AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-13, 15:23   Link #21
Seitsuki
Onee!

Funnily enough though an arcade control scheme fits Touhou better imo. The most vital aspect is dodging and for that you need very tight control over movement- something an analogue controller technically would beat a keyboard in. (or better yet a joystick)
Old 2010-01-14, 20:18   Link #22
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
Funnily enough though an arcade control scheme fits Touhou better imo. The most vital aspect is dodging and for that you need very tight control over movement- something an analogue controller technically would beat a keyboard in. (or better yet a joystick)
HRAP 2 FTW!

Quote:
I haven't played PoFV so I don't know what this means. ^^
The CPU has a horrible time dealing with Aya's attacks (and Medicine's for that matter), so playing as those two characters makes the games a lot easier. It's kinda similar to using MarisaB in MoF.
Old 2010-01-14, 22:42   Link #23
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
The CPU has a horrible time dealing with Aya's attacks (and Medicine's for that matter), so playing as those two characters makes the games a lot easier. It's kinda similar to using MarisaB in MoF.
MarisaB in MoF only have that "godlike un-focus mode", and it only work when your power is below 3, so I don't think it's a big deal, compare to Aya in PoFV.

Oh well, I'm trying to defend for her, because I used her almost every Touhou game .

Btw, arcade stick is different to the controller.
Old 2010-01-15, 15:04   Link #24
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsmth View Post
Wait, so we can't even talk about the other Touhou games where ZUN has some involvement in it?
Yeah, we can talk about those... I was mostly just trying to keep this thread from becoming hijacked by people talking about shipping wars or Silent Sinner in Blue or some other derivative work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsmth View Post
I play in full screen because it's easier to focus (not the in-game focus) that way.

Some patterns are easy enough to dodge that you can stay on the offensive without getting hit. Sometimes, moving around just makes it harder.

Some patterns need god-like reflexes to dodge while being on the offensive or has a random factor where you would get trapped if you stay in one place for too long, so instead of keeping a stream of my own danmaku at the enemy, I look out for the safe areas or big holes in the pattern where I could work my way around.

Playing in windowed mode may help in letting you see the entire screen more easily, but when you have to manuever through some really thick danmaku, a bigger screen would help you focus.
I've found that the more I try to focus on the entire screen, the less trouble I have with many bullet patterns.

The thing is, a lot of the patterns are actually quite simple to dodge, but they're designed in such a way that looks very visually confusing.

Take, for example, in Subterranean Animism, the stage 4 endboss, Satori. Her final Normal mode spellcard, "Border of Wave and Particle" is actually pretty easy to understand how it works. She fires off streams of bullets which arc and spray depending on how fast the streams spin.

Now I know how to avoid being hit on this spellcard, but I can't seem to actually accomplish it because it's very visually confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
I think that'd mess me up at first as I'm used to very lightly tapping the arrow keys to move just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
I've intentionally caused this sort of behavior in both PCB and SA by intentionally underclocking my CPU so the framerate falls when a lot of bullets are on screen. It's surprising, really... once you learn how to dodge a pattern with the game running much slower than normal, it actually translates to full speed 60fps quite well.
Old 2010-01-16, 03:48   Link #25
Seitsuki
Onee!

the problem with a keyboard is the limitation in direction, with only NSEW and NE/NW etc being available. with a joystick you can technically move in a greater array of directions, although i admit i would also probably more comfortable with the keyboard ^^; (you know with each tap where and how much you're going, joystick can be pretty hit and miss)
Old 2010-01-16, 21:10   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'd definitely have to get used to it after playing with the keyboard for so long, but I think a stiff arcade stick would give the highest level of control. A gamepad's analog stick would likely be too loose.

I did finally manage to complete stage 4 through mass bombing of Satori's spellcards, so I could unlock the stage in practice mode. So far I've got the bullet patterns down pat, rarely dying during the stage itself... but still pretty fail-tastic when it comes to all of Satori's spellcards except for the first one.

Her second and third spellcards really get me down, but it's her fourth spellcard that just frustrates me to no end. I find myself wishing I were using a controller, just so I could throw it. ^^;
Old 2010-01-17, 03:33   Link #27
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Well, if you find Satori's Recollection Spell Cards difficult, you can always have them changed by using a different character. Satori recreates Spell Cards from Yukari, Suika, Aya, Alice, Patchouli and Nitori, so if you got familiar with them in the other Touhou games, things might become easier.

Personally, I got particularly fond of ReimuB, since it has that nice auto-collect feature. Of course, ReimuA (which I assume you are using, since you mentioned "Border of Wave and Particle") also works fine, due to the "teleport to the other side of the screen" feature. Lastly, if you really want a change, you can always use Marisa. <3

As you can see, there is plenty to choose from.

On a side note, it's nice to finally see an active Touhou gaming thread around here. ^^

Last edited by Honoakari; 2010-01-17 at 07:11.
Honoakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 11:44   Link #28
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'd definitely have to get used to it after playing with the keyboard for so long, but I think a stiff arcade stick would give the highest level of control. A gamepad's analog stick would likely be too loose.

I did finally manage to complete stage 4 through mass bombing of Satori's spellcards, so I could unlock the stage in practice mode. So far I've got the bullet patterns down pat, rarely dying during the stage itself... but still pretty fail-tastic when it comes to all of Satori's spellcards except for the first one.

Her second and third spellcards really get me down, but it's her fourth spellcard that just frustrates me to no end. I find myself wishing I were using a controller, just so I could throw it. ^^;
Or snap it in half.
A few tries by me using the keyboard for the first time, consisted mostly of me standing there taking bullet(s) coming my way.
I just froze there.

It's a progress though. I am positive that it was easier to deal with horizontal moving bullets now.

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 00:13   Link #29
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Denizens of the Great Big Touhou Thread, I request advice.

Touhou 11, Stage 4, Normal mode, Satori's second endstage spellcard... I just can't get past it without excessive bombing and death. The others after it cause me similar problems (but I'm getting a handle on her final spellcard, it just requires a lot of selective use of the focus button).

Any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0rYn View Post
Well, if you find Satori's Recollection Spell Cards difficult, you can always have them changed by using a different character. Satori recreates Spell Cards from Yukari, Suika, Aya, Alice, Patchouli and Nitori, so if you got familiar with them in the other Touhou games, things might become easier.

Personally, I got particularly fond of ReimuB, since it has that nice auto-collect feature. Of course, ReimuA (which I assume you are using, since you mentioned "Border of Wave and Particle") also works fine, due to the "teleport to the other side of the screen" feature. Lastly, if you really want a change, you can always use Marisa. <3

As you can see, there is plenty to choose from.

On a side note, it's nice to finally see an active Touhou gaming thread around here. ^^
Thank you for this!

Yes, I'm using ReimuA. I tried ReimuB and variations of Marisa on occasion, but I like ReimuA the most. The "teleport to the other side of the screen" bit is handy--when I actually remember to use it. I mostly like ReimuA because I can concentrate all option fire forward and quickly take down a boss if the spellcard is problematic for me.

I'm actually getting Border of Wave and Particle down pretty well (still die a lot, but I'm making progress); it's Satori's second and third spellcards that really give me problems. Mostly the second spellcard using ReimuA (making slight progress on #3 spellcard).

On a better note I finally figured out how to beat Stage 3 endboss spellcard #2 in a much easier manner than I have been getting through. The huge bullets are visually confusing. @.@
Old 2010-01-20, 05:45   Link #30
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Touhou 11, Stage 4, Normal mode, Satori's second endstage spellcard... I just can't get past it without excessive bombing and death. The others after it cause me similar problems (but I'm getting a handle on her final spellcard, it just requires a lot of selective use of the focus button).

Any tips?
What character you are using? Her spellcards are different depend on that.
Old 2010-01-21, 00:54   Link #31
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm using ReimuA.
Old 2010-01-22, 03:51   Link #32
kssael
Don't say "Crabcore"!

Double Black Death Butterfly is kinda confusing because some of the other butterfly bullets can hit you from behind without you knowing it. Forgot the name for the third Recollection spellcard but you're supposed to stream carefully while dodging the lasers. Just don't get clipped between the lasers and butterfly bullets.

EDIT: UFO is SUCH a bitch to 1cc. I've done it so far with SanaeA and B.
Old 2010-01-23, 03:22   Link #33
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
MarisaB in MoF only have that "godlike un-focus mode", and it only work when your power is below 3, so I don't think it's a big deal, compare to Aya in PoFV.

Oh well, I'm trying to defend for her, because I used her almost every Touhou game .

Btw, arcade stick is different to the controller.
It is a pity that such a bug was placed in this game, because MoF is one of the most accessible Touhou games (Extra stage included). It is far more easier to 1cc than, let's say, SA, regardless of the character you choose. If you bomb at the right times and avoid any unnecessary deaths, you'll have plenty of lives left to face Kanako and Suwako.

Anyway, in order to use that bug, Marisa's power level must be between 3.00 and 3.99, if I recall correctly.
Old 2010-01-23, 12:14   Link #34
Juusu
Unisexual liquid mass

I have all of the Touhou games currently out (as far as I know)

I suck at them, I hardly know anything about the characters or their backstories, but I love it all the same.
Juusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 21:05   Link #35
Seitsuki
Onee!

Did you get the translated versions? That really helps.
I had the games for some time but only really got into it after reading through the entire image thread (yes, that took... some time xD) I recommend you do the same cos looking at ZUNs art for too long can make your eyes bleed. You learn a surprising amount from that thread, then the touhou wiki should clear up any questions left.
Old 2010-01-23, 21:29   Link #36
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I got into Touhou because of the people on this forum, and after reading a doujin or two started digging into the backgrounds of the characters, browsing the Touhou Wiki, and watching the fanfilms on youtube. It's a habit of mine to dig in and absorb as much info as I can about the stuff I like.

That being said, I am... terrible, if not horrible, at the Danmaku games. The only one I even managed to clear was Phantasmagoria of Flower View, with it's gameplay being slightly tweaked in a way that made it a lot easier for me to play.

I much prefer the fighting games, at least I'm decent at those.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 23:34   Link #37
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

of all the touhou games that i have played i have to say that the greatest challenge was on subterranean anism
but the touhou anime was pretty good i hope zun makes another
Old 2010-01-23, 23:49   Link #38
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokoufanatic View Post
of all the touhou games that i have played i have to say that the greatest challenge was on subterranean anism
but the touhou anime was pretty good i hope zun makes another
ZUN doesn't make any anime, and he's not pleased to be thought as one. He already said that he wants people to appreciate Touhou through the game.
Old 2010-01-24, 13:38   Link #39
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Getting better at "Double Black Death Butterfly..." actually captured the spellcard once this morning!

Third spellcard is still bugging me (no pun intended) even though I usually don't die, I generally am forced to bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I much prefer the fighting games, at least I'm decent at those.
It's a totally different experience, of course. I've got Immaterial and Missing Power, I suck with every character (especially suck with Alice and Remilia) but Sakuya I dominate with. Weird but true.

Regarding IaMP, is there a special way to defeat Suika at the end without looking like a total spaz? Every time I do it, when the Interface Screw starts and she floats in midair blasting shit out in all directions I just sort of have to repeatedly jump-kick her for four minutes until she dies.

It looks so retarded, lol.
Old 2010-01-24, 14:21   Link #40
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Stick back, dodge, and keep shooting.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, ps vita, touhou