AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-19, 09:57   Link #22081
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Drinking water from the faucet! Why on earth would someone do that?

Speaking about conspiracies, Stuxnet cyberattack by US a 'destabilizing and dangerous' course of action, security expert Bruce Schneier says
If you lived in a country with proper regulations the water from the faucet would actually be better in 99% of the times, than any bottled water you can buy.
Old 2012-06-19, 10:08   Link #22082
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
If you lived in a country with proper regulations the water from the faucet would actually be better in 99% of the times, than any bottled water you can buy.
Plus, you don't have to spend money for something than you can get for free ( and waste parkage) .
Old 2012-06-19, 10:13   Link #22083
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Plus, you don't have to spend money for something than you can get for free ( and waste parkage) .
Not restaurants. I used to work as a weekend school-holiday dishwasher in one where they charge people for a jug of tap water.

A waiter who sarcastically pointed out that the money was used to pay for the refrigerator cooling got an earful.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:55   Link #22084
Bri

Quote:
Ah, but regulation is part of the "conspiracy", think Vexx referred to this one:

Shame general Jack D. Ripper looks rather "moderate" to some politicians out there today
Old 2012-06-19, 12:07   Link #22085
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thank goodness I've never sullied my precious bodily fluids!

I was surprised to learn recently that General Ripper would be happy to live in most European countries where fluoridation is no longer practiced. Fluoridation has been a staple research subject among academics studying public attitudes toward science. It's a good case study of the disjunction between scientific and popular opinion as disputes over fluoridation have extended over a much longer period than more recent controversies like global warming or mandatory HPV vaccinations.

Dr. Strangelove remains firmly in my top-50 films all time, maybe higher. Even now you see references to our "precious bodily fluids" and "purity of essence" like this parody of Glenn Beck by Jon Stewart. If you watch the movie carefully, especially the scenes over the Soviet Union, you'll see the origins of Wally Veever's and Stanley Kubrick's matte work that was later brilliantly refined in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-19 at 12:51.
Old 2012-06-19, 12:26   Link #22086
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Not restaurants. I used to work as a weekend school-holiday dishwasher in one where they charge people for a jug of tap water.

A waiter who sarcastically pointed out that the money was used to pay for the refrigerator cooling got an earful.
Restaurants are here to make money, not a public faucet. Plus more and more commerce are being charged for the water they use.
Old 2012-06-19, 15:58   Link #22087
Zakoo

Julian Assange has requested political asylum and is under the protection of the Ecuadorian embassy in London

Sauce

I never had the chance to know, as US citizens what you guys think of wikileaks since it hits more on you than others countries.
Old 2012-06-19, 16:15   Link #22088
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Most bottled water--not counting the real expensive stuff like Fiji and Evian--is just water from the faucet that's been filtered.
Old 2012-06-19, 16:38   Link #22089
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Julian Assange has requested political asylum and is under the protection of the Ecuadorian embassy in London

Sauce

I never had the chance to know, as US citizens what you guys think of wikileaks since it hits more on you than others countries.
I think a lot of dimwits in government who are technically illiterate got their knickers in a wad over stuff they never should have committed to file in the first place. I think the outrage was 99% claptrap - its more like the Pentagon papers, some government officials should have been cashiered over it.

Instead we have this horrid spectacle of the treatment of the guy who may have supplied the leak material (one guy with access to that broad a spectrum???? That is not how classified ops is supposed to work -which only emphasizes how incompetent the system has gotten).

I used to work black ops projects and frankly, I found it much more damning of the current crop of officialdom than of Assange.
Old 2012-06-19, 17:19   Link #22090
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The water recipients are used again. Even with the is9001 certification I do not trust the pipeline water has to go thru, how long ago was the water pipeline of your city bult?
Old 2012-06-19, 17:27   Link #22091
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Which is one of the reasons we have a reverse osmosis filteration system for our drinking water.

Also to fill the fish tank since they started adding chlorides to the water that will kill the fish.
Old 2012-06-19, 18:19   Link #22092
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Insight: Nomura collides with Japan's insider trading crackdown
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85I1LA20120619
Old 2012-06-19, 18:39   Link #22093
flying ^

Looks like these people didn't get the memo... The doom & gloom prospects (watch US news!) and time/money/stress associated with the Legal Path should easily dissuade those contemplating of settling here.

Asian immigrants to U.S. surpass Hispanics for first time

Quote:
Asians have surpassed Hispanics as the largest group of new immigrants to the United States, according to a new study from the Pew Research Center.

The study, called "The Rise of Asian-Americans" and released on Tuesday, reveals that Asian-Americans also have the highest income, are the best-educated and are the fastest-growing racial group in America.
Quote:
The influx of Asians reflects "a slowdown in illegal immigration while American employers increase their demand for high-skilled workers," the Associated Press said.

"The educational credentials of these recent [Asian] arrivals are striking," the report said. Sixty-one percent of 25-to-64-year-old Asian immigrants come with at least a bachelor's degree--more than double non-Asian immigrants, making the recent Asian arrivals "the most highly educated cohort of immigrants in U.S. history."

The study also found that Asian-Americans are "more satisfied than the general public with their lives, finances and the direction of the country, and they place a greater value on marriage, parenthood, hard work and career success."

Now for those who will try to do it step-by-step the right way (the right way like my short-fused buddy on fb just did)... you will be bloodied, you'll receive some (what's akin to some as) 'battle scars' to prove it. Once you completed this grueling naturalization process you earn my utmost respect!
Old 2012-06-19, 18:56   Link #22094
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Funny. I worked for that Census. We had a specific question on if someone was Hispanic or not (and from where...be it themselves, or their great-great grandparents). Then we'd have a question on what they identified themselves as...and "Hispanic" was not an acceptible answer (as their are European Hispanics (white), Native American Hispanics, and Black Hispanics). Some did not want to answer the question, fearing Immigration I think. Or course the Census, don't care if you are legal or not. They just want numbers and statistics for the voting block in Congress.

The origns question was muliple choice as you could be one, some, or all the possible origins on the planet. After I got an answer out of one guy who didn't identify with his origin and had me put down "Native American: Aztec" I told him I was to put whatever he said. I would have put down "Klingon" if that was what he identifed as. (I probably would have been questioned on it by my superiors, but they said, 'if you can't get a reasonable answer after asking twice, you put down what the person said').
Old 2012-06-19, 21:18   Link #22095
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

We the Vulcans are, logically, the superior race. V.
Old 2012-06-19, 22:29   Link #22096
Sumeragi
Banned

My question: What kind of Asian?
Old 2012-06-19, 22:39   Link #22097
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

US Census had the following options specifically that covered the continent of Asia:

Asian Indian
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Vietnamese
Other Asian (What is that Group? -> fill in the blank)

There were no Middle Eastern options specifically. I had to write in few Afghan and the like.
Old 2012-06-19, 22:46   Link #22098
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

So Russians could also be in the "asiatic" demographic O_O
Old 2012-06-19, 22:48   Link #22099
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think a lot of dimwits in government who are technically illiterate got their knickers in a wad over stuff they never should have committed to file in the first place. I think the outrage was 99% claptrap - its more like the Pentagon papers, some government officials should have been cashiered over it.

Instead we have this horrid spectacle of the treatment of the guy who may have supplied the leak material (one guy with access to that broad a spectrum???? That is not how classified ops is supposed to work -which only emphasizes how incompetent the system has gotten).

I used to work black ops projects and frankly, I found it much more damning of the current crop of officialdom than of Assange.
Yes thank you! This is exactly my feeling, though put much more elaquent than I could ever hope~ I feel this whole targeting of Assange is rather silly. You're absolutely right that it is not just one guy, yet they target him and villianize him. It's weird because it seems to be the mode the government seems to be on: Villianize one guy make him like a devil and have everyone scorn him.
Old 2012-06-19, 23:30   Link #22100
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Russian wasn't a specific option. "White" was an option that covers a lot of ground and is rather generic.

If one didn't identify with the options presented, "other" was a choice, and then whatever they said was written down. There were three Four "fill in the blank" options. The first was for specific tribes/nations under Native American. Their was "Other Asian" and "Other Pacific Islander". And their was just Other, if you felt you didn't fit into any of the Government's pegs.

(There were other options, just none specificly for Asia)

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international