AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-07-22, 05:38   Link #321
Westlo
Lets be reality

lmao @ the jackie chan my mind is full of fuck.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 07:07   Link #322
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I believe the official statement was something about server stability. They're releasing limited quantities so they can let the userbase flow in instead of smashing the servers tsunami style.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 07:28   Link #323
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

If they could say that straight without being vague it would be nice.
Old 2011-07-22, 09:06   Link #324
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

They did, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenReid
To all of our fans outside of North America and Europe:

Today we've announced the pre-order details for the initial launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic, and as you may now know, we’ve taken the difficult but necessary decision to limit our initial launch supply for the game. BioWare and LucasArts are completely focused on building an exceptional game and an exceptional game service to go with it. We decided to constrain our launch capacity to ensure we deliver a great experience to every player.

Part of the reason this decision was made was because of the overwhelming demand for The Old Republic, and we're humbled by that level of excitement and anticipation. We fully intend to deliver to you an amazing game when we expand our service post-launch, but right now we cannot commit to any timeframe for when that may happen. As soon as we have more information about additional launches in more territories, we’ll let you know.

We are committed to delivering Star Wars: The Old Republic to BioWare and Star Wars fans around the world, and to growing a truly global community.
Old 2011-07-22, 23:05   Link #325
Mr Hat and Clogs

No no, I mean 'We decided to constrain our launch capacity to combat overloaded launch day servers to ensure we deliver a great experience to our players.' Give it straight, because as it is people have interperated it their own way. Doesn't help when I saw a quote that was implying the limit was to keep lag down because people further from the servers lag the game.

Meh, still a retarded and pointless gesture since everyone I personally know that was interested just went and got it off of Amazon - 12 plus people (way to screw over the local markets EA). Even if they do IP block at the beginning (which I doubt) there are ways around that too. So we'll be there at launch as well anyway.
Old 2011-07-22, 23:14   Link #326
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So I assume from that announcement that they won't allow IPs outside NA and EU at launch?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 23:35   Link #327
Mr Hat and Clogs

There was a twitter post I saw saying that they would not block IP's. Also that those outside NA/EU 'should' be able to log in and play if they manage to get a copy of the game from somewhere. Which kinda makes all their intent to limit moot, since people will seek the game elsewhere, like Amazon, that will ship to those places. All they really did was screw the local EA divisions/markets out of profits. I'm in Australia for example and our local distributors would have lost out on a lot of sales from this - to many Australians it seems like a double kick in the pants, since we get screwed over by not having our own servers then get told we won't have access at launch. So we're forced to do things outside the box.

Don't really want to make a new post but this was interesting.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2011-07-23 at 09:36. Reason: added article link.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 03:37   Link #328
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
No no, I mean 'We decided to constrain our launch capacity to combat overloaded launch day servers to ensure we deliver a great experience to our players.' Give it straight, because as it is people have interperated it their own way. Doesn't help when I saw a quote that was implying the limit was to keep lag down because people further from the servers lag the game.
Over the last 3 years, I've seen so many straight statements from Bioware being interpreted in peoples own way, I'm not surprised they've given up. Hell, this statement is still pretty straight. "We decided to constrain our launch capacity to ensure we deliver a great experience to every player." You'd have to try pretty damn hard to interpret this as anything but "we don't want the inevitable tsunami of players to crash our servers."

The reason for the limit on digital pre-orders is exactly because there are no physical copies. You can print a limited amount of physical copies, but digital copies are endless, so if you want to have a limited release you have to put an artificial cap on it. Yeah, it doesn't stop people pre-ordering physical copies, but those physical copies are a fixed number anyway.

On the whole Australia thing... well, you have my sympathies there. Makes me wonder if your government has some sort of law stating that "nobody shall play games in this country until we've played them first."
Old 2011-07-23, 04:22   Link #329
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

We DO have our own classification board, the OFLC...
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 05:39   Link #330
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Official minimum system requirements revealed:

OS Windows XP, Vista/7
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM • PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.
ATI X1800 or better* • nVidia 7800 or better* • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
8x or better DVD-ROM

From IGN
Old 2011-07-25, 06:43   Link #331
Westlo
Lets be reality

Good to see you can customize your companion characters in the latest beta build, they talked about this @ SDCC.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 11:25   Link #332
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Official minimum system requirements revealed:

OS Windows XP, Vista/7
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM • PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.
ATI X1800 or better* • nVidia 7800 or better* • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
8x or better DVD-ROM

From IGN
Actually, those're at the bottom of http://www.swtor.com/preorder

But it's nice to see a brand new 5k$ machine isn't necessary to play

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 12:26   Link #333
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Actually, those're at the bottom of http://www.swtor.com/preorder

But it's nice to see a brand new 5k$ machine isn't necessary to play
Most new laptops could prolly play this with no prob, so that's good.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 01:27   Link #334
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I can run it on high based on this, and this puts joy in my heart.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:31   Link #335
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Most new laptops could prolly play this with no prob, so that's good.
Indeed....

Me, on the other hand, am using an older desktop, and cannot run this.

Oh well... someday HAHA

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 17:03   Link #336
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Can anyone answer me how they will deal with WPvP and like I am trying to find threads on the website about them including a PvP loot system but I cant find it. thanks
Old 2011-07-27, 17:31   Link #337
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Information on PvP is very scarce, and world PvP is a virtually unknown factor. We do know since comiccon that Ilum is supposed to be a world dedicated to World PvP and singleplayer endgame, but beyond that... not much.
Old 2011-07-27, 17:41   Link #338
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Hmmmm ok, that scares me cause if this is just focused on the story and pve progression not going to be that great for me I enjoy the PvP scene in Warhammer and WoW. Whats the loot system for PvP going to be or is that unknown too?
Old 2011-07-27, 18:55   Link #339
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Similar to Warhammer, actually.
Old 2011-07-27, 19:08   Link #340
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm personally more a PvE person than PvP. Mostly because I enjoy playing with people more than against people, and the finicky internet connections here actually puts lag as a factor in PvP encounters.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows