AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2010-10-27, 23:33   Link #81
Lancel

Air-to-air does imply atmospheric combat, but they may have never updated the terminology AA just got left as an anachronism. At the very least the aircraft (sigh) carrier was probably in space. Of course that also implies it has a very accurate fold system, and obviously someone had to spot the Carrier to put a coordinate set on it, not that this was probably an issue in the simulation. Still pretty nifty. I wonder where they get all this info... I do like the VF-25, but I still hesitate at its reliance on a pack, and until the Hybrid pack its lack of anything that was fast and usable in an atmosphere, which left it with very little in the way of ammunition when put in an atmosphere. But yeah, Hybrid seems to fix that. I wonder how many missiles Hybrid adds.

I didn't see any hardpoint mounted missiles on Gilliam's fighter, but it stands to reason it would still have an internal missile bay like the VF-19 and VF-22 had, though with its slimmer profile I suspect it's not as large, maybe two bays in the legs with 12 micro-missiles each. Enough to give it something, or to mount mission-specific packages without using external hardpoints.

Anyway, onto the coilgun (shouldn't that be hybrid coilgun?), I'd have to say a 120mm is probably overkill, possibly ill-suited as the Vajra armor is no joke and you'll want penetration. In fact, given it's a stealth assist, you probably want -excessive- penetration so the round will go straight through the Vajra, limiting the amount of kinetic energy absorbed by the body and making it less apparent that someone is actually shooting them, otherwise NUNS is going to see Vajra getting kicked around like they were humans hit by a .44 Magnum and start realizing that someone is shooting them. Meanwhile a bullet that just tears straight through one might be less obvious, and less likely to leave a bullet lodged in a carcass that might be traced back to you, but that's just my thinking on that and I may be crazy.

So yeah, my suggestion would be a much smaller round for higher penetration, plus the coilgun should be able to zip a smaller round out at higher muzzle velocity, which equates to more bullet speed and therefore a greater attack range for your snipers, and a greater attack range means further from NUNS and should reduce the probability of detection. Just gotta be careful that you don't hit someone behind the target, but they sound elite enough to handle that. You might have to be more accurate with placement though to get a kill, maybe target their internally produced missiles (Vajra do sometimes explode when shot at), or other vital areas (fortunately the big vital area, their stomach, is also the center of mass). Still, Vajra are biological anyway, any shot that goes through their armor will inflict injury and pain, enough of which seems to temporarily stun a Vajra (or maybe that's just when their head explodes).

On the spotter, pretty much yeah, two-man teams, one spots while the other moves ahead. Both have rifles of course.

Might consider a flash suppressor too since it's a hybrid. You are in space though, so there's technically no air to actually feed the fire and it may be unnecessary, I can't confirm that though.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 07:57   Link #82
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Air-to-air does imply atmospheric combat, but they may have never updated the terminology AA just got left as an anachronism. At the very least the aircraft (sigh) carrier was probably in space. Of course that also implies it has a very accurate fold system, and obviously someone had to spot the Carrier to put a coordinate set on it, not that this was probably an issue in the simulation. Still pretty nifty. I wonder where they get all this info... I do like the VF-25, but I still hesitate at its reliance on a pack, and until the Hybrid pack its lack of anything that was fast and usable in an atmosphere, which left it with very little in the way of ammunition when put in an atmosphere. But yeah, Hybrid seems to fix that. I wonder how many missiles Hybrid adds.
The Wyvren also relies on FAST packs but at least the STS made them fast and usable in both the atmoshpere and in space.

I think at minimum it would have 100+. Maximum would be 200+ like the Armored pack.

Quote:
I didn't see any hardpoint mounted missiles on Gilliam's fighter, but it stands to reason it would still have an internal missile bay like the VF-19 and VF-22 had, though with its slimmer profile I suspect it's not as large, maybe two bays in the legs with 12 micro-missiles each. Enough to give it something, or to mount mission-specific packages without using external hardpoints.
The Wyvren has that too. It has double the amount of micro missiles than the Messiah.

