AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 49 28.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 23.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 26.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 12.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.59%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-04, 01:17   Link #261
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
A few more things I noticed in the rewatchings of episode one:

- Subaru manages to crash through a glass window without a scratch. I would assume that her outfit is therefore her Barrier Jacket and can easily take such abuse.

- I'm not sure how far Velka-style magic is accepted in the TSAB back during the time of A's, but they're certainly very much accepted now. However, regarding the cartridge system, I would say that the TSAB were definitely aware of it at the time of A's and had some in stock, entirely because they could install it onto Raising Heart and Bardiche and provide them with enough "ammunition"; also, RH and Bardiche asked for the cartridge systems by serial numbers, which were recognizable by Amy, at the very least.

- Subaru's Divine Buster implies that spells with different methods of execution (and even different sources of magic) can share the same name.

- At the end, when Nanoha casts her spell to create the net, there's a Velka-style triangle below it. I would guess that Nanoha made the net, and Reinforce Zwei made the foam pillars; not only do the colours correspond, but when Nanoha "shut off" her magic, the net disappeared but the pillars and the Velka triangle remained, and when Reinforce Zwei closed her book, the pillars (and presumably the triangle) disappeared.

- I'm still not used to the trio of Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate being the "wise experienced mentors". It seemed like just yesterday that they were kids...
Old 2007-04-04, 01:27   Link #262
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidou View Post
Different taste and standards i guess.
I understand what you mean but what type of anime they prefer affect it.
Hmmm, I'm not really talking about the type of anime - even if you
are watching your favourite genre, episodes can vary in quality.
'Perfect' implies the episode could not have been any better than it was.

Even as a Nanoha/action shounen fan, I can see lots of ways that
episode 1 could have been better.

The few times in my life I saw episodes that I thought were 'perfect'
(at least at the time), I was literally awestruck, and could not imagine
any way they could be improved upon.

Last edited by BatAttack; 2007-04-04 at 01:40.
Old 2007-04-04, 01:37   Link #263
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
A few more things I noticed in the rewatchings of episode one:

- Subaru manages to crash through a glass window without a scratch. I would assume that her outfit is therefore her Barrier Jacket and can easily take such abuse.
- Agreed. Maybe it was confusing to some about the added skirt attachments showed in the previews were absent at first but they should be getting them any time now. Mages of Midchilda generally do not enter battle without Barrier Jackets. The appearance of their BJs are decided by the owner.

Quote:
- At the end, when Nanoha casts her spell to create the net, there's a Velka-style triangle below it. I would guess that Nanoha made the net, and Reinforce Zwei made the foam pillars; not only do the colours correspond, but when Nanoha "shut off" her magic, the net disappeared but the pillars and the Velka triangle remained, and when Reinforce Zwei closed her book, the pillars (and presumably the triangle) disappeared.
- Fate and Hayate were also casting shock absorber spells from the helicopter.

Quote:
- I'm still not used to the trio of Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate being the "wise experienced mentors". It seemed like just yesterday that they were kids...
- Doesn't detract from their appeal though. But I must admit that a 10-year jump is really quite jarring. The StrikerS manga and the recent Sound Stage was able to partially absorb the shock quite nicely though.
Old 2007-04-04, 01:37   Link #264
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatAttack View Post
Hmmm, I'm not really talking about the type of anime - even if you
are watching your favourite genre, episodes can vary in quality.
'Perfect' implies the episode could not have been any better than it was.

Even as a Nanoha/action shounen fan, I can see lot's of ways that
episode 1 could have been better.

The few times in my life I saw episodes that I thought were 'perfect'
(at least at the time), I was literally awestruck, and could not imagine
any way they could be improved upon.
Fanboyism has reached a long way. Anime wouldn't be the way it is today without that degree of bias. Attachment, alongside anticipation often clouds the more rational side of perception. Granted, I do not like seeing slews of 10 either even if I can somewhat understand their perception of it, but it's just the way things are.

