AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-27, 22:38   Link #281
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
It was essentially Melancholy squeezed into a baseball story. I'd hardly consider that a "plot."
Huh. Fair enough.
Old 2009-06-28, 02:25   Link #282
mpt37

I came across this video which compares the endings from the first 3 eps and there's a subtle difference. In the first half of the ending (from 0:09-0:30) when the characters flash on screen with the fluorescent colors you'll notice the color is much brighter in the ending from ep. 8. (you'll need to pause it to really notice)

From the comments I read, people seem to believe it's foreshadowing the "Disappearance". Anyone think there's any significance to the different endings?
Old 2009-06-28, 02:30   Link #283
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Now isn't that interesting.

KyoAni has become SHAFT Inc...
Old 2009-06-28, 02:36   Link #284
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Anime really can have some variation in OPs, though its not necessary.

The only OP I've ever seen that has episodic progress was GunXSword, which didn't even have lyrics, just epic music with new characters that fill in the OP every episode. Its one show where I heard the most people watching the OP every single episode.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-28, 04:20   Link #285
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
From the comments I read, people seem to believe it's foreshadowing the "Disappearance". Anyone think there's any significance to the different endings?
Another possible explanation is that they needed to tone the flashing down because of possible epilepsy problems.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy
Old 2009-06-28, 08:21   Link #286
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
Another possible explanation is that they needed to tone the flashing down because of possible epilepsy problems.
Are those flashes really fast enough to cause epilepsy?
Quote:
KyoAni has become SHAFT Inc...
I can find both great joy and great disappointment in this if it were true.
Old 2009-06-28, 09:26   Link #287
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
But incrementally?

Old 2009-06-29, 01:58   Link #288
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Huh. Licensed already. That was fast.

All episodes previous to this have subs up too, but they're the shit Bandai subs, since they own the license.

You'd think they'd use "time travelers" and not "future men" when every other English localization of the series uses "time travelers".

Last edited by Tyabann; 2009-06-29 at 02:19.
Old 2009-06-29, 02:18   Link #289
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2vCw...BA335E&index=7

Huh. Licensed already. That was fast.

All episodes previous to this have subs up too, but they're the shit Bandai subs, since they own the license.

You'd think they'd use "time travelers" and not "future men" when every other English localization of the series uses "time travelers".
Note the "Until July 5th" at the upper right corner of the main KADOKAWAanime YouTube page. http://www.youtube.com/user/KADOKAWAanime
Old 2009-06-29, 02:20   Link #290
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Note the "Until July 5th" at the upper right corner of the main KADOKAWAanime YouTube page. http://www.youtube.com/user/KADOKAWAanime
Interesting. So they're just trying to get it out to the Western fanbase?

I appreciate their sentiment, but...

The BLR subs are even worse. At least the Bandai subs were consistent with themselves, and translated things fairly accurately if not into sensible English.

But here...

HIKOBOSHI DOES NOT MEAN "PRINCE"

IT MEANS "COW HERDER STAR"

AND ONLY IF YOU WERE TO TRANSLATE IT, WHICH YOU DON'T BECAUSE IT'S A NAME

GOD DAMN IT

End rant
Old 2009-06-29, 23:36   Link #291
Sir Jeeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
I came across this video which compares the endings from the first 3 eps and there's a subtle difference. In the first half of the ending (from 0:09-0:30) when the characters flash on screen with the fluorescent colors you'll notice the color is much brighter in the ending from ep. 8. (you'll need to pause it to really notice)

That would be cool, but I don't see any difference between 12 and 13...
Old 2009-06-30, 01:44   Link #292
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Just saw Endless Eight Part II, and yeah, they are definitely catering to both male and female audiences.

Now if you'll excuse me...
Old 2009-07-01, 07:01   Link #293
Dop
Mmmm....

I think it's inspired of Kadokawa to use YouTube like this. It's pretty much advertising for the series and forthcoming DVDs, but the fact that they're not even region locking them is fantastic.
(Compare to the likes of MFI, who seem to employ someone just to search YouTube for any reference to a series and have it removed.)

Although I would say that they really could do with hiring someone good at English to proofread and correct their subtitles. I always find spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors distracting!
Old 2009-07-01, 09:00   Link #294
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I think it's inspired of Kadokawa to use YouTube like this. It's pretty much advertising for the series and forthcoming DVDs, but the fact that they're not even region locking them is fantastic.
(Compare to the likes of MFI, who seem to employ someone just to search YouTube for any reference to a series and have it removed.)

Although I would say that they really could do with hiring someone good at English to proofread and correct their subtitles. I always find spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors distracting!
I am pretty positive it's the same guy who subbed Haruhi-chan.

Still, I give them 9/10 for everything thus far, except for the Engrish they're using.
Old 2009-07-01, 10:07   Link #295
ReneeBurossamu

No way. Kadokawa's channel now has episodes 1-8 with English subtitles. They must like their English-speaking crowds.
(I don't know if this post even goes in this topic.)
Old 2009-07-01, 11:22   Link #296
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeBurossamu View Post
No way. Kadokawa's channel now has episodes 1-8 with English subtitles. They must like their English-speaking crowds.
(I don't know if this post even goes in this topic.)
Just saw the English-subbed episode on their channel. I must say it's pretty decent, although you can tell that its aimed at the general audience , not people who have already watched anime. For example, Nagato-san is translated as Miss Nagato... Tanabata is translated as the Star Festival. Definitely for people unfamiliar with Japanese culture.

Well, at least they didn't get the guy who translated "All your base are belong to us!" to do it. Can you imagine Haruhi in "All your base"-ish?
Old 2009-07-01, 15:03   Link #297
M.Marangio

episode 13

The japanese episode #13, Endless Eight (II), is available from Kadokawa's YouTube channel.

The next episode will air tomorrow in less than 20 hours.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:29   Link #298
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Talking

Quote:
The next episode will air tomorrow in less than 20 hours.
Breaking out the popcorn, because this weekend is a long weekend at work. Thursday becomes Friday, and I'm watching all three EE episodes in proper order for MAXIMUM EFFECT.

Or it'll blow over, and I'll be very upset after my post-new-episode cigarette.
Old 2009-07-06, 03:19   Link #299
bayoab

Kadokawa has uploaded episode 9-12 to the youtube channel with english subs. 9-11 with Bandai's DVD subs and 12 with Kadokawa's.
Episode 12 link.

Also, the first DVD listing has appeared and has english subtitles listed as one of the features.
Old 2009-07-06, 06:09   Link #300
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Just saw the English-subbed episode on their channel. I must say it's pretty decent, although you can tell that its aimed at the general audience , not people who have already watched anime. For example, Nagato-san is translated as Miss Nagato... Tanabata is translated as the Star Festival. Definitely for people unfamiliar with Japanese culture.

Well, at least they didn't get the guy who translated "All your base are belong to us!" to do it. Can you imagine Haruhi in "All your base"-ish?
Well, I think that's a fair job. I mean, when you teach someone, you start from the basics, and Kadokawa is trying to aim at the newcomers who need an idea of what's going on.

Imagine telling someone up deep in the forests of Alishan in Taiwan "arrhythmia".
Closed Thread

Tags
kadokawa, science fiction, shounen