AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-12, 11:26   Link #21
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
4 is one fo my biggest pet peeves against the franchise, as an anime watcher I should NOT need to read the tie-in manga to get the connection between Nanoha, Subaru and a random bridge bunny who only appears five minutes in one episode, I should NOT be TOLD about Nanoha's accident, instead I should be SHOWN that accident in its grim and bleak glory.
This. Very much this.

Small, irrelevant slice-of-the life scenes? Fine, use Sound Stages and the manga for those.

Important scenes that gave a much large insight on a character, such as the accident or the deal with his father's near-death and the impact on her? Those are something that belonged in the main adaptation.

On a related note, there's a lot of unexplored territory to venture into just like how Star Wars EU are more than Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and the droids, but everyone and their grandmother knows that the creators would never step out of that comfort zone and make a story without any appearance whatsoever of the main cast. Which is a shame because there are truckloads of story potential there: centuries of Belkan Expansionist Era, fall of the Belkan homeworld, the Unification War, pre-TSAB Midchilda, the mysteries of Alhazard, the previous Book of Darkness incident...but they can't attach nude pics of Nanoha and Fate to those stories, could they?
Old 2011-12-12, 11:55   Link #22
Sunder the Gold

I would also like a reboot of the series, though I also sadly agree that it's not going to happen, since we have the movies.

Well, a reboot in the form of OVA might be possible, like with Hellsing Ultimate. But what would they do differently that they didn't already do with the movies?

I'd like to see more of Yuuno and Raising Heart's past explored, but Tsuzuki has just given us one big off-screen hand wave with Raising Heart, and only diminished Yuuno's importance. If he really did never care before, it certainly doesn't seem like he'll care in the future.

If StrikerS and beyond get movies, we might be able to hope for more details on pre-TSAB history and the three or four or more empires duking it out, but that's the most I could hope for.
Old 2011-12-12, 12:19   Link #23
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Important scenes that gave a much large insight on a character, such as the accident or the deal with his father's near-death and the impact on her? Those are something that belonged in the main adaptation.
I'd say these two examples are good use of tie-ins. For the progression of the plot, all we needed to know was that there was an accident with Nanoha's father and herself. That's it. The finer details aren't directly relevant to the plot, so a full-blown flashback would only serve to destroy the pacing. Using tie-ins to explain the details that can't be properly explained in an anime is a perfect use of the media available.

A better example of terrible tie-ins is the whole Fate/Erio/Caro dynamic. That was never touched upon in the anime, yet essential during Fate's climactic fight. Not to mention that much of it included basic character development for Erio and Caro, two main characters in the anime, yet barely developed there at all. That is an example of terrible use of tie-ins.

As for what I'd personally like to see... I'd like to see the PSP-verse explored more. This time watching the girls grow up instead of grown up.
Old 2011-12-12, 12:29   Link #24
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I wanna see Erio go berserk (and Fate's Marshmallow Hell), Caro's past, Subaru and Teana's past... They might split the strikers movie into two or something (6 hours).
Old 2011-12-12, 14:03   Link #25
Sunder the Gold

I want to see why Yuuno took a job with the Infinity Library instead of reuniting with his family; he even did so without their permission, which technically wasnt even legal. Were they simply not on Midchilda during and after A's, and unavailable to contact wherever they had gone to dig something up?

Having the Scrya Clan come rushing onto the screen for the first time shouting about the new horror they unleashed would be a nice set-up for a new season with all the old characters, set on a new world.
Old 2011-12-12, 14:09   Link #26
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
It's pretty clear that Scrya clan members are awared a certain amount of freedom. He likely didn't need their permission.
Old 2011-12-12, 14:13   Link #27
Skane
Anime Snark

Yuuno's Father: "You spent years around a bevy of single beauties and you haven't even gotten to first base yet? Son, I am disappoint."

Old 2011-12-12, 21:54   Link #28
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
As for what I'd personally like to see... I'd like to see the PSP-verse explored more. This time watching the girls grow up instead of grown up.
And that is one of the reason why I'm interested in the PSP-verse. However I am also worried that they might screw up this universe, and make everything "In Spite of a Nail" and they will ended up like their Strikers version. 1st Movie Manga anyone?
Old 2011-12-12, 23:12   Link #29
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

If you'd like more of the PSP verse, well... Play the PSP games

Though in light of what Keroko said, there's always the gap between A's and StrikerS that a new installment could explore.
Old 2011-12-12, 23:46   Link #30
Sunder the Gold

Exploring the PSP verse is something I can get behind. It features Hayate actually learning how to fight, for one thing. That's just not something I can see Signum letting her get away with after ten years.

But I hope they'd leave off Gears of Destiny, because I hate the idea of Reliable Time-Traveling Technology and Time Police. Time travel and alternate universes simply open too many cans of worms, especially when used by bad writers.

Besides, there's no reason to put Yuuno off until Gears of Destiny if even Chrono had Materials made from his memories, since he didn't get his Linker Core taken either!
Old 2011-12-12, 23:48   Link #31
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
although there's not much difference between dimensional travel and parallel worlds, it's just proximity |3

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-12-12, 23:56   Link #32
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
although there's not much difference between dimensional travel and parallel worlds, it's just prox
Nope.

Subspace. It's just subspace travel from one solar system to another. The universe is too big for a franchise to need MULTIPLE universes, especially when you have spaceships.
Old 2011-12-13, 00:45   Link #33
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

I'd prefer that, but not sure that was the term they used.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-12-13, 00:53   Link #34
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
I'd prefer that, but not sure that was the term they used.
Perhaps not, but that is effectively how it is used, so that is how I treat it.
Old 2011-12-13, 01:15   Link #35
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

My prefered method of time travel is moving to a parallel universe that is 99% the same as your own universe, the 1% being that it's x units of time in the past/future.

No messy paradoxes that way.
Old 2011-12-13, 01:20   Link #36
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Well, you being there causes it to do that. Although You being there means there's a world you didn't go to. Hehe

Old 2011-12-13, 02:03   Link #37
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
My prefered method of time travel is moving to a parallel universe that is 99% the same as your own universe, the 1% being that it's x units of time in the past/future.

No messy paradoxes that way.
But that falls into Alternative Universe cheese and plotholes, which is nearly as bad.

Other planets are enough for other worlds.
Old 2011-12-13, 04:23   Link #38
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Hey best part, if you make a mistake, try again :3

Old 2011-12-13, 06:43   Link #39
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
If you'd like more of the PSP verse, well... Play the PSP games
But I want moar! I want manga's, I want anime's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Nope.

Subspace. It's just subspace travel from one solar system to another. The universe is too big for a franchise to need MULTIPLE universes, especially when you have spaceships.
Considering they're actively calling it dimensional travel... yeah, no, we already have alternate universes. The entire Nanohaverse is based around them, so I don't see the problem.

And I don't see a reason to leave out Gears of Destiny either. Sure, it introduces time traveling, but I don't see that as a massive problem. It might actually give a more direct meaning meaning to the time part in the time space administration bureau's name.
Old 2011-12-13, 07:34   Link #40
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It might actually give a more direct meaning meaning to the time part in the time space administration bureau's name.

Wasn't it supposed to be Space-Time Administration Bureau, and the only reason we never use that was because STAB isn't exactly a benevolent-sounding acronym?

Besides, IIRC the Movie used the term Dimension Administration Bureau