I bet a beach episode would have loads of 10s, even if beach episodes are technically undeserving of a 10 when looked at the scale, epic-ness, intergration of multiple aspects, build-up, etc.

Technically, had Fate, Nanoha, and Hayate for example been "new" characters, I'd argue very few would go so far to give it a 10. Had Zwei been a male, well...less I say the better.

Though my opinions mean jack, really since half my ratings for this episode were contributed by my mecha fanboyism of Subaru's skills. :P

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-04-04, 01:39   Link #265
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Yah, also the fact that in the OP animation she transforms from a (sensible) military uniform into a (silly) funky stylin' non-uniform makes it fairly evident it is her Barrier Jacket.

I wonder why only the regular TSAB enforcers have the standardised black greatcoat style Barrier Jackets (similar to Chrono's), and these spunky kids get to have custom Barrier Jackets... oh, no I don't, it's because they are main characters.
Old 2007-04-04, 01:42   Link #266
raidou
Confused person

Send a message via MSN to raidou
I was trying to say something like that Bat , sorry my English is pretty horrible.I mean people tend to be biased though, if they are a hardcore fan of a show they usually overlook some aspect that could be better.

Quote:
- Subaru's Divine Buster implies that spells with different methods of execution (and even different sources of magic) can share the same name.
Yep check out YnS starlight breaker , there is different magic circle under her when it is casting.Although Subaru's broken magnum name could be just because she idolized Nanoha and wanted to copy her.
Old 2007-04-04, 01:58   Link #267
raidou
Confused person

Send a message via MSN to raidou
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatAttack View Post
Yah, also the fact that in the OP animation she transforms from a (sensible) military uniform into a (silly) funky stylin' non-uniform makes it fairly evident it is her Barrier Jacket.

I wonder why only the regular TSAB enforcers have the standardised black greatcoat style Barrier Jackets (similar to Chrono's), and these spunky kids get to have custom Barrier Jackets... oh, no I don't, it's because they are main characters.
Because they are regular people duh not some special kids , j/k... They might have changed some rules/uniform in TSAB, it is been 10 years.Since Nanoha and gang are leaders now , probably their suggestion lol

sorry double post , how the heck i delete post
Old 2007-04-04, 02:03   Link #268
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidou View Post
I was trying to say something like that Bat , sorry my English is pretty horrible.I mean people tend to be biased though, if they are a hardcore fan of a show they usually overlook some aspect that could be better.
No problems, languages are tough.

Regarding bias, I'm the opposite - it is BECAUSE I like the first two seasons of Nanoha so much that I want this third season to be even better.
For that reason, second rate plot/drama isn't going to cut it for me - not for a high score, anyway.

Quote:
Yep check out YnS starlight breaker , there is different magic circle under her when it is casting.Although Subaru's broken magnum name could be just because she idolized Nanoha and wanted to copy her.
In the case of YnS, it's kind of like the same program being run on a different operating system (was a recompile necessary?).

In the case of Subaru, I think she hacked together her own spell (based on principles she was taught at TSAB academy) and called it 'Divine Buster' out of pure idol worship. It looks similar in style, but it seems to have different operational properties (like power dispersal over distance).
Old 2007-04-04, 04:17   Link #269
Nanohafied

Read my name!!!haha

Just watched finished ep1 1 min ago!!! cant stop to luv it!!!!so cool the new weapon system...shows how upgraded the TSAB has becomed...guns, rollers and gloves WOW!!!!

Luving the new duo, ns combo close range n middle...onli need to add NANOHA then its complete...haha

Btw, does any1 find it weird tat jus within 4 years Subaru grown from a small kid to a fine young lady???jus wondering...cant wait for more!!!!!
Old 2007-04-04, 04:32   Link #270
Nanohafied

Real sorry for double posting...but i need to ask some1 where is the manga thread for NANOHA i cant find it..can some1 help me pls
Old 2007-04-04, 05:08   Link #271
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanohafied
Btw, does any1 find it weird tat jus within 4 years Subaru grown from a small kid to a fine young lady???jus wondering...cant wait for more!!!!!
One word, hormones.

She was 11 years old at the airport, from then to 15 years old there's alot of development.

Quote:
Real sorry for double posting...but i need to ask some1 where is the manga thread for NANOHA i cant find it..can some1 help me pls
Over here, we like to call it "Nanoha Manga Discussion" Thread , you can find it 6 threads below this one...
Old 2007-04-04, 05:09   Link #272
Key Board
Carbon

I'm quite sure it will be Hayate who forces Subaru and Teana to wear those Nanoha style jackets

Nanoha doesn't care much about appearances, but Hayate is a dress up freak.. and she has rank
Old 2007-04-04, 05:14   Link #273
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I'm quite sure it will be Hayate who forces Subaru and Teana to wear those Nanoha style jackets
I highly doubt Subaru would object to wearing something similar to Nanoha's So she won't need much convincing.

Not too sure about Teana, but she doesn't seem to be the type who disobey an order from a superior.

Quote:
Nanoha doesn't care much about appearances, but Hayate is a dress up freak.. and she has rank
I seriously can't stop picturing Hayate as Haruhi...
Old 2007-04-04, 05:17   Link #274
Woden

Just of curiosity, can we hold off on forcing the older characters into the "wise mentor" role? It's been one episode, it isn't really fair to start judging from there. Plus, based on the OP it seems that they will be getting plenty of action.
Old 2007-04-04, 05:22   Link #275
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Liked the first episode, was really anticipating Subaru meeting Nanoha at the end, since you just knew that was coming. She got to meet her savior and idol again.
Old 2007-04-04, 05:27   Link #276
JediNight
キズランダム

So how do those rankings go anyways? Nanoha is listed as S+ and Hayate is shown as SSS. Hayate can't possibly be more powerful than our dear Nanoha, can she?

Otherwise I claim she's cheating, because she has 4 familiars, an intelligent device, unison device, and 1 other thing? =D
Old 2007-04-04, 05:31   Link #277
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
So how do those rankings go anyways? Nanoha is listed as S+ and Hayate is shown as SSS. Hayate can't possibly be more powerful than our dear Nanoha, can she?

Otherwise I claim she's cheating, because she has 4 familiars, an intelligent device, unison device, and 1 other thing? =D
Hayate is part Lost Logia, yo. It is fully justified that she would have such a high magic ranking.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-04, 05:35   Link #278
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
One word, hormones.

She was 11 years old at the airport, from then to 15 years old there's alot of development.
But in the pre-StrikerS manga, when Subaru me Teana she said she was 13, and Teana 14

....Is there somekind of mix up anywhere?
Old 2007-04-04, 05:42   Link #279
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

@JediNight & Skane

Before you two over-glorify Hayate, just to point out one mistake: Hayate's SS, not SSS.

There, I said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
But in the pre-StrikerS manga, when Subaru me Teana she said she was 13, and Teana 14

....Is there somekind of mix up anywhere?
Okay... There's always a reasonable explaination for all of this ( quote from 'P.A.N.I.C.') ...

Perhaps like her barrier jacket and their magic rank and weapons, they haven't reached to the point where the official information said they are. So for now, maybe they haven't reach 15/16 yet, but during the course of the series, it'll come to that point.
Old 2007-04-04, 05:42   Link #280
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woden View Post
Just of curiosity, can we hold off on forcing the older characters into the "wise mentor" role? It's been one episode, it isn't really fair to start judging from there. Plus, based on the OP it seems that they will be getting plenty of action.
However we can not allow Nanoha trio to go on all or even most of the mission, else there will be no chance for the new stars to shine. Still it very be very interesting to see how the producers balance all this out.
Closed Thread