AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-02-27, 20:59   Link #101
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
According to the research that I made, that game/trick is called kancho in Japan and there is considered most to be a childish prank performed by young children.

Is it that very common among school-aged children to perform kancho on unsuspecting victims, mainly peers their own age, in Japan?

Is it this prank a possible counterpart or equivalent to the wedgie prank in USA?
No. It is something only japan is sick enough to come up with. Go read http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html and http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacherfaq.html
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 21:24   Link #102
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
In Naruto, mainly Kakashi clasps hands together so the index fingers are pointing out and attempting to insert them into (most the time) Naruto's anal region when he (the victim) is not looking. That is called Thousand Years of Pain/Death technique.

According to the research that I made, that game/trick is called kancho in Japan and there is considered most to be a childish prank performed by young children.

Is it that very common among school-aged children to perform kancho on unsuspecting victims, mainly peers their own age, in Japan?

Is it this prank a possible counterpart or equivalent to the wedgie prank in USA?
Not knowing what a wedgie was, I searched the internet, and came up with the conclusion: yes. Much like kids in any other country have pranks related to embarassment. I assume most kids (mainly "immature" boys) love yucky stuff as a young child - playing in the dirt, mud, squishing and stomping on ants, and pranking on unsuspecting victims in the form of wedgies, wet willies, impossible sit ups, etc. etc. while the girls sigh "boys are so stupid."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 23:13   Link #103
Pleroma

Please oh please go here: http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

for the funniest damn take on japanese life from a Gaijin's point of view ever. Every entry is worth the read.
Pleroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 22:31   Link #104
AnimeFangirl

What I don't understand in these high school shows is that in winter the girls switch to a uniform with long sleeves but the skirts are as short as ever! Their thighs must FREEZE on those cold winter days.
Old 2006-03-18, 01:34   Link #105
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
What I don't understand in these high school shows is that in winter the girls switch to a uniform with long sleeves but the skirts are as short as ever! Their thighs must FREEZE on those cold winter days.
This reminds me of the final episode of Zettai Shounen where Kisa finally decides to do what she's supposed to, so she puts on her regulation skirt and goes to school. (She never wore that short skirt before.) While walking to school with her friend she complains about how cold her legs are and the response is something like, "you know that you are a real high school girl when your legs go numb from the cold!"

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 02:12   Link #106
Knowname

Growing up in Hawaii, the closest thing American's can get to Japan while being able to read the street signs (well... unless your reading out loud I SWEAR! IT'S HANAPA'A ELEMENTARY! OR WAILUA BEACH OR EVEN ALA WAI CANAL! WHY CAN'T YOU PRONOUNCE THIS STUFF?!!!). So stuff like wet kids = sick is rather, well DUH!! too me. My take on the 'Tokyo' schools/ vending machine thing. IT'S ALL MARKETING!! Of coarse their always gonna buy their lunches at school, SURELEY you've come across the lists of sponsors before it starts. Of coarse their gonna be striveing to go to the BIG expensive school cuz it's their *only* chance for a job. One thing you tend to miss, they have commercials in Japan too -_-.

Aah to be locked out of school again (happened to me in Oregon... my Hawaii k-8 had a fence too, probly to keep the beach bums out, I never thought twice about it... but an automatic one that would CRUSH a kid that's brutal) or to get caught in the rain again (in Hawaii only where the rain is 50-60 degrees and it's actually ENJOYABLE to sit out there for HOURS... not up here in the states where it's friggen FREEZEING).

Anyway I had a question... I read in that teacher page (HILLARIOUS stuff ;p from a year ago) that kids rareley leave their classrooms at lunch... I mean I read they can't, but apparently they CAN somewhat, though 2/3rds of Azu Daioh etc. is in the classroom. But anyway. I can see how that can work on a kid's psyche (any idea WHY they do this??? I mean barring comradery but I wouldn't think it's worth it...) so maybe their are alot of jealousy and stuff to go around. But, what I'm getting at here is, are dilinquents really THAT rampant?? I mean in some school animes the gangs seem even rather unchecked (I mean non-action ones like Tenshi no Konaimiki or Cromartie, not over the top action ones like... well I don't even like those so I don't remember em, Tenjo Tenge is the closest I can think of! I mean I know how the Yakuza or mobs can be, but even they have rules they follow. Maybe I'm even somewhat naive to american juvinile activity, but c'mon! A school for badass'?? I'm rather positive we don't have fights behind the gym EVERY day.... I mean, maybe, and on the school yard ;p, but it just seems like it's still medieval <sp?> sometimes... I mean, knife fights ON CAMPUS!!

... OK I go hide in my box now, pls answer -_-
Knowname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 03:03   Link #107
IvIi2.Hwang

Well, Previously i had attended publics schools in Northern Taiwan, according to my grandmother and some relatives who spend way to much time in japan and not enough in America with their family...... they say the school systems are quite similar to how my School was, so i'll give my thoughts...

We ate our lunch in the class, and we did have bullies some kids would do things just to torment others and i mean REALLY bad things, i can recall a situation where a couple of guys cut the pigtails off of a girl, for kicks i guess... punks... oh and the school uniforms .... what a sight .... we didn't get good uniforms .. **Twitch** i'll never wear a button up shirt again

Anyways my big question, since i didn't read all the posts as this thread is much to long i wish to ask about the following things "Confessions" now my better judgement already tells me to ignore this overblown part of anime but do people accctually Confess the way they do... like that... i wouldn't know my old school never had a roof top
IvIi2.Hwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 04:10   Link #108
Knowname

Thanks for the insight, yeah, that's what I meant, pretty much just shocking events in general. Kinda' like the bullying stuff that was covered (and I read through that, just my question was a little different. I felt ;p). I also feel just like that quoted guy, if your not gonna show some initiative for yourself I'm DEFFINITELEY not gonna show some for you. What KJ said is sometimes your beaten before you even start. Well look at it from the other guys perspective, say he doesn't know your beaten and all he sees is a pathetic show of... patheticness. What do you expect?? sometimes it's good to fight back just... to fight back, just to get a reaction ;p from the bully and those around you. And not just in this, you can adjust a few things according to the situation and put this in a bussiness situation or even employment. It's not so much what you do, but who you know, their's no such thing as bad advertisement, you can even learn to respect that Miyazaki rapist-murderer guy (want him dead but respect him for being an icon and pioneer). Before I step off the podium I'll finish my rant with this, 'it's all about the presentation'.

oh, and I'll tell you this, a girl never confessed to me -_-.

also thankyou for this

"Next time you watch anime, keep in mind that compulsory education is only up to middle school. You'll be surprised about the hidden meanings that you may have missed when you watched the first time.

(1)That is why you see Asakura Nemu going off to a vocational school after she graduated middle school in "D.C. ~da capo~" whereas her brother went on the the high school campus along with Kotori and the rest of the characters."

that was on the tip of my tongue upon entering into this thread, and answered before I even said anything.
Knowname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 05:53   Link #109
Mephisto2k
anime4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroma

for the funniest damn take on japanese life from a Gaijin's point of view ever. Every entry is worth the read.

OMG!!
thats too funny!!!
i just read the first few articles but his school life is too funny. and the ppls there^^.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 09:29   Link #110
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
No. It is something only japan is sick enough to come up with. Go read http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html and http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacherfaq.html
*reads*
LMAO So that's what Kakashi did! The clouds of confusion have been lifted!
Old 2006-03-18, 09:32   Link #111
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroma

I spent two afternoons to read thru all of it a while ago (at that time, around 90 articles), and I check it every day. It is addictive and funny as hell.
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote