AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 20:43   Link #1601
Znail

It's a bit sad that such a usefull term have been devauled into having no meaning. There are quite a few actuall Mary Sue or Gary Stu characters around that could be usefull to have that term for.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

Even there so are the term not quite definined as it's been missued so much. But for me so is it pretty to define the criteria. The character needs to break the suspension of disbelief due to being too good at too many things.

The only issue I can see with Kirito shows up in GGO, but as far as the anime goes, so no. Kirito being good at SAO is no problem as someone has to be the best at it and the story just happens to follow that person.

If anything so would I consider those characters who starts out like Evermen and then develop into being super cool due to some wierd event far more of a problem then Kirito, that just happens to be the guy with the most talent and interest in SAO to reach the top. Someone is always at the top after all, so it's hardly unrealistic for a story to be about one.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 20:54   Link #1602
Kazu-kun

I wouldn't have much problems with Kirito if being a competent gamer was his sole skill. But he also has detective-tier deductive skills, and is also a highly skilled programmer (or so it seems). There's also the fact that every girl he meets wants into his pants.

All in all, it's a bit too much. He doesn't need to be an everyman, but he doesn't need to be like this either. A middle ground would work best imo.

EDIT: I forgot, he also has the perfect mindset to live in that world, and that goes beyond being a skilled gamer.
Old 2012-10-05, 21:01   Link #1603
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This isn't a formal word/term. There's no "official" meaning. Besides the word is not important. You said it yourself, the criticisms is on the character being too strong, competent, intelligent and lacking on flaws to compensate for their competence. That's what matter, no the term.
If you don't think it's a formal word/term, then you shouldn't be going around telling people they've got the definition wrong.

As for the criticisms themselves, he's not too strong, or too intelligent, and he has flaws, just not the sort of ridiculously exaggerated ones that anime viewers have come to expect.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 21:09   Link #1604
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
If you don't think it's a formal word/term, then you shouldn't be going around telling people they've got the definition wrong.
First semantics and now strawman? I won't even bother anymore.

Anyway, I'm not going to repeat myself. You can read my post above if you're interested in what I see problematic with Kirito's character.
Old 2012-10-05, 21:10   Link #1605
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post

As for the criticisms themselves, he's not too strong, or too intelligent, and he has flaws, just not the sort of ridiculously exaggerated ones that anime viewers have come to expect.
To make it more clear, he's just a normal player who plays a game with a high level character.
Old 2012-10-05, 22:03   Link #1606
Znail

Quote:
I wouldn't have much problems with Kirito if being a competent gamer was his sole skill. But he also has detective-tier deductive skills, and is also a highly skilled programmer (or so it seems). There's also the fact that every girl he meets wants into his pants.

All in all, it's a bit too much. He doesn't need to be an everyman, but he doesn't need to be like this either. A middle ground would work best imo.

EDIT: I forgot, he also has the perfect mindset to live in that world, and that goes beyond being a skilled gamer.
Well, in my generation being a computer gamer and knowing computer programing was quite a common combination of hobbies. Not being stupid isn't that uncommon either. Being popular with girls is obviously not everyones lot though. But still, I could still line up quite a few people that fit that description.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 01:19   Link #1607
Marina2

it is interesting to know where will they end ep.14

If it ends at Kirito wakes up in hospital, people will rage like..

"WTF, so the whole [you die in the game = you die in real life] is alll bullshit. This show has lost all of it tension. Dropped."
Old 2012-10-06, 01:25   Link #1608
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post

"WTF, so the whole [you die in the game = you die in real life] is alll bullshit. This show has lost all of it tension. Dropped."
It'll depends in the coming preview of episode 15... If there would be no clue if she is alive or not... many "anime only" viewers will assume she has past away...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 01:56   Link #1609
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:

When that happens, I think I'll say:

Spoiler for LB!Refrain ending...:
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 03:40   Link #1610
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

And then they all come running back to troll when GGO comes out. I'll laugh.

Still can't wait for later, sadly I can't be on to see the train wreck as I have an event to go to in the morning. Heh

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 03:46   Link #1611
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
And then they all come running back to troll when GGO comes out. I'll laugh.

Still can't wait for later, sadly I can't be on to see the train wreck as I have an event to go to in the morning. Heh
Just a few hours until we can tell where exactly episode 14 is going to end at. Oh... and the upcoming RAGE in so many flavours
Old 2012-10-06, 03:58   Link #1612
Esebian

Quote:

Well, but isn't it his perfect mindset that backfires in the Gary Stu discussion? I mean what do you need to be to have such mindset? Well obviously you would need to be a computer nerd, and I can't see how being a nerd is something overly good. IMO it's exactly his mindset that differs him greatly from being a Gary Stu or sb like that.

Btw for being a Gary Stu in a computer game, you need nothing more than much freetime, a good knowledge about skills and builds and obviously the will to play your whole freetime ^^. Packed with the correct mindset you'll have your Gary Stu for sure.
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 04:34   Link #1613
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:

Before Kirito wakes up, there's a scene where Kayaba and Kirito having a talk in the fight afterwards. Kayaba explained clearly that the people who were dead were really killed by the microwave shock but he made an exception for Kirito and Asuna. So I think if the anime doesn't omit that part, the anime-only viewers should know that Kirito and Asuna were the only exception to survive after ingame death.
Old 2012-10-06, 04:58   Link #1614
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Behold, Kirito's sister:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, it appears the episode title for ep18 is "To the World Tree".
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 05:39   Link #1615
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Behold, Kirito's sister:
Images

Then it seems like the fight between Kirito and Eugene will be around episode 18 as I predicted before.
Old 2012-10-06, 06:42   Link #1616
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Behold, Kirito's sister:
Images

Ahh, Lyfa looks pretty awesome in anime form. :3
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:18   Link #1617
Peanutbutter

Wow, the ep 14 trailer. Everything in that episode is a spoiler.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:28   Link #1618
zaz122

You know what I feel is gonna happen? A-1 will animate Kirito waking up from the game and his body will not be hooked up to any life support system at all. And the kicker will be that there will be no signs of him "withering away".
zaz122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:36   Link #1619
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Behold, Kirito's sister:
Images

Her anime form: can only say... love love love.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:38   Link #1620
teja208
Critical fanboy

Ok people let's brace ourselves for the absolute chaos that is episode 14 discussion thread.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote