AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2008-03-20, 05:59   Link #321
Paul
Bakka Baka!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbou View Post
Well i'm glad he did became a parent...altought 5 years are to long. If i would be in Tomoya's situation i would take care of my child with all my heart when the mother is dead...

Cause you know nagisa gave up her life for that child, so it would be awful to not take care of the child at all.
Spoiler for will spoil you less than the above post :D:
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 11:39   Link #322
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Whoa, not only is Tomoya different in the movie, Nagisa is totally different too!

Whereas Tomoya is the one pulling Nagisa up the hill in the series, Nagisa is the one pushing Tomoya up in the movie (metaphorically speaking). Movie Nagisa doesn't need Tomoya to give her confidence; she is already super-confident and not shy in the least o_O

Also, did anyone notice how Nagisa was saying "Tomoya-san" by the 2nd or 3rd time she met him in the movie? In the series, it's already episode 21, they're essentially an item, and she's STILL calling him Okazaki-san

But shy Nagisa is still cute ^^. Facial expressions are better animated in the series.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 12:47   Link #323
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Whoa, not only is Tomoya different in the movie, Nagisa is totally different too!

Whereas Tomoya is the one pulling Nagisa up the hill in the series, Nagisa is the one pushing Tomoya up in the movie (metaphorically speaking). Movie Nagisa doesn't need Tomoya to give her confidence; she is already super-confident and not shy in the least o_O
This is actually why the plot is super cranky to me: what was the point and the need for Tomoya to help Nagisa? Considering her "personality" in the movie, she would be super popular in no time.
But no, she is just blankly asking help, despite she is rather a "normal girl".
Quote:
Also, did anyone notice how Nagisa was saying "Tomoya-san" by the 2nd or 3rd time she met him in the movie? In the series, it's already episode 21, they're essentially an item, and she's STILL calling him Okazaki-san
Yes, that's what i ranted quickly in my first post. Even if we put that aside (as it might look "natural", with nagisa "totally different personality), she is using it from start to finish.
Using such line is hardly fitting nagisa, be it original or "movie", especially after being married with Tomoya and delivering Ushio.

No developments, nor chemistry/relationship progression whatsoever.
Old 2008-03-20, 13:18   Link #324
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
This is actually why the plot is super cranky to me: what was the point and the need for Tomoya to help Nagisa? Considering her "personality" in the movie, she would be super popular in no time.
Because it is a side she only shows to him. Specifically, because it is him. She still expresses a reason why she cannot climb the hill and he gives her that reason to do so.

She barely interacts with any of the other characters in the movie (during that phase), but it is likely she wouldn't be as open to them as she is to Tomoya.
Old 2008-03-20, 17:18   Link #325
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narumi View Post
Because it is a side she only shows to him. Specifically, because it is him. She still expresses a reason why she cannot climb the hill and he gives her that reason to do so.
True, but it's as if the movie is only paying 'lip service' to that side of Nagisa. She says she's unconfident and needs him and only him, but her actions speak otherwise.

If anything, it would seem like Movie!Nagisa set her eyes on Tomoya from the very beginning. Her feelings don't need to develop because they're already there. So I tend to agree with Klashikari on this: there's no character development for Nagisa. She's static in the movie, a paragon of all things good and pure, an 'idol' for Okazaki.

Only Okazaki changes and develops in the movie.

That said, I still loved the movie's plot. I just wish Nagisa was less surreal and static.
Old 2008-03-20, 23:01   Link #326
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
There's no character development for Nagisa. She's static in the movie, a paragon of all things good and pure, an 'idol' for Okazaki.

Only Okazaki changes and develops in the movie.
Agreed.

But that's how I took the movie... as an exploration of Okazaki and his own character shift and final redemption. Everyone else just served as a catalyst, even Nagisa. While having her also develop would have been nice, it's probably not possible within 1 hour and 33 minutes, and so the focus was on Okazaki and his discovery of 'family.'
Old 2008-03-21, 07:44   Link #327
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Spoiler for reply/comment:
hell yea thats one hell of a trip to hellish despair for me
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 15:26   Link #328
Solafighter
Hige

Very beautifull movie..

