AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-15, 12:21   Link #1
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Google Wave - Sick Features, still buggy, what do you (dis)like?

So how many people here have had the chance to test out Google Wave? And what do you think of it?

So far i've had some fun playing around with the features (wave feature - convos, editing in real time) and the playback function which is great! It's still a bit buggy sometimes, but it's a nice layout, and it looks pretty good.

Though i must say, it'll probably still be a while before they can push this out to the public.

I can take a few screen shots for those who want to see, but there are videos lying around on youtube...

So for those of you who DO have google wave, what do you like about it so far/dislike about it?
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 12:55   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That whole editing in real time when messaging thing sounds awful. I guess it would appeal as a funny gimmick at first but you'll find it quickly becoming irritating.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 13:00   Link #3
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That whole editing in real time when messaging thing sounds awful. I guess it would appeal as a funny gimmick at first but you'll find it quickly becoming irritating.
Well with the playback function you can see what they're editing, what got edited (it gets highlighted too). I mean sure, with some friends they might do some stupid geeky things, but saying you're doing something serious? For work? etc.? Seems like a good concept on paper, idk how it will play out in the end though.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 13:05   Link #4
Woopzilla
Desensitized

ICQ had/has a real-time editing function for as long as I can remember and it really does just seem like a gimmick.

I prefer to write out a message and revise it later. Depending on what you're talking about, you might have second thoughts of sending it after typing something.

Well something like:
1: Hey whatsup? How are you?
2: HEY FOOL My dear friend, I HATE SMALLTALK WTF DO YOU WANT is there something you require?

Okay maybe not... but it probably will only be used for fun.
Old 2009-11-30, 01:13   Link #5
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
still haven't used it much. not enough contacts YET.
Old 2009-11-30, 05:11   Link #6
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I've been given an invite for this, so I'll find out soon enough.
I can see it being used in fansubbing for editing between the editor+translator if both input was neede to clear over some unclear parts, otherwise not sure how it'll fare.

Watching this space for feedback from any other testers

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 08:00   Link #7
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I don't think Google Wave is the future. I think it's going to be a great stop-gap until the future gets here, though.

I haven't (yet) fiddled with it enough to comment on the more advanced features. I simply have one complaint right now: Making indented replies is too awkward. So far the only way I've been able to reliably make an indented reply is to create a section beneath and then click in the area for a reply. I absolutely cannot fathom why clicking in the area used for a reply has a different action depending on whether there is a section beneath.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 11:58   Link #8
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
If anyone wants an invite, PM me with your Gmail/email

Other than that, the hype is definitely greater than what it actually is like, but still, pretty useful for taking notes in class with friends.
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 13:46   Link #9
Rickrolled
Not sure if want~

well i try with firefox soo lagggggggg

friend of mine ask me to use google chrome and safari
a bit fast actually ..just a BIT but still the lag issue still there
*opera crash on me*

i dont like this wave for now ..
i hope google will do something with the lag ~

and when we spam and reply it seem that u can even edit the person post
; / ... The nested reply is irritating ~

..i dont really see it's usefull for me atm ~
Rickrolled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 15:08   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I haven't got a invite about Google Wave, but I have heard alot about it... Personally, I currently don't have any use for it since I'm not corroborating with anyone in a project and I prefer Twitter for microblogging since it's instant and can be used on any device.
Old 2009-11-30, 16:15   Link #11
Choukou

Send a message via AIM to Choukou Send a message via MSN to Choukou Send a message via Yahoo to Choukou
I think it has the greatest potential in areas where group collaboration is needed. Think: long distance conferencing projects, group papers/projects etc where you need to work together, but you're not able to get together in person.

I like it, but it is quite laggy! I've had the best luck with Waveboard for OS X.
Choukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 17:49   Link #12
dasrune
smh

i thought about getting google wave because a friend of mine offered me an invite. right now it doesnt seem to have a practical use just seems like a novelty, so i dont see any reason to jump on board. who knows though maybe in the future itll develop into something more.
dasrune is offline   Reply With Quote