Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 04:29   Link #241
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Something interesting i remembered.
Spoiler for ep1:
Spoiler for 長子:

Or may be the director has something different in mind that can be used after finish adapting vol 3.
Old 2012-01-08, 06:07   Link #242
ookamigirl

Hmm... this one looks pretty interesting.
Space pirates and future, nice!
I'll be watching it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 06:52   Link #243
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Spoiler for 長子:

Or may be the director has something different in mind that can be used after finish adapting vol 3.
Spoiler for reply:
Old 2012-01-08, 08:47   Link #244
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
quite an interesting anime. I really want to know how pirates can be legal. How can it work in this universe?
A privateer is a private person or ship authorized by a government by letters of marque to attack foreign shipping during wartime. Which the anime talked about during the intro.

Simply put they are mercenaries hired to do the dirty work for whatever government they are working for stealing enemy goods, sinking ships, etc...

The practice became out lawed in the end of the 18th century when many of the privateer who didn't get paid for their work started turning on the governments who under paid them.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-01-08 at 11:05.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 09:13   Link #245
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

With a title like "Space pirates in miniskirt", I expected the worst, but it was surprisingly good. It does have that "old" anime feel which nowadays feels fresh. I'm not completely sold on it yet since I'm not entirely sure which direction the show will take, but this first episode definitely piqued my interest. It seems like it could really be "Harlock in miniskirt".
Old 2012-01-08, 09:38   Link #246
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
With a title like "Space pirates in miniskirt", I expected the worst, but it was surprisingly good.
Well the anime staff did change the title and took out the "miniskirt skirt" part.

And hell that title would seem inapropriate when I see Chiaki's outfit in the ED
Old 2012-01-08, 09:47   Link #247
klare

an entertaining 1st eps, looks like this one will not be too serious

Chiaki looks better in her school uniform...
Old 2012-01-08, 10:26   Link #248
Kirarakim

I would never have checked this out based on the title but after reading some good reviews I didn't want to miss out.

The first episode jumped around too much for me but it has potential: I am getting vibes of female friendship and adventure (not a bad combination). So far Chiaki is my favorite of the girls. I guess I just like those cool & collected types.
Old 2012-01-08, 11:21   Link #249
tsunade666

wow! episode 1 isn't what I expect. Also her her. It sounded more masculine which is good but it doesn't fit first on her looks but the choice of voice is good.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:32   Link #250
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Who is the main screenwriter, by the way, if anyone knows?
Tatsuo Sato (Stellvia, Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed, Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars) is directing and supervising the scripts. (Source)
Old 2012-01-08, 13:01   Link #251
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

My memory is kinda rusty but why did it took too long for the anime to air in January 2012 when it was originally Summer 2011?
Old 2012-01-08, 13:04   Link #252
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Favorite part was the shootout at the end. Ririka is the best though.
Old 2012-01-08, 13:40   Link #253
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I was a bit skeptical going in, which a title like this, but it was actually quite enjoyable. Character designs initially put me off, but it wasn't so bad as I kept on watching. The premise of the story was somewhat interesting even though this type of pattern is quite old and commonplace. And yes, her. I was sold the moment I heard her voice. Even if the story turns out bad, I'll probably watch just for her (read:HanaKana)
Old 2012-01-08, 13:56   Link #254
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Tatsuo Sato (Stellvia, Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed, Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars) is directing and supervising the scripts. (Source)
Oh goodness gracious! I was hoping he was just directing... I really hope he doesn't screw up this time, like he did in the past (*cough*Nadesicomovie*cough*).
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 14:02   Link #255
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I sure hope not. That'd ruin this series and take away the adventurous focus of the series.
While I see your point, the focus moving towards romance instead of action, I am still hoping for Yuri. I think both can be done well in one series. Hell look at Horizon, we got some really nice cannon Yuri out of it while its not a romance series.

Spoiler for Episode 01:

Last edited by Stevie_Nix; 2012-01-08 at 16:26.
Stevie_Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 14:25   Link #256
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

A nice futuristic first episode. I like all the idea's that they came up with the advanced technology which would be achievable in the actual future.

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Interesting story wise, a little surprised at the dim amount of ecchi fan service because of the anime name. I do like the characters, especially Ririka. She's the 'Intelligent, but goofy and laid back, but serious when necessary" type, a little like Shu's mother from Guilty Crown. And of course, Marika is a fun-to-watch character that looks good in a maid outfit, as well as her friend
Old 2012-01-08, 16:20   Link #257
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
My memory is kinda rusty but why did it took too long for the anime to air in January 2012 when it was originally Summer 2011?
Some pages back someone (sorry, can't recall who) mentioned it was delayed due to the earthquake if I'm not mistaken.
Old 2012-01-08, 17:12   Link #258
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

That was so much better than I expected! Some cool-looking futuristic technology, the heroine showing some actual competence (such as with her piloting sequence) rather than being the usual sort of happy-go-lucky complete ditz that usually fills the role, entertaining supporting characters (Ririka! ), a few mysteries (Why is the Bentenmaru still practicing privateering when most of the cast thinks that privateering is something that went on back in history only? Who is Chiaki and what are her secrets? Who is the guy after Marika?) to make me want to come back next week and learn the answers, and a distinct lack of obtrusively annoying fanservice makes me really happy.

Intriguingly enough, the background about the use of privateering to help buoy the navy during Sea of the Morningstar's war of independence strongly parallels the United States of America during both the War of Independence and the War of 1812, where American privateers took a major toll on British shipping and inflicted considerable economic damage...
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 17:23   Link #259
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Awesome setting, nice characters, and great OP. I like it enough to watch it twice, so it's pretty much a keeper for me so far.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 17:44   Link #260
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Favorite part was the shootout at the end. Ririka is the best though.
Yeah liked the shootout, and Ririka was awesome throughout! (I also really liked how they even added more to her character at the last minute and what she's currently doing by cutting to her in what looks like a military uniform).

I also had fun with the suited thugs showing up, it feels like I haven't seen that done like that in ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
That was so much better than I expected! Some cool-looking futuristic technology, the heroine showing some actual competence (such as with her piloting sequence) rather than being the usual sort of happy-go-lucky complete ditz that usually fills the role, entertaining supporting characters (Ririka! ), a few mysteries (Why is the Bentenmaru still practicing privateering when most of the cast thinks that privateering is something that went on back in history only? Who is Chiaki and what are her secrets? Who is the guy after Marika?) to make me want to come back next week and learn the answers, and a distinct lack of obtrusively annoying fanservice makes me really happy.

Intriguingly enough, the background about the use of privateering to help buoy the navy during Sea of the Morningstar's war of independence strongly parallels the United States of America during both the War of Independence and the War of 1812, where American privateers took a major toll on British shipping and inflicted considerable economic damage...
Yeah I really liked the set up, scifi tech/setting, mysteries, etc.

Loved that about Marika.

I was totally surprised by the lack of obtrusively annoying fanservice.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri