AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-09, 20:52   Link #15601
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is this the 1960s or something?
Old 2011-08-09, 21:53   Link #15602
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

By the word "hosing" I thought you guys meant using the MG.....

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-08-09, 22:14   Link #15603
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Wyoming bills would crack down on shell companies
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77854420110809
Quote:
The move follows a Reuters investigation in June that showed how Wyoming, Nevada and Delaware have become popular business-secrecy destinations at a time when Washington is demanding other countries improve financial and corporate transparency.

Reuters found that one 1,700-square-foot house in Cheyenne is home to more than 2,000 firms, including hundreds of shell companies -- paper-only firms with few assets. Some of those firms have been used to shield real estate for a jailed former prime minister of Ukraine, sell fake parts to the Pentagon and process payments for illegal online gambling
Old 2011-08-09, 23:09   Link #15604
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Is this the 1960s or something?
I hope it just stays at that level, like with Europe's massive protests in 1968. There was some rioting, debating, and knocking heads, and Charles de Gaulle ended up resigning as French president a year later, but it obviously wasn't the end of the world.
Old 2011-08-09, 23:51   Link #15605
flying ^

.... i haven't kept up with London riots but i'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks this is starting to mirror the '92 L.A. riots (the chain of events and scale of destruction)
Old 2011-08-10, 00:04   Link #15606
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
No sense of right or wrong, no responsibility for their own lives, blaming it on the 'rich' people or the 'goverment' and they literally said 'we proved that the police cannot touch us'. Guess they were right.
I'm not going to say what they did (are doing) is right, because riots are never a good thing for any society. Riots are a bit like fire, regardless of whatever the spark was they can quickly burn out of control if not stamped out quick. There are better, healthier, more productive ways of mass protest.

However - it has been a volatile year and all it takes is a spark to encourage people to do stupid things, riots or not. Even if many of these people are simply in it "for the lulz" (trivial reasons essentially), there is the underpinning of disenfranchisement with the establishment that helps create the conditions for mass civil unrest.

Unfortunately what I fear is that once the riots are squashed, everyone will move on to something else and ignore the causes for social collapses like this.
Old 2011-08-10, 01:17   Link #15607
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

The riots came up over dinner with some older friends of mine. One (who is still a hippie) wondered why this kind of "active social movement" hasn't happened in the US even in lighter tones (she'd been very active in a number of movements and protests back in the 60s among other things) considering similarities in social injustice and I jokingly said maybe it's because most Americans are too overweight to be that active. Then we talked about how the demographic who may have been motivated to march or protest (or just riot) in the states during her youth are probably too absorbed in raging at each other or preaching to thin air on blogs, forums, or on other social media sites.

Thoughts?
Old 2011-08-10, 01:47   Link #15608
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
The riots came up over dinner with some older friends of mine. One (who is still a hippie) wondered why this kind of "active social movement" hasn't happened in the US...

hello???

where were you in 2009 and 2010?

there was a genuine movement called the tea party.

the tea party movement is a fine example of how to conduct civilized peaceful protest (and later gain legitimacy and victory) without resorting to questionable Alinsky-ite radical tactics

oh,

if you're thinking euro-style... hell no!... U.S. won't stoop that low!

ever wonder why you won't see euro-style shenanigans in the U.S.?

guns!
... and law abiding citizens & store owners have 'em! (except if you're in selected democrat ctrld city/county)

dipshit trouble making ass hats (as seen in london and paris) better think twice before fucking with anybodies shit!

Last edited by flying ^; 2011-08-10 at 02:09.
Old 2011-08-10, 01:49   Link #15609
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
hello???

where were you in 2009 and 2010?

there was a genuine movement called the tea party.

the tea party movement is a fine example of how to conduct civilized peaceful protest (and later gain legitimacy and victory) without resorting Alinsky-ite tactics
Something with young people trying to bring down government. Old people have too much time on their hands.
Old 2011-08-10, 02:13   Link #15610
GundamFan0083

Wisconsin Republicans Keep Senate Control After Recalls in Win for Walker
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...or-walker.html

I imagine this jibe at the Dems is appropriate:

...that's what happens when you run away from your responsibilities.
Old 2011-08-10, 02:56   Link #15611
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
...that's what happens when you run away from your responsibilities.
Remind me again how gaining two more seats for Democrats and demonstrating that even in deep red districts Democratic candidates stood a chance and put up a strong fight is a failure?

Oh I know, everyone was hoping for the best case scenario - flipping majorities. But let's not pretend that this was a total defeat for the recall movement.

At least the Wisconsin Dems did what they thought was needed to make a stand.
Old 2011-08-10, 03:22   Link #15612
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
oh,

if you're thinking euro-style... hell no!... U.S. won't stoop that low!

ever wonder why you won't see euro-style shenanigans in the U.S.?

guns!
... and law abiding citizens & store owners have 'em! (except if you're in selected democrat ctrld city/county)
There are big cities in the US where shop owners pay gangs for protection (similar to the various types of mafia in europe). So, if some people start to riot, these gangs certainly will try to protect their source of income using guns. Most of the time the law abiding citizens don't even know about this.
The question is, what costs more lifes on the long run... up armed gangs, or a riot once in a while. I am not saying that something could be done to change the situation in a fair way. The guns are there to stay, if legislation forbids law abiding citizens to own them, this would give the thugs (who own them illegaly) an advantage (certainly a worst case scenario for the law abiding people).
Old 2011-08-10, 03:33   Link #15613
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
They don't have the manpower for that, and plus it'd probably just escalate the violence. Water cannons are good for dispersing angry mobs--it doesn't hurt them or give them any real reason to run to the lawyers and sue for brutality. They just get a little wet, a little cold, and feel a lot stupid. It really does take the fight out of them.
With all those no win no fee solicitors, people are trying to sue for everything, no matter how stupid it is. They probably would claim that they were trying to drown them at that caused them distress and blah blah blah. Human right for the win...

BTW amazon UK shows that a lot of people are ordering kubotan, baseball bats and other battering tools.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:00   Link #15614
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Fury brewing at ratings agencies as markets gyrate
http://blogs.reuters.com/reuters-mon...-markets-tank/
Quote:
So let me get this straight.

Ratings agencies helped spark the financial meltdown of 2008-9, when they deemed that steaming piles of mortgage junk were brimming with triple-A goodness. They were wrong – and epically so.

Now S&P downgrades the debt of the entire country, further threatens to do so another notch, teams with fellow ratings agencies to bring Europe to its knees with each new appraisal and gets an assist for wiping trillions in wealth from investors’ portfolios in just a few days.

Anyone else think the ratings agencies need a time out?
Old 2011-08-10, 06:25   Link #15615
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Fury brewing at ratings agencies as markets gyrate
http://blogs.reuters.com/reuters-mon...-markets-tank/
Well they made a mistake last time, I am sure they are taking extreme measures this time round not to do so again.

I think it is a good think that they did the downgrade, because the US government needs to know that the Tea Party is screwing around with them and messing up the economy, and that the European government needs to get rid of the Euro, or get the PIGS to straighten out their finances.

With the fury, what does the market want exactly from the rating agencies? Sugar-coating bad news, or not making any mistakes at all so they could rely on stock talkers to make their trading easier?

These people need to take some responsibility for their personal finances FFS. Or else, don't trade, and go work under the heel of Big Corp.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:39   Link #15616
JMvS
Rawrrr!

After many joked with the idea, here it comes:

Gaddafi asks for Cameron to leave office.

Quote:
Muammar Gaddafi's regime, which London and it's NATO allies efforce themselves to dislodge, called this Wednesday for UK prime minister David Cameron to leave office, considering that he had "lost all legitimacy" following the riots which are shaking the UK.

"Cameron and his government must leave after the popular rallies against them and the violent repression exacted by the police against those who participated in those peaceful gatherings", declared Libyan vice-minister of Foreign Affairs, Khaled Kaaim, according to official agency Jana.

"Cameron and his government lost all legitimacy", he added. According to him, "these rallies show that the british people reject this government, which tries to impose itslef by force."

Mr. Kaaim has called "the security council and the international community to not stay idle in face of the blatant agression against the rights of the british people".
Source: Figaro/AFP
Old 2011-08-10, 06:42   Link #15617
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

It reminds me Paris in 2005.

Great that Britain people are starting to make auto-def but i feel that it'll getting worse with the dead of 3 Pakistanis.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:53   Link #15618
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
After many joked with the idea, here it comes:

Gaddafi asks for Cameron to leave office.

Source: Figaro/AFP
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Peaceful rallies? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Omg, I can't stop laughing at this!
Old 2011-08-10, 06:54   Link #15619
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Dat TROLL
Old 2011-08-10, 06:55   Link #15620
JMvS
Rawrrr!

While Iranian President Ahmadinejad and Zimbabwean President Mugabe join the fray:
Quote:
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad condemned the violent behavior of British police against the riots that have been shaking Britain for four days and asked the Security Council of the intervene, reported State television.

The wild behavior of the British police is unacceptable, said President Ahmadinejad at the exit of the cabinet, according to the website of the television.

Instead of adopting such behavior, British leaders would do better to stand with the people (...) and to listen. Instead of sending troops to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya to plunder the oil, they had better think of their people, he added.

Part of the UK population has lost patience (...) and has no hope in the future, he said.

He also denounced the silence of the United Nations. If one hundredth of the crimes were committed in a country hostile to the West, the United Nations and the organizations that claim to defend human rights would have shouted (...) This is a test for the Security Council to see if he dares to condemn one of its permanent members, he said.

British police arrested 770 people over the four nights of rioting that hit London first, and major cities of England, according to latest figures provided Wednesday by the police.

In 2009, Britain and other Western countries have condemned Iran for having used violence against the protests that followed the controversial re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Tehran has described the conviction of interference.

Dozens of people were killed in opposition protests denouncing massive fraud. Thousands of people were also arrested, including several hundred were sentenced to long terms in prison.

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe for his part, said Tuesday that Britain should deal with the current riots in several of its cities and leave Zimbabwe alone.

"Great Britain, do I understand, is on fire, particularly London and we hope they can turn it off, they take care of their internal problems and the fire that spreads and leave us alone", says Mugabe In a speech to mark Armed Forces Day.
Source: AFP

In the meantime, China's first aircraft carrier goes at sea:

video

Quote:
The Chinese navy's first aircraft carrier has begun its sea trials, the state-run Xinhua news agency has said.

It quoted military sources as saying that the refitted former Soviet warship left its shipyard in the north-east and the trial "would not take a long time".

The move is likely to raise fresh concerns over China's rapid military build-up.

Beijing is currently involved in several maritime territorial disputes, particularly in the South China Sea.

The aircraft carrier left its shipyard at Dalian Port in northeast Liaoning Province on Wednesday morning, Xinhua reported.

"Military sources said that the first sea trial was in line with the schedule of the carrier refitting project," it said.

"After returning from the sea trial, the aircraft carrier will continue refit and test work."

Xinhua did not provide any further details.
Source: BBC

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international