AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-30, 14:16   Link #201
IchiSenna999

i've only watched the anime, but i have a few questions about the ending, or rather what happened after the ending.
there's spoilers in my question so i marked it spoilers (i'm new here so i'm not sure if i'm supposed to do that...)

Spoiler for title:

all in all, i found the ending very dissapointing (kinda anit-climactical) and i felt like it should have had one more episode to tie everything up. and the last twelve episodes all seemed too rushed...i never got to know any of the new characters (near, mello, their agents, Takada, the American president, etc). i also found it kind of weird that
Spoiler for not really, but w/e:
Old 2007-09-30, 14:33   Link #202
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiSenna999 View Post

Spoiler for title:

Spoiler for not really, but w/e:
Spoiler for manga aftermath spoilers:

As for Misa, she is shown in the final episode of Death Note, and you should be able to tell how things played out for her by her brief appearance.
Spoiler for Amane Misa's fate in the anime/manga:

Spoiler for Mello:
Old 2007-09-30, 14:46   Link #203
IchiSenna999

alright thanks a bunch, you solved most of my problems

but
Spoiler for the rest of my problems:
Old 2007-09-30, 16:06   Link #204
Echoes

Spoiler for manga aftermath stuff:
Old 2007-09-30, 18:39   Link #205
IchiSenna999

alright thanks for ur help...i wish they put all that stuff into the anime and not just the manga though =/
Old 2007-10-01, 14:31   Link #206
tsmetz

Spoiler for deathnote:
Old 2007-10-01, 15:35   Link #207
IchiSenna999

well,

Spoiler for tsmetz question:
Old 2007-10-01, 16:30   Link #208
tsmetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiSenna999 View Post
well,

Spoiler for tsmetz question:
even then, how would he know which one was him?
Old 2007-10-01, 18:15   Link #209
IchiSenna999

lol maybe he just wanted to take a potshot at one of the SPKs, no matter who it was
Old 2007-10-01, 19:49   Link #210
Echoes

Light deduced that Near would equal Nate, probably. He is a genius, after all. L's real name was L Lawliet, so there was a pattern of the real names resembling their nicknames. Even if he couldn't know for sure, it was a good bet, and his only shot at that.
Old 2007-10-07, 22:32   Link #211
tsmetz

Spoiler for Deathnote movie:
Old 2007-10-19, 07:43   Link #212
tejvenim

Gender of creator of Death Note?

Ohba Tsugumi

Guy or girl? Anyone know.
Old 2007-11-13, 16:12   Link #213
KLMN

Q1. The death note seems to know what time it is when your writing in it, like you could write dies 20 minutes from now, and it would work right? well what if you specified a time that could never come, but is within the 23 day limit?

like as an example say i wrote this in the death note:

John Doe, dies of a heart attack, John Doe dies of a heart attack 1 minute away for every minute from now, John Doe cannot be harmed until then

meaning that for every minute that passes the time of death is 1 minute away from that minute, so the time of death would always be 2 minutes away from the current time, it satisfies all the rules that im familiar with, except for the life rule of all humans , without exception, will die, but since the death note is controlling his actions (and the actions of others) anything harmful that could happen to him wont, and since the time of death is within 30 mins everything should work, making John Doe immortal (at the very least he would be invulnerable to other death notes forever) but im not sure, so what would happen if you were to write that in the death note

Q2. you can control the actions of others, like if you say someone dies in a traffic accident then someone has to drive into the person your killing, meaning youve just taken control of the actions of the person driving, the same goes for if you kill someone by stabbing, someone else has to stab them, so youve taken control of someone elses actions in order to stab the person your killing

couldnt you use this to circumvent the rule of "the deaths that cause the deaths of others result in heart attacks"

as an example lets say i wrote this in the death note:

John Doe, commits suicide with a gun, John Doe enters The Bank of America at 1:12pm on December 14th 2007, carrying a gun loaded with 1 bullet, demands all the money the bank has, the tellers begin filling bags with money from the safe after hitting the silent alarm while John Doe isnt looking, the police arrive at 1:32pm in response to the silent alarm, the police announce themselves and John Doe takes everyone in the bank as hostages, announcing that he will kill them if the police try anything, the police rush in, guns blazing, killing everyone but John Doe, John Does runs to the bathroom and shoots himself once in the head at 2:19pm

the police are the ones that killed everyone, not the person you are targeting, and their deaths werent directly related to John Does death, since John Doe committed suicide, so i dont think that rule would apply here, all you would have to do is make sure the person whos name you dont know and want to kill is in the bank between 1:12pm and 2:19 pm on that day

Q3. another question about controling peoples actions, this one is a way to get the eyes for free using someone else to kill someone whos name you dont know, and can only easily be explained through the use of an example death note entry:

John Doe, dies of a heart attack, Bob Smith gives possession of his death note to John Doe, keeping this page so Bob Smith can keep the memories of the death note, John Doe then makes the shinigami eye deal with (shinigamis name here), John Doe then goes to (address or the place that you know the person you want to kill is), John Doe writes the names of everyone he sees at that address on a sheet of normal paper and comes back to (address of bob smith's choosing here) John Doe returns ownership of the death note to Bob Smith, John Does dies of a heart attack 5 days later

in this example you would be bob smith and once you get all the names all you have to do is kill everyone that John Doe wrote down, one of them would be the person you really want to kill, Light couldve used this in the story to find out L's real name by using his father, or anyone on that investiagation team (replace bob smith with Light, john doe with Light's father, and use the address and room number of the hotel they would meet in that week, lights father would get everyones names in that room, and the only name he doesnt know would be L's, thats what i wouldve done right away)

so i guess this is 2 questions, 1. is it possible to use the death notes powers in the conditions of the death (like the eyes, and the passing of ownership, not using it to kill people since that violates the "deaths that cause the deaths of others will result in heart attacks" rule) and 2. why didnt Light think of doing this right away, it seems so obvious, and the easiest way to get L's name

Q4. shinigamis can be killed by saving someone they care about by using the note to prevent that persons death, what if you use the note to force a shinigami to care about someone then try to kill that person, it doesnt say anywhere that you cant control a shinigamis actions using the note, it just says you cant kill a shinigami with the note (afaik, i might be wrong), which means you could write something like this in the death note:

Jane Doe, dies from stab wounds, Jane Doe falls in love with Ryuk, Ryuk returns her love, Jane Doe is stabbed to death soon after Ryuk confesses his love for her

in this example you would have to touch jane with part of the death note before hand so she could see ryuk (im only using ryuk as an example here so dont come here saying ryuk would never do this, replace Ryuks name with that of any shinigami), Ryuk would undoubtedly save jane (since the note is controling him), killing himself in the process, although this does technically end up violating the "deaths that cause the deaths of others end up as heat attacks" rule, but since jane wont actually die it should still work

Q5. what if you have twins with the same name, and the same face, how would the death note deal with people like this, i assume it would it kill both of them when you wrote the name of 1 and pictured his face, since they are exactly the same

Q6.
Spoiler for question about the last episode:

Thats all the questions I have for now, the anime was great (just finished watching it yesterday, and started reading the manga today), and ill watch the movies after L comes out in 2008 (thats the one i really want to see)

P.S. this is my first post so id just like to say "Hi everyone, death note rocks ", and also id like to apologize for the length of my first post, i had alot to say/ask and since its all related i figured 1 post was all that was necessary

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-11-13 at 16:27. Reason: removed non Q&A stuff to keep the thread on topic.
Old 2007-11-13, 16:24   Link #214
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Q1-3: Heart attack. Any time you try to get too cute and do too much beyond the rules, the victim gets a heart attack and everything is voided.

Q3: The deal for the shinigami's eyes needs to be of someone's own free will, so the victim simply dies of a heart attack.

Q4: The Death Note only works on humans. You cannot kill a shinigami with one.

Q5: Okay, this question is somewhat interesting. The answer is not really contained in the show so you'd have to speculate.

Q6:
Spoiler for final episode:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-11-13, 21:55   Link #215
KLMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Q1-3: Heart attack. Any time you try to get too cute and do too much beyond the rules, the victim gets a heart attack and everything is voided.
yeah that makes sense, anything not covered by the rules explicitly, but has a chance to break one of them, would default to a heart attack

Quote:
Q3: The deal for the shinigami's eyes needs to be of someone's own free will, so the victim simply dies of a heart attack.
i see, i didnt know it had to be choosen by free will, i thought the owner only needed to say he wanted to trade

Quote:
Q4: The Death Note only works on humans. You cannot kill a shinigami with one.
i wasn't using it to kill a shinigami, i was using it to control a shinigami's actions, by using the death note to make a shinigami love a human, then by attempting to kill that human, the shinigami would save that human since the death note is making that shinigami love that human, resulting in the death of that shinigami

i guess the rule means none of the death notes powers work on shinigamis, including the controlling of actions (the way its stated it only seems to include using it to kill one), i was trying to think of a way for a human to kill a shinigami at will, that was the only scenario i could come up with that seemed like it might work

Quote:
Q5: Okay, this question is somewhat interesting. The answer is not really contained in the show so you'd have to speculate.
this one bothered me right from the beginning of the show, i was hoping the manga would answer it, or maybe the creators had something to say on it in, but oh well

Quote:
Q6:
Spoiler for final episode:
i know the show ended the way it did because any other ending wouldnt have had the same effect, but think about it from
Spoiler for :

Thanks for your answers, and I wish there was more death note
Old 2007-11-14, 02:30   Link #216
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLMN View Post
i wasn't using it to kill a shinigami, i was using it to control a shinigami's actions, by using the death note to make a shinigami love a human, then by attempting to kill that human, the shinigami would save that human since the death note is making that shinigami love that human, resulting in the death of that shinigami
There's an error in your understading. The Note can only control the actions of someone that it is going to kill. If the Note isn't killing someone, then it cannot control their actions at all.

It certainly does not say that the note cannot be used to control Shinigami, but it cannot kill a Shinigami so the Note never gets a chance to control them.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-11-14, 02:33   Link #217
Miilou Suede

I have a question on the ending:

Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2007-11-14, 02:42   Link #218
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Ryuk made that rule about not going to Heaven or Hell just to mess with the book's owner. Really. Since he believes that no humans go to Heaven or Hell it is technically true, but he was playing around.

Incidently I don't think that shinigami really know anything about Heaven or Hell or souls. They only kill people, the next world is just as much a mystery to them as to humans. Just because they cannot see souls does not prove that there is no such thing. They are just as incapable as humans of seeing or knowing such a thing. It is ultimately left to the viewer to believe in Mu or an afterlife as they see fit.

Old 2007-11-14, 02:54   Link #219
Miilou Suede

Goodness! Thank you for the quick reply. I can imagine that because Shinigami have an exceptionally depressing lifestyle, so there is at least a possibility they would construct ideas such as Mu to make themselves feel at least a bit better about their own existence. I'm still very much undecided but I'd like to argue the previous point simply because the ending would be less unsettling.
Old 2007-11-28, 13:00   Link #220
Jorkan

Question

Q: How do the Shinigami know there is no Heaven or Hell?

Q: Could Ryuk have been lying or not know for a fact that there is no Heaven or Hell?

Q: Who created the Shinigami, and what is their purpose?
Closed Thread

Tags
childhood, deathnote, history, lawliet, past