Quote:
Anyway, onto the coilgun (shouldn't that be hybrid coilgun?), I'd have to say a 120mm is probably overkill, possibly ill-suited as the Vajra armor is no joke and you'll want penetration. In fact, given it's a stealth assist, you probably want -excessive- penetration so the round will go straight through the Vajra, limiting the amount of kinetic energy absorbed by the body and making it less apparent that someone is actually shooting them, otherwise NUNS is going to see Vajra getting kicked around like they were humans hit by a .44 Magnum and start realizing that someone is shooting them. Meanwhile a bullet that just tears straight through one might be less obvious, and less likely to leave a bullet lodged in a carcass that might be traced back to you, but that's just my thinking on that and I may be crazy.

So yeah, my suggestion would be a much smaller round for higher penetration, plus the coilgun should be able to zip a smaller round out at higher muzzle velocity, which equates to more bullet speed and therefore a greater attack range for your snipers, and a greater attack range means further from NUNS and should reduce the probability of detection. Just gotta be careful that you don't hit someone behind the target, but they sound elite enough to handle that. You might have to be more accurate with placement though to get a kill, maybe target their internally produced missiles (Vajra do sometimes explode when shot at), or other vital areas (fortunately the big vital area, their stomach, is also the center of mass). Still, Vajra are biological anyway, any shot that goes through their armor will inflict injury and pain, enough of which seems to temporarily stun a Vajra (or maybe that's just when their head explodes).
The "Thor" ( the 120mm sniper hybird coilgun gunpod ) is an anti-material sniper gunpod. the Dragunov ( the sniper that Mikhail uses ) is more like a Designated Marksmen Rifle. The Thor is more accurate, has more range and firepower.

Quote:
On the spotter, pretty much yeah, two-man teams, one spots while the other moves ahead. Both have rifles of course.
Two sniper rifles or one sniper while the other has an assault gunpod ?

Quote:
Might consider a flash suppressor too since it's a hybrid. You are in space though, so there's technically no air to actually feed the fire and it may be unnecessary, I can't confirm that though.
The Dragunov had a muzzle flash didn't it ?

Any idea how the OC keeps a Wyvren in the Frontier without anyone noticing ?

Last edited by John117xCortana; 2010-10-28 at 08:55.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 10:12   Link #83
charles88

Well Bera did able to hide his VF-27 in Frontier.How about make a Stealth pack it allow V stealth.Also are you gonna make OC join SMS?
charles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 10:22   Link #84
John117xCortana

They have their own PMC long before ep 1 started. It's called the Strategic Tactical Service. STS.
Old 2010-10-28, 10:43   Link #85
charles88

Did SMS aware of STC?By the way STC has their own Macross-Class battleship?If yes is it Quarter version or like Battle Frontier?Also how OC opinion on Vajra?Also did OC suspect Grace?
Old 2010-10-28, 11:40   Link #86
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
The "Thor" ( the 120mm sniper hybird coilgun gunpod ) is an anti-material sniper gunpod. the Dragunov ( the sniper that Mikhail uses ) is more like a Designated Marksmen Rifle. The Thor is more accurate, has more range and firepower.
It is yeah, just remember the rifle is going to be preeeetty large. I mean it's space so we don't have air resistance to care about, so all you need is power to put that round downrange, so a hybrid coilgun is ideal. Only thing I have to add is that Mikhail's gun put plenty of kinetic force into a Vajra, I mean a body shot flat knocked a Vajra a hundred feet sideways before it exploded, and later we see it knock around red ones pretty effectively. That was only a 55mm gun. 120mm like you're talking would have a NUNS pilot go "Ahh! It's on my tail!" then see it get smacked like a rag doll before promptly exploding, if not outright explode, for no obvious reason. Hopefully you'd just make those Vajra outright explode though, so that doesn't leave much evidence for what happened, only hypotheses like a missile misfire or battle damage causing a catastrophic failure.

Also, you may encounter Machida, who is a badass.

Quote:
Two sniper rifles or one sniper while the other has an assault gunpod ?
Whatever works best for the mission specifications and the range the spotter needs to cover. If he'll stay relatively close a standard gun pod may be more suitable.

Quote:
The Dragunov had a muzzle flash didn't it ?
It did, I suspect it's a hybrid as well, I know it's at least a railgun, which is similar to a coilgun.

Quote:
Any idea how the OC keeps a Wyvren in the Frontier without anyone noticing ?
Same way as Brera, like the others mentioned, superior stealth capability, maybe a hidden hangar on a support ship. I think Brera had his on the Dulfim, as he doesn't show up until they rescue that ship. Something similar could be done with another ship, like a fake transport that's actually a hangar, or a condemned island ship like Basara.
Old 2010-10-28, 20:24   Link #87
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles88 View Post
Did SMS aware of STC?By the way STC has their own Macross-Class battleship?If yes is it Quarter version or like Battle Frontier?Also how OC opinion on Vajra?Also did OC suspect Grace?
No to the first one. Not really to the second one. More like the Quarter but larger and without the transforming ability on the third one. As for the fourth and fifth one. A few of the OCs have watched the series and are aware about Macross before they ended up in the Macross verse.

Quote:
It is yeah, just remember the rifle is going to be preeeetty large. I mean it's space so we don't have air resistance to care about, so all you need is power to put that round downrange, so a hybrid coilgun is ideal. Only thing I have to add is that Mikhail's gun put plenty of kinetic force into a Vajra, I mean a body shot flat knocked a Vajra a hundred feet sideways before it exploded, and later we see it knock around red ones pretty effectively. That was only a 55mm gun. 120mm like you're talking would have a NUNS pilot go "Ahh! It's on my tail!" then see it get smacked like a rag doll before promptly exploding, if not outright explode, for no obvious reason. Hopefully you'd just make those Vajra outright explode though, so that doesn't leave much evidence for what happened, only hypotheses like a missile misfire or battle damage causing a catastrophic failure.
It's 65% larger than the Dragunov. It folds itself when not in use to save space. Not usable in fighter mode.

Won't Luca notice that some of the Vajra were destroyed by powerful projectile fire when he takes a closer look at the data he got after the battle ?

Quote:
Also, you may encounter Machida, who is a badass.
Machida ?

Quote:
Whatever works best for the mission specifications and the range the spotter needs to cover. If he'll stay relatively close a standard gun pod may be more suitable.
Ok.

Quote:
It did, I suspect it's a hybrid as well, I know it's at least a railgun, which is similar to a coilgun.
A railgun and coilgun are both similar and different. Check out the wiki article.

Quote:
Same way as Brera, like the others mentioned, superior stealth capability, maybe a hidden hangar on a support ship. I think Brera had his on the Dulfim, as he doesn't show up until they rescue that ship. Something similar could be done with another ship, like a fake transport that's actually a hangar, or a condemned island ship like Basara.
Ok. Thank you.

How would Sheryl react when during in ep 1 when she complains to Lt. Glass about letting amatuers on the stage performer team and the OC who was nearby laughed to which Sheryl angrily asks the guy what was so funny and hte OC replies "They call you the Galactic Fairy ? You're more like the Queen Bitch of the Universe !" ?
Old 2010-10-28, 21:25   Link #88
charles88

Of course she was taken back and later pissed off as first time in her life,she get insulted.
Old 2010-10-28, 23:35   Link #89
Lancel

Quote:
Won't Luca notice that some of the Vajra were destroyed by powerful projectile fire when he takes a closer look at the data he got after the battle ?
SMS has their act together. NUNS you can pull the wool over the eyes of with ease, but SMS would notice something was going on. One encounter might not prove anything though, just give information after the fact that could only indicate another force involved. Maybe not much evidence, but subsequent encounters would have SMS more on the alert to look for that sort of thing and investigate if OC starts stealth helping them again.

Quote:
Machida ?
The random NUNS VF-171 pilot in episode 14 that actually kills himself some Vajra while shouting something akin to "Did you think that was going to work every time?" Apparently his name is Machida.

Quote:
How would Sheryl react when during in ep 1 when she complains to Lt. Glass about letting amatuers on the stage performer team and the OC who was nearby laughed to which Sheryl angrily asks the guy what was so funny and hte OC replies "They call you the Galactic Fairy ? You're more like the Queen Bitch of the Universe !" ?
She already seemed in a bad mood about the sudden changes that she didn't know about. I could see her first demanding to know who he is to judge, and eventually giving him her justification for it (It's her show, and she didn't know about these stunt pilots). She's headstrong, especially right then, and if the OC pushes her she'll probably turn her nose up and walk away unless she has some reason to actually give him the time of day.

At least that's kinda my thought on it, I have some justification for why she acted a bitch at Cathy, but I don't think Sheryl was thinking of most of the reasons I did, just thinking that there were these unknown amateurs she'd not even rehearsed with doing stunts at her show and she has an image to keep up.
Old 2010-10-29, 08:56   Link #90
John117xCortana

Quote:
SMS has their act together. NUNS you can pull the wool over the eyes of with ease, but SMS would notice something was going on. One encounter might not prove anything though, just give information after the fact that could only indicate another force involved. Maybe not much evidence, but subsequent encounters would have SMS more on the alert to look for that sort of thing and investigate if OC starts stealth helping them again.
How about when the OC used his Stealth Wyvren inside the Frontier to save Gilliam from being crushed to death ( he still dies but it will be in ep 2 in the hospital ) and also rescues Sheryl's limo from a Red Vajra ?

Quote:
The random NUNS VF-171 pilot in episode 14 that actually kills himself some Vajra while shouting something akin to "Did you think that was going to work every time?" Apparently his name is Machida.
Oh yeah I remember him. He's part of Diamond Squadron right ?

Quote:
She already seemed in a bad mood about the sudden changes that she didn't know about. I could see her first demanding to know who he is to judge, and eventually giving him her justification for it (It's her show, and she didn't know about these stunt pilots). She's headstrong, especially right then, and if the OC pushes her she'll probably turn her nose up and walk away unless she has some reason to actually give him the time of day.

At least that's kinda my thought on it, I have some justification for why she acted a bitch at Cathy, but I don't think Sheryl was thinking of most of the reasons I did, just thinking that there were these unknown amateurs she'd not even rehearsed with doing stunts at her show and she has an image to keep up.
Would it be like this ?

"I thought I told you to stop allowing the fans backstage ?" Sheryl asked. Her irritation apparent in her voice.

"Those are the students who will be doing the acrobatic flights for
the opening." Lt. Glass replied, somewhat not liking the tone of the singer.

"Students ? You put part-timers on my concert staff ?"

"They are from our top school of our fleet."

"Tell them not to get in my way when they fly. Of course, the fans won't be looking at anyone except me."

Sheyrl was about to enter her changing room when she heard someone laughing nearby. Her eyes scanned the backstage looking for the source. Her eyes finally rested on blond teenager that was no older than she was. It didn't take a genius to figure out that he was laughing at her.

"What !!?" she furiously asked him

The teenager stopped laughing, taking deep breaths while still trying to hold back his laughter to answer her "They call you the Galactic Fairy ? You're more like the Queen Bitch of the Universe !" he started laughing again as he finished saying his piece.

To say that Sheryl was 'angry' and 'upset' would be an understatement of the century "What... what did you say !!? You're just a part-timer ! What do you know about what goes into making concerts !?"

The teenager finally managed to control his laughter and straigthen himself. Sheryl finally got a good look at his face. The small part of her mind which was not pissed at the moment had to admit, he looked nice. Blond hair, green eyes, strong jaw and a light skin complexion. The only thing that didn't fit was his eyes. They gave off a far older and seasoned aura for some reason. She came back to her sense when the person stepped closer, looked at her in the eye and said

"Вы действительно думаете, что мы испортим ваше изображение?"*

"What ?" Sheryl asked, not understanding what the person said or what language he used. Instead of answering her he turns around and started walking away from her.

Luca flushed and looked appealingly at his sempai. Oh no, they were talking to Sheryl Nome herself and Ben was busy winding her up. They were going to get the job cancelled, and then thrown out for good measure - which meant he wouldn't be able to see the concert himself.

"I'm sure he didn't mean it like that," he protested quickly, tugging on Ben's shoulder. "Anyway, we should go get set up -"

"I want to know what he thinks he is saying!" Sheryl blasted, demonstrating that she did indeed have lungs worthy of a galactic idol, clearly not going to let this go on.

"Sheryl, we have to go or you'll be late on stage," Grace warned calmly, although she did nothing to stop Sheryl's determined stalking of Ben (main OC) as Michel and Alto towed the boy away and Luca
desperately tried to block Sheryl's path without actually getting run down by the redfaced girl.

*Translation: You really think we'll spoil your image ?

Last edited by John117xCortana; 2010-10-29 at 09:44.
Old 2010-10-29, 10:22   Link #91
charles88

I like it how you make that scene.Also did Alto commedere and pilot VF-25 after Giliam rescue?Also are gonna add Tornado Pack in your fic?Are you also gonna put Alto undergo infamous 'SMS new recruit initiation rite' in movie in your fic?

Hopefully Ben join SMS fight Vajra later Grace and her Galaxy cohort.
Old 2010-10-30, 07:13   Link #92
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

john117xcortana

you a nice and interesting fanfic on there
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 07:32   Link #93
John117xCortana

Still working on what the OCs are doing during the 2 years and 8 months prior to ep 1.
Old 2010-10-30, 09:53   Link #94
Spartanz1170

Quote:
Yes it has OCs in in. As for the VF. Well it's gonna be this.

It's something like a self insert but it would be written in third person like in most novels.

Already got the first few chapters ready. Still haven't posted them yet though.
Mobius 1 engage?
Spartanz1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 07:34   Link #95
John117xCortana

Quote:
I like it how you make that scene.Also did Alto commedere and pilot VF-25 after Giliam rescue?
He still does it yes, after he drags a seriously wounded Gilliam to a safer place.

Quote:
Also are gonna add Tornado Pack in your fic?Are you also gonna put Alto undergo infamous 'SMS new recruit initiation rite' in movie in your fic?
I'm thinking about using the Tornado pack yes. I haven't seen the movie yet.

Quote:
Hopefully Ben join SMS fight Vajra later Grace and her Galaxy cohort.
Ben in a member of the STS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanz1170 View Post
Mobius 1 engage?
Mobius Zero actually. Ben didn't use the Mobius 1 callsign because it's already taken and he's no Mobius 1.
Old 2010-10-31, 09:31   Link #96
charles88

Did your OC hang out with SMS?
Old 2010-10-31, 09:40   Link #97
John117xCortana

Not really, he spends his time with Mikhail and Luca. But they don't know that he's a member of a secret PMC.
Old 2010-10-31, 09:49   Link #98
charles88

So at least how long you gonna debut your fic?Also if OC dogfight Brera who would win a fight?

I suggest you make Ben tell Ozma and Cathy to investigate Grace at early of your fic.Also try to make Alto aware of Grace treachery and make him realize Vajra innocent earlier than original series thanks to Oc info on Grace and Vajra.Also try to make OC tell Sheryl grandma is Mao Nome and her parents being assainated by Grace cohort.
Old 2010-10-31, 14:58   Link #99
Lancel

I still say Sheryl knows her ancestry, buuut that's just me. Oh, on the fic itself, that scene looks alright I think. I toyed with the notion of having Grace pull her away myself, I think it's a fun little twist to get Grace more involved. Grace so rarely interacted with Sheryl on screen when it wasn't all business.
Old 2010-10-31, 20:43   Link #100
John117xCortana

Quote:
So at least how long you gonna debut your fic?
When it's ready.

Quote:
Also if OC dogfight Brera who would win a fight?
Brera in the long run.

Quote:
I suggest you make Ben tell Ozma and Cathy to investigate Grace at early of your fic.Also try to make Alto aware of Grace treachery and make him realize Vajra innocent earlier than original series thanks to Oc info on Grace and Vajra.Also try to make OC tell Sheryl grandma is Mao Nome and her parents being assainated by Grace cohort.
Their main objective is to perserve the overall timeline.

Quote:
I still say Sheryl knows her ancestry, buuut that's just me. Oh, on the fic itself, that scene looks alright I think. I toyed with the notion of having Grace pull her away myself, I think it's a fun little twist to get Grace more involved. Grace so rarely interacted with Sheryl on screen when it wasn't all business.
True.

I do wonder what Sheryl would do about Ben after that incident though....