AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 211 60.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 14.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 6.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 5.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 5.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.86%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.58%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 0.86%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 4.03%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-13, 07:35   Link #161
Tiberium Wolf

I can't believe it Fuuko ninja'd 1/3 of the ep.

Anyway if ppl wanted realism then don't go watch anime. You know the laws of anime so you know the drill.
You don't like the ending and don't like Maeda writing. Oh well... Lot of ppl like it and the story is sellable so it's considered good. What can't not be sold will always be forgotten.

BTW, can anyone tell the song name they used at mid ep before Fuuko appearance?
Old 2009-03-13, 07:40   Link #162
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
why are so many people feeling down about the fact it had a happy ending ?
i loved the ending
after all the shit that happend to the characters they deserved a happy ending
if i want a super downer ending anime i would just watch saikano again
Old 2009-03-13, 07:43   Link #163
cbatty
Such is liff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
And in my case, after rewatching the episode with subs, I tried doing away with whatever preconceived notions of form, theme, life lessons, adherence to reality and rational analysis I has when I first saw. At this point I realized something.

Nagisa is alive. Ushio is alive. Tomoya has his family back. By whatever means or ends, the 3 of them can finally enjoy the happiness they have long struggled to find. The happiness they have long deserved.

And at the end of the day, THAT'S what's important.
Yeah - well said. Overall, that's why I loved this episode so much.
Old 2009-03-13, 07:44   Link #164
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

I only gave the ending an 8. Ithought it was a very nice one, but it may have been done in a better way.
As much as I love Fuuko, I thought her part at the end was a bit too long. It may be due to the fact that I didn't fully understand her role though .

Well, I will miss the serie... and Kotomi-chan u_u'. I would have love to see more of her...
Old 2009-03-13, 07:53   Link #165
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I'm a total sucker for happy endings, so this gets a 10 out of me.

It's an extremely rare thing for a story of any kind to resonate with me on a level I can honestly relate to. The last such story was the movie Big Fish, from which I drew several parallels to my relationship with my own father. I found it to be a terrific movie and it holds a special place among my movie recommendations.

I've been watching anime now for more than half my life (got into it when I was 15) and while it's been a fun ride so far I really haven't found any stories within anime that really got to me until I found Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~. As I've said in my thoughts a few episodes ago, I'm a father myself of two wonderful kids. I have an amazing wife who I love to no end and who loves me back. I was raised to believe that two things matter above everything else in life: family and friends. Watching Tomoya's journey from being a self-absorbed delinquent to the man he became thanks to the support of his friends and loves ones has been an affirmation of my belief in the importance of these things.

To be sure, he got to his destination the hard way, and for a while there he did lose sight of the goal. No one is perfect, though, and we all waver from time to time. The true measure of any person is how they face adversity. In spite of all the hardship he faced, Tomoya did come around and re-dedicated himself to his family even if it means a life without Nagisa at his side. In spite of his own perceptions of his father, he found it in his heart to forgive him his indiscretions and help him find happiness as well. That all speaks to a strength of character that you simply will not find in a lead character in most stories, be they on paper or on the screen, live action or animated.

Ultimately, though, no one can live being 100% magnanimous. You have to want something for yourself as well in life. For a long time, Tomoya didn't seem to want to let himself be happy. To an extent I believe he thought that happiness was simply something he was not meant to have so he decided to make others' happiness his own. That just doesn't work, though. If you don't want anything, you never change. If you don't change you don't grow, and as Nagisa said at the very beginning nothing can stay the same way forever. Not even Tomoya's own misery, which he ended himself when he admitted how important Nagisa was to him. When he called out her name it was with such passion that it shook me.

It is rather fitting (and even perhaps a little ironic in a way) that allowing himself that moment of happiness is what saved not only his own life but that of Nagisa and Ushio as well. But then it's also bringing things full circle. Both Nagisa and Ushio saved Tomoya from a bleak, solitary, meandering, meaningless life, after all. I think that's how most guys who get married and have families feel about their wives and children, at least I know that's how I feel. And while I don't come from the same background or go through the same trials in life as Tomoya, it's a message I get loud and clear.

Kudos to KyoAni for also presenting the ending in a way that can be construed as being either completely mystical or completely not. The sudden jump back in time to Ushio's birth leaves things at least somewhat open to interpretation. Did Tomoya really go through all that hardship and then wish for a different life, or was it all simply just a nightmarish hallucination as Nagisa lay there laboring to deliver their child? I'm sure most fans of the series, especially those who played the game, will say it was the former. I, however, am completely comfortable looking at it either way. I suppose it depends on your own feelings about the supernatural as to which perspective feels more right, so to each his or her own.

As for the Fuko ending...let's be honest, we all wanted to see a little more Fuko before the very end. She is rather cute, after all. A bit touched (and by "touched" I mean "bludgeoned with a ball peen hammer"), but cute.

Now I will sit back, enjoy whatever extra bits we get in episode 23, wonder if episode 24 will be another DVD-only thing (please more Kyou oh please oh please oh please) and hope that the rumors of a Tomoyo After movie are for real.
Old 2009-03-13, 07:55   Link #166
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatty View Post
Yeah - well said. Overall, that's why I loved this episode so much.
I still gave the episode an 8, at least from a technical perspective.
Old 2009-03-13, 07:56   Link #167
Fishman

Why is everybody saying this is a happy ending? If this is all a hallucination(as i assume it is because of the incoherence in the episode) then nothing is solved, the last scene with Fuuko finding Ushio can be seen as the result of Tomoya dropping Ushio's corpse under the tree and then commiting suicide, why is everyone assuming a happy ending when nothing was made clear this episode? I think my interpretation is way better, screw dues ex machina.
Old 2009-03-13, 07:58   Link #168
Moogster

I have a question about Tomoyo.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-13, 08:01   Link #169
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogster View Post

Spoiler:
I'd assume that's more like a look of reflection rather than a sad one.
Old 2009-03-13, 08:09   Link #170
hydropod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogster View Post

Spoiler:
Its almost same as one of the game CGs from Tomoyo After.... Even the clothes are the same.....
Old 2009-03-13, 08:09   Link #171
rapidfire

At the end showing all the characters:
Spoiler for episode:
Old 2009-03-13, 08:14   Link #172
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
the last scene with Fuuko finding Ushio can be seen as the result of Tomoya dropping Ushio's corpse under the tree and then commiting suicide,
Ushio is quite clearly breathing in that scene. Therefore that interpetation is wrong.

Quote:
I think my interpretation is way better, screw dues ex machina.
If that's how you want it, fine. But I, and many others it seems, prefer an ending on a more upbeat note. Makes it easier to rewatch in the future. Compare to Air for example, emotional and has that "realism" you want so badly, but it's so painful, you hardly want to watch it ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire View Post
Spoiler for episode:
Spoiler for indentities:
Old 2009-03-13, 08:18   Link #173
hydropod

Well...
Quote:
Spoiler for episode:
= =
Old 2009-03-13, 08:21   Link #174
Fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Ushio is quite clearly breathing in that scene. Therefore that interpetation is wrong.
or perhaps air escaping from her corpse?
Old 2009-03-13, 08:23   Link #175
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Air does not "Escape" from a corpse...
Old 2009-03-13, 08:24   Link #176
Marina2

Quote:
Spoiler for episode:
Spoiler for answer:
Old 2009-03-13, 08:27   Link #177
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I was actually wondering why those two were even included in the final montage when they weren't even characters needed for the light orbs... at least in the original.
Old 2009-03-13, 08:29   Link #178
hydropod

Quote:
I was actually wondering why those two were even included in the final montage when they weren't even characters needed for the light orbs... at least in the original.
I guess since a certain Kappei got shafted they have to find someone else for that "orb"?
Old 2009-03-13, 08:37   Link #179
Fishman

Quote:
Air does not "Escape" from a corpse...
I see you missed my point, the episode is so ambiguous that any interpretation is fine. Episodes 21 and 22 are both final episodes, alternative endings, pick which one you like and move on.

Last edited by Fishman; 2009-03-13 at 08:49.
Old 2009-03-13, 08:46   Link #180
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
I see you missed my point, the episode is so ambiguous that any interpretation is fine. Episodes 22 and 23 are both final episodes, alternative endings, pick which one you like and move on.
22 is the end of the series, stated both by the title which notes it as the final episode and by the big "owari" kanji after the Fuko sequence. The only ambiguity is whether you believe it to be a mystical ending or not.

If I had to wager a guess, 23 is actually going to be episode 1 of Clannad only told from Nagisa's POV instead of Tomoya's.

Finally, you can quit the trolling/flamebaiting anytime now. I give you a 2/10 for your efforts, but only because it's a Friday and I'm feeling generous.
Closed Thread