AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-04, 16:05   Link #2521
Tenzen12

Actualy I am generaly indifferent to Key adaptations. They NEVER pair protagonist with girl I like and usualy opposite. (With exception of both Clannad alternative routes), though busters was first that made me genuinely bored.
Old 2013-08-04, 20:58   Link #2522
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
For me a simple dislike(due to my preference). I hate anime with huge ass fillers such as Gintama, OP, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail etc.....

I mean come on, if you wanna animate something, STICK TO WHATEVER YOU'RE ADAPTING FROM AND DON'T THROW IN RUBBISH IN BETWEEN(especially if they fillers takes up like more than 30% of the episodes count).

I for one, watches anime for story and hate finding out which episode or whatnot are fillers and skip them.

So many anime have been thrown out...I don't see a point for fillers at all.
I don't care for filler either, but in all fairness, it usually has to do with the anime catching up to the manga, and not being able to proceed because the main story hasn't been written yet. In the case of something like Bleach, it's bad because it just makes a ridiculously long and not especially interesting story even longer without really adding anything. In the case of Naruto, the filler is terrible because Naruto and everything pertaining to Naruto is, in itself, terrible and shouldn't be watched by anyone.

However, it's not always universally bad. There were a couple of episodes and story arcs in Inuyasha that weren't in the original manga that I found to be kind of entertaining. I feel like there are probably more examples than this, although I'm hard pressed to think of any. I guess sometimes those derpy, pointless fanservice episodes can break up the monotony of a series, but usually that sort of thing tends to be a waste of just about everyone's time.

Mostly, though, if you're going to watch a long-running show, you should probably expect to run into some filler; it's pretty much all the animation staff can do to kill time and still retain the interest of the fanbase while waiting for the manga author to write more of the main story.

http://www.therealmuffin.net

http://music.therealmuffin.net</plug>
Old 2013-08-05, 05:03   Link #2523
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Actualy I am generaly indifferent to Key adaptations. They NEVER pair protagonist with girl I like and usualy opposite. (With exception of both Clannad alternative routes), though busters was first that made me genuinely bored.
Eh....one thing to note, anime adapted from KEY's VN ALWAYS takes the route of the main heroine. If you want the others so much go read the VN. You're given the chance to choose then >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
I don't care for filler either, but in all fairness, it usually has to do with the anime catching up to the manga, and not being able to proceed because the main story hasn't been written yet. In the case of something like Bleach, it's bad because it just makes a ridiculously long and not especially interesting story even longer without really adding anything. In the case of Naruto, the filler is terrible because Naruto and everything pertaining to Naruto is, in itself, terrible and shouldn't be watched by anyone.

However, it's not always universally bad. There were a couple of episodes and story arcs in Inuyasha that weren't in the original manga that I found to be kind of entertaining. I feel like there are probably more examples than this, although I'm hard pressed to think of any. I guess sometimes those derpy, pointless fanservice episodes can break up the monotony of a series, but usually that sort of thing tends to be a waste of just about everyone's time.

Mostly, though, if you're going to watch a long-running show, you should probably expect to run into some filler; it's pretty much all the animation staff can do to kill time and still retain the interest of the fanbase while waiting for the manga author to write more of the main story.
That's the thing I can never understand. I mean if you have real fans, they should be able to keep up the wait. I've personally waited for anime that have delayed airing episodes due to the Earthquake sometime back. Being a fan of the anime(I liked the anime a lot), I don't mind the wait.

If you wanna appease the fans by using such shallow methods, I don't see why should the person even adapt the manga/LN/VN into an anime then.

To me, adaptation could be kept as close as possible.
Old 2013-08-05, 05:27   Link #2524
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
That's the thing I can never understand. I mean if you have real fans, they should be able to keep up the wait. I've personally waited for anime that have delayed airing episodes due to the Earthquake sometime back. Being a fan of the anime(I liked the anime a lot), I don't mind the wait.

If you wanna appease the fans by using such shallow methods, I don't see why should the person even adapt the manga/LN/VN into an anime then.

To me, adaptation could be kept as close as possible.
>_>

You are aware that some of these shounen shows will be given up a very good airing time (early in the morning because it is targetted towards children, unlike most "otaku" anime airing at late night) if they have to stop just because they ran out original material?
Also shows like One piece, Naruto and Toriko have very good viewer ratings in japan, so they have no reason to stop adding fillers
Old 2013-08-05, 05:31   Link #2525
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
>_>

You are aware that some of these shounen shows will be given up a very good airing time (early in the morning because it is targetted towards children, unlike most "otaku" anime airing at late night) if they have to stop just because they ran out original material?
Also shows like One piece, Naruto and Toriko have very good viewer ratings in japan, so they have no reason to stop adding fillers
All the more viewers should be able to wait. Just give a notice is more than suffice >.>
Old 2013-08-05, 05:37   Link #2526
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
All the more viewers should be able to wait. Just give a notice is more than suffice >.>
And that is your opinion on this, not theirs. If a show is profitable and it still gets high viewer ratings, why should they stop making them just because people like you who don't like fillers? If you don't like it, then you can easily opt not to watch the anime adaptation and just follow the orinal manga.

Also , wait for what? If let's say that Naruto has to stop, then obviously some other show will take it's airing time. By the time that naruto is going to restart again because it has sufficient material, it won't have the same airing time and some people (little children or people who don't read the manga)might have lost interest . So the ratings can easily suffer from taking a break

Not to mention the fact that it will have to take a break every half year or so , because an anime episode roughly uses up 2-3 manga chapters.

Your hate towards fillers just because it's anime-original isn't realistic. Animes are still primarily made to make profit, not to satisfy fans
Old 2013-08-05, 06:13   Link #2527
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Question: Why can't they just go into re-runs once the anime has caught up to the manga? Then go back into new content once there's enough new manga material to fill up at least a couple seasons worth of episodes.

I mean, even most (all?) hit North American TV shows have an "offseason" to give the show (and viewers of it) a break. Typically, this is in the Summer-time, which in general is heavy on re-runs. It's a pretty rare show that runs 52 new episodes a year.

Quote:
Your hate towards fillers just because it's anime-original isn't realistic.
Oh come on, hyl. He's far, far from alone here. This is probably *the* most common complaint against the long-running shounen shows. There's nothing out of the ordinary about hatred for lengthy fillers. He has every right to share the same displeasure over them that countless other anime fans do.

The reason why I lost interest in Bleach? The Bounts arc.

Quote:
Animes are still primarily made to make profit, not to satisfy fans
False dichotomy. One of the best ways to make a profit is to satisfy your fans/customers.
Old 2013-08-05, 06:22   Link #2528
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Question: Why can't they just go into re-runs once the anime has caught up to the manga? Then go back into new content once there's enough new manga material to fill up at least a couple seasons worth of episodes.
While the fillers tend to have lower viewer ratings, it's still usually higher than reruns

Quote:
I mean, even most (all?) hit North American TV shows have an "offseason" to give the show (and viewers of it) a break. Typically, this is in the Summer-time, which in general is heavy on re-runs. It's a pretty rare show that runs 52 new episodes a year.
I am sure that (children) shows in japan don't work the same way as in Europe or NA.

Quote:
Oh come on, hyl. He's far, far from alone here. This is probably *the* most common complaint against the long-running shounen shows. There's nothing out of the ordinary about hatred for lengthy fillers. He has every right to share the same displeasure over them that countless other anime fans do.
That's why i mentioned, it's not realistic in the sense of how it works in real life. You can hate fillers, but that doesn't stop the makers from creating them. Besides what can you do about it? Long running animes will always catch to mangas

Quote:
False dichotomy. One of the best ways to make a profit is to satisfy your fans/customers.
And yet, the fillers don't seem to affect the profit strongly for any serious action. Otherwise shows like Naruto would have been axed from tv a long time ago

The popular "shounen" children shows like Toriko, Naruto and One piece don't rely on the blu-ray and dvd sales (in fact, as long as it is not a movie, the sales are rather poor) but many other things and most likely the merchandise.
People hate fillers because it acts as padding, but what are the other options?
Taking breaks like Gintama or Fairy Tail or having reruns in some ocassions like One piece? Or simply end the series, like what bleach did?

Besides, not every filler is bad. Detective Conan has been doing many original cases and the ratings are still incredibly high

Quote:
The reason why I lost interest in Bleach? The Bounts arc.
Some people thought that the Full bring arc was worse than the anime-original Bount arc

Last edited by hyl; 2013-08-05 at 06:36.
Old 2013-08-05, 07:42   Link #2529
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
And that is your opinion on this, not theirs. If a show is profitable and it still gets high viewer ratings, why should they stop making them just because people like you who don't like fillers? If you don't like it, then you can easily opt not to watch the anime adaptation and just follow the orinal manga.

Also , wait for what? If let's say that Naruto has to stop, then obviously some other show will take it's airing time. By the time that naruto is going to restart again because it has sufficient material, it won't have the same airing time and some people (little children or people who don't read the manga)might have lost interest . So the ratings can easily suffer from taking a break

Not to mention the fact that it will have to take a break every half year or so , because an anime episode roughly uses up 2-3 manga chapters.

Your hate towards fillers just because it's anime-original isn't realistic. Animes are still primarily made to make profit, not to satisfy fans
I never watch them in the first place. Don't get me wrong. I just dislike the fact that out of so many anime that have been aired for 40 plus years, there have to be a few with fillers.

Btw go do some research before saying that last sentence. That's only true for those anime that's aimed for home media. You're forgetting about others.

Anyway I'm just stating my dislike since it's on topic. Was never saying people shouldn't watch it. Am just wondering why do they do it since I don't see the point here. Don't have to get too riled up you know?
Old 2013-08-05, 07:51   Link #2530
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
I never watch them in the first place. Don't get me wrong. I just dislike the fact that out of so many anime that have been aired for 40 plus years, there have to be a few with fillers.
The majority of every adaptation of non-shounen (battle) mangas have far less fillers. So i am not sure what you are getting at.

Quote:
Btw go do some research before saying that last sentence. That's only true for those anime that's aimed for home media. You're forgetting about others.
My last sentence as in this one?
Quote:
Nothing wrong with that , because I also said these kind of series who don't rely on disc sales ,but on other sources of income likes the sales of merchandise and toys

Quote:
Anyway I'm just stating my dislike since it's on topic. Was never saying people shouldn't watch it. Am just wondering why do they do it since I don't see the point here. Don't have to get too riled up you know?
Your generalized dislike of "fillers" based on such a simply reason that they are anime-original without bothering to think about the reasons why fillers exist was the reason for me to rile me up. It's a design choice when they decided to make such long running anime with fillers. Otherwise these kind of animes had to end with some kind of anime-original ending because the original source can't keep up with the the anime's pacing like the original FMA, Getbackers , Pandora Hearts and many others

What are you going to dislike next? That anime adaptations of Visual novels don't cover every route and if they do cover every route (like some omnibus formatted story) then that each route is told in a half-assed way ?
Old 2013-08-05, 08:05   Link #2531
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
The majority of every adaptation of non-shounen (battle) mangas have far less fillers. So i am not sure what you are getting at.
I'm talking about those I've listed...there might be more out there that I do not know of since I don't watch it anyways.

Quote:
My last sentence as in this one?

Nothing wrong with that , because I also said these kind of series who don't rely on disc sales ,but on other sources of income likes the sales of merchandise and toys
Yea but still these are anime that are aimed at home media. Of ALL home media anime, only those few have loads of fillers. You don't classify home media anime WITH prime time anime. BOTH have different aims and such. I'm sure I'm doing a fair comparison here. I don't believe your points are valid when you're comparing them hence my reason why I don't understand why do they need fillers. You're essentially comparing prime time anime with home media anime.

Now don't tell me other home media anime don't rely on merchandise sales.

Quote:
Your generalized dislike of "fillers" based on such a simply reason that they are anime-original without bothering to think about the reasons why fillers exist was the reason for me to rile me up. It's a design choice when they decided to make such long running anime.

What are you going to dislike next? That anime adaptations of Visual novels don't cover every route?
Nah, if you wanna think that way go ahead. I have stated all my hate in one post. If you don't see them, feel free to assume whatever you want.

Do some proper research before shooting me if you're so interested in getting riled up anyway. I was once like you and got shot back by my friend whose been working in the industry for over 10 years(even now). Your argument is rather flawed. Not saying ALL but some of it which till now you don't see the point.
Old 2013-08-05, 08:11   Link #2532
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
While the fillers tend to have lower viewer ratings, it's still usually higher than reruns
Maybe so, but reruns are already made episodes, while fillers require new production. By not bothering with fillers, I would imagine that anime studios would save a lot of money on production costs.

Quote:
I am sure that (children) shows in japan don't work the same way as in Europe or NA.
Then maybe they should work the same way as in Europe or NA? Then animation studios wouldn't be wasting time on pointless fillers.

Quote:
That's why i mentioned, it's not realistic in the sense of how it works in real life.
Who says it has to work that way? Heck, you yourself pointed out how some long-running anime shows in fact do take the re-run approach, or even go on total hiatus for awhile.

Quote:
You can hate fillers, but that doesn't stop the makers from creating them. Besides what can you do about it?
People don't always express complaint with the hope of actually changing thing. Certainly, hating on a completed show isn't likely to change the content of that show. The show is done, and what's done is done.

People often complain simply to vent, which is just human nature. If any thread is well-suited for people venting, it would be "Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?" don't you think?

Quote:
The popular "shounen" children shows like Toriko, Naruto and One piece don't rely on the blu-ray and dvd sales (in fact, as long as it is not a movie, the sales are rather poor) but many other things and most likely the merchandise.
Which actually supports my preferred take on this, imo. It's not like these filler episodes are likely to sell all that well on DVD/Blu-Ray anyway. It's not like "Oh noes! We must produce loads of filler episodes or we'll be leaving loads of DVD/Blu-Ray money just sitting on the table!"

Quote:
People hate fillers because it acts as padding, but what are the other options?
Taking breaks like Gintama or Fairy Tail or having reruns in some ocassions like One piece?
Bingo.

Quote:
Besides, not every filler is bad. Detective Conan has been doing many original cases and the ratings are still incredibly high.
I can't comment much on Detective Conan as I've never watched the show. But I can see episodic anime original cases working on a show like that. As long as the writing is decent (or better) that's the main thing.

But the thing with the long-running shounen action shows is that everything is supposed to contribute to everything else, narrative-wise. In other words, everything builds on what's already there, creating a nice sense of character/plot growth and cohesion for long-standing fans. But with filler arcs, nothing consequential can happen or develop because that would conflict with the canon material once it starts getting adapted again. So filler arcs tend to come across as "Much Ado About Nothing" as characters can't really grow or develop during them.

Quote:
Your generalized dislike of "fillers" based on such a simply reason that they are anime-original without bothering to think about the reasons why fillers exist was the reason for me to rile me up.
Those reasons don't necessarily make it any better you know. And honestly, I'm amazed at how riled up you're getting on this thread.

Perhaps the most common complaint amongst all anime fans for anime adaptations is the adaptation delving too much into anime-original material. These complaints frankly should not be bothering you so much. They are far and away the most commonplace complaints amongst anime fans. They are very widely shared complaints amongst anime fans, and those complaints are made for good reason.

Quote:
What are you going to dislike next?
He's free to dislike whatever he wants to dislike.
Old 2013-08-05, 08:21   Link #2533
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Anyway hyl, it seems you don't understand how hardcore fans works. OP and other anime go on a hiatus before coming back and when they DO come back after a break, the response was excellent. So I don't see why they can't go on a hiatus since not many anime have that much fillers anyway. All they are competing are among themselves. Other home media anime time slots are much much later than those >.>
Old 2013-08-05, 08:36   Link #2534
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Maybe so, but reruns are already made episodes, while fillers require new production. By not bothering with fillers, I would imagine that anime studios would save a lot of money on production costs.
Reruns can cause people to lose interest in shows, even compared to half-assed fillers. And seeing that some of these shows air at the golden time slots, you can't afford to lose many viewers on such an expensive timeslot.

Quote:
Then maybe they should work the same way as in Europe or NA? Then animation studios wouldn't be wasting time on pointless fillers.
I don't think the system of costs (like buying airing times) work the same in japan

Quote:
Who says it has to work that way? Heck, you yourself pointed out how some long-running anime shows in fact do take the re-run approach, or even go on total hiatus for awhile.
Only a few channels do reruns and there was a rerun of One Piece in HD resolution. That's i mentioned "in some occasions"

Quote:
Bingo.
Gintama lost it's golden time slot and it's on a break again because it's short hiatus caused it catch up with the manga again....
I am just saying that it didn't work out well.

Quote:
I can't comment much on Detective Conan as I've never watched the show. But I can see episodic anime original cases working on a show like that. As long as the writing is decent (or better) that's the main thing.

But the thing with the long-running shounen action shows is that everything is supposed to contribute to everything else, narrative-wise. In other words, everything builds on what's already there, creating a nice sense of character/plot growth and cohesion for long-standing fans. But with filler arcs, nothing consequential can happen or develop because that would conflict with the canon material once it starts getting adapted again. So filler arcs tend to come across as "Much Ado About Nothing" as characters can't really grow or develop during them.
Some fillers can become canon, I think some of the railgun anime fillers have become canon. But i agree that almost every fillers don't contrinute anything to the overall plot and that's why i called it earlier as a form of "padding"

Quote:
Those reasons don't necessarily make it any better you know. And honestly, hyl, I'm amazed at how riled up your getting on this thread.

Perhaps the most common complaint amongst all anime fans for anime adaptations is the adaptation delving too much into anime-original. These complaints frankly should not be bothering you so much. They are far and away the most commonplace complaints amongst anime fans. They are very widely shared complaints amongst anime fans, and those complaints are made for good reason.
I am not defending fillers from the original source's or fan's standpoint, but rather from the financial standpoint of the company making them

Quote:
He's free to dislike whatever he wants to dislike.
That was another example of an anime structure that is not going to change any time soon and complaining about that is just effectve as complaining why there are so many random heroines attracted to the main character in a harem serie

Quote:
Anyway hyl, it seems you don't understand how hardcore fans works. OP and other anime go on a hiatus before coming back and when they DO come back after a break, the response was excellent. So I don't see why they can't go on a hiatus since not many anime have that much fillers anyway. All they are competing are among themselves. Other home media anime time slots are much much later than those >.>
Taking a break results to that some other program taking it's timeslots (as i mentioned earlier, some air during prime time). And do you really expect that the new show is willingly to give back the original timeslot if the hiatus is over?
This is somewhat similar to why the spiderman movie franchise has been rebooted, because if they don't make a movie (regardless if it's good or not) every few years then the rights go back to Marvel

Last edited by hyl; 2013-08-05 at 08:50.
Old 2013-08-05, 09:05   Link #2535
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Taking a break results to that some other program taking it's timeslots (as i mentioned earlier, some air during prime time). And do you really expect that the new show is willingly to give back the original timeslot if the hiatus is over?
This is somewhat similar to why the spiderman movie franchise has been rebooted, because if they don't make a movie (regardless if it's good or not) every few years then the rights go back to Marvel
You don't seem to understand how anime are scheduled. I can't blame you for that since I don't have much knowledge of that either but that is one aspect you don't have to worry. The producers(studios) and others in the industry knows what to do.

Whether or not those merchandise sell or not while the anime is on hiatus is based on how popular the anime is. If it's popular, it will continue to sell, if not it'll die out.

There is no point in forcing sales if you're gonna come out sub par standard fillers.
Old 2013-08-05, 13:19   Link #2536
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Well this IS a thread for venting about disliking popular shows, he isn't exactly entitled to explaining why he doesn't like it... Admittedly I too got into a rather lengthy argument with someone about One Piece here once, but that was less a case of "Someone insulting one of my favorite shows" and more "Someone making tons of baseless and objectively incorect accusations about one of my favorite shows in a manner that made it clear that said someone can't have ever given the show much of a chance to begin with."

...That said, nowadays I have started developing a pretty intense disliking of the anime. Mainly because Toei keeps being so utterly dirt-cheap, ruining pretty much every cool moment from the manga, and their utter refusal to ever do filler-arcs resulting in them being forced to do the series at a one chapter = one episode pace... which is working out absolutely terribly these days, not at all helped by how extremely lazy their attempts at filling out time are.
Oh, and the fanservice. Dammit Toei, when the Straw Hats are in the middle of a gigantic epic battle to free an entire kingdom, blowing the entire episode's budget on a lovingly animated shot of Nami's boobs is not what you should be doing!

I wasn't forcing him to explain it though. I was curious just why he find it awful. I guess giving some "because" might be better

You should read the manga then since I myself don't follow the anime that much. I know what you feel on the Nami fanservice though. I hate Nami I'm fine with the Fanservice in general although how unnecessary it is most of the time in OP is annoying. Fairy Tail has like one of the worst Fanservice though. Both the manga and anime
Old 2013-08-06, 18:52   Link #2537
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
I wasn't forcing him to explain it though. I was curious just why he find it awful. I guess giving some "because" might be better

You should read the manga then since I myself don't follow the anime that much. I know what you feel on the Nami fanservice though. I hate Nami I'm fine with the Fanservice in general although how unnecessary it is most of the time in OP is annoying. Fairy Tail has like one of the worst Fanservice though. Both the manga and anime
For whatever its worth, my own reasons for not liking One Piece are mostly that I have always found the character design to just be stupid looking, and the premise seems to be somewhere along the lines of "pirates of dark water meets the gummi bears". You're not the first person I've heard say that the manga is significantly better though, so I don't know, maybe I'll give a chapter or two a read at some point. Maybe.

http://www.therealmuffin.net

http://music.therealmuffin.net</plug>
Old 2013-08-13, 07:52   Link #2538
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

Quote:
For whatever its worth, my own reasons for not liking One Piece are mostly that I have always found the character design to just be stupid looking, and the premise seems to be somewhere along the lines of "pirates of dark water meets the gummi bears". You're not the first person I've heard say that the manga is significantly better though, so I don't know, maybe I'll give a chapter or two a read at some point. Maybe.
so your basis for hating one piece was the drawing itself not the storyline, not to mention you haven't even read it yet. well i had difficulty starting one piece, but then i got addicted to it in the end

Quote:
"character designs to be stupid looking"
this is quite subjective
Old 2013-08-13, 16:39   Link #2539
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
You wouldn't like Aku no Hana character design then. It was a pain for me to watch cos I wanted to see how the story rolls out but then the story wasn't as good as I would have expected of a psychological thriller.
Old 2013-08-13, 17:27   Link #2540
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohowell View Post
so your basis for hating one piece was the drawing itself not the storyline, not to mention you haven't even read it yet.
Well, anime is a visual medium. Anybody who knows me at all, knows that I'm very big on the importance of storytelling/writing in anime, but if an anime looks bad to a viewer, that's a considerable negative. There are some anime shows that I found hard to get into due to its character designs.