Mh im not sure, if its a sad, or happy ending, cause..

Spoiler for CLANNAD film:

Anyway, great movie.
Old 2008-03-21, 15:54   Link #329
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Mh im not sure, if its a sad, or happy ending, cause..
Spoiler for Clannad Movie vis-à-vis game:

Bleh, I've adopted a habit of saying "Nagisa" and "Okazaki", just like how they call each other in the serial adaptation. I like the surname Okazaki; it reminds me of DNA replication and such. Hmm, Okazaki getting spliced into little fragments, cloned, and ligated back together...

By the way, isn't Nagisa a great dancer in the movie?
Old 2008-03-23, 03:33   Link #330
LightElf7

Quote:

Bleh, I've adopted a habit of saying "Nagisa" and "Okazaki", just like how they call each other in the serial adaptation. I like the surname Okazaki; it reminds me of DNA replication and such. Hmm, Okazaki getting spliced into little fragments, cloned, and ligated back together...
Yay, Okazaki Fragments in DNA replication! Now thats a nice Bio-Anime analogy.

Well I know the movie's general storyline, but does anyone know where I can watch it? I saw it on youtube a few days ago (in raw jaoanese, no sub), but I dont seem to be able to find it anymore....can someone plz help?
LightElf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 03:44   Link #331
Joachim
et tu, brute?

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1024.html

or just search clannad movie in animesuki main page search function cheers
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 07:44   Link #332
Blaat

Now that the show is done I decided to check out the movie. Oddly enough I find it both weaker and superior to the TV show (even though the show isn't done, technically speaking, maybe there's going to be a second series).
The weaker parts are the Dango family song (TV version sounds better), the humour is badly executed and not really funny at all and not enough development, last one I forgive because its the limitation of the medium.

On the other hand the fact that there's no 'pointless' harem element like in the TV show which makes the movie feel more to the point and also refreshing.

Ah well I really enjoyed the movie.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 08:03   Link #333
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

When i think about the movie, and how for me it's a complete version --- it's just something i don't think Kyoani can compete against. The story telling in the movie was at it's total best, just like the AIR movie.

& god dammit some of those scenery shots were out of this world. There was a good reason as to why there's so many of them.
Old 2008-03-23, 16:08   Link #334
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
The weaker parts are the Dango family song (TV version sounds better), the humour is badly executed and not really funny at all and not enough development, last one I forgive because its the limitation of the medium.

On the other hand the fact that there's no 'pointless' harem element like in the TV show which makes the movie feel more to the point and also refreshing.
Agreed on the humor and development, but still I really enjoyed the movie. I keep hearing CLANNAD game was written with the family theme in mind and I really got that from the movie. I still felt like Nagisa was shy and unconfident in the movie, but that Okazaki somehow gave her the confidence needed to go create and perform a play on her own. The big downside is of course that we don't really see what it is about Okazaki that would give her that confidence. In the TV series, we get that from her first meeting, he responds to her little monologue and tells her to come on up the hill and from there he supports her and shows interest in her. In the movie we are kinda left to wonder why - maybe she's attracted to/encouraged by him because he seems disconnected from school like she is, etc.

But for me, it's a fair trade-off -
Spoiler for After Story made the movie for me!:

I still like the TV series' animation better, I think we've had more time to see real development overall, and I like a lot of the other female characters (who didn
t really get much of a role in the movie), but definitely enjoyed the movie.
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 21:29   Link #335
Shizzon
MEDIC!!

Location: Somewhere where anime is real and I watch reality on TV
Send a message via AIM to Shizzon
i enjoyed watching the movie, i waited until the series had ended before i watched it though. but i have to say that the character roles the everyone played was way different then those of the series.
kotomi not hiding in the library
tomoyo and kyou working together and not killing sunohara
fuko never appeared.....*sob*
but nagisa and tomoya had the biggest difference and after the end i was pretty happy with the ending
Shizzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 00:00   Link #336
lubczyk

Anyone know where I can find external English subtitles for Clannad The Movie? It seems that I've only got the RAW.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 05:53   Link #337
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Anyone know where I can find external English subtitles for Clannad The Movie? It seems that I've only got the RAW.
Softsubs, you mean? I don't know. But for hardsubs, *points up*
Old 2008-03-25, 23:04   Link #338
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

First off:
Quote:
Spoiler for Clannad Movie vis-à-vis game:
Spoiler for Reply:

----------

So, I ended up "watching" the movie though some blogs.

I may really watch it in the future, but for now, here are my thoughts:

The series' animation quality is superior. Judging from screenshots, the only way the quality can exceed KyoAni's is if it flowed like the series' Illusionary World scenes (24 unique fps). Also, LOL at that scene where they're like in cherry blossom heaven. I can't comment on the BGM.

And so they changed the characters' personalities and roles... The only ones I can properly comment on are Kyou and Kotomi. I'll post on the other characters later if I end up watching it. So:

Kyou - why is she helping Tomoyo? Since Ryou doesn't appear to exist, I believe they cut out her being the "loving and dependabe onee-chan". She also doesn't call everyone by their first names. Also,
Spoiler for Kyou, containing info from the game:

Kotomi - choir conductress? Bad cameo. They should at least have shown her reading some books, or giving some kind of scientific speech/lecture, or maybe playing the violin .

And so they crammed in Nagisa's school life scenario and AS, resulting in something COMPLETELY different from what Clannad is. I understand that 90 minutes wont be able to properly cover the entire story, but at least they could've stuck closer to the source than just pulling out characters and inserting them into an alternate universe of sorts; or maybe give it a subtitle or disclaimer that states that its plot =/= the game's plot.

Plus, apparently, they skipped some of the BEST scenes in AS, and they never resolved Tomoya's problems with his father.

Well, as many have said, it's a good movie if you don't know anything about Clannad; nice, but a little irritating at times if you have watched the anime; epic fail if you have played the game, IMO. Maybe if I would actually watch it, my impression would improve? Or should I avoid it like the plague?
Old 2008-03-26, 06:37   Link #339
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
The series' animation quality is superior. Judging from screenshots, the only way the quality can exceed KyoAni's is if it flowed like the series' Illusionary World scenes (24 unique fps).

Kyou - why is she helping Tomoyo? Since Ryou doesn't appear to exist, I believe they cut out her being the "loving and dependabe onee-chan". She also doesn't call everyone by their first names. Also,
Spoiler for Kyou, containing info from the game:

Maybe if I would actually watch it, my impression would improve? Or should I avoid it like the plague?
I think you should watch the movie and enjoy it in its own right. Even though the plot might be somewhat lacking, it managed to wrap up Nagisa's story as well as possible within 90 minutes. The movie is quite atmospheric: it feels different from the anime and game, dark and foreboding except for a few minutes in the middle (romance) and the very end (Ushio). Even the school life section is peppered with 'moments' from Tomoya's dark future.

So yes, I enjoyed the movie. Now to comment on the negatives...

The animation is passable but somewhat artificial. Too many special effects, lighting effects and odd angles in my opinion. Nagisa doesn't walk properly but rather drifts and flutters about in a dreamy sort of way. Sometimes, the screen is split in two to show two characters, which looks a bit cheap. And the occasionally magnified/distorted faces of Akio and Yuusuke don't do their appearance any favours. KyoAni's animation is just a lot more... natural.

If you liked Kyou or Tomoyo, the movie would be an absolute disaster. They really don't serve any purpose at all in the movie. Enough said about their campaign collaboration. What I found odd was... suddenly, without any development or explanation, they're Sunohara's best friends in the After Story
Old 2008-03-27, 07:43   Link #340
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Spoiler for TV & Movie:
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, movie, romance, school life, seinen, toei