, 00:00   Link #120
monster

Quote:
the browser Netscape which was the first "alternative browser" to go against Microsoft's IE
It's the other way around. That's why the word "Mozilla" is included in IE's user agent string